+++ Need tech junkie opinions for skype on mobile tablet +++

i know there are some serious tech junkies out there and i need an opinion and review, im in uni (for next 3 years at the least) so theres almost always wifiavailable and was thinkin bout gettin the nokia n810 wimax (havent read any reviews bout using it in canada) and using skype to make all my calls, in the longrun i would save more money then payin rape mobile prices however i could see it becoming a hassle if wifi is not readily available, that being said with thenew blackberry storm coming out i might just wait it out and grab that. does making skype calls use lots of bandwidth?

what i need an opinion on is do you think it would be worth it to get the nokia and work out the skype seeing as a lot of places do have wifi now (could alsoget another phone for clubbing etc as i probably wouldnt bring this out) and if you do currently have a smart phone with wifi how often and frequently doyou/can you access internet in the downtown area, or should i just wait it out for the blackberry storm and just have it all in one?

thanks

aswell does sound quality get affected by wifi quality? i know video does but iv never really had an issue with sound over the net.

I have a nokia N82, If you connect it to wifi, it will stay connected until you exit the application. You can also set intervals to scan the area for networksor you can scan it manually. It comes with a internet telephony application and you can get 3rd party apps for it (like Skype).

As for Wifi quality/bandwith and voip sound quality, I haven't used voip, so I can't comment on this one.

"what i need an opinion on is do you think it would be worth it to get the nokia and work out the skype seeing as a lot of places do have wifi now (couldalso get another phone for clubbing etc as i probably wouldnt bring this out)"

If I were you, I'd get an all-in-one phone.

ya but the issue i have with the storm is the mobile plan price i would have to pay, i checked skype rates they're only like 3 dollars a month to callanyone on any type of line in US/CANADA and like not even 15 bucks for worldwide use.

I wouldn't rely on skype on wi fi. When my bandwidth is being saturated by Torrents or wahtever (it's okay now - I used QoS to give Skype priority withmy router), the call quality can get choppy and messed - and that's with an ethernet (wired)connection directly to the router. At home when I'm usingmy laptop far from our router, my Skype quality has been Okay at best. Sometimes it's crystal, but it gets poorer - so yes, I've found sound quality isaffected by WiFi quality.

The only places I'm at where WiFi is readily available is on campus. Everyelse I am the WiFi's been locked or you gotta pay.

I know your main issues are cost of the plan, but I wouldn't do what you're sayin if I were you.I'd just wait for the storm (do you want rogers ortelus?) and disable data and use the WiFi with that....if the Storm has WiFi.

storm does have wifi but but after reading the storm thread i got a bit disappointed, i will have to try it out myself.

bah not glad to hear bout the sound quality tho, as for wifi im stuck on campus for the next 3+ years anyways an can just grab another phone for when i go out.

appreciate the feedback tho

Back
Top Bottom