NEW Player Exclusive/Promo Thread!

this is easily the most interesting thread on all of niketalk. you guys demonstrate some real knowledge and passion in here. keep up the good stuff

ps: "where's u guys gettin all dese PE's fromm??"
tongue.gif

Great thread. This post in particular has me intrigued. For some reason, I am incredibly interested in PEs, but especially when this a modification of a shoe. Jordan cleats, for example. T21D: can you go a little more in depth with the differences? I can't quite see the pj on the rafas- it looks like a real air max unit to me. Thanks!
Originally Posted by T21D

To add some variety to this post other than basketball (which I love). Collecting PE's is a subculture in itself, but tennis is even more so. A brief summary w/ Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer is that their shoes are nowhere near the same as ther GR release other than the cw's. e.g. Rafa's gr version has max air on the back and seamless tongue. But in reality, his Max Air is PJ (paint jobbed- tennis nerd term) and he likes the SkateBoard thick tongue.
401125093.jpg

Originally Posted by an808caucASIAN

Great thread. This post in particular has me intrigued. For some reason, I am incredibly interested in PEs, but especially when this a modification of a shoe. Jordan cleats, for example. T21D: can you go a little more in depth with the differences? I can't quite see the pj on the rafas- it looks like a real air max unit to me. Thanks!
Originally Posted by T21D

To add some variety to this post other than basketball (which I love). Collecting PE's is a subculture in itself, but tennis is even more so. A brief summary w/ Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer is that their shoes are nowhere near the same as ther GR release other than the cw's. e.g. Rafa's gr version has max air on the back and seamless tongue. But in reality, his Max Air is PJ (paint jobbed- tennis nerd term) and he likes the SkateBoard thick tongue.

Obviously, Fred will have more details, by from what I know...
Both Rafa and Fed have customized kicks.  Maybe they couldn't get used to the newer models, but for years, we've seen them wear old models but with the current-colorway of the new model.
For example... at the Australian Open 2009. 

First off, a bit of background.

Rafa wore these in 2008... the Breathe Cage 2's.

Nike_Air_Max_Bre_49de30131439d.jpg

He got his own line in 2009, called the CourtBallistec 1.3 and was supposed to wear them at the Australian Open 2009.

air-max-courtballistec-1-3-01.jpg

rafael_nadal_issued_courtballistec_australian_open_shoes_1.jpg

However, probably due to him not getting the fit just right, he opted to wear the Cage 2's, but modified with his AusOpen colorway... teal, volt, black, white.

As you can see, it's the Cage 2's, but in a different colorway, which was never available to the public.

White during the day and black for his night-matches.

rafael_nadal_issued_shoes_1.jpg

rafael-nadal-aussie09shoes.jpg

Later that year, at the French Open 2009, he eventually switched to the Ballistec 1.3's.

1000x.jpg

Since then, he's been quite good with changing to the latest model, inline with the public release.  

Even so, his PE's were still slightly different, with changes to the air bag, a bigger and longer tongue as well as different materials... probably to save weight as he doesn't need heavier rubber-compounds for the durability.

This is his PE CourtBallistec 2.3 at the US Open 2010

1000x.jpg

VS the GR... Notice the much-smaller tongue

Nike-Mens-Air-Max-Courtballistec-23-Tennis-Shoes.jpg

In 2011, he wore the Ballistec 3.3's.

PE ~ Has the big tongue, but also notice the silver heel-area.  The PE's used a soft material (probably to save weight and improve the fit), while the GR's used a plastic-heel-cup.

1000x.jpg

GR

Nike-Air-Max-Court-Ballistec-3.3-01.jpg

rafael-nadal-nike-court-ballistic-blue-white-5.jpg

Anyway, I'll talk about Fed's some other time... 
laugh.gif

SinnerP: thanks for going further in depth. I do know just a few things about fed's shoes from the tennis thread over in Nike. Of course, I would like to be educated with all of your pics in here, too!

As for the PE cleats, it's cool to see the different hybrids. Are the other bball PEs that have player specific modifications like in tennis? An early example would be MJ's original 1s, with the ankle strap. And Pippen's zoom Pippen 1s. Any others recently?

Love this thread. Check it daily, only wish I had something to contribute! (anybody have spare bibby's lying around?)

Awesome observations SinnerP. I would LOVE to find some of those pairs. So interesting to me with the different design variations to tailor to the athlete wearing them!

those mitch richmond 10s on the 1st page are just
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

and those 7s on page 24 are just.. i dont even know what to say. FIRE

Awesome wizards pic there seatownballa. I'm curious as to what else you've got in your collection. I'd even be happy with teaser pics!

Originally Posted by an808caucASIAN

SinnerP: thanks for going further in depth. I do know just a few things about fed's shoes from the tennis thread over in Nike. Of course, I would like to be educated with all of your pics in here, too!
baby dill & an808caucASIAN ~ No problem! Incidentally, I don't have either Rafa or Fed's kicks... Don't really like the way they fit.  
Anyway, Fed's PE's are even more different from the GR's as he supposedly has a super-wide foot.  And from 2009-2011, he's also been wearing the same model... the Zoom Vapor 6's, despite Nike making a Vapor 7, 8 and now, the 9's.

First off, with the GR's.

Vapor 5

Vapor 6

Roger-Federer-Shoe-Day.jpeg

Lunarlite Vapor Tour AKA Vapor 7

afed2.jpg

Vapor 8

NMLV8TW-1.jpg

Vapor 9 (current model)

nike-zoom-vapor-9-tour-0.jpg

Here are Fed's PE's over the past few years...

1a9aca97accca8767f5b2302d0460eb7-getty-95893827mh021_u_s_open_day_.jpg

Roger+Federer+U+S+Open+Day+4+Flw3Zu05F9ol.jpg

In 2011

1000x.jpg

1000x.jpg

1000x.jpg

x1000.jpg

As you can tell, it's basically the same shoe, the Vapor 6's, but with different colorways to match his outfit.  Differences from the GR's include a wider forefoot, a real-carbon shank plate, a different outsole pattern for hardcourts and a seemingly-fabric toeguard (GR's used an XDR toeguard for durability, which Fed obviously didn't need cuz he had new shoes on all the time).  

In 2012, he finally wore the "current model", which was the Vapor 9's.

1000x.jpg

1000x.jpg

Again, the differences include the outsole (Notice the slight outrigger "wedge"), a wider forefoot, carbon shank plate and a softer toeguard. 

Ill keep it going!

Randy Foye Zoom hustle set

2z71kxv.jpg

2094yf5.jpg

I love the laces on these, and the mettalic is really nice on these!

[
ambngh.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics!

Originally Posted by who got better kickz then me 22

Looks like this thread is just bout comming to an end the thread was a blast from the past and present!
Although it has slowed down a bit, let's try to keep this going everybody! Here's one of my favorite Promo pairs! 
pimp.gif

-Jermaine

Originally Posted by Phase2x

Originally Posted by who got better kickz then me 22

Looks like this thread is just bout comming to an end the thread was a blast from the past and present!
Although it has slowed down a bit, let's try to keep this going everybody! Here's one of my favorite Promo pairs! 
pimp.gif

-Jermaine
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 We need more pics ASAP

The Jackies.....my goodness, the Jackies.....I've been looking for the white or gray cleats for a minute. Many thanks.

cleatsf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom