NBA Draft stock post

I only read the first and last pages, but what do yall think about Bill Walker. Where will he land if he goes... because he is leaving. Right?

With Bill if depends on how he works out. Bill will be about 14 months post injury and will be nearing 100%. If he has a good tourney and is able to get inbetter shape then he will be a lotto pick.

yall are definitely forgetting about Romeo Miller at USC..Bound to be a top 3 pick this year if he enters the draft

laugh.gif
i kid i kid

what about Nick Callathes, i doubt he'll leave...he's a little ont he stiff side but i think he'd be pretty good in the league if he gets a lilstronger

Callathes is good but c'mon......NBA? He shouldn't even think about the league until after his junior season

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

Callathes is good but c'mon......NBA? He shouldn't even think about the league until after his junior season
He's a 6-6 (and if his brother is any indication...he's probably still growing) crafty point guard...he won't have to think about it...thescouts will be on him regardless.

As for James Gist...he's a 2nd rounder at this point. As good as he's playing...he's still a 6'7 PF. He's going to have to put in WORK inthe camps.

Chad Ford insider article concerning Sophmores:

Draft Watch: Patience paying off for some sophomores

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

Last year, a record eight college freshmen went in the first round. And a handful of other promising freshmen would have been first-round picks if they declared for the draft.
Did they make a mistake by forgoing the riches of the NBA lottery for a sophomore season or have they improved their game and their draft stock? And which other sophomores have improved their play to the point that they are getting first-round mentions? After talking with numerous NBA scouts and executives, here's a look at a group of college sophomores who look like they could make some noise come June. [h2]The Fab Five[/h2]
19042.jpg

Brook Lopez, C, Stanford
At the end of last season, Lopez ranked as the eighth-best prospect in our top 100 for the 2007 draft, but he decided to return to school for his sophomore year. That quickly backfired when he was suspended indefinitely from the team for not attending classes earlier this season. He ended up missing the first nine games of the season and slipped down to No. 15 on our board. Scouts everywhere were asking the same question? How can a guy with such a bright future turn down the NBA for college and then quit going to class? Now that he's back, Lopez has been on fire. He's averaging nearly 18 points per game and 8 rebounds in just 26 minutes per game. Offensively, Lopez has shown the ability to score both inside and outside. He has good athleticism for a big guy, long arms and a good motor. Although scouts wish he was a more dominant rebounder and shot-blocker, the truth is that his brother, Robin, often takes care of that for him. Right now Lopez is ranked No. 7 on our big board, but he has the potential to be a top 5 pick in the 2008 draft.
19026.jpg

Chase Budinger, SG, Arizona
Budinger finished last season ranked No. 9 in our Top 100 and has used this season to solidify his ranking in the top 10.
Budinger has all the tools to be a dominant swingman in the NBA. He is tall, athletic, has a killer jump shot and can jump out of the gym.

But after a good freshman season, scouts are currently scratching their heads a little as to why Budinger isn't more dominant. He has all the tools to be the man in Arizona, but he's often overshadowed by freshman Jerryd Bayless.

Part of Budinger's problem is that he still lacks a solid in-between game. He takes a lot of 3s and gets it going to the basket ... but he lacks the ballhandling skills to create more for himself. And although he's a freak leaper, he doesn't always use his athleticism in his game.

Still, scouts say Budinger has a chance to be special as a pro. He looks like a lock to be a top 10 pick in the draft.

19062.jpg

Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas
Arthur is another player who, on paper, should be dominating. He's long, athletic and skilled, but he continues to be inconsistent on both ends of the floor.
Arthur has a lot of talent around him at Kansas and at times he seems content to let his teammates do the work. When he gets it going, he looks like a top 5 pick. When he doesn't get it going, he looks more like a first-round bubble guy.

"I'm scared of him a little," one NBA director of player personnel told me. "You see the tools, but as a sophomore you want him putting it together more on a regular basis. You watch him disappear sometimes and wonder what you're getting."

Arthur came into the season ranked No. 5 in our Top 100 and has slowly dipped to No. 11. He could dip lower if he doesn't get more consistent or he could rise back up the rankings if he has a dominant run in the NCAA Tournament.

It's still too early to tell.

19083.jpg

.J. Augustin, PG, Texas
After Memphis' Derrick Rose, scouts continue to debate who the second best true point guard in the country is. Right now, two sophomores, Augustin and UNC's Ty Lawson, are at the center of the debate.
Augustin is a super-quick point guard with excellent ballhandling and penetration skills and a very good 3-point shot. He draws some comparisons to Steve Nash for his ability to keep his dribble, then find a seam for a perfect pass.

Augustin's size and lack of rebounding are the biggest strikes against him right now. But when you look at his production and what he's doing for Texas, you can see why some scouts see him as a better version of Damon Stoudamire.

Right now Augustin is ranked as the 12th best prospect in the draft.

19034.jpg

Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina
Lawson is one of the quickest guards in the draft. He is a steady floor leader, stays away from mistakes and has become a dependable shooter in the backcourt.
Some scouts feel strongly that Lawson could be a better version of the Bobcats' Raymond Felton. Others aren't nearly as sold on him, saying he's more likely to be a marginal starter to solid backup than a starting point guard in the league.

The fact that he's leading one of the best teams in the country means he's getting a ton of exposure right now. That's been both good and bad for his draft stock.

If he leads North Carolina deep into the tournament, his stock is bound to rise. Otherwise, he's probably somewhere between 10 and 15 in the draft.
[h2]Up and coming[/h2]While the top five sophomores coming into the season have held their positions in the lottery, several others are quickly rising up the charts. Here's a look at five others who could make an impact in the first round.
Marreese Speights, PF/C, Florida
Speights averaged just 6 mpg on last season's championship team, but when he played, he had a surprising impact at the offensive end. This season he has turned into one of the most efficient scorers in the NCAA. He averages 14 ppg, 8 rpg and 1.4 bpg in just 22 mpg. He shoots 64 percent from the floor and has, along with freshman Nick Calathes, been the leader of a Florida team that is surprising a lot of people right now.

Speights has great size and strength and good athleticism for a power forward. He has impressive low-post moves for a sophomore, shows excellent quickness with the ball in the paint and has a good motor. He needs to improve his conditioning and his jump shot, but there's a lot to love about Speights right now. He's got a chance to be a Top 10 pick this year. Currently, he's ranked No. 9 in our Top 100.
JaVale McGee, PF/C, Nevada
McGee is a super-athletic big man who oozes potential. He is already an elite shot-blocker and runs the floor incredibly well for his size. He has some face-the-basket skills, can put the ball on the floor and even shoot the college 3.
He's also very raw and desperately needs to add muscle to his frame if he's going to have any chance of holding his position in the paint. With that said, scouts love his potential. He's a likely late first-rounder if he declares now. Another year of development in college could make him a lottery pick.

Ryan Anderson, PF, Cal
Anderson has turned into a big-time scorer for Cal with a polished inside-outside game that is very tough to stop. He has deep range on his 3-point shot and he's turned himself into an excellent rebounder.

The question about Anderson is his lack of athleticism. Some scouts look at him and see another Troy Murpy -- a solid pro, but not a star. Anderson is a first-round bubble guy right now.

Tyler Smith, F, Tennessee
Smith is off to an excellent start at Tennessee after transferring from Iowa last year. He's been a do-it-all small forward who has excellent athleticism and energy. He doesn't have a great jump shot, but he has just about everything else. Not sure where he falls in the draft right now ... but he's a potential first-round sleeper.

Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
Ellington is one of the best shooters in college basketball. He has deep range on his 3-point shot and has developed a great midrange game as well. He's become a more efficient scorer this season and has been great as the outside threat to compliment Tyler Hansbrough's inside presence.

Ellington's biggest NBA issues have to do with lack of size and inability to finish around the rim. Ellington needs to continue to add strength and find ways to get to the line. He's probably another year away from the NBA right now ... but he would garner looks in the late first round if he declared this year.

Others to watch: Scottie Reynolds, PG, Villanova; Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona; Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn; Sherron Collins, PG, Kansas; Earl Clark, F, Louisville; Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke; Greivis Vasquez, G, Maryland; Robin Lopez, C, Stanford; Raymar Morgan, F, Michigan State; Stanley Robinson, F, UConn; Taj Gibson, F, USC; Paul Harris, G/F, Syracuse

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Right now, two sophomores, Augustin and UNC's Ty Lawson, are at the center of the debate.

Not even a question to me, it's Augustin.

Thabeet is gona continue to play himself into the lottery, imo.

Thanks for the article

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Right now, two sophomores, Augustin and UNC's Ty Lawson, are at the center of the debate.

Not even a question to me, it's Augustin.

Thabeet is gona continue to play himself into the lottery, imo.

Thanks for the article

Like you allen I am not too high on Lawson. I am not really sure if the kid knows how to run the half court set.

I think its tough to gauge the Kansas prospects because the team is pretty unselfish as a whole wherein a different guy seems to step up every night to leadthe team in scoring/production, etc. Kansas is loaded with NBA prospects/talent. Hell Darnell Jackson is playing himself into some 2nd round money this yearand if you watched him the previous 3 years you definitely wouldnt have thought that.

I don't think he can run a half court set....yet. That's why I think they'll lose around the Elite 8 again.

I love Darrell Arthur's game, and like you said it's tough with Kansas' team with so much talent.

What about Danny Green does he have late first round potential or is he destined for 2nd round/overseas career?
Bill Walker has been balling I think he's a better player than Mayo more upside.
Jai Lucas is a better player than I thought what are the chances of him making the league after a full 4 year career, I think he has the speed and pedigree toget drafted

Danny Green won't sniff the first round...

Bill Walker is a Forward...OJ is a guard...I don't see the comparison

what about Nick Callathes, i doubt he'll leave...he's a little ont he stiff side but i think he'd be pretty good in the league if he gets a lil stronger

is this a stretch?

bwa2f2uf.jpg

James Gist will not be drafted....if anything he's a LATE 2nd rounder....look at the trouble Terrence Morris had in JUST making the 2nd round. Gist wastedaway in College Park. He's a 1st round talent, but was one of the most inconsistent players that ever came through under Gary Williams.

laugh.gif
if you wanna but from what Ive seen so far this season, Devan Downey is one of the top 5 Point Guards in the country, I wonder what he'd be able topull off with a decent supporting cast

I wonder if he gets a look, if he declares early

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

what about Nick Callathes, i doubt he'll leave...he's a little ont he stiff side but i think he'd be pretty good in the league if he gets a lil stronger

is this a stretch?

bwa2f2uf.jpg

James Gist will not be drafted....if anything he's a LATE 2nd rounder....look at the trouble Terrence Morris had in JUST making the 2nd round. Gist wasted away in College Park. He's a 1st round talent, but was one of the most inconsistent players that ever came through under Gary Williams.
Matt Walsh wasn't a point guard...let alone a natural...BIG point guard. Calathes is getting that first round money guaranteed.

Gist isnt a first round talent either. 6-7 power forwards aren't coveted around the league. He's got the athleticism to play the 3 but he can'tcreate his own shot, shoot consistently, or defend on the wing. I watched PEJR and Deron Washington eat James Gist lunch this summer at the Kenner League...andneither of them are first round talents

James Gist is athletic, outside of that, I don't see anything NBA caliber about his game

Gunna, I think he just seems like a 2nd round guy. His size obviously hurts

Back
Top Bottom