Nas might have a chance at actually winning....

Massacre was a dope album, a few duds but overall good album. In my own good :nthat:

And I still don't get how some people say dilla >>>>>>> timbo. Ya crazy. Timbo has transcended hip hop/rap beats. My mans made a country rap album with bubba Sparks and the beats were :smokin . Timbo top 5 all time right there with dre and premo.

Missy Elliot shes a ***** :pimp:

Funny

Never have i ever heard Nas was overrated or whack until these threads on nt. In my 23 years of living not 1 person said Nas had no talent

Yet i heard plenty of times jay z is overrated or he isn't that that great. Never seen the caping for jay z until these types of threads on nt
yeah. Makes you wonder who these dudes are. My guess is they are still teenagers and don't know any better. :lol:

This actually makes sense. Jay is still making music and Nas hasnt been relevant in a decade. Would make sense if it was teenagers because they arenold eough to have been around when Nas was making good music.

Its like when a 14 year old compares LeBron to Jordan. Same thing.

No! Nobody in Texas listens to that wack ****. Im a 90's head and listened to it all and can promise you he didn't have a following like that here. None of my peers even know who he is.

In all seriousness he wasn't bad but I honestly think his death kind of made people overrate him

Was gonna make an actual response to this until I looked at the SN. Carry on.

Old jay > old nas
New nas > new jay

Agreed. Was a huge Jay fan and a decent Nas fan, then gradually that flipped.

Funny

Never have i ever heard Nas was overrated or whack until these threads on nt. In my 23 years of living not 1 person said Nas had no talent

Yet i heard plenty of times jay z is overrated or he isn't that that great. Never seen the caping for jay z until these types of threads on nt
yeah. Makes you wonder who these dudes are. My guess is they are still teenagers and don't know any better. :lol:

This actually makes sense. Jay is still making music and Nas hasnt been relevant in a decade. Would make sense if it was teenagers because they arenold eough to have been around when Nas was making good music.

Its like when a 14 year old compares LeBron to Jordan. Same thing.

A decade is 10 years. In the past 10 years Nas has released 4 albums (including a joint album), all high charting. If you're gonna make a claim like this, at least make sure you're correct so you won't look goofy and uninformed. Irrelevant would be J-Kwon, Dem Franchize Boys, Chingy, Mims, etc, people who've legit been out the spotlight and off the radar.

Also, thought Massacre was a good album, just carefully crafted as if 50 pinpointed exactly that he wanted radio, street, and introspective songs evenly.

Last edited:
I loved Disant Relatives. But the rest of what he has released in the last decade has been largely forgettable. I guess relevance completely depends on your interpretation. Nas is still hanging around and making music. But he is no longer at the top or near the top of the hip hop game. That is MY interpretation of relevance.

And in the context to what I was replying to (younger hip hop fans), he is not being checked for at all.

yep, you are 100% correct with this statement. but NT music, hiphop forums, and real life are two different things

and I can promise you NT music and hiphop forums are the only place you would see someone say j dilla is better than timbaland. 

Why discount nt and music forums opinions though? I would think the opinion of someone who enjoys music enough that they actively participate in online music/hip hop forums would be more valid than your casual radio listener. I mean if you just look at what gets a lot of plays on the radio and what lots of people (unfortunately) like then you can see how bad a lot "real life" people's musical tastes are. I'd take an online hip hop forum members opinion before a lot of people out there in the real world.

Last edited:
I loved Disant Relatives. But the rest of what he has released in the last decade has been largely forgettable. I guess relevance completely depends on your interpretation. Nas is still hanging around and making music. But he is no longer at the top or near the top of the hip hop game. That is MY interpretation of relevance.

And in the context to what I was replying to (younger hip hop fans), he is not being checked for at all.
and unlike nas, jay is jammed down everyone's throats. And let's not forget his association with kanye and what that fan base is like. :lol:

Last edited:

and unlike nas, jay is jammed down everyone's throats. And let's not forget his association with kanye and what that fan base is like. :lol:

Please explain jammed down everyone's throats.

In 2015 there's like 6 people at the top of the hip hop game. Relevance to me when it comes to an album releasing is where is it on the billboard, and how much does it sell, both which puts Nas in that category, even with his last album last being in 2012. His releases may as well have been forgettable to you, but they still chart and sell well, and if he was releasing an album soon, I feel like it would be the same. You can also been fooled into thinking somebody is relevant just cause you may see them all the time, but when you approach somebody about them, they won't know a peep about them. There's a boat load of rappers on youtube with 500K+ views, yet are on no one's radar.

Last edited:
yep, you are 100% correct with this statement. but NT music, hiphop forums, and real life are two different things

lets compare there touring and the venues they perform at

and I can promise you NT music and hiphop forums are the only place you would see someone say j dilla is better than timbaland
View media item 1559970as for the tired "he's filling up more venues therefore he's better" point, you must think one direction are the next beatles then :lol:
there is so much marketing and other bs that has nothing to do with the actual music that it makes that point moot.
i'd rather take the opinion of informed people that follow the music and know what they're talking about in hip hop forums than some casual listener that only listens to the radio and whatever rapper is the flavor of the month.

Last edited:
People including the artists' personal lives, when we should strictly be discussing only their music. For instance, Andre 3000 literally has not dropped an album (solo or duo) since idlewild in 2006. Features here and there but, he will always be in demand, musically. Second tier hip-hop fans are now about 25-40 years old (Pretty much fans from the early 90s - present). Someone mentioned a few months ago on this forum that new hip-hop/rap fans don't research the past, like fans of other music genres, which is true. You can't blame the "veteran" fans, but give the newer, casual fans a pass, because they are lazy historians.

I can recite and listen to Gangstarr, EPMD, Brand Nubian, but also nod my head to Young Thug, Chief Keef, or Travis Scott.

I view it as a cop-out for some dudes to try and justify a legendary musician being overlooked, because of fareweather fans.

Lastly, using figures based on youtube views, twitter mentions, and other such things, wich has nothing to do with the content of the "music". It's a popularity contest. Like college recruiting or high school superlatives. "Most likely to succeed" "Prom King/Queen" don't mean a thing in the long run. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Fab is a legend?

>D

C'mon man. I'm gonna overlook this...

View media item 1560756

and this...

View media item 1560757

And give him props for dropping some decent music with Clue, but Fab missed his opportunity to snatch the crown when it was up for grabs and hasn't been too strong since. He definitely has some classic features though. Him and Lil' Mo used to kill it when their powers were combined.

I think fabulous is a legend , he's one of how many rappers from the 90's mixtape scene that is still talked about and is still dropping music people look forward too , he's made classic mixtures and dropped classic singles ....I consider an outlier ... punchline rap, club music ,quality songs for women and occasional drug raps

Last edited:
I was talking about the rag around the fitted. :lol: :smh:

His music was ok imo. I had a burned disc or two.

Fab is not a legend. Legends actually have good albums.

Last edited:
I actual that was from so into you
but that Jacob the jeweler x throwback era in hip hop was questionable in general from a fashion point of view :lol:

Last edited:
Fab is not a legend. Legends actually have good albums.
he has classic projects ,mixtures , singles, longevity etc
he arguably has the goat mixtape .
if you making the "hip hop culture" argument that means a lot .

Is he in the same league as rakim, jay, nas etc NO but Charles Barkley still a legend even tho he ain't Duncan,Bird,Hayes,Garnett . Etc

Last edited:
Classic singles and projects? Nah. A couple mixtapes maybe.

Last edited:
Breathe still sounds good today.

"1 and then the 2... 2 and then the 3..."

Last edited:
If you weren't in Brooklyn in the summer of 04 when Breathe dropped your opinion of Fab is literally irrelevant

Back
Top Bottom