Man converts NYC dumpster into a home.... #anythingtohangoutinbrookllyn

premium3g

Banned
The Big Apple is known for its small living spaces, but one man just took "small" to a whole new level.

California designer Gregory Kloehn found himself needing a place to stay during his frequent visits to New York — and let's face it, hotels are pricey. So, he bought a dumpster. Yes, the kind you see on construction sites.

Kloehn got to work on the $2,000 metal box and installed a kitchen, bathroom, bed and sun deck. Kloehn strategically added wheels to the bottom of his new home to give it mobility. You know, it ups the property value. The box is located in a nice area of Brooklyn called Red Hook.

The sophistication doesn't end there. Kloehn hooked up a six-gallon water tank for drinking; the tank also funnels water to the toilet and an outdoor shower. There's no need for a port-a-potty. Electricity is in full effect, powering a microwave and small stove.

The interior is padded for insulation, and the color scheme is red and black. There are a few seats, an outdoor grill and a minibar attached to the door in case he decides to have company over to his dumpster.

"I think (passersby) are just surprised that someone would take something like this and spend enough time to make it into a home," Kloehn told HGTV's "You Live in What?"

In all reality, Kloehn's dumpster is not much smaller than my Brooklyn apartment. But I insist it's cozy, not small.

The Big Apple is known for its small living spaces, but one man just took "small" to a whole new level.

California designer Gregory Kloehn found himself needing a place to stay during his frequent visits to New York — and let's face it, hotels are pricey. So, he bought a dumpster. Yes, the kind you see on construction sites.

Kloehn got to work on the $2,000 metal box and installed a kitchen, bathroom, bed and sun deck. Kloehn strategically added wheels to the bottom of his new home to give it mobility. You know, it ups the property value. The box is located in a nice area of Brooklyn called Red Hook.

The sophistication doesn't end there. Kloehn hooked up a six-gallon water tank for drinking; the tank also funnels water to the toilet and an outdoor shower. There's no need for a port-a-potty. Electricity is in full effect, powering a microwave and small stove.

The interior is padded for insulation, and the color scheme is red and black. There are a few seats, an outdoor grill and a minibar attached to the door in case he decides to have company over to his dumpster.

"I think (passersby) are just surprised that someone would take something like this and spend enough time to make it into a home," Kloehn told HGTV's "You Live in What?"

In all reality, Kloehn's dumpster is not much smaller than my Brooklyn apartment. But I insist it's cozy, not small.

lawdy

Cool.

If i struck it obnoxiously rich id cop da 94 street

abandoned train station on da 1 line & convert into

A condo.

:lol: looks like a play house

article-2387619-1B35A046000005DC-992_634x486.jpg

article-2387619-1B35A69B000005DC-18_634x416.jpg

Red Hook is considered a nice neighborhood now? That Ikea and the ensuing gentrification was real. His dumpster looks like one of those plastic houses you put in the backyard. Big *** kid :lol:

Before we get to my house, don't be alarmed it's a dumpster...

Nah girl, you ever heard that saying one man's trash is another man's treasure? My house is made of treasure.

Last edited:
...and what if someone tries to put garbage in there?

...also whats to stop someone from robbing or running up on the place?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-getaway-complete-toilet-stove-sun-deck.html

theres pics
Well I'd assume he'd have locks on it so if someone wanted to break in they'd really have to ruin the exterior and I kinda doubt there's anything inside worth stealing, so what's left is the dumpster pad but I don't see anything stopping someone from wheeling that thing in to a busy intersection.
Red Hook is considered a nice neighborhood now? That Ikea and the ensuing gentrification was real. His dumpster looks like one of those plastic houses you put in the backyard. Big *** kid :lol:
There's always been at least one nice area in Red Hook except for in the 70s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom