Most Dominent Athlete in Sports right now?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

roll.gif
@ me being anywhere near a Ronaldo stan. I don't like him at all. I just don't let my opinions of his demeanor affect my opinions of him as a player. Which is what others on this forum do. And Ronaldo/soccer is far from the only player/sport they do that to.

I was hyping Messi on this forum way before you. I still remember people slaughtering me here for when I said that Messi was better than Ronaldinho ever was. And I continued to do so until the 2010 World Cup.

Messi looked dominant under Maradona as well at times, but he looked far from dominant in the World Cup. It is very close between him and Ronaldo, and I give the edge to Ronaldo, but I certainly don't think it's outrageous if someone gives the edge to Messi. But you can not call him the most dominant athlete in the world as long as there is such a vast difference between him on Barca and him on Argentina.
I just don't think the comparison between the two has merit. Messi the far superior player, imo. He plays much deeper than Ronaldo does, is constantly in the midfield, and is almost always involved in the buildup if he isn't scoring. Football is the ultimate team game, and Messi is clearly the better teammate, and that means something when rating players. Their is a huge gap between the two players' ability to pass and create. That, and the fact that he scores goals just as well, if not better than Christiano (CR took 100 more shots to get the same #s), while winning trophy after trophy illustrates why Messi has a case to be the most dominant athlete. When you have long-time football pundits and former players comparing him to Pele, Maradona, et al that should tell you something.

Again, as for the Albiceleste, we'll have to wait till later this summer.

as a fan of the Portuguese NT, I have to say that Ronaldo is practically useless on the NT...against Norway he performed well without scoring, but otherwise he goes MIA far too often, especially in games that matter. If you're gonna talk about WC performances, Ronaldo was the WORST player in the tournament based on how he normally performs. On the Argentina NT Messi played more like a midfielder rather than a striker, so he was still impacting the game even though he was playing out of position. But Ronaldo...one of the most athletic and skilled players in the world scoring 1 fluke goal against North Korea
indifferent.gif
Even as a hater I was practically begging him to score but all he did was shoot from 40+ yards out on every attempt
sick.gif
  however I do agree that Xavi and Iniesta are equally important to Barca's success as Messi. Xavi should have received the player of the year award, dude was the best midfielder in the entire WC
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Jay02

Messi is only 19 years old????? whatttttt

I think Brady is awesome, but right now wouldnt it be Rodgers seeing that he's the SB champ. He gave us a glimpse last year of his playoff play against Arizona, then went forward with it the next year. Maybe biased, but i still think its realistic. Either way I wanna see a Pats Packers SB match up this year.
23 and already considered an all-time great,119 goals in 6 seasons 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

To me,to be a "dominant" athlete,it means that you've been at the top of your craft consistently year after year and Brady and Manning have been doing it for almost a decade. I understand that Rogers only got his chance a couple years ago and he's been incredible since but to me,I have to see more than 3 great seasons for him to be considered dominant and I'm sure he will become one of if not the best QB in the league sometime soon.

Pats-Packers would be 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JD214

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

NotoriousLAR wrote:

Just throwin this out there...

Mike Phelps...
good call.
pimp.gif

michaelphelpssportsillustra.jpg

3 years ago, Yes

Right now haven't heard much of dude so no.
Have you heard much of swimming in general? Just because you haven't heard much of swimming at all in the media doesn't mean he's not dominating it. 
I admit I don't follow swimming either, but judging on his wikipedia, he's been doing quite fine for himself since the Olympics... winning 5 golds, 1 silver in the 2009 World Championships and 5 golds (out of 5 events) in the 2010 Pan Pacific Championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Phelps

Ronaldo is more dominant than Messi. He scored the same amount of goals (at least) as Messi in a game less last season. The biggest difference though was that he did it on a team that wasn't as good as Messi's, with significantly more individual brilliance than Messi, who got major help from being on Barca. Until he proves otherwise, that is with Argentina where he is light years away from the player he looks to be with Barcelona, Messi still looks to be a product of Xavi and Iniesta.
Xtapolapacetl,picture yourself as the owner of a prominent team and you were given the choice between these two players, who would you choose to be on your team? Personally, I would take Messi over Ronaldo any day of the week. I agree that Ronaldo embodies the ideal image of a soccer player; height, speed, strength, athleticism, are all words that come to mind when we think of Ronaldo. Messi has the body of a teenager and his height leaves much to be desired. 
I believe that if we had no idea on who these two players were, Ronaldo would usually get picked first before Messi on any pick up match. He looks the most dominant but in reality Messi has dominated not only his own league but also some of the best teams from the entire world. One decisive factor for me is Messi's ability to show up on big games. Messi has come through on so many different decisive matches while Ronaldo usually disappears. How can you put Ronaldo over Messi in regards of dominance when Ronaldo has failed to dominate when it matters the most? I also wanted to point out that you make it seem like Ronaldo is in a mediocre team, when in reality he is playing for a world class team - a team that had the luxury to bring guys like Kaka, Iguahin, Benzema and others off the bench. Finally, the national team argument...Messi cannot carry Argentina to a world cup and does not dominate with the national team, etc, etc. Yet people forget that he won the Fifa U-20, Olympic Games, and took Argentina to second place in 2007's Copa America. I have yet to see Ronaldo dominate with Portugal.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Originally Posted by Jay02

Messi is only 19 years old????? whatttttt

I think Brady is awesome, but right now wouldnt it be Rodgers seeing that he's the SB champ. He gave us a glimpse last year of his playoff play against Arizona, then went forward with it the next year. Maybe biased, but i still think its realistic. Either way I wanna see a Pats Packers SB match up this year.
23 and already considered an all-time great,119 goals in 6 seasons 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

To me,to be a "dominant" athlete,it means that you've been at the top of your craft consistently year after year and Brady and Manning have been doing it for almost a decade. I understand that Rogers only got his chance a couple years ago and he's been incredible since but to me,I have to see more than 3 great seasons for him to be considered dominant and I'm sure he will become one of if not the best QB in the league sometime soon.

Pats-Packers would be 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

good call.
pimp.gif

michaelphelpssportsillustra.jpg

3 years ago, Yes

Have you heard much of swimming in general? Just because you haven't heard much of swimming at all in the media doesn't mean he's not dominating it. 
I admit I don't follow swimming either, but judging on his wikipedia, he's been doing quite fine for himself since the Olympics... winning 5 golds, 1 silver in the 2009 World Championships and 5 golds (out of 5 events) in the 2010 Pan Pacific Championships.

Thanks
pimp.gif

I really don't follow swimming in general, My bad.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Would anyone put Rory Mcilroy in the list for most dominant now? I've been watching this kid and he's a hell of a player.
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

3 years ago, Yes

Thanks
pimp.gif

I really don't follow swimming in general, My bad.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Would anyone put Rory Mcilroy in the list for most dominant now? I've been watching this kid and he's a hell of a player.
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
Was just about to come in here and comment this.  Right NOW as in the last 2 days, he has clearly been the most dominant.  Will be interesting to see how he holds up over the weekend though, could see a Tiger like win(01' US Open) or he could melt down like he did at Augusta.

I can't agree with Jimmie Jonhnson since NASCAR isn't a sport.

Manny Pacquiao
pimp.gif

Sergio Martinez
pimp.gif

Saul Alvarez
pimp.gif

Rafael Nadal
pimp.gif

Lionel Messi
pimp.gif

Kobe should be on the list but wasn't as dominant this year.
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ the person that posted LeBron.

Right now, Wade > LeBron

Wade > LeBron > Kobe

Andre Ward?

Manny Pacquiao?

Sergio Martinez?

Saul Alvarez? (
laugh.gif
)

Floyd Mayweather?

My god those are some bad answers.

laugh.gif

klitschko.jpg

Originally Posted by thacapt

Andre Ward?

Manny Pacquiao?

Sergio Martinez?

Saul Alvarez? (
laugh.gif
)

Floyd Mayweather?

laugh.gif

klitschko.jpg

Forgot about this guy, But IMO there should be a few in boxing because of the different weight classes.
grin.gif

Andre Ward?

Manny Pacquiao?

Sergio Martinez?

Saul Alvarez? (
laugh.gif
)

Floyd Mayweather?

laugh.gif

klitschko.jpg

Forgot about this guy, But IMO there should be a few in boxing because of the different weight classes.
grin.gif
Nah brah.

The Klitschko bros are the definition of domination in a weight class.

Andre Ward?

Manny Pacquiao?

Sergio Martinez?

Saul Alvarez? (
laugh.gif
)

Floyd Mayweather?

laugh.gif

klitschko.jpg

grin.gif
Nah brah.

The Klitschko bros are the definition of domination in a weight class.

Plus both brothers got ph.d in sports science, some consider overrated, they must be doin something right

Andre Ward?

Manny Pacquiao?

Sergio Martinez?

Saul Alvarez? (
laugh.gif
)

Floyd Mayweather?

laugh.gif

klitschko.jpg
QFT

Them bros got the heavyweight division on lock down.

What Jimmie Johnson is doing is just beastly.  He's already in the discussion as GOAT and I think there are compelling arguments that he is the GOAT.

Back
Top Bottom