NaS has been SOOOOO desperate for APPROVAL since Ether....

Why is it NOT up for discussion, because you don't wanna hear it?? If the market is in the club, you NEED to make club songs to survive in the market. There is no other major market in hip-hop right now besides the club scene or the crossover scene. No !%%%. That's a no brainer. What are YOU talking about? You're not even coherent in your arguements. Anyway, yes, Nas's latest 2 albums have been looking for kids approval/attention. Who was he talking ABOUT on HHID? Certainly not us, not his older, more mature fan base that listens to lyrics an appreciates depth. He was talking ABOUT the younger generation that is caught up on today's rap. If he didn't care ABOUT the younger generations' approval, he wouldn't have thought hip hop was dead in the first place, like myself, because it isn't dead INSIDE of the older audience. I think YOU missed the point of the whole album. as for his latest joint, you honestly can't see how his title is a ploy to get people to talk about hia album? W T F are we doing right now then? You can't picture 16 year olds in a lunch room taling about "You heard about that new album caller ++$*$*?" Stop deluding yourself...
Yo my man for that 1st bold thats true but then this is the case for many rappers in this day n age. 2nd bold regarding HHID if that albumwasn't for us and for the kids as you say I dont know how who has ever gained approval by kids by talkin down to them which is exaclty what he did onacouple track on HHID. 3rd n final bold you say to get people to talk about the album then go on to say 16 yeard olds in the lunch room. You do know its noteither or but both right? This got everybodys attention not just the kids, if it was only the kids I'd suggest this thread is made on ISS. You'refocusing on the kids which supposedly control the market of hip hop today. When in truth they dont every club banger that has come out has not resulted in goodsales for the album theres only a select few of artists selling regardless of the music and off name only and NaS is not 1 of them. So you're telling me ifNaS started making club joints the kids would approve of him and suddenly he'd sell? Are you dusted too my man??? You need to stop deluding yourself on whoyou really think NaS is. I mean straight out tell me what you want NaS to do in this situation. To you if nobody was talkin about this N---er album the way youthink NaS is he would have failed in trying to stir up a commotion right? sigh if thats what it comes to then so be it. How was SD for the kids? you didntanswer that btw. All of a sudden since Stillmatic NaS has turned into the rapper that craves attention and needs the approval of the younger generation forwhat? for what tho just so another generation can know he's a legend? whats his motive to do this. Is he that scared that his career is over? You know whatIm begining not to care anymore what you assume I dont want to hear is simply not the truth

smokin.gif

Dude's been battling with sharks and always dropped an album worth the wait. But that isn't the same as doing the breast stroke in those waves and making it look soooo easy, and rising to 3-4 hundred million in the process. Nas has been in that water for years and now cats are comming in and making a KILLING before they even get their hair wet. That's my perspective. I'd be PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED if I dropped the "hip-hop bible" along with several other solid albums, and I held it down for a decade.......... only to have cats triple my life's earings in 3 summers like 50 did. 50 is waaaaay more important than Nas right now (to the avg. rap consumer) and that's almost an insult...WAIT...it is an insult! Didn't 50 diss this "N******" ? What a slap in the face!! I know Nas wants that 50 dough man...shh..we all do. I think he's decided to go all out for it at this point. Expect his next album to be called "I'm Gonna kill The President Tuesday"

since we on it comparing Jay and Nas' career up until now, Jay has been dropping commercial/radio friendly songs since RD & pop songs since Vol 1, andstayed in that lane for the rest of his career. Has caught a considerable amount of criticism from media critics and hiphop legends for it (some like DJPremier saying he's not what he categorizes as an "MC", just a rapper), and accolades from those other media critics and current rappers who seehim dropping those same type of records while maintaining/balancing his artistic credibility...add that with Jay having prolly the most business-savvy mind inthe history of rap, he was able to capitalize off that to become what he is.

Everybody should know by now that's not Nas' lane. Doesnt seem to me you are even arguing your og point anymore tho...
I know Nas wants that 50 dough man...shh..we all do. I think he's decided to go all out for it at this point. Expect his next album to be called "I'm Gonna kill The President Tuesday"
Rilla, you not thinking about what you sayin lol....if you think Nas was tryna go all out to sell records, why would he come out with HipHop isDead & Cant Forget About You as singles, when there was obviously songs on the album that coulda drew more attention from that mainstream crowd who sellsrecords?? The content of this new album will COST him sells, and he knows that, he's stated that on MTV. Stores have came out and said they wont carry thealbum in stores. Your theory and the reality of whats going on doesnt add up.... and you keep ignoring my best point/s...

but I mean, of course he's trying to 'make a splash' with this album, he has something to say. Also, its not like this is ''out the blue" so-to-speak, its not like he dont have his reasons or motivation behind the title, which you may be ignoring...

^actually read that this time...

believe or not, some people put their passion over money. your logic is beginning not to make sense to me. if Nas were thirsty for $, it would be all in his singles, not the titles of his album.
Exactly....

Nas is NOT hot...and hot sells now,
His last album sold...

but how many consumers were interested in buying a Nas album? You Owe Me didn't do it for him and that was the clubbiest joint he had at the moment. Ether gave him back that spark he had when he started, And from there his career has been trying to get bck to where it was circa Hate Me Now.
You Owe Me did do it for him, he dropped that album a few months after I Am, and gave him his second platinum album in a year...gave his squad ahit record, was featured on other hit records...He coulda came out anytime after and still did the exact same numbers, selling wasnt his problem. The qualityof music expected from an artist of his caliber was his problem, and thats what Jay lit a match up under. And "Made You Look" was the biggest anthemof his career, which was an album after...

and about Nas not being hot in the streets, I guess I can only speak for Detroit (and I am the streets there, for the record, word to The Lox & myavy), Nas has always gotten love in the city, but Street's Disciple was completely ignored by everybody, I didnt hear not ONE person with that album. Imsure thats due to him dropping Jazz & Blues singles (and even that album did like 250K+ first week). Ive spoken on this on here before, but I was surprisedas hell how many dudes was on HHID when it first came out (especially from the young N's). That album was almost as popular as Jeezy's for a min, fadedtho... But the city is pretty 'real hiphop' inclined tho, so Im sure it wasnt the same in other places.

Maybe Nelly is passionate about club music. Maybe he's the fun type. Maybe he's making music that reflects that lifestyle....but maybe not. Why can't Nelly be just as "true to humself" as ya'll say NAs is being with this N***** gimmick? Why...no...HOW is THAT a gimmick and this isn't?
Maybe he is. More than likely he's not. Nelly's first album came out, and even tho it had club records, was on some somestraight G' $@*#, had the midwest on lock somethin crazy. It turned out to successful as hell mainstream, sold 9 mill. What happened after that? Herealized how much he could cake and went all the way commercial, although he didnt have to. That leads me to believe he's in this purely for themoney. We already know about 50 Cent, we shouldnt have to touch his career.

In response to the Rashard lewis thing..

Oh ok... I didn't know that. I'd rather be Pippen, no question, as far as my music and career goes. Actually, at this point, I'd rather be the D1hooper that graduated from college and never made the league, but still had that degree. I'm disgusted with the way this buisness is now and I could careless for the riches and fame as long as I can still make music.

But that's alot easier to say as a college student on the way to becoming a nurse. Once you've made it into the biz as deep as Nas, you don't quitwhen the game changes. You adapt to it. You can't quit once you get addicted to the life and it's rewards. See:Jay, Too short, LL, etc. I think Nas, asPippen, feels he deserves Jordan figures by now. Keep in mind, Pippen helped win 6 rings too, along with def. player of the year several times, and did he winan MVP when Jordan "retired" (This parallels so nicely....)?

You feel me? Nas has to feel like he's given as much, if not more, than someone the cats that are getting BANK.

Now Ez...

"Everybody should know by now that's not Nas' lane. Doesnt seem to me you are even arguing your og point anymore tho... "

I was just following the turns the thread took. I read your quote severa times too
laugh.gif
. I'm not ignoring his reasons, I'm looking past them at what ibelieve is the truth.. I Everybody should know by now that's not Nas' lane. Doesnt seem to me you are even arguing your og point anymore tho... Ihear what he's saying but I don't buy it.

You Owe Me did do it for him, he dropped that album a few months after I Am, and gave him his second platinum album in a year...gave his squad a hit record, was featured on other hit records...He coulda came out anytime after and still did the exact same numbers, selling wasnt his problem. The quality of music expected from an artist of his caliber was his problem, and thats what Jay lit a match up under. And "Made You Look" was the biggest anthem of his career, which was an album after...
It seems I may be misinformed then, You got some numbers I can peep at?

and about Nas not being hot in the streets, I guess I can only speak for Detroit (and I am the streets there, for the record, word to The Lox & my avy), Nas has always gotten love in the city, but Street's Disciple was completely ignored by everybody, I didnt hear not ONE person with that album. Im sure thats due to him dropping Jazz & Blues singles (and even that album did like 250K+ first week). Ive spoken on this on here before, but I was surprised as hell how many dudes was on HHID when it first came out (especially from the young N's). That album was almost as popular as Jeezy's for a min, faded tho... But the city is pretty 'real hiphop' inclined tho, so Im sure it wasnt the same in other places.

Recieved NO buzz whatsoever here...
smh.gif

Maybe he is. More than likely he's not. Nelly's first album came out, and even tho it had club records, was on some some straight G' $@*#, had the midwest on lock somethin crazy. It turned out to successful as hell mainstream, sold 9 mill. What happened after that? He realized how much he could cake and went all the way commercial, although he didnt have to. That leads me to believe he's in this purely for the money. We already know about 50 Cent, we shouldnt have to touch his career.

The "amaeteur" rap scene works the complete opposite way as the mainstream tho. To get on from the hood, you have to make stuff the hood feels.I'm talking pre-Country Grammar. To get Columbia to even give you that shot, you gotta be semi-on somewhere. Maybe his 2nd album was him revertingback to his OG ways before the pressure of being a hood rapper was even an issue. Maybe.... but probably not. My point is that you can't takeanything you hear or see from these entertainers at surface value. Which brings me right back around to my original position on the upcoming Nas release. Ithink it's a gimmick.

must kill Nas too see what the game has become considering he helped to set the standard.

i think thats why he having these 'please listen to my album' kinda titles. tryna deviate n's away from all the weak +!@@.

the only time i think nas was really desperate for approval was between the time jay dropped takeover until just after ether dropped. if he wouldn't havestepped up to jay and responded the way he did i don't think people would really respect him (moreso than his music) the way they do now, nobody wasreally expecting him to come with that. on the music side of things, i don't think nas has ever needed approval by anyone, because his talent and catalogueis unquestionable. but even with that said, in today's game your only as good as your last album, so in some respects every rapper is looking for people toapprove their next album to keep them relevant even if that's not the way it should be.

Somewhere in between Nastradaumus and Stillmatic Nas lost something tho. Stillmatic is STILL my favorite Nas album, but to me, after that album Nas went from demanding respect to begging for it. His last 2 albums have been so desperate for attention that it's sad, man. HHID was quality music, no question, but the whole idea of naming your album Hip-Hop Is Dead is sooooooooo gimmicky. It's a cry for attention and I really struggle with respecting it. Now this new album is just crazy. Dude might as well pose nude on his cover and add some sort of glow in the dark lettering to the title or something. He's trying so hard to be accepted when skills should be able to speak for themselves
lets give nas the benefit of the doubt here, even if the title hip hop is dead is gimmicky (the title american gangster is gimmicky, no?), he's one of the few rap artists that can name his album that and not just be a gimmick because of what's behind it. i'd have a problem with it ifit was soulja boy or somebody like that naming their album by either of those two titles or something similar. it'd also be something else if he named hisalbum hip hop is dead at a time when alot of people weren't thinking that, i also don't think he named the album hip hop is dead solely to speak on whyhip hop is dead, but to show that hip hop couldn't possibly be dead if good music (like his own) was still coming out.

It seems I may be misinformed then, You got some numbers I can peep at?

# 90 Singles Artist of the Year
april.gif

[/font]
button.gif
Nas topped the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart for 2 weeks and the Top R&B Albums chart for 3 weeks with
[/font]

may.gif

button.gif
[/font] was certified platinum.
button.gif
Nas hit the Top 40 with "
Nas Is Like."

august.gif

button.gif
Nas could be heard on
Mary J. Blige's LP, [/font].

september.gif

button.gif
Nas was nominated for a
MTV Video Music Award for Best Rap Video ("Hate Me Now" with Puff Daddy).

november.gif

[/font].

december.gif

button.gif
[/font] was certified platinum.
button.gif
Nas hit the Top 40 helping out
Missy Elliott with "Hot Boyz" which also features Eve, and Q-Tip - from Missy's LP [/font].

february.gif

button.gif
Nas was nominated for a
Grammy Award for Best Rap Album ("[/font]").

april.gif

button.gif
[/font] was certified 2x platinum.

The "amaeteur" rap scene works the complete opposite way as the mainstream tho. To get on from the hood, you have to make stuff the hood feels. I'm talking pre-Country Grammar. To get Columbia to even give you that shot, you gotta be semi-on somewhere. Maybe his 2nd album was him reverting back to his OG ways before the pressure of being a hood rapper was even an issue. Maybe.... but probably not. My point is that you can't take anything you hear or see from these entertainers at surface value

I forgot to mention in there that before Country Grammer came out, he didnt rap like that. He changed his style up for his debut record. He usedto have a fast-paced rapping style before he blew. He started to harmonize a lil to make his songs more commercial-friendly for his debut, then took it intooverdrive afterwards...he even talked about that on that VH1 Drive he had.

So what was probabaly right about Nelly is a fact. Ok. And I stand corrected on "You Owe Me" and the success of that album. I guess it justsounded like it wasn't suppossed to sell
grin.gif
. I dunno... that might change the way I look at this latest album. I'll have to think on it fora second.

Yeah his flow is still hot, but his ear for the beats suck.

Back on topic, I honestly think that he wanted commercial success for HHID too. But he didn't go out of his way (change his flow or delivery) to convincepeople to purchase his album, but he did make a wider variety of songs. But I think we would all agree that Nas should stick to his old formula (poetic, dark,gritty but filled with meaning and substance). BTW, gritty songs can have good beats.

I think this whole debate stems from Nas' continuous struggle with his image as an entertainer, and you know what I'm talking about. Even hesaid it: "Nasty Nas, to Esco, to Escobar, now he is Nastradamus"...it's like are you the ill lyricist or the colombian-influenced drug dealer orare you the prophet? not to compare (eventhough it's inevitable) look at Jay-z. It's always been the SAME thing with him, and immediately he deviatedfrom that (KC)...it didn't work all too well b/c that wasn't the Jay we all knew. so, yes Nas is just constantly struggling with his image andtrying to stay relevant, ironically, he doesn't have to try if he just did focused entirely on the music and not on the things surrounding it

This topic is so off base that it's ridiculous, it seems some of you have a problem with dude. It was desperate for approval and now it's cash?

You feel me? Nas has to feel like he's given as much, if not more, than someone the cats that are getting BANK.

Did you watch his mtv diary around when stillmatic came out? Some beer company called him to make some type of marketing deal with him and he clearly said nah,any other rapper would've jumped at that without hesitation. So dude is not desperate for the cash. Then you have the nerve to say this?

I'm disgusted with the way this buisness is now and I could care less for the riches and fame as long as I can still make music.

Then this dude should be your idol. He is real passionate about his profession and that's why I think he has lasted this long in the game despite notselling ridiculous numbers. People can tell when one is passionate about their work.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

This topic is so off base that it's ridiculous, it seems some of you have a problem with dude. It was desperate for approval and now it's cash?

Did you watch his mtv diary around when stillmatic came out? Some beer company called him to make some type of marketing deal with him and he clearly said nah, any other rapper would've jumped at that without hesitation. So dude is not desperate for the cash. Then you have the nerve to say this?

I'm disgusted with the way this buisness is now and I could care less for the riches and fame as long as I can still make music.

Then this dude should be your idol. He is real passionate about his profession and that's why I think he has lasted this long in the game despite not selling ridiculous numbers. People can tell when one is passionate about their work.

Dude IS desperate for rap money. Don't you see? Like I said, if he's not making ringtone songs or doing beer ads (like you said) then he mustREALLY need that album to sell. He doesn't have other ventures (that I know of) so he needs that album money by any means. And Nas IS one of my idols, Ibeeeeeeeen saying that. Jay is my biggest influence and my biggest role model though because of the way he handles his business. I would prefer it if theindustry was just beats and rhymes and consumers, but it isn't. And since it isn't, I wouldn't follow Nas entirely because he's shown that hecan't swim in those waters as well as even less talented individuals, and that's really just unnacceptable. So basically, even though I hatethis business, I'm in it to win it. And Jay-Z has been just as passionate as Nas, but he's made great moves to get him to where he is. That'sadmirable.

Just throwin this out there...

Stupid? Right..
laugh.gif
......but why? Name a 13-18 year old that ain't on NT that's REALLY, REALLY checking for Nas. Dude is one step away from releasing a Koch-flop and retiring. It's true. He almost faded away with that Murder Inc deal. He's gotta do it BIG or else..
Damn FTC... not only did you not get back at me 3 pages ago lol... you also killed me with that one man... from some of your other responses i at least thoughtyou had your head screwed on right..Not tryin to offend or insult... But your responses are becoming a little more ROC and a little less objective IMO. KochFlop and retiring? for real? Have you heard American Gangster? a hard 6.5 in my book. I feel like Nas still diversifies the flow, and jay still rappin bouthis net worth..

Dude IS desperate for rap money. Don't you see? Like I said, if he's not making ringtone songs or doing beer ads (like you said) then he must REALLY need that album to sell. He doesn't have other ventures (that I know of) so he needs that album money by any means.
This is why I said to go back n watch/read NaS interviews from HHID to now, my dude said desperate for album money
laugh.gif
. Only dudes who see REAL money from album sales is Eminem and it use to beCurtis. Going gold will not get you no real type of cut from the album. NaS has side ventures; a failed reality show, a failed shoe line, probably tried tomake that mainstream money in other ways we dont know yet. Dude has seen them fail for the most part and has given up. I'll bet you this if this N---eralbum doesn't create enough buzz to go gold(and I dont think it will) NaS album after that will not in your terms be an album looking for attention orapproval by anyone. I can almost guarantee that.

smokin.gif

I can't agree with that. Nas's music may not be relevant to you because now days he has a revolutionizing demenor. You could take me back to thestillmatic era and I could easily blast some!*%+ off there, but the only thing is it's not radio play NOW. Nas is hands down a hiphop icon with the backingof the best main stream hiphop label in the world, why not come out with somthing uplifting with positive charter vice versa the music that's out today. Ihonestly couldn't even vision nas being that gimmicky.

NaS has side ventures; a failed reality show, a failed shoe line, probably tried to make that mainstream money in other ways we dont know yet.
roll.gif
i cant tell if your pro nas or not.

Originally Posted by Buddha JAPE

NaS has side ventures; a failed reality show, a failed shoe line, probably tried to make that mainstream money in other ways we dont know yet.
roll.gif
i cant tell if your pro nas or not.

laugh.gif
Im probably not pro NaS but I dont agree with this thread AT ALLafter I seen what Rilla was really sayin. Dude earlier was sayin Im a big NaS fan I was caught off guard. Just becuz I may think a NaS album is whackdoesn't mean I think dude is lookin for approval.

smokin.gif

Nas has always been controversial. Threadstarter sounds like he's only been listening to rap for the past 8 months.

Illmatic > Reasonable Doubt

Ether > Takeover

Nas's Verse on Black Republicans > Jay-Z's verse on Black Republicans

It Was Written > The Blueprint

Jay-Z's verse on Success > Nas's verse on Success (The song was wack and they both came wack..)

Overall:
Nas > Jay

Close thread

Originally Posted by Mickey Moss

Nas has always been controversial. Threadstarter sounds like he's only been listening to rap for the past 8 months.

Illmatic > Reasonable Doubt

Ether > Takeover

Nas's Verse on Black Republicans > Jay-Z's verse on Black Republicans

It Was Written > The Blueprint

Jay-Z's verse on Success > Nas's verse on Success (The song was wack and they both came wack..)

Overall:
Nas > Jay

Close thread

Wrong thread. And it's been about 16 years... well that's as far back as I can remember, smart%++%....

Wrong thread. And it's been about 16 years... well that's as far back as I can remember, smart%++%....
Wait a min you 19 been listening to rap for 16 years since the age of 3 and still didnt listen to illmatic?

smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom