NaS has been SOOOOO desperate for APPROVAL since Ether....

Nas is at a point where he might just become forgotten as a rapper, so he has to make a HUGE move... like naming an album HHID or N*****. Afterall, it happen in nearly every other artform. It's the art that's eternal and the artists fades into memory. Is it THAT hard to believe that Nas is trying to make a splash in the water for attention? I mean diiiizamn.... the album is called N*****!!
laugh.gif

for the comment I quoted (not going to open up the can of worms w/ the Jay quote), again, I dont think youre looking from a clear perspective. Nas is one ofthe rare rappers who has had this kinda longevity and can still sell records. I mean, he's never dropped one album that has done Nelly/Em/50 numbers, buthe has like 9-10 LPs and all of them have plat plaques (not sure, but I think Jay is the only other rapper who can say that), so its not like he's at apoint where he's desperate to do anything to sell records...but I mean, of course he's trying to 'make a splash' with this album, he hassomething to say. Also, its not like this is ''out the blue" so-to-speak, its not like he dont have his reasons or motivation behind the title,which you may be ignoring...

And you still are ignoring, as stated, that post Stillmatic he start dropping the music he wanted to drop, which is thought to be 'purest' music sincethe beginning of his career.

The only difference is how deep in Nas's corner you are.
or just how off one thinks you are, so they are just arguing until you see or until they realize how stubburn somebody's opinion is?
ohwell.gif
(I too, am bored...)

Originally Posted by xBuddha Blessx

Jay-Z for one. He has the rap world in his palms. He has the money, power, and clout to market whatever album he drops as if it were the only album dropping that year.
I knew you woulda said that and I dont even want to get into his rise to grace but he's on his way to being forgotten to my ears so is there any other rappers you can name in that group please dont say Diddy or Dr. Dre next. I mean if you really believe NaS is an average album away from retirement who aint? What you think would happen if Ol Man Jigga's next album was on the level of KC or worse? For all the rappers Im checkin for like Ghost, NaS n EVEN LL you are only as hot/relevant as your last album but that changes once I hear you got a new album out. This N---er album can come out n be whacker than whack but by the 4th qauarter of '08 if NaS says he got a N---er part 2 comin out I AM checkin for it again. Step look at the hip hop world today with whats sellin n whos not. What type of ppl do you think are going to be forgetting NaS so quickly? The mainstream fans who probably only know him for Stillmatic n HHID or the dudes who know the words to NaS is Like?

I mean if we go back to ya other thread with if ya on this list you need to stop making albums. You had NaS on ya list and I had Jigga on mine n I'd agree with you with NaS should maybe stop putting out albums and then everybody else saying with theses lists there's nobody left in the game. You think those dudes is gonna be forgettin those rappers so quickly and thats it, they'd be beggin for some of those rappers to drop another album again. I'd really say it depends on who you talkin about when you say they are just waiting to be forgottten and with NaS I dont think he thinks that and thats why I dont believe he's looking for approval.

smokin.gif

First bold: Your ears don't exactly matter in the BIG PICTURE, no offense. Jay is faaaar from done at this point unless he chooses to quit. He's not onthe verge of being pushed out on account of his age....they tried that already. And he has too much money to be pushed out the way 50 did Ja. He's notgoing anywhere, he can determine his own destiny as far as rap goes. And Dre and Diddy do count. Sure, they aren't rappers per say, but their careers arestraaight from here on and they've been in the game 10+ and have released rap albums.

2nd: I loved KC and it sold well, so I'd assume if he dropped another KC, it would mean more 800K first week sales. Maybe not 800K, but it would bea commercial success. And like I said, I loved that album, so whatever point you're going to attempt to make about "quality=/= sales" is gonnafall on deaf ears. The quality was A-ok with me.

3rd: I feel you, but that just shows me that the main reason you can't hear what I'm saying is because you are a big Nas fan, and ain't nothingreally wrong with that. But like I said, it's harder to see inconsistencies and fault or whatever when it feels like you're "rooting against yourhome team".

4th: Uhhh...yeah...the first group. The group that says "Mom, I want the Cd with the song on BET's top 10 for Christmas!" and in thisbuisness, it's a hurter if kids ain't saying that about your 4th quarter release (I'm just speaking hypothetically). And that's thebasis for my argument. I know us real heads will still @#++ with Nas, no question. But most of ya'll already bought the one album ya'll wanted from Nas15 years ago. Ya'll keeeeeeep saying illmatic this and that like it's no need to buy any other Nas album and I know he hears you. He's been hearingyou. He hears when cats say "Yeah it was good....but he'll never top illmatic". He needs new money. This IS a job. I don't know what elsehe's got going for him, but I don't think he has all the outlets to profit that other guys like 50 and Jay have. Those guys have franchised theirnames. Shady too. They can branch out into more than music and make other ventures. Even Jeezy has 8782 or whatever. What paper is Nas making besides rap,because I have no clue. As far as I kno, he needs rap money more than some people in his same situation.

Originally Posted by EastCoastPapi

^I mean i never hear of anybody on the street mentioning nas anymore. I go to the club 2-3 times a week i never hear nas records. Jay-z Concert son didn't remember lines. HHID and Streets D certified BASURA... I mean yeah in the 90's son was mad ill but since Nastradamus it's been down hill. The only thing that saved Nas's career was the Jay-Z battle. He wouldn't have sold without Ether
And you arent the only one. I hear about as much about Nas as I hear about my mans Joe Budden
smh.gif
. A lot of East Coast heads forget that the rest of theworld doesn't revolve around their interests...

^KC 671,000 first week. album was a 7-10

^paper nas is making with what? 310 motoring kicks? lol....i see alot of game's kicks but not 1 of nas's on somebodys feet yet. Bravehearts? Quan? Hestill owe columbia money thats why they put out Greatest Hits. He didn't really tour hard on HHID alot of shows we're canceled. Maybe the reality showbut that*%%$ wasn't flames at all.

Jeezy went plat and 3 plat on first, jeezy has millions of mixtape/collabo/tour/show money something nas aint been doin much.

fact is Nas is just lazy....He got skills but it aint really in him look at his interviews son is asleep. He got fresh for 3 hours before he got on tv and hestill asleep.

Plain and simple, Nas does NOT need approval in the rap game. When you're name is Nas and you have been one of the most celebrated mc's of all time youdon't need much to make an impact anymore. Nas speaks his mind and I have respect for that.

^I mean i never hear of anybody on the street mentioning nas anymore. I go to the club 2-3 times a week i never hear nas records. Jay-z Concert son didn't remember lines. HHID and Streets D certified BASURA... I mean yeah in the 90's son was mad ill but since Nastradamus it's been down hill. The only thing that saved Nas's career was the Jay-Z battle. He wouldn't have sold without Ether

Yo...... WHAT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me what songs of NaS should be bumped in the club You Owe Me????? Name some NaS club bangers for medoggie, your whole persepective is whack. NaS not being bumped in the club or streets aint an indicator of his releavance all that issh, is just his lack ofbuzz. Imma just have to say that NaS is generally for older ppl and not for kids.
tired.gif
tired.gif

3rd: I feel you, but that just shows me that the main reason you can't hear what I'm saying is because you are a big Nas fan, and ain't nothing really wrong with that. But like I said, it's harder to see inconsistencies and fault or whatever when it feels like you're "rooting against your home team".

Quite the contrary but I wont even go into my process of listening to new hip hop albums. Im very far from a big NaS fan.
And you arent the only one. I hear about as much about Nas as I hear about my mans Joe Budden
smh.gif
. A lot of East Coast heads forget that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around their interests...

Ok with ya last response to me regarding the 3rd bold and ya agreeing with EastCoastPapi Im going back to this quote for you
Imma just have to say that NaS is generally for older ppl and not for kids.
tired.gif
tired.gif

My dude like you think NaS is really worried about that 1st group? Just like all of sudden Ol Man Jigga got on that "mature" tip on KC I'll letyou in on something you dont know NaS BEEN ON THAT MATURE TIP! NaS aint never been no club rapper dude does very good sales wise for his type of music. Whydoes NaS all of a sudden need to be accepted or approved? Why he need to be talked about his fanbase is gonna by his issh regardless and if you aint a fan youcan look at it objectively but it aint gonna change nothin.
Plain and simple, Nas does NOT need approval in the rap game. When you're name is Nas and you have been one of the most celebrated mc's of all time you don't need much to make an impact anymore. Nas speaks his mind and I have respect for that.

Preach!

Im done this is clearly an agree to disagree matter and to that Ol Man Jigga talk its clear your a big fan and its nothing wrong with that but you wont be ableto see it from another perspective

smokin.gif

^i rock with nas but his mind ain't that intelligent like people be gassin him up to be. Alot of Muslim!@@@ he talk about is false, and alot ofChristian!@@@ he talk about is false as well. Even on ether lying about Rockefeller dieing of aids and etc that didn't happen at all. Alot of nas he goesover board to make it sound hot and make it sound like he's so smart. I mean when i was in middle school i thought he was the smartest rapper ever, but asi get older and listen and actually listen line for line!@@@ dont make that much sense. Not all of it but alotttttt of it. When your talking politics andreligion you gotta be on point. Drugs and all that hood!@@@ they all stretch the truth.

^Bhudda im 22 im not a kid and those hot club songs came before 2000. Hot boy, nas is like, hate me now, if i ruled the world, etc. etc. those are all IWW,I Amdays.. Stillmatic and God Son had maybe a total of 2-4 club bangers but son thats over a half a decade ago so how is my perspective whack? Lack of buzz? no alack of beats, dedication, hard work, and sense of direction. If you don't put in work your work ain't gonna be hot Nas is proof of that. Nas is alsoproof of a legend that don't got it no more word to Krs-One and all those before 1990 rappers

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

Nas is at a point where he might just become forgotten as a rapper, so he has to make a HUGE move... like naming an album HHID or N*****. Afterall, it happen in nearly every other artform. It's the art that's eternal and the artists fades into memory. Is it THAT hard to believe that Nas is trying to make a splash in the water for attention? I mean diiiizamn.... the album is called N*****!!
laugh.gif

for the comment I quoted (not going to open up the can of worms w/ the Jay quote), again, I dont think youre looking from a clear perspective. Nas is one of the rare rappers who has had this kinda longevity and can still sell records. I mean, he's never dropped one album that has done Nelly/Em/50 numbers, but he has like 9-10 LPs and all of them have plat plaques (not sure, but I think Jay is the only other rapper who can say that), so its not like he's at a point where he's desperate to do anything to sell records...but I mean, of course he's trying to 'make a splash' with this album, he has something to say. Also, its not like this is ''out the blue" so-to-speak, its not like he dont have his reasons or motivation behind the title, which you may be ignoring...

And you still are ignoring, as stated, that post Stillmatic he start dropping the music he wanted to drop, which is thought to be 'purest' music since the beginning of his career.

The only difference is how deep in Nas's corner you are.
or just how off one thinks you are, so they are just arguing until you see or until they realize how stubburn somebody's opinion is?
ohwell.gif
(I too, am bored...)
Nas has had longevity in the sense that he never drowned in the music biz ocean. He's treaded some water, made some great albums, and almosts sunkseveral times, but he's still afloat and he has decent paper from it. You GOTTA respect that. It's a sweet rags to riches story. Dude's beenbattling with sharks and always dropped an album worth the wait. But that isn't the same as doing the breast stroke in those waves and making it look sooooeasy, and rising to 3-4 hundred million in the process. Nas has been in that water for years and now cats are comming in and making a KILLING before they evenget their hair wet. That's my perspective. I'd be PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED if I dropped the "hip-hop bible"along with several other solid albums, and I held it down for a decade.......... only to have cats triple my life's earings in 3 summers like 50 did. 50 iswaaaaay more important than Nas right now (to the avg. rap consumer) and that's almost an insult...WAIT...it is an insult! Didn't 50 diss this"N******" ? What a slap in the face!! I know Nas wants that 50 dough man...shh..we all do. I think he's decided to go all out for it at thispoint. Expect his next album to be called "I'm Gonna kill The President Tuesday"

I love how cats love to bring the streets into the discussion. Let's keep it a hundred. The streets have the worse tast in music. I know thatfor a fact, becuase$@*!$*$ only wanna hear +@#* that relates to them. It could be the worse rapper out, but cats is gonna listen because they can"relate" to that. Just look at Jeezy and all these wack!%$* rappers who talk about coke and guns. To say he wouldn't have sold without Ether isridiculous too.

Stupid? Right..
laugh.gif
......but why? Name a 13-18 year old that ain't on NT that's REALLY, REALLY checking for Nas. Dude is one step away from releasing a Koch-flop and retiring. It's true. He almost faded away with that Murder Inc deal. He's gotta do it BIG or else

I would love to tell you to stop posting, but I'm an advocate of free speech. You have said the most off the wall things in this thread. I'm talkingbroken clock on the floor...off the wall type +@#*.
laugh.gif
First, you sayIllmatic is an EP(which is just plain ignorance and lack of understanding), and now you talk about a Murder Inc deal that never occured.
laugh.gif
How many 13-18 year olds really know music? My 15 year old cousin just told me"I'm about my doe and cheese, you can call me a slice of pizza" is one of the hottest lines he ever heard.
roll.gif
If a pathetic double entredre such as that is praised, then Nas is way overthere heads anyway. But I agree with you though, because they are not checking for him.Then again, they aren't checking for anything that's good music,so what's the point? These lil dudes will check for anybody who talks about a pistol, crack, and how much money he has. A lot of hip hop fans are onedimensional.

Nas is a legend in his own league. Like I said, you don't know anything about Nas career. This is the same cat that is the 1st East Coast to debut at # 1on the charts. Before Big or Jay. The same cat that Big said was the only artist in the game that he thought could see him lyrically in 94. The same cat whoJay went up to and said "I think me and you are the only two cats in the game that really got skills, dude's like Pac and DMX only really appeal tostreet cats"....Come on son..you slipping!

Yo...... WHAT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me what songs of NaS should be bumped in the club You Owe Me????? Name some NaS club bangers for me doggie, your whole persepective is whack. NaS not being bumped in the club or streets aint an indicator of his releavance all that issh, is just his lack of buzz. Imma just have to say that NaS is generally for older ppl and not for kids.
tired.gif
tired.gif

smokin.gif
His perspective is REAL. You can't get mad at the truth man
laugh.gif
. Nas is NOT hot...and hot sells now, not skills or talent. I don't think Nasshould make club songs, but if he could, he'd be much more successful at this point. And I'm not saying he's not BALLIN by ourstandards. I'm saying he's very far behind his peers in "the biz" considering his talent level. You're right and you agree with me and Idon't even think you know it
laugh.gif
. Nas is grown up music. Grown ups don't control the market though. He neeeeeeds that kid approval.

^Bhudda im 22 im not a kid and those hot club songs came before 2000. Hot boy, nas is like, hate me now, if i ruled the world, etc. etc. those are all IWW,I Am days.. Stillmatic and God Son had maybe a total of 2-4 club bangers but son thats over a half a decade ago so how is my perspective whack? Lack of buzz? no a lack of beats, dedication, hard work, and sense of direction. If you don't put in work your work ain't gonna be hot Nas is proof of that. Nas is also proof of a legend that don't got it no more word to Krs-One and all those before 1990 rappers

You think SD n HHID was whack but I'll ask any way what off Stillmatic is a CLUB song? Matter fact you say you go to club so what in this past yearcouldve of even been played in the club from NaS what music does he even have out now? put me up on to somethin I said those old joints cuz I kno nobody s dumbenough to think Who Killed It and Still Dreaming, etc. is club songs or even worthy of a party in a scenario

smokin.gif

You know what the problem is? and what 18-30 year olds say about 40-70 years that is the truth (YALL STUCK IN THE PAST) to people 18-25 about rap. Every singlegot damn Nas and Jay diss thats soo true you got a hundred dukes bringin up Illmatic, REasonable doubt son that was 1994 and 1996 its almost 2008. You getcredit where it's due but if its 2008 and you still droppin albums and there not FUEGO then you aint FUEGO no more. Thats like you bunnin up a chick thatlooked like JLO in 2000 and right now at Xmas with yo parents she lookin like pun's wife all fat and##+%. But you keep tellin me but in 2000 she was JLOThats then this now SON... you slippin and fallin like dmx and ja career's

^Bhudda thats the point i made why are you disagreeing? i said i never hear his records in the club and nobody talks about him in the street. SO if youdidn't understand that means he's making no bangin records and no street records. Look at the thread name then look at his last 2 album titles one thathasn't come out. How can you disagree? it's too obvious

Originally Posted by Free The Chief

Yo...... WHAT????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me what songs of NaS should be bumped in the club You Owe Me????? Name some NaS club bangers for me doggie, your whole persepective is whack. NaS not being bumped in the club or streets aint an indicator of his releavance all that issh, is just his lack of buzz. Imma just have to say that NaS is generally for older ppl and not for kids.
tired.gif
tired.gif

smokin.gif

laugh.gif
. Nas is NOT hot...and hot sells now, not skills or talent. I don't think Nas should make club songs, but if he could, he'd be much more successful at this point. And I'm not saying he's not BALLIN by our standards. I'm saying he's very far behind his peers in "the biz" considering his talent level. You're right and you agree with me and I don't even think you know it
laugh.gif
. Nas is grown up music. Grown ups don't control the market though. He neeeeeeds that kid approval.

Yo forget it you're talkin on a whole other platform right now with a what if NaS was this n that. NaS doesn't make club songs in general so thatsnot up for discussion. Even when he went mainstream with IWW those joints weren't really club worthy it jus sounded good enough(beat wise) to be played inthe club. We all know that in the market today skills n talent aren't what sells and NaS has not bent to that way of making music.

Why would he need the kids approval? to sell? So explain to me how the N---er album is him looking for the kids approval? explain how HHID was looking for thekids approval? explain how Street Disciple is looking for the kids approval? How is ANY OF HIS ALBUMS looking for kids approal????? You mos def shouulda saidin ya title and ya OP that NAS is looking for "kids" approval I woulda said NO and kept it moving? PPl that are fans whatever the age know the typeof artist NaS is and its never been the artist looking for approval. sigh. What are you even talking about?
Plain and simple, Nas does NOT need approval in the rap game. When you're name is Nas and you have been one of the most celebrated mc's of all time you don't need much to make an impact anymore. Nas speaks his mind and I have respect for that.

smokin.gif

where did kids come from? why do u keep saying kids approval? hip hop as a whole didn't give it's approval you know why? didn't go platinum,didn't get any awards, didn't get any great reviews. like all his other albums before street's d came out. last 2 albums didn't get acceptedwell. Hopefully the new album will be fire. But i doubt it

where did kids come from? why do u keep saying kids approval? hip hop as a whole didn't give it's approval you know why? didn't go platinum, didn't get any awards, didn't get any great reviews. like all his other albums before street's d came out. last 2 albums didn't get accepted well. Hopefully the new album will be fire. But i doubt it

Go read Rilla's(Free The Chief) last post unless that whole paragraph is sarcasm and I overlooked it.

smokin.gif

Am I the only one who notices than papi's slang is always just slightly off??? Not getting at you my dude, just an observation.

Originally Posted by RockStarGetMoney

I love how cats love to bring the streets into the discussion. Let's keep it a hundred. The streets have the worse tast in music. I know that for a fact, becuase$@*!$*$ only wanna hear +@#* that relates to them. It could be the worse rapper out, but cats is gonna listen because they can "relate" to that. Just look at Jeezy and all these wack!%$* rappers who talk about coke and guns. To say he wouldn't have sold without Ether is ridiculous too.

Stupid? Right..
laugh.gif
......but why? Name a 13-18 year old that ain't on NT that's REALLY, REALLY checking for Nas. Dude is one step away from releasing a Koch-flop and retiring. It's true. He almost faded away with that Murder Inc deal. He's gotta do it BIG or else

I would love to tell you to stop posting, but I'm an advocate of free speech. You have said the most off the wall things in this thread. I'm talking broken clock on the floor...off the wall type +@#*.
laugh.gif
First, you say Illmatic is an EP(which is just plain ignorance and lack of understanding), and now you talk about a Murder Inc deal that never occured.
laugh.gif
How many 13-18 year olds really know music? My 15 year old cousin just told me "I'm about my doe and cheese, you can call me a slice of pizza" is one of the hottest lines he ever heard.
roll.gif
If a pathetic double entredre such as that is praised, then Nas is way over there heads anyway. But I agree with you though, because they are not checking for him.Then again, they aren't checking for anything that's good music, so what's the point? These lil dudes will check for anybody who talks about a pistol, crack, and how much money he has. A lot of hip hop fans are one dimensional.

Nas is a legend in his own league. Like I said, you don't know anything about Nas career. This is the same cat that is the 1st East Coast to debut at # 1 on the charts. Before Big or Jay. The same cat that Big said was the only artist in the game that he thought could see him lyrically in 94. The same cat who Jay went up to and said "I think me and you are the only two cats in the game that really got skills, dude's like Pac and DMX only really appeal to street cats"....Come on son..you slipping!
first italics: I don't disagree with you. As I've said numerous times, I'm not saying his music is bad. But if you dicredit the"bad" taste of the streets, as well as shun the "crossover appeal", you'll end up broke in this business. Period. You have to givepeople something they'll buy. Nas's career was saved by Summer Jam ironically. It's just like highschool in this buisness. It doesn't matter ifyou're a great person if you aren't popular, because most of the time no one cares to notice you. Jay, being the most popular name at the time, endedup helping Nas. Nas came out of the shadows and busted Jay's lip with Ether. That was a revitalizing spark and people started to pay attention to Nasagain, even if only because "he was that dude that Jay-Z battled". Now, I'm assuming most people knew who Nas was at the time. Duh... but howmany consumers were interested in buying a Nas album? You Owe Me didn't do it for him and that was the clubbiest joint he had at the moment. Ethergave him back that spark he had when he started, And from there his career has been trying to get bck to where it was circa Hate Me Now.

As for my the first bolded part, I really do know my music terminolgy. I ain't take 5 years of theory and lessons for the sport of it. I'm taking allthese insults with a
laugh.gif
tho... keep em' coming. I can back up everything I say,

The term EP is also sometimes applied to compact discs with short playing times. However, since a CD can carry any amount of material up to around 80 minutes, the distinction between a CD EP and a short CD LP is somewhat arbitrary and is based on artistic and marketing factors. The Mars Volta ran into problems with their five-track album Frances the Mute before its release; the final 32-minute track, "Cassandra Gemini", was divided into eight semi-arbitrary sections so the band would be paid an album's wages rather than an EP's.[1] Autechre decided to name one of their releases EP7 even though it contained 11 tracks and was over an hour long. On the other hand, Weezer's Green Album is not considered an EP even though it falls short of half an hour.
Some artists, especially in the days of vinyl, have released full-length albums that could fit the definition of a modern-day EP (Yes's Close to the Edge is nearly 39 minutes long; the Norwegian band Ulver's album Bergtatt is only 34 minutes, Prince's Dirty Mind is seconds short of a full half hour.) Conversely, there are EPs that are long enough to be albums. Marilyn Manson's Smells Like Children for example, which is 54 minutes long and Estradasphere's The Silent Elk of Yesterday clocks in at 74 minutes. This is particularly the case with the rare double EP, which contains two discs.

There are also some EPs which are even shorter than the standard single. It has become customary in recent years for new bands to release their first release nominally as an "EP" to give it grander connotations than a single. By giving the release a unique name (as opposed to it being named after the lead track on the CD) the band can garner more attention for the other tracks on the CD. Using the example of Arctic Monkeys, by calling their first release Five Minutes With Arctic Monkeys rather than Fake Tales of San Francisco (the first track on the CD) they also put the second track "From The Ritz to the Rubble" in the limelight. Thus, Five Minutes With Arctic Monkeys is more akin to a double-A side than a standard EP. Subsequently, similar releases by other new bands could be described as "triple-A sides" or even "quadruple-A sides".

A remix single is not considered an EP unless it also has a sufficient number of non-title tracks on it (an EP/single hybrid), usually half or more of the tracks on the release. The name "extended play" has become something of a misnomer, for though it originally was used for singles that were extended beyond the standard length, it is now more often synonymous with an album that is shorter than usual; indeed, EPs are sometimes referred to as "mini-albums" (see below). For this reason, among others, they are referred to as "EPs", the full name being used much more rarely.

And I believe I said ALMOST about the Inc deal. I know what happened. It was ALMOST a bad look, genius.

Now, more importantly...

Yeah, kids have horrible taste in music. But there's a fine line you can walk and that's where a shrewd buisness mind comes in handy. For instance,I'll use Jay-Z again cuz it's just so easy.

Take American Gangster por ejemplo. It has all the guns, drug talk, and punchline random BS that kids/ "the streets" like. It has laid back, moremature production for more than just street appeal tho. It's very "headphone- friendly" and not just "in the whip music" fo those ofyoou that prefer to jpg and pop in the ipod or whatever. And it has the same title/theme as a Denzel movie for crossover appeal, and that is one hell of amaretting strategy to lure in otherwise clueless potential consumers. Everybody is happy.

Last bold: I'm NOT slippin. I know these things.... but that shh is OLD news. Big ain't gonna help Nas pay for the taxes on his newest crib with Kelis.That number 1 song ain'tt bringing in "Number 1 on billboard" dough anymore. He can't live off of the @%%* that he did 13 years ago. ThatJay-Z cosign is the only thing still relevent to this day. No one outside of NY cares who Big thought was dope back in 94, I promise you that. Don'tbelieve me? Where's Jr. Mafia?

tired.gif
tired.gif

smokin.gif

laugh.gif
. Nas is NOT hot...and hot sells now, not skills or talent. I don't think Nas should make club songs, but if he could, he'd be much more successful at this point. And I'm not saying he's not BALLIN by our standards. I'm saying he's very far behind his peers in "the biz" considering his talent level. You're right and you agree with me and I don't even think you know it
laugh.gif

Yo forget it you're talkin on a whole other platform right now with a what if NaS was this n that. NaS doesn't make club songs in general so thats not up for discussion. Even when he went mainstream with IWW those joints weren't really club worthy it jus sounded good enough(beat wise) to be played in the club. We all know that in the market today skills n talent aren't what sells and NaS has not bent to that way of making music.

Why would he need the kids approval? to sell? So explain to me how the N---er album is him looking for the kids approval? explain how HHID was looking for the kids approval? explain how Street Disciple is looking for the kids approval? How is ANY OF HIS ALBUMS looking for kids approal????? You mos def shouulda said in ya title and ya OP that NAS is looking for "kids" approval I woulda said NO and kept it moving? PPl that are fans whatever the age know the type of artist NaS is and its never been the artist looking for approval. sigh. What are you even talking about?
smokin.gif

Why is it NOT up for discussion, because you don't wanna hear it?? If the market is in the club, you NEED to make club songs to survive in the market.There is no other major market in hip-hop right now besides the club scene or the crossover scene. No !%%%. That's a no brainer. What are YOU talkingabout? You're not even coherent in your arguements. Anyway, yes, Nas's latest 2 albums have been looking for kids approval/attention. Who was hetalking ABOUT on HHID? Certainly not us, not his older, more mature fan base that listens to lyrics an appreciates depth. He was talking ABOUT the youngergeneration that is caught up on today's rap. If he didn't care ABOUT the younger generations' approval, he wouldn't have thought hip hop wasdead in the first place, like myself, because it isn't dead INSIDE of the older audience. I think YOU missed the point of the whole album. as for hislatest joint, you honestly can't see how his title is a ploy to get people to talk about hia album? W T F are we doing right now then? You can'tpicture 16 year olds in a lunch room taling about "You heard about that new album caller ++$*$*?" Stop deluding yourself...

if I dropped the "hip-hop bible" along with several other solid albums, and I held it down for a decade.......... only to have cats triple my life's earings in 3 summers like 50 did. 50 is waaaaay more important than Nas right now (to the avg. rap consumer) and that's almost an insult...WAIT...it is an insult! Didn't 50 diss this "N******" ? What a slap in the face!! I know Nas wants that 50 dough man...shh..we all do. I think he's decided to go all out for it at this point. Expect his next album to be called "I'm Gonna kill The President Tuesday"

i guess you'd rather be rashard lewis than scottie pippen.
believe or not, some people put their passion over money. your logic is beginning not to make sense to me. if Nas were thirsty for $, it would be all in hissingles, not the titles of his album.
NINJER = marketing scheme to get your attention
song titled " Shake That Monkey" f/ nelly, T- pain, and soulja boy = i want to sell a jillion ringtones

Maybe Nelly is passionate about club music. Maybe he's the fun type. Maybe he's making music that reflects thatlifestyle....but maybe not. Why can't Nelly be just as "true to humself" as ya'll say NAs is being with this N***** gimmick? Why...no...HOWis THAT a gimmick and this isn't? Just because it's easier to sell a million ringtones with a catchy hook than it is to sell an album, doesn't meanNas doesn't want to sell that album. And if he's not the type to make ringtone music like ya'll say, then really, he HAS to sell that album. And heshould probablly try harder to do it, since that ringtone money ain't gonna cover his#!*! like it did for Yung Joc's horrible sales. And my logic makesperfect sense if you've ever recorded something that you were passionate about and tried to sell it. You'd be surprised the shh you have to go through.It's hard walking that line.

Like...really....what the hell does this even mean?
laugh.gif

if Nas were thirsty for $, it would be all in his singles, not the titles of his album.

No no no no no! That's one of many misconceptions that fans have. There are several marketing strats you can use. If every one used the same strats,nothing would stand out. Ya'll say Nas is so different, but you can't see that this is a different gimmick than the one most rappers use.

Like...really....what the hell does this even mean?
laugh.gif

rashard lewis will make more in the next 2 seasons than scottie pippen ever made.(in reference to 50's $/career vs. Nas' $/career)

Originally Posted by RockStarGetMoney

I love how cats love to bring the streets into the discussion. Let's keep it a hundred. The streets have the worse tast in music. I know that for a fact, becuase$@*!$*$ only wanna hear +@#* that relates to them. It could be the worse rapper out, but cats is gonna listen because they can "relate" to that. Just look at Jeezy and all these wack!%$* rappers who talk about coke and guns. To say he wouldn't have sold without Ether is ridiculous too.

Stupid? Right..
laugh.gif

I would love to tell you to stop posting, but I'm an advocate of free speech. You have said the most off the wall things in this thread. I'm talking broken clock on the floor...off the wall type +@#*.
laugh.gif
First, you say Illmatic is an EP(which is just plain ignorance and lack of understanding), and now you talk about a Murder Inc deal that never occured.
laugh.gif
How many 13-18 year olds really know music? My 15 year old cousin just told me "I'm about my doe and cheese, you can call me a slice of pizza" is one of the hottest lines he ever heard.
roll.gif
If a pathetic double entredre such as that is praised, then Nas is way over there heads anyway. But I agree with you though, because they are not checking for him.Then again, they aren't checking for anything that's good music, so what's the point? These lil dudes will check for anybody who talks about a pistol, crack, and how much money he has. A lot of hip hop fans are one dimensional.

Nas is a legend in his own league. Like I said, you don't know anything about Nas career. This is the same cat that is the 1st East Coast to debut at # 1 on the charts. Before Big or Jay. The same cat that Big said was the only artist in the game that he thought could see him lyrically in 94. The same cat who Jay went up to and said "I think me and you are the only two cats in the game that really got skills, dude's like Pac and DMX only really appeal to street cats"....Come on son..you slipping!
first italics: I don't disagree with you. As I've said numerous times, I'm not saying his music is bad. But if you dicredit the "bad" taste of the streets, as well as shun the "crossover appeal", you'll end up broke in this business. Period. You have to give people something they'll buy. Nas's career was saved by Summer Jam ironically. It's just like highschool in this buisness. It doesn't matter if you're a great person if you aren't popular, because most of the time no one cares to notice you. Jay, being the most popular name at the time, ended up helping Nas. Nas came out of the shadows and busted Jay's lip with Ether. That was a revitalizing spark and people started to pay attention to Nas again, even if only because "he was that dude that Jay-Z battled". Now, I'm assuming most people knew who Nas was at the time. Duh... but how many consumers were interested in buying a Nas album? You Owe Me didn't do it for him and that was the clubbiest joint he had at the moment. Ether gave him back that spark he had when he started, And from there his career has been trying to get bck to where it was circa Hate Me Now.

As for my the first bolded part, I really do know my music terminolgy. I ain't take 5 years of theory and lessons for the sport of it. I'm taking all these insults with a
laugh.gif
tho... keep em' coming. I can back up everything I say,

So your rambling is all about money?
laugh.gif
Wow, if its like that, then we have nothing to argue about. Nas is eating fine b. Are familiar with his stock portfolio? His real estate holdings. H ow much ROI he is earning on his investments? Are you his accountant? If the aim of your thread is how his marketability correlates to his assets, then you and I have nothing to talk about. We don't know the least of the man's financial standing. I'll tell you what I do know... If Swizz Beats never produced another beat, he would still be one rich!*+$ dude. His franchises, investments, and real estate are insane. Foxy Brown owns brownstones all through New York. She has Papa John's franchises. I could go on about the people in the industry I do know. If you think Rap is Nas' only breadmaker, then you know nothing about capitalism(but that's for another thread). You went from talking about approval to Nas potentially ending up broke. You're switching your argument for self-gratification. I guess whatever makes you feel like you won something my dude.

The term EP is also sometimes applied to compact discs with short playing times. However, since a CD can carry any amount of material up to around 80 minutes, the distinction between a CD EP and a short CD LP is somewhat arbitrary and is based on artistic and marketing factors. The Mars Volta ran into problems with their five-track album Frances the Mute before its release; the final 32-minute track, "Cassandra Gemini", was divided into eight semi-arbitrary sections so the band would be paid an album's wages rather than an EP's.[1] Autechre decided to name one of their releases EP7 even though it contained 11 tracks and was over an hour long. On the other hand, Weezer's Green Album is not considered an EP even though it falls short of half an hour.
Some artists, especially in the days of vinyl, have released full-length albums that could fit the definition of a modern-day EP (Yes's Close to the Edge is nearly 39 minutes long; the Norwegian band Ulver's album Bergtatt is only 34 minutes, Prince's Dirty Mind is seconds short of a full half hour.) Conversely, there are EPs that are long enough to be albums. Marilyn Manson's Smells Like Children for example, which is 54 minutes long and Estradasphere's The Silent Elk of Yesterday clocks in at 74 minutes. This is particularly the case with the rare double EP, which contains two discs.

There are also some EPs which are even shorter than the standard single. It has become customary in recent years for new bands to release their first release nominally as an "EP" to give it grander connotations than a single. By giving the release a unique name (as opposed to it being named after the lead track on the CD) the band can garner more attention for the other tracks on the CD. Using the example of Arctic Monkeys, by calling their first release Five Minutes With Arctic Monkeys rather than Fake Tales of San Francisco (the first track on the CD) they also put the second track "From The Ritz to the Rubble" in the limelight. Thus, Five Minutes With Arctic Monkeys is more akin to a double-A side than a standard EP. Subsequently, similar releases by other new bands could be described as "triple-A sides" or even "quadruple-A sides".

A remix single is not considered an EP unless it also has a sufficient number of non-title tracks on it (an EP/single hybrid), usually half or more of the tracks on the release. The name "extended play" has become something of a misnomer, for though it originally was used for singles that were extended beyond the standard length, it is now more often synonymous with an album that is shorter than usual; indeed, EPs are sometimes referred to as "mini-albums" (see below). For this reason, among others, they are referred to as "EPs", the full name being used much more rarely.
No matter how you try to slice it, Illmatic IS NOT AN EP. It is an LP and Sony marketed the record as an LP. An EP is classified as under 30 minutes long. Illmatic is about 40 minutes long, but your point wasn't running time. It was the number of songs. As I said, some of music's greatest albums were under 40 minutes long son. I was just bumping one today, Prince's Purple Rain.
pimp.gif
One of the most influential pop records. I'm not one to front though. Illmatic wasn't something big until It Was Written came out. Illmatic was a New York album and a underground album that was hailed as a classic. It wasn't a mainstream classic, but it has grown to be a true masterpiece of all genres because its timeless music and the perfection of lyricism. So your point is mute. There are no holes in the record.

And I believe I said ALMOST about the Inc deal. I know what happened. It was ALMOST a bad look, genius.

You didn't say almost.
laugh.gif
Almost was not in your sentence, but who cares.

Now, more importantly...

Yeah, kids have horrible taste in music. But there's a fine line you can walk and that's where a shrewd buisness mind comes in handy. For instance, I'll use Jay-Z again cuz it's just so easy.

Take American Gangster por ejemplo. It has all the guns, drug talk, and punchline random BS that kids/ "the streets" like. It has laid back, more mature production for more than just street appeal tho. It's very "headphone- friendly" and not just "in the whip music" fo those of yoou that prefer to jpg and pop in the ipod or whatever. And it has the same title/theme as a Denzel movie for crossover appeal, and that is one hell of a maretting strategy to lure in otherwise clueless potential consumers. Everybody is happy.

Last bold: I'm NOT slippin. I know these things.... but that shh is OLD news. Big ain't gonna help Nas pay for the taxes on his newest crib with Kelis. That number 1 song ain'tt bringing in "Number 1 on billboard" dough anymore. He can't live off of the @%%* that he did 13 years ago. That Jay-Z cosign is the only thing still relevent to this day. No one outside of NY cares who Big thought was dope back in 94, I promise you that. Don't believe me? Where's Jr. Mafia?

Again the whole point of your post switched from approval to Nas' financial situation. You want to be Lyer Cohenand Charles Schwaab in the same post. If you want to talk about the financial situation of certain artist in the game, then start another post....because youwouldn't have a clue. Master P still has more money than most of these new cats in the club throwing money in the air. Let's talk about Wyclef, or someother dudes who haven't been seen much. Let's really discuss publishing. Just because someone isn't on TV showing what they have, doesn't meanthey're starving. It probably means they understand the difference between being rich and being wealthy, or it could mean they're just flat broke. ButI doubt you know about making money in music, let alone who is making it.

Back
Top Bottom