Lock

Okay, if you want to play that game, Jon Lester was rushed back from LEUKEMIA.

The talent difference between the two is not that great.

I'd love for somebody who isn't a Yankees fan to chime in on this; you guys are like a swarm of GNATS.
The way you rate PROSPECTS is with minor league stats and stuff. Lesters 11-2 record means nothing to me and sox fans who rate their prospects honestly.
Yeah, it only means he's winning games in the Major Leagues;
91a356f89391c5d34150465adaef455a7b855a3.gif
, what does that matter?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'd love for somebody who isn't a Yankees fan to chime in on this; you guys are like a swarm of GNATS.
The way you rate PROSPECTS is with minor league stats and stuff. Lesters 11-2 record means nothing to me and sox fans who rate their prospects honestly.
, what does that matter?

Major league baseball GM's and scouts would like to disagree with you.
Early success in the majors can also mean luck. Not many can go 11-2 with a 4.68 ERA.

Only about two teams can make this possible because of their offense and they're located in Boston and NYC.

No he wasnt rushed back form Lukemia. He was diagnosed in August came back around a year later. I dont think the Red Sox or Lester and his family would rush him back from cancer that rediculous. If you want an opinion of non Yankee fans jsut look up some scouting reports from proffsional scouts and theyll tell you whose better. Kennedy is a better comparison to Lester and Hughes to Buccholz. Win and loss stats for pitchers are the second most overated stats in baseball. That arguement is made every time someone says Wang had 19 wins and everyone always says "TEH YANKEES HAVE TEH BEST OFFENSE THATS WHY!!!". You can win a game giving up 6 runs that doesnt mean you were good. Lester was a leauge average pitcher last year with horrible walk rates.
Good catch I didnt realize he wrote Lester was 'rushed' back from cancer
smh.gif

, what does that matter?

No he wasnt rushed back form Lukemia. He was diagnosed in August came back around a year later. I dont think the Red Sox or Lester and his family would rushhim back from cancer that rediculous. If you want an opinion of non Yankee fans jsut look up some scouting reports from proffsional scouts and theyll tell youwhose better. Kennedy is a better comparison to Lester and Hughes to Buccholz. Win and loss stats for pitchers are the second most overated stats in baseball.That arguement is made every time someone says Wang had 19 wins and everyone always says "TEH YANKEES HAVE TEH BEST OFFENSE THATS WHY!!!". You canwin a game giving up 6 runs that doesnt mean you were good. Lester was a leauge average pitcher last year with horrible walk rates.

EDIT: That gnat mention was a low blow

, what does that matter?

ouch that one still stings (Can gnats sting?)

Im not a big fan of the new Steinbrenner and the way hes acting but the Yankees CANNOT let the sox get Santana. A lineup with Beckett and Santana is justridiculous and the yanks should not let that happen even if it means giving up Kennedy. I might be biased but I really do think Hughes and Melky plus a midlevel minor leaguer is better than what the bosox are offering. I really think Jacoby is overrated right now because of how he played in October. Rob Neyeragrees

:Mark (Minnesota): Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see the fuss over Ellsbury. He's 24 years old and this year in the minors in463 ABs he had only 2 HRs, 24 2Bs and 7 3Bs. I see him as a future leadoff hitter with good speed and little power, perhaps like a Kenny Lofton. How is thatthe centerpiece of a Santana deal? We should get more for Johan - like a potential #1 starter!

sn2.gif
Rob Neyer: You're not stupid, Mark. I might havebeen over-exuberant a few moments ago, as I also downplayed Ellsbury's potential a few months ago. He's benefiting from a halo effect, due to hisperformance in October. But he does not project as a big star.

Heres all the insider updates from today:

[h3]Red Sox in hot pursuit of Santana[/h3]
Johan Santana | Twins | Interested: Mariners? Yankees? Mets? Angels? Red Sox?
As Monday night turned into Tuesday morning at the winter meetings, suddenly it was the Red Sox who loomed as the favorites to pull off a deal for the best pitcher in baseball, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. According to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, the Twins early Tuesday morning asked the Red Sox for permission to review the medical records of pitcher Jon Lester. If the Twins were satisfied with Lester's medicals, it's believed they would accept a swap of him, Coco Crisp, shortstop prospect Jed Lowrie and either highly regarded pitching prospect Justin Masterson or another player. Or if the Twins reversed field and decided they wanted center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury instead, it's believed that would be a 3-for-1 trade -- with only Ellsbury, Masterson and Lowrie going to Minnesota. However, the Red Sox apparently remained adamant that while either Ellsbury or Lester was available, they would trade one or the other -- but not both -- in any trade.

[h3]Yanks going after Haren next?[/h3]
Dan Haren | Athletics | Interested: Red Sox? Yankees?
Unable to broker a deal with Minnesota for Johan Santana, the Yankees now plan to focus on acquiring Dan Haren from the Oakland, the New York Daily News reports. A's GM Billy Beane is believed to be asking for a package of four players in exchange for the 27-year-old right-hander. Haren, who is owed $16.25 million over the next three seasons, is paying close attention to the rumors. "The first thing is, I don't want to be traded," Haren told The San Francisco Chronicle. "My wife [Jessica] and I have a baby coming in a couple of weeks, and we have a home in the East Bay. But, obviously, we'll deal with it if it happens. And everyone that's been mentioned is a good team, which is nice."

mlb_a_kuroda_65.jpg

[h3]Kuroda to Mariners?[/h3]
Hiroki Kuroda | Interested: Mets? Diamondbacks, Mariners? Phillies? Dodgers? Royals?
A half-dozen teams are waiting for Japanese pitcher Hiroki Kuroda to decide which team he'll play for, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. The Mariners are believed to be the front-runners for Kuroda, with the Diamondbacks, Mets, Phillies, Dodgers and Cubs all interested as well. There are indications the Mariners made Kuroda an offer in the neighborhood of four years, $45 million. No other team is known to have offered him more than a three-year deal.

[h3]Red Sox interested in Lamb[/h3]
Mike Lamb | Astros | Interested: Red Sox?
The Red Sox, looking for a left-handed hitting corner infielder who can back up first baseman Kevin Youkilis and third baseman Mike Lowell, have expressed serious interest in free agent Mike Lamb, reports ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
In 124 games for the Astros last season, Lamb hit .289, with 11 homers and 40 RBI, and an on-base percentage of .366.

Lamb, 32, is drawing interest from other teams, and may have to make a choice between having a chance to play regularly for another team, or be a part-time player with Boston.

[h3]O's decision: Extend or trade Bedard?[/h3]
Erik Bedard | Orioles | Interested: Blue Jays? Yankees? Mets? Mariners? Angels? Dodgers?
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail declined Monday to specify how many teams have expressed interest in Erik Bedard, but one team source said calls about the 28-year-old left-hander were coming in "left and right," The Baltimore Sun reports. MacPhail has informed suitors that the Orioles are still exploring extending Bedard's contract and might not trade him.
According to the newspaper, the Dodgers, Mariners and Mets have been the most aggressive in the pursuit of Bedard thus far.
MacPhail and Mets GM Omar Minaya reportedly talked by phone Monday and could meet Tuesday. The Mets have already offered outfielder Carlos Gomez, reliever Aaron Heilman and pitching prospect Phil Humber but were rejected. The Blue Jays are another team making a push for Bedard, The Washington Post reports.

[h3]Rolen to Brewers unlikely[/h3]
Scott Rolen | Cardinals | Interested: Giants? Dodgers? Brewers?
Talks between the Cardinals and Brewers about third baseman Scott Rolen have cooled because the Cardinals are hesitant to trade Rolen within the division, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. The clubs were talking about a deal that would have sent Rolen to Milwaukee for pitcher Chris Capuano and a top prospect. The Brewers also would have paid all of the $33 million in salary Rolen is owed over the next three years, while the Cardinals would have assumed the $14 million in deferred salary and what remained of Rolen's $5 million signing bonus. That trade is unlikely to get finalized, but the Cardinals are talking with the Giants and Dodgers about Rolen. And it's possible, though not probable, they could complete a deal with one of those teams before the meetings end Thursday.

[h3]Johan Santana Rumors: Tuesday[/h3]
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 4:28pm: Per Will Carroll at Baseball Prospectus: Santana to Boston is "all but done" with Lester, Masterson, and Kalish in the package.

UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 4:25pm: Stark says the Angels and Twins continue to talk Santana, with many of the youngsters earmarked for Cabrera being mentioned. Seems the Halos have shifted gears from Cabrera to Johan even though they have no need for starters.

talk about an arms race. (i thought it was clever
laugh.gif
)
EDIT
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 5:02pm: All the Santana-Angels stuff is bogus, according to GM Tony Reagins.

frown.gif

Cabrera and Willis are going to Detroit. Deal should be done by tonight

Damn so Minnesota is interested in Jered Weaver and Brandon Wood and maybe Howie Kendrick. I hope we pick up a bat cuz thats what we need instead of morepitching.

The Angels balked and the Dodgers bailed. I am surprised that someone swooped in so fast.

Anyone have any clue who the 6 players that the Marlins are getting?
Previous page.

Outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-hander Andrew Miller likely are among the Marlins' targets. The Tigers already feature two veteran left-handed starters, Kenny Rogers and Nate Robertson, possibly making Miller available in a deal for Willis.

Which is not saying much.

[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/latest-miguel-c.html[/h3]
[h3]Latest Miguel Cabrera Trade Rumors[/h3]
You can check out the old thread here, based on Rosenthal's Cabrera/Willis to Detroit rumor. ESPN's Peter Gammons has an update on the Cabrera situation involving the Angels.

Gammons says the Marlins and Angels are "serious about moving Cabrera to the Angels." The current rumor: Howie Kendrick, Nick Adenhart, Jeff Mathis, and one other prospect.

laugh.gif
this is getting to be too much
eek.gif

[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/marlinstigers-c.html[/h3]
[h3]Marlins/Tigers Cabrera/Willis Blockbuster[/h3]
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 2:41pm: Joe Capozzi agrees - separate deals if anything.

UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 1:29pm: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro has a source indicating that the Tigers are interested in Willis or Cabrera and not necessarily both.

EDIT-
[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/tigers-acquire.html[/h3]
[h3]Tigers Acquire Cabrera, Willis For Six Players[/h3]
ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that the Tigers have acquired Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, and three minor leaguers.

This is what the hot stove league is all about, unexpected massive eight-player blockbusters. All the talk was that the Tigers would have a quiet Winter Meetings. Instead they traded for one of the best hitters in the game, adding an immediate 5-7 wins in the process. Swapping out Willis for Miller will probably be a push in 2008 before things swing toward the Fish.

smh.gif
eek.gif

Wait%$%+ is going on? Cabrera AND Willis to the Tigers? or Miggy to the Tigers? holy $%!%

Lester and garbage for Santana? I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins did the deal contingent on Lester's lymphoma returning.

Granderson
Polanco
Ordonez
Cabrera
Sheff
Guillen
IRod
Inge
Renteria

No thats not the line up for the AL all star team, thats the tigers projected line up

:EEK

Back
Top Bottom