New Season Thread Made, Move on Over :)

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Originally Posted by WitnessMyCalm21

Just curious..

Would Kobe be willing to renegotiate his contract? Dude is towards the end of his career and obviously wants to win one more. With him doing so and taking a cut .. im sure theyd have many more options in addition to trading Bynum and/or Pau...

If Kobe is smart. He'd oblige. Dude knows he has a max of 3 yrs left in him. Why not?
That's the only way this team has a shot.

He can't..   There's a legitimate reason for it, which I agree with. If Player X joins a team with Player Y, and recently signed Player Z. All at near max contracts. They lose, and decided they need help. So they all take a $5million paycut, and have the ability to sign a close to max level player, and then that player can take a pay cut.. See how that would be unfair to a competitive balance, and cheapen the point of strategically putting together a championship team.

Lakers can win a title without Kobe having to take a paycut, yes it would be nice if he could cut his salary in half, but we could put together a great team with a better chance of winning than every other team without Kobe taking a paycut.. Or having to be unrealistic about what you can do.. 

Thanks for everything Pau!!
Come back Lamar ...after what you did in Dallas no other team wants you or would trade for you anymore
laugh.gif

Please keep Metta he's the only one that actually plays decent 1 on 1 defense.

Sessions had a great first impression then disappeared so yeah we need a PG again.

Nick Young tho... Ehhh... Potential, but I'm not really sold on him.. I also think using the full mini-MLE (which is what we'd use) is the wrong choice when you can use it on better options..

Thinking about your "future" < Winning Now.. Especially when your window is closing... I'd rather win 1 or 2 in the next 3 years, and fade into a half decade of irrelevance than planning for the future by sacrificing today.

In his exit interview, Metta World Peace was asked about coach Mike Brown.

Compared to Phil Jackson, he said, it was a "drastic change."

But then World Peace went to some trouble, apparently to make clear he was not blaming his coach for the Lakers' playoff departure.

"Mike wasn't out there guarding Kevin [Durant]," he explains. "That was me. Kevin scored on me. Mike didn't miss that 3-point shot. I missed it. Mike didn't come into camp out of shape."

Then he paused.

"Wait ... he did come in out of shape. Mike is a fat #!#."

roll.gif

I'm not even a Laker's fan obviously and even I was upset at Bynum that he was cooking Muhammed, but Muhammed was coming right back at him, driving, pump faking and dunking and %+%$
laugh.gif
Nazr is like 50
laugh.gif
Maybe you guys can get Josh Smith for Pau. He wants out of ATL. Sessions definitely was overrated. Yea he is a pretty good athlete and can get into the paint, but only until the defense realizes he can't shoot worth %+%$ and doesn't close out on him anymore and just gives him a decent cushion which was the adjustment OKC made on him last night.

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

In his exit interview, Metta World Peace was asked about coach Mike Brown.

Compared to Phil Jackson, he said, it was a "drastic change."

But then World Peace went to some trouble, apparently to make clear he was not blaming his coach for the Lakers' playoff departure.

"Mike wasn't out there guarding Kevin [Durant]," he explains. "That was me. Kevin scored on me. Mike didn't miss that 3-point shot. I missed it. Mike didn't come into camp out of shape."

Then he paused.

"Wait ... he did come in out of shape. Mike is a fat #!#."

roll.gif

I love MWP.
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WitnessMyCalm21

Just curious..

Would Kobe be willing to renegotiate his contract? Dude is towards the end of his career and obviously wants to win one more. With him doing so and taking a cut .. im sure theyd have many more options in addition to trading Bynum and/or Pau...

If Kobe is smart. He'd oblige. Dude knows he has a max of 3 yrs left in him. Why not?
This has already been explained.
It can't be done because of how the current CBA is setup.The NBA Players Association fought hard for it so that current player contracts cannot re negotiated.

This isn't the NFL or MLB.

Only thing that the Lakers can do is either amnesty Kobe or when his contract is up in the summer of 2014 is hope Kobe is willing to take a lesser contract. Which I seriously doubt he will  ever accept.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

Restructuring his deal doesn't mean pay cut

What part are you guys not getting that restructuring Kobe's current contract cannot be DONE

MR J 858:

What part are you guys not getting that restructuring Kobe's current contract cannot be DONE
When it comes to the Lakers offseason possibilities in a Lakers offseason thread:

impossible_nothing.jpg

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Didnt see your post above mine, I was just responding to people on previous pages who were equating pay cut with restructuring
Looks like we're stuck with his contract, but at least he produces

Just heard Chris Broussard say that Pau will be the player the Lakers shop around the most.

Means everyone not named Pau will be the player we shop around the most.

Could this dude CHRIS PALMER be any more vague with his tweets? What kind of journalism is this? Is that supposed to be ground breaking information?

"Hearing that Harden could possibly end up in Los Angeles someday in the future"

"It's possible that Ray Allen could want to play for the Lakers when he becomes a free agent."

"My sources tell me that Pau Gasol could be traded this off season"

OH. $%%!@%*. RLY!? 
indifferent.gif

Most Captain Obvious Journalism I Have Ever Seen. 
eyes.gif

Sessions:
Scott Howard-Cooper: Ramon Sessions said no decision on whether to pick up his 2012-13 option or become a free agent, but he "definitely" hopes to stay a Laker

When the Lakers traded for Ramon Sessions, Mitch Kupchak said the plan was for Sessions to be here for more than the rest of the season. Sessions said he wants to stay with the team. “Definitely hope to be here,

But the best contract in the NBA is the rookie contract. That's what we need with Kobe taking up half the salary.
I try my hardest to trade for a top pick.

sl5spk.jpg

Lakers get: Josh Smith, Zaza Pachulia and Chase Budinger
Rockets get: Pau Gasol and Steve Blake
Hawks get: Kevin Martin, Samuel Dalembert, #14 pick

Smith isn't as skilled or smart as Gasol, but he's more athletic, younger (26 years old) and less expensive ($12.4 million next season). Pachulia is a good backup center, who can start in a pinch and be serviceable. I would view Pachulia as a good insurance policy in case the Lakers cannot re-sign Jordan Hill. Budinger is young, athletic and shot 40% from three this past season. He's the prototype wing to have to match up against the Oklahoma City Thunder's wing players. Short term, this trade would save them about $8 million when you take into account the luxury tax next season. Long term, I always thought the plan for the Lakers was to wait until 2014 when everyone's contracts expire, but now I feel that 2013 may be the smarter bet given Kobe Bryant's advance age and desire for a championship. All three players received in this trade are free agents at the end of next season. If the Lakers were to execute this trade, Bryant could be the only player on the books for the 2013-2014 season at $30.4 million (
eek.gif
sick.gif
) with the help of the amnesty clause on Metta World Peace. That means the Lakers could be in play for Chris Paul or Dwight Howard next summer.
eyes.gif

Rockets get their star player in Gasol. Gasol has declined but he can still be an All Star caliber player. Run the offense through him in the low post and he will put up numbers. Gasol would start at center, with Luis Scola next to him at power forward. Gasol and the rest of the role players the Rockets should be a playoff team next season. With Goran Dragic entering free agency, the Rockets get Blake to be the backup point guard. They can either re-sign Dragic and trade away Kyle Lowry, or they can let Dragic walk and go with a Lowry-Blake combo. It should also be noted the Rockets have cap space this summer to add a player or two to help them for a playoff run.

Hawks shake things up by trading away Smith. Martin would shift Joe Johnson to small forward. Martin had an injury plagued year, but I think he can bounce back to his usual efficient self. Trading for Dalembert shifts Al Horford to his more natural power forward position. Getting the first round pick from the Rockets helps give the Hawks incentive since Martin and Dalembert are both free agents after next season. A big problem with this trade is the Hawks would end up paying more money afterward, which is something they usually try to avoid. I believe substituting a newly re-signed Courtney Lee instead of Kevin Martin would still work, especially since he would be less expensive per year and is younger.
Yeah, I put some thought into this trade.
laugh.gif

Let me know what you think.

why would the Hawks trade Josh Smith coming off his best season, for Kevin Martin and Dalembert, when they already have Joe Johnson.

I would try to get Williams and Beasley from MIN or Bosh from MIA if you have to trade Gasol.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

But the best contract in the NBA is the rookie contract. That's what we need with Kobe taking up half the salary.

If only Kobe would play for free.. Then we'd make some moves
roll.gif

i'd say go after deron williams.. stephen a. smith said perhaps deron williams and brook lopez for pau.. but i'd get rid of bynum.. for howard.. then you have a strong strong team. williams, kobe, howard, lopez.. and the lakers should keep jordan hill..

Back
Top Bottom