LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

this dude Nako be postin full articles of Old news
laugh.gif

Patrick Patterson has been kicked off the Ole Miss team.

laugh.gif
I don't have memberships to any of the Insider sites so it's the only way I can feel like I'm contributing.  Stop hatin on me Gunna!!
roll.gif

And with that said...

[h1]Tennessee says no to Kiffin, USC[/h1]

By Bruce Feldman
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

In the latest round of the Lane Kiffin-Tennessee saga, the USC coach approached the Volunteers about meeting in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

Tennessee, the program Kiffin abruptly left for USC early this year, declined the invitation.

Reached for comment on Wednesday afternoon, Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said, "We told [USC] we could play 'em in a few years but we can't make it work with our schedule next year."

Hamilton said he was initially approached about the potential match-up a few months ago by Gary Stokan, the Chick-fil-A Bowl president and CEO. Hamilton also said Kiffin had recently sent him some text messages about the proposal.

The Vols' tentative 2011 schedule as of now includes home games against Cincinnati, Georgia and LSU and road games at Florida, North Carolina, Alabama and Arkansas.

I just found out that my old high school got invited up to Beaverton, Oregon for the Nike 7 on 7 National Tournament
pimp.gif

Too bad they play Tampa Plant and Miami Northwestern in the first two games
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tmay407

I just found out that my old high school got invited up to Beaverton, Oregon for the Nike 7 on 7 National Tournament
pimp.gif

Too bad they play Tampa Plant and Miami Northwestern in the first two games
laugh.gif
I just saw that Cleveland Glenville will be there, too. I'll have to flip back and forth between this and LBJ's announcement...never watched one of these 7 on 7s before.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

someone with a Rivals account do me a favor and post the article on http://flavarsity.rivals.com/ titles "getting away" ... thanks
If it's the one titled "In the Zone: Time to get away?" by Michael Langston, I can't access it for some reason. I guess it's locked to only subscribers of that specific site.

Byron Moore leaving USC. Heading to community college. Dad says he's leaving for personal reasons and not because of sanctions.

Yea Michael L wrote it...

Im still
laugh.gif
at CLK trying to cover up the apology SC had to send out by playin up a bogus offer to play Vols.

He always has some thin on deck to cover up some bad %*+%.

like when he had the Byrnes boys announce Vol commit rite after getting beat by Florida.

pimp.gif
I still Like Lane mannnn

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

[h2]/a.espncdn.com/i/blog/sec.png&sectionUrl=/blog/sec&sectionPadding=">http://a.espncdn.com/i/bl.../sec&sectionPadding=" name="flashVars">[/h2]

[h3]Meyer likes the look of new WRs[/h3]
March, 18, 2010
Mar 18

4:00

PM ET

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/9637/meyer-likes-the-look-of-new-wrs#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://espn.go.com/blog/s...%20new%20WRs&id=9637">http://sendtofriend.espn.... new WRs&id=9637','sendtofriend','noresizable,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" class="email">Email Print Share

By Ivan Maisel

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida’s search for playmakers outside the hashmarks is no secret. Alabama exposed the Gators’ lack of game-changing receivers in the SEC Championship Game last December. That’s one reason coach Urban Meyer’s top-rated recruiting class included six wideouts, two of whom enrolled at Florida in January. Meyer praised one of the newbie Gators, Solomon Patton, after the first practice of the spring Thursday.

“The guy that looks really good to me is Patton, that little guy who runs really fast,

Bridgewater, who is committed to Miami, preaches the gospel of The U wherever he goes. He also doesn't entertain many calls from other suitors. "I have a button on my phone that says Ignore," Bridgewater said. "And I do use it." When the Express visited Florida State on June 29, Bridgewater laughed when tour guides shooed Express players off the grass at Doak Campbell Stadium. "I'm going to tear up this field in a few years," Bridgewater said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...07/committed-players/index.html#ixzz0t3xAh8oX

Teddy Heisman.
pimp.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]USC won't be ranked in coaches' poll[/h2]

ESPN.com news services

This will be an unranked season for USC in USA Today's football coaches' poll.

Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, told USA Today that because the school is under major NCAA sanctions and prohibited from playing in a bowl, it will be ineligible for the poll.

USC filed an appeal with the NCAA last month, asking that several sanctions of its football program be reduced because they are "too severe" and "inconsistent with precedent."

USC appealed only certain aspects of the NCAA's ruling. Among the penalties were a two-year bowl ban, four years of probation, scholarship losses and removal of several victories. The school will accept a bowl ban for the upcoming season and certain scholarship penalties in football, but believes the full sanctions were unduly harsh.

According to USA Today, it was expected that USC would be eligible for the coaches' poll in 2010 because it planned to appeal, but because the school accepted the postseason ban for this season, it became ineligible for the poll.

Teaff released a statement in which he said the AFCA informed USC athletic director Mike Garrett, USC coach Lane Kiffin, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott and BCS executive director Bill Hancock that the Trojans would be ineligible for the 2010 coaches' poll.

The coaches' poll is one of the rankings used in the formula to determine the BCS standings.

"American Football Coaches Association policy dictates that AFCA members who serve on the board of voters to determine national ranking shall not vote on any institution on major probation," Teaff said in the statement.

"Penalties imposed by the NCAA, or a representative conference, are classified as 'major' if the penalties include loss of postseason bowl participation and/or television appearances, and/or loss of 20 percent or more of grants in aid."

The NCAA's sanctions will not prevent USC from being considered for The Associated Press' poll, which is not part of the BCS formula.

In an e-mail to the Los Angeles Times last month, in which she said USC would keep its 2004 AP national title, AP sports editor Terry Taylor said: "The poll is intended to measure on-field performance. If teams are allowed to play, they're allowed to be ranked and USC certainly played in 2004."

Nike 7ON tournament kicks off

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Thursday is the start of the two-day Nike 7ON tournament.
This year's participating teams include Florida schools Northwestern (Miami), Plant (Tampa) and Dr. Phillips (Orlando). Other schools include Butler (Mathews, N.C.), Martin (Arlington, Texas), Glenville (Cleveland, Ohio), Gardena (Gardena, Calif.) and Guyer (Denton, Texas).
Defending champion Northwestern is led by quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (Miami/Miami Northwestern), who got in a good warmup for this tournament by leading his South Florida Express team to a championship at the Badger Nationals 7-on-7 in Tuscaloosa, Ala. last weekend.
Adding to the event, will be appearances by NFL All-Pros Chris Johnson, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin, Troy Polamalu and Antrel Rolle.
I will be doing play-by-play updates on my Twitter feed (@CoreyLong) and blogging game updates. Tom Luginbill is also here and all the games will be on ESPNU through the weekend.

Didn't know the games were going to be televised.
pimp.gif

Jabari Gorman and Anthony Chickillo will be Canes soon.
wink.gif

South Fla. squad earns BadgerSports title

MORE: Favorites emerge at BadgerSports championship | BadgerSports names All-Americans

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The championship game of the BadgerSports Elite 7on7 National Championship was held on the afternoon of the 4th of July. The last two teams standing were the Miami-based South Florida Express and the California-based 1925 All Stars. It was the premier matchup of the weekend and the two most highly touted teams at the event. With four-star and five-star prospects all over the field, it was a combustible atmosphere fitting of the holiday.

958570.jpg

Teddy Bridgewater helped lead his South Florida Express squad to the title.
In the championship game, there were as many as eight Rivals250 prospects on the field at the same time. There were also numerous players in the class of 2012 that project as highly rated prospects for next year. There were three USC commits, two Miami commits, one Florida commit and an Arizona State commit as well.

In a game that came down to the final play and lived up to all of the hype and expectations, the South Florida Express took home the title and it had the sterling play of its quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to thank.

Bridgewater made great decisions, showed good arm strength, accuracy and poise and marched his team to a score on each of the three times he had the ball. He distributed the ball equally between his four main targets: current and future teammate Eli Rogers, Boyd Anderson receiver Jesse York and a phenomenal pair of 2012 pass-catchers in Avery Johnson and Brandon Snell.

"For one, I think we played as a team," Bridgewater said following the championship. "I think I played a great game, kept my composure and didn't let the hype get to me and I was having a lot of fun out there. You know I'm all about having fun. Playing against California it's speed on speed, strength on strength, and they were just giving it to us and we were handing it back to them. It was a back-and-forth game."

The versatile Bridgewater has had doubters as to just how good he can be at the quarterback position. Following his championship performance, Bridgewater had no problem admitting that he looked forward to proving any doubters wrong with his performance.

"On Tuesday, I told coach that I hope some of the top quarterbacks in the country show up so that I can outplay them and show them that I deserve to be No. 1," he said. "It's just events like these that really help you get your name out there and help the scouts evaluate you with your progression reads and your mechanics and arm strength and accuracy."

Though there was no MVP awarded at the event, it would have been hard to go with anyone other than the Miami (Fla.) Northwestern star for the title. But the championship was a team effort and several other South Florida Express members stood out in victory.

Offensively, Snell and York in particular were nearly impossible to cover throughout the weekend. Neither seems to have remarkable speed but both have great feet, run great routes and catch everything. In the semifinals, Snell caught a one-handed touchdown that may have been the catch of the weekend. Johnson also has a world of potential, his catch-and-run on his team's final score showed terrific speed and essentially put a safety net beneath the Express victory.

958573.jpg

De'Anthony Thomas looked every bit a five-star prospect.
Defensively, a terrific secondary was led by Gerrod Holliman, junior Deon Bush, and Wayne Lyons. Each took turns making big pass breakups and interceptions, particularly when it mattered. Bush and Lyons each had game-saving breakups in the closing seconds of the championship game.

The opposite sideline did its part to add to the afternoon fireworks display primarily behind a very strong receiving corps. USC commits Victor Blackwell and junior Jordan Payton both made big catches throughout the afternoon. In fact, if not for leg cramps with Blackwell late in the game, the final attempts to tie the game may have been drastically different. Devin Lucien and Michael Thomas completed a foursome that was tough to contain all afternoon.

The signal-caller for the 1925 All-Stars was Jerry Neuheisel most of the day and his quick release, strong arm and poise in the pocket helped the California team dominate all day. In the championship game, the South Florida Express got a glimpse of the future when 2013 quarterback Troy Williams took the snaps and played a flawless game.

Despite all of its talent though, De'Anthony Thomas remains the headliner for the 1925 All-Stars. The five-star lined up at cornerback throughout the day and had some spot duty at running back as well. Every time he touches the football he is a hesitation away from a score. Defensively, Thomas is asserting himself as one of the nation's top defensive backs despite only playing the position for a matter of months. In this event, Thomas looked every bit the five-star he has been hailed to be.

Pike and company

Zeke Pike. Write the name down.

Playing in the tournament out of Edgewood (Ky.) Dixie Heights, Pike was surrounded by the least heralded supporting cast in the tournament. That didn't stop his team from putting a buzzsaw to the competition, going undefeated up until a close loss to the loaded California squad.

958571.jpg

Zeke Pike looked like a big-time QB prospect at the event.
As a quarterback, Pike checks off all of the boxes with a big arm, a great internal clock, touch and accuracy, and a confident demeanor. Pike was playing loose and having fun all weekend but also had a competitive drive and fought for every win.

Already Pike holds verbal offers from Eastern Illinois, Kentucky, Purdue, Iowa, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Boston College, Cincinnati, Toledo and Buffalo. His performance over the weekend places him in the early conversation as one of the truly elite quarterbacks in his class.

Though Pike's play was impressive, he didn't do it alone. He was fortunate to have one of the biggest and most reliable safety valves in the tournament in Chris Barnett. Barnett's mixture of size and hands allowed him to just box out defenders and easily move the chains throughout the weekend.

There were also a few under-the-radar players that made things easy on Pike. Jeff Harmon out of Indianapolis (Ind.) Pike had two very good days of work while the surprise of the tournament was Goose Cohorn, Pike's teammate out of Dixie Heights. Cohorn doesn't have great size or speed but he was getting behind defenders all day, and making spectacular catches against some of the most athletic defensive backs in the nation.

Top Guns

The last member of Sunday's final four was the southeast Top Guns squad composed of Florida and Louisiana prospects. The team showed tremendous athleticism all weekend and was led by Odell Beckham Jr., Cortez Davis and Jarvis Landry.

Beckham had a performance that has become standard for him, playing on both sides of the ball, he showed soft hands and an effortless, fluid athleticism that is just fun to watch. Due to his size, Beckham looks to have the most upside as a ball-hawking safety or even a big, physical corner but as smooth as he is athletically, playing both sides of the ball is not out of the question.

Though it isn't obvious, Beckham's future position is much more clear than that of Cortez Davis. Listed at 6 feet 3, Davis looks more like 6-4 or 6-5 due to his length. He played safety, linebacker, cornerback and receiver over the weekend and excelled everywhere. Whether it was a jump ball in the end zone, a pass breakup defending a tight end or the rare sight of seeing a 6-foot-4 cornerback turn his hips, Davis impresses. 'Where does he play?' is the only question to ask of the Florida State commit because though he has the ability to play a number of positions, he is not a prototype for any.

958567.jpg

Jarvis Landry made big plays on both sides of the ball.
As the other big-name prospect on the Top Gun squad, Landry did it all. When he wasn't making pure catches on offense and spectacular runs after the catch, Landry was active as a defensive back, tallying a number of breakups and interceptions on the weekend. The bottom line with Landry is that he is a competitor and just makes plays in any way possible.

Sleepers no more

Ameer Abdullah emerged this spring as an explosive back with the ball in his hands. Now that he has garnered a few major offers he is no longer an unknown but this weekend he showed that he can be more than just a running back. Abdullah showed hips and instincts at cornerback and could become a very good defensive back if given the opportunity.

Louchiez Purifoy emerged this spring similarly as an athlete with the ability to perfect the cornerback position and his play in Tuscaloosa showed him to be well on his way. Purifoy has legit sub-4.4 speed and showed it off on offense and defense. He also has good size and based on his play Saturday and Sunday looks to be one of the truly elite defensive backs in the state of Florida. Already with a Florida offer, Purifoy should expect several more offers coming in the near future.

At quarterback, it is hard to be considered a sleeper as an early commit to the Pac-10 but Arizona State commit Michael Bercovici may have outplayed his ranking in this tournament. The 6-foot-2 signal-caller has a smooth delivery and pin-point accuracy and helped guide a team thrown together at the last minute into the quarterfinals.

Class of 2012 prospect Kelton Brackett did a lot to help his stock during the tournament showing good ball skills and instincts from his safety position. The Prichard (Ala.) Blount star will be a definite name to watch in what is shaping up to be a loaded 2012 class in the state of Alabama.

With multiple highly regarded tight ends competing during the weekend, Clinton, Mich., prospect Nate Dreslinski competed as though he should be added to that list. Dreslinski doesn't have unique height but at 6-3 he is big enough. He used his body very well, showed great hands and had the strength to hold off defenders for catches in traffic.

Recruiting notes

Immediately following the championship game, Gerrod Holliman and Andrew Johnson made known their intentions to commit to Ole Miss. The commitments gave Ole Miss its third and fourth four-stars thus far in the 2011 class.

Chris Barnett formed a bond with several of the south Florida prospects and he may be taking a much closer look at the Hurricanes consequently. Previously with Oklahoma and Arkansas alone at the top of his list, Barnett is planning on taking an official visit to Miami and has the Hurricanes inching closer to his top three.

Even after picking up three commitments on July 4, Ole Miss may not yet be done for recruiting in July. Gadsden City (Ala.) High School receiver T.J. Worthy has plans to attend the Ole Miss camp on July 17 and could be close to a commitment. Due to the relationship that he has built with several other highly-touted Mississippi prospects, Worthy may not be alone if he does pull the trigger.

"I like the (Oregon) coaching staff, it seems like a big family up there and it's a great environment," Atkinson said. "At SC, it's great history and the possibilities to play at the next level are big, too."

them boys bout it!
smh.gif
laugh.gif

it was D-mo, Matt Milton, Darren Myles (again) Montori Hughes and Da'rick rogers. all are in custody.

Bar room brawls ending up in arrests...
smh.gif
tennessee football aint what it used to be or this gets swept under the rug. #realtalk

smh.gif
laugh.gif
At Da'rick and them other boys.

indifferent.gif
at Knoxville bars charging cover.  Athens really is the best college town if we the only town that doesn't charge cover for the bars.

da'rick is charged with disorderly conduct. nothing to worry about.

Darren Myles is charged with assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Myles may be in trouble and out the program cus he was arrested for disorderly conduct the night of the spring game.

he better claim to be an alcoholic to save his @@#.

reports are they cracked dude's skull.
smh.gif
jumpin in the middle of a brawl. u better fire warning shots in the air or somethin

Back
Top Bottom