Mike D'Antoni fired

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...um/04/30/suns.dantonio/index.html?eref=sircrc
SAN ANTONIO -- Mike D'Antoni, the NBA's Coach of the Year for the 2004-05 season and the man credited with re-invigorating fast-break basketball in a league gone stale, will not be back to coach the Phoenix Suns for the 2008-09 season, SI.com has learned.

D'Antoni deferred questions about his job status after the Suns were eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in Game 5 of their Western Conference first-round playoff series on Wednesday night at the AT&T Center in Alamo City. "I'm just really proud of my guys," D'Antoni said after the Spurs' 92-87 win that marked the third time in four years that San Antonio has ended the Suns' season. He did not address his own situation. But sources within the organization confirm that D'Antoni feels he does not have the backing of upper management--specifically owner Robert Sarver and general manager Steve Kerr -- and considers the situation irredeemable.

It's about time
smh.gif

eek.gif
Damn. Maybe a new coach is what they need to learn how to defend on a regular basis.

wow that was fast. its going to be interesting to see where this team goes now. im sure the next coach isnt going to go with the run and gun style so we willif they can adjust

Originally Posted by acidicality

yea, i think in the dallas offseason thread i read that avery got fired too.

It's not official yet, but the rumors sure are pretty heavy.

It seems like a bad year to have to fire a coach though...are there any really attractive coaches out there for these teams?

I could see JVG making a comeback after taking this last year off...He could be what the Suns need, in terms of learning some defense. Not saying that'swhere I think he will/should go, but it would be interesting to see what would happen to the Suns while going from a run and gun style team to a defensiveminded team
laugh.gif

i'm sure he's done, but this story is still looking premature to me

how are you gonna fire him before he even gets to his hotel room in Dallas? OD if true
smh.gif

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Has anyone been fired this quick after a game before?

I dunno about basketball, but after the Texas A&M vs. Texas football game this last season, I was standing down on the field about 15-20 minutes afterthe game, and Fran came on the big screen announcing his resignation/stepping down as head coach. Needless to say, I was
roll.gif
pimp.gif
roll.gif
on the field.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Has anyone been fired this quick after a game before?
roll.gif
I don't believe this at all.
Unless Kerr was waiting at his office after the game or something, it finished barely 2 hours ago lol

This article seems to be jumping the gun.

It's titles state that his tenure is over, loss cost him his job, etc etc...

Yet there's no concrete evidence within it that D'Antoni has already been shown the door.

A real shame if he is fired, though. As much as I question a little bit of his play-calling, he still made it fun as hell to watch this team.

Back
Top Bottom