LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

LSU has acknowledged NCAA violations in a report outlining the university's internal investigation into the recruiting of wide receiver Akeim Hicks.

In the 53-page report, LSU said it found violations committed by former Tigers receivers coach D.J. McCarthy, including improper phone calls, transportation and summer housing for Hicks, a junior college transfer. Hicks did not play in 2009, his only season with the team, and his scholarship was not renewed. He has since left the university.

Had Hicks played, the Tigers would have potentially faced forfeits of any victories in which he participated.

McCarthy was not allowed to recruit last fall, after the school launched its investigation, and has not been retained on LSU's staff.

"We stand ready to assist the NCAA with any further information they may need to complete this process," LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in a release announcing the findings.

"It is a very serious matter any time violations of NCAA rules are discovered, but I take comfort in the fact we have a compliance program in place that discovered these issues early and took swift action to minimize the severity of the situation," Alleva said.

LSU chancellor Michael Martin said he believes the school avoided "potentially more severe sanctions" because the school detected the violations early and took the proper disciplinary measures.

Chris Low covers the SEC for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Forget grades, he's just not good.
Startin to look like it

on top of that he's a fat lazy POS. 3 yrs in a row he has been completely out of shape
thats horrible

smh.gif
30 lbs overweight

Darrell is lazy and he went into CU like he was owed the starting job and loads of carries...

Rodney Stewart went in there and snatched up all DS's snaps.

Deonte, dude better produce this year
smh.gif

He looks like he is 40 years old, dude looks older than Michael Irvin

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

where did you hear that about thompkins jay? just this morning it was said he is still trying to get into UCLA

and
roll.gif
@ grades been the reason Dscott cant get into cincy. that schools takes ANYONE, Dscott grades are *%%#(which is why UCLA said no to him) but not *%%# enough for cincy

I never said he couldn't get in. His grades aren't good that's why he wasn't offered. I don't go to the school it's not like I have pride in their academics
laugh.gif
, I could give a @+%$ less.

[h1]Black recruits called over trustee flap[/h1]

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Black lawmakers are urging black football recruits to reconsider playing for the University of South Carolina because the school could lose its lone black trustee.

State Rep. David Weeks, chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he doesn't think there are enough votes in the Legislature to get lawyer Leah B. Moody appointed to a full term on the 22-member board next month.

She is the board's only black member and is finishing the term of a trustee who resigned before pleading guilty to bank fraud.

"We are asking young athletes to be aware ... there are folks in this state who say it's fine to play ball but not be on the governing board," Weeks said.

With that many board members, to not have a single African-American and to send the message around this world that this body does not care about diversity but yet we want to recruit black athletes? You can't send that mixed message.

Most programs are about waist-deep into spring football by now, while a bunch of others are about to get into action. This week's Top 10 list: The early-enrollee freshmen to keep an eye on, because they'll have the best shot at making an impact in 2010.

1. Jake Heaps, Brigham Young Cougars, QB
Max Hall is gone, and the search for the Cougars' new QB is on. Heaps isn't one of those prototype 6-foot-4, 220-pound pocket passers with a laser arm. He's kinda Detmeresque in stature. He's slight and less imposing, but don't underestimate his skills. He's accurate, has good feet and is very savvy. All he did in his last three seasons of high school in Washington was throw for over 9,100 yards, 114 touchdowns and just 18 interceptions in leading his team, Skyline High, to three consecutive state championships. Heaps is the kind of quarterback whom you like more the more you watch him. His main competition is junior Riley Nelson and sophomore James Lark, with former hot-shot recruit Jason Munns set to return from a mission in August. Heaps, according to observers, has been very sharp in spring ball. "Jake is far beyond his years. For an 18-year-old young man, he should be 18 right now, but he's not. He's acting like a 23-year-old veteran," QB coach Brandon Doman told Jeff Call. "That's very unique. That's his No. 1 strength right now -- his maturity and confidence for how young he is. It allows him to succeed out there. He's also been trained well. Credit his coaches who have trained him through the years."

2. DeMarcus Milliner, Alabama Crimson Tide, CB
The Tide will be the preseason No. 1 team in the country, but there are some questions surrounding Nick Saban's squad. The biggest will be an inexperienced secondary. Bama actually lost SIX cornerbacks from the 2009 team, including starters Javier Arenas and Kareem Jackson. But nobody prepares DBs better than Saban. Fellow early enrollee CB John Fulton also will be watched closely, but it's the nimble 6-2, 180-pound Milliner who has folks around the state most excited.

3. Kyle Prater, USC Trojans, WR
Both Prater and classmate Dillon Baxter had teammates raving after a few weeks of offseason workouts. The 6-5, 210-pound Prater has displayed reliable hands and a gritty work ethic. The offense lost its top receiver in Damian Williams. Prater is a different type of receiver than the shifty Williams, but he could be the kind of target that emerges as Matt Barkley's go-to guy very quickly.

4. Storm Johnson, Miami Hurricanes, RB
The most hyped member of the Canes' recruiting class, Johnson is battling with a few other promising young backs -- the staff is high on versatile Mike James and speedy Lamar Miller -- for playing time behind projected starter Damien Berry. Johnson, though, may be too talented to not play right away. The 218-pounder has created quite a buzz inside the program. Coach Randy Shannon, who rarely throws around superlatives, called Johnson "electrifying." The Georgia native is physical and fast (he says he ran a 4.38 40 earlier this winter in testing). He's already turned heads in a scrimmage, running for 104 yards on 10 carries that included a 52-yard TD burst.

5. Joshua Shaw, Florida Gators, CB
You could name any one of a crew of new Gators for a spot here. I almost went with safety Matt Elam and TE Gerald Christian, especially since UF has to replace Aaron Hernandez, but I'm going with Shaw, whom some UF insiders think will have a good shot at being the man to replace Joe Haden.

6. Jeff Luc, Florida State Seminoles, LB
One of the better quotes we've heard from a coach this year was new FSU LB coach Greg Hudson's "You're either a Jedi Knight or you're not" line in regard to tackling. The Noles' defense, which was very suspect last season, signed a lot of highly touted defensive players. Luc, a rock-solid 6 foot, 245-pounder, is as hyped as any of them. And thus far he's impressing his fellow linebackers. There is a big hole with Dakoda Watson moving on to the NFL, although Nigel Carr, who reportedly has matured a lot, is the guy to beat for that spot.

7. JaWuan James, Tennessee Volunteers, OT
The Vols' O-line was decimated by graduation, and it's asking a lot to expect a true freshman to jump in, especially at left tackle. But the 6-6, 300-pound James is no typical rookie. Coaches love his athleticism and footwork. They also say he's very bright and determined.

8. Khairi Fortt, Penn State Nittany Lions, LB
"Linebacker U" has three big holes to fill, as all three starting LBs from last season -- Sean Lee, Navorro Bowman and Josh Hull -- have moved on to the NFL. Enter Fortt, an explosive 6-3 athlete from Connecticut, who is said to be a downhill force against the run with the agility to operate well in space.

9. Jeffrey Godfrey, UCF Knights, QB
The spindly, 5-11 170-pounder from Miami has evoked some comparisons to Pat White with his playmaking skills. He isn't even as big as White, but his feet are superb, and his arm is strong too. Right now, he's battling Rob Calabrese for the starting job and impressing UCF coaches with his poise.

10. Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma Sooners, DB
A big catch for Bob Stoops out of California, Jefferson has drawn some comparisons to another Sooners DB from California, Roy Williams, for his hitting ability. Jefferson probably has more range and, depending on how quickly he can grasp the system, he could get into the rotation and possibly make a run at the vacant strong safety job.

Id be very disappointed if Godfrey doesnt beat at Calabrese.

so far best early enrollee's we have are Jacques Smith, Ted Meline and Matt Milton.

Our biggest early enrollee is obviously Devin Gardner but at this point he isn't going to pass TF or DRob. I heard DRob is looking pretty good and won't be so one dimensional this year.

ND notes..

Perhaps one of the most importanttopics surrounding the program, Kelly updated the progress of DayneCrist’s health. According to the Irish coach, the sophomore quarterbackis ahead of schedule following his knee surgery to repair a torn ACLlast November.

“Oh, I think we could play with him,

On the impact freshman thing.. It sounds like Luke Joeckel is gonna have a real chance to start at LT from day one for Texas A&M.. Getting in early and getting snaps in the spring is huge for him... Woulda been nice to get Matthews in the fold too.

[h3]Urban Meyer verbally attacks newspaper reporter after Florida practice[/h3]

So much for the mellow Urban Meyer. The Gators coach ripped into a media member on Wednesday for reporting a quote from a Florida wide receiver that seemed critical of former quarterback Tim Tebow.

Jeremy Fowler of the Orlando Sentinel quoted Deonte Thompson talking about his excitement of playing with new signal caller John Brantley.
"Younever know with Tim," Thompson said. "You can bolt, you think he'srunning but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be readyat all times. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, time. You knowwhat I mean, a real quarterback."

Meyer felt thecomment was taken out of context and let Fowler know on Wednesday bythreatening to take away the newspaper's credentials.
"You'llbe out of practice. ... you understand that? ... if you do that again,"Meyer said as he pointed at Fowler. "I told you (the media) five yearsago: Don't mess with our players. Don't do it. You did it.

"You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel's not welcome here ever again. Is that clear? It's yes or no."

Fowleroffered this defense: "Urban, come on. Don't make any threats. That'sfine. I'll play by the rules. ... I'll play by the rules, but all I wasdoing is quoting the guy. I don't think I was the only one."

Meyer response: "You're a bad guy, man. You're a bad guy."

As Meyer started to walk away, Fowler said, "Thanks, Urban. I appreciate that."

Meyer turned around and then pointed at Fowler, and said: "If it was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Fowler offered his analysis of the event in his blog.
"Thisstory is already out there, so I just figured I'd present my side.Coaches get mad, so they approach reporters about it. I get that. Areporter's probably not doing his or her job without getting blastedonce in awhile.

But maybe Meyer felt like making a statement.Considering a guy who is trying to suppress his stress level, hisdoctors probably would have frowned on today's incident.

Meyerhas not addressed the media for interviews since last Wednesday.Players and coaches are currently off limits until further notice.

I will be at Friday's practice, with questions ready."

Originally Posted by ddot7

[h1]Black recruits called over trustee flap[/h1]

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Black lawmakers are urging black football recruits to reconsider playing for the University of South Carolina because the school could lose its lone black trustee.

State Rep. David Weeks, chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he doesn't think there are enough votes in the Legislature to get lawyer Leah B. Moody appointed to a full term on the 22-member board next month.

She is the board's only black member and is finishing the term of a trustee who resigned before pleading guilty to bank fraud.

"We are asking young athletes to be aware ... there are folks in this state who say it's fine to play ball but not be on the governing board," Weeks said.

With that many board members, to not have a single African-American and to send the message around this world that this body does not care about diversity but yet we want to recruit black athletes? You can't send that mixed message.

tennessee Rumor, theres a DB from Memphis Lonnie Ballantine, posed to be a monster, he's a 2011 kid but has decided to reclass to a 2010 kid. people are saying he will sign a LOI on Monday and we're the favorites. I cant get a confirm tho. If this happens Coach Dooley will look like a genius for turning away a  3* guy who wanted to commit on signing day. if not,
ohwell.gif
we sure coulda used more depth

but the reclass is weird, thats more of a basketball thing.
I think Memphis might pull a Calvin Smith and land a Big time player with Coach Porter

[table]RANKINGS[tr][th=""]POSITION[/th] [th=""]NATIONAL[/th] [th=""]STATE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]no rating[/td] [td]no rating[/td] [td]no rating[/td] [/tr][/table]Rivals Rating

LONNIEBALLENTINE8_18150.JPG
View Photo Gallery (3)
Safety
Memphis, Tennessee
Southwind
View Map
  • Ht:6'3"
  • Wt:193 lbs
  • 40:4.5 secs
  • Shuttle:4.64
  • Vertical:33 inches
  • Class:2011 (High School)

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

ima be real mad if Godfrey ends up being better then stephen morris
laugh.gif
Uncle Luke was ranting about this on twitter the other day.
smh.gif

I  know u seen Godfrey play.... what u think?
He's gonna be a beast in the right system. But he's a great athlete playing QB, not a great QB. We didn't recruit him because he didn't fit our "system".
eyes.gif
Think he could be a good college QB though in the spread.

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

[h3]Urban Meyer verbally attacks newspaper reporter after Florida practice[/h3]

So much for the mellow Urban Meyer. The Gators coach ripped into a media member on Wednesday for reporting a quote from a Florida wide receiver that seemed critical of former quarterback Tim Tebow.

Jeremy Fowler of the Orlando Sentinel quoted Deonte Thompson talking about his excitement of playing with new signal caller John Brantley.
"Younever know with Tim," Thompson said. "You can bolt, you think he'srunning but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be readyat all times. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, time. You knowwhat I mean, a real quarterback."

Meyer felt thecomment was taken out of context and let Fowler know on Wednesday bythreatening to take away the newspaper's credentials.
"You'llbe out of practice. ... you understand that? ... if you do that again,"Meyer said as he pointed at Fowler. "I told you (the media) five yearsago: Don't mess with our players. Don't do it. You did it.

"You do it one more time and the Orlando Sentinel's not welcome here ever again. Is that clear? It's yes or no."

Fowleroffered this defense: "Urban, come on. Don't make any threats. That'sfine. I'll play by the rules. ... I'll play by the rules, but all I wasdoing is quoting the guy. I don't think I was the only one."

Meyer response: "You're a bad guy, man. You're a bad guy."

As Meyer started to walk away, Fowler said, "Thanks, Urban. I appreciate that."

Meyer turned around and then pointed at Fowler, and said: "If it was my son, we'd be going at it right now."

Fowler offered his analysis of the event in his blog.
"Thisstory is already out there, so I just figured I'd present my side.Coaches get mad, so they approach reporters about it. I get that. Areporter's probably not doing his or her job without getting blastedonce in awhile.

But maybe Meyer felt like making a statement.Considering a guy who is trying to suppress his stress level, hisdoctors probably would have frowned on today's incident.

Meyerhas not addressed the media for interviews since last Wednesday.Players and coaches are currently off limits until further notice.

I will be at Friday's practice, with questions ready."

eyes.gif

Aight just watch the video and it wasn't as bad as it appeared in writing.  I got the impression that it was in a media session...

... but STILL... can FSU/UM please step up and take this dude of his pedestal.

Back
Top Bottom