New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Insane amount of OL has gone in round 2….I ‘m targeting creed for round 3….if giants don’t see value of what’s left for OL in round 3 I wouldnt mind it one bit to draft Mond or Mills……..some think Mond is very legit….

Mel
i
New York Giants: B+
Top needs: OLB, OL, WR

The talk of this Giants draft is all about general manager Dave Gettleman -- "Trader Dave" -- trading down not once but twice, marking the first time he has traded down in his nine drafts as a general manager. It's pretty amazing. Gettleman got an extremely valuable 2022 first-rounder from the Bears in the deal that saw the Giants drop nine spots in Round 1. This team is still rebuilding and Gettleman is under pressure, so give him credit for thinking long-term and seeing the bigger picture. If the bottom falls out for Chicago in 2021 -- you never know in the NFL because of injuries -- this could be one of the deals of the draft.

I liked all of the Giants' top three picks. Kadarius Toney (20) is a speedy slot target who will make life easier for quarterback Daniel Jones, who needs to take the next step in Year 3. (Urban Meyer has already said that the Jags were going to take Toney at No. 25.) Jones has solid weapons around him now -- there's no way they will average a league-low 3.0 yards after catch again -- though the offensive line is still mediocre. Edge rusher Azeez Ojulari (50) is a perfect fit for Patrick Graham's 3-4 defense, and New York got value in taking him in the middle of Round 2. There was some first-round buzz around Ojulari leading up to the draft. Cornerback Aaron Robinson (71) began his career at Alabama and flashed last season at UCF.

New York only had three picks on Day 3, and Elerson Smith (116) was my favorite of the trip. He's 6-foot-6 and had 14 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss in 2019, though he's still a work in progress. The picks "Trader Dave" added -- particularly that 2022 first-roudner -- and the value he got with his top three picks makes this a solid haul.

The ringer, Danny Kelly
New York Giants
WR Kadarius Toney, Florida (Round 1, Pick 20)
EDGE Azeez Ojulari, Georgia (Round 2, Pick 50)
CB Aaron Robinson, UCF (Round 3, Pick 71)
EDGE Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa (Round 4, Pick 116)
RB Gary Brightwell, Arizona (Round 6, Pick 196)
CB Rodarius Williams, Oklahoma State (Round 6, Pick 201)

I didn’t love the Toney pick in the first round―he’s a raw route runner who freelances too often and may need some time to adapt to the NFL―but there’s no doubt he brings a dynamic playmaking element to this offense that no other Giants receiver can. The team’s next two selections, Ojulari and Robinson, were both home-run picks; Ojulari was the 16th-ranked player on my board, and fell to the second round largely because of concerns over knee and ankle injuries. Add in that GM Dave Gettleman finally traded back, and all in all this was a great weekend for the Giants.

Grade: A

NFL.com

Chad Reuter

Grade
A

New York Giants

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: A+
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: The Giants added another excellent receiver to their corps in Toney after trading down nine spots and acquiring first- and fourth-round picks from the Bears next year, as well as a fifth-rounder in this draft. You can’t ask for much more than that. GM Dave Gettleman took a calculated risk on the former Bulldog, anticipating Ojulari's medical issues will not overshadow his talent as a rusher and run defender. Robinson could have easily been off the board 20 spots earlier.

Smith gives the Giants another long pass rusher to complement Ojulari. Brightwell displays quickness, but he must tighten up his ball security to become a reliable backup to Saquon Barkley. Williams isn’t an elite athlete, but Greedy’s brother is a feisty outside defender who could have been picked two rounds earlier.

SI
CONOR ORR
While you could argue the merits of Kadarius Toney and whether he was worth a first-round pick, what Dave Gettleman was able to do in this draft, accumulating resources for a much stronger 2022 draft and securing the likes of Azeez Ojulari in the second round, should be lauded.

Kevin Seifert over at ESPN.com called it noble, given that there is no certainty that Gettleman will be around to utilize those picks given his track record with the Giantsleading up to this draft. Still, this was an exercise in preparedness and the Giants managed to check off one of their biggest needs (and an ancillary need with high upside) in the first two picks.

It wouldn’t be a Giants draft without Gettleman falling in full-bloom love at the Senior Bowl. Elerson Smith is a middle-round selection to watch, as he could find himself a quick favorite of defensive coordinator Patrick Graham.

GRADE: B+

PFF
Day 1: Kadarius Toney is still learning to play wide receiver, but his development in 2020 was impressive to watch if you cued up his tape chronologically. Plus, there is no more electrifying playmaker in this draft. Toney is a tackle-breaking machine, and while he was primarily a slot receiver in college, he has the size and moves to develop into more than that at the next level.

Day 2: Ojulari could have easily been drafted in the first round, making this selection one of the better values so far in Round 2. He is one of the more advanced pass rushers in this class technically and has an impressive first step off the edge. It helped lead to a 91.7 PFF pass-rushing grade this past season at Georgia. Ojulari also happens to fill a clear area of need for the Giants, whose top four pressure leaders were all interior defenders in 2020.

The Giants’ secondary was already in a good spot entering the 2021 NFL Draft. By adding Robinson, potentially to man the slot, New York only improves its outlook. Robinson isn’t your prototypical slot cornerback. He has the size and press experience to potentially play outside. He also picked up 80.0-plus run-defense grades in each of the past two seasons at UCF. New York adds another talented piece to its secondary.

Day 3: Williams projects as a man-to-man cornerback for the Giants. Although he had issues tracking the ball and getting his hands on passes, he’s a patient player and offers a skill set that is needed in the NFL. Williams needs to gain some strength but this is an intriguing pick.

Draft Grade: B+

Last edited:
Hope they stay healthy…..losing a talent like Barkley doesn’t just hurt rush game, hurts passing game as well. His rookie year needs to be the floor for him in 21

Golladay replacing a over the hill Tate who no team has signed thus far is big upgrade, if he is healthy….

Shep, maybe this will be the year he is healthy, might be year too late for him….his snaps per game are going to go down with addition of toney

I like slayton

Engram enjoy your last year here, with all these WRs I don’t think we are running 2 TE sets much…..some first downs and 3rd shorts….but not much, I see engram playing half snaps at most by week 4….dropping game ending catch again? He could be cut next day

Hope they stay healthy…..losing a talent like Barkley doesn’t just hurt rush game, hurts passing game as well. His rookie year needs to be the floor for him in 21

Golladay replacing a over the hill Tate who no team has signed thus far is big upgrade, if he is healthy….

Shep, maybe this will be the year he is healthy, might be year too late for him….his snaps per game are going to go down with addition of toney

I like slayton

Engram enjoy your last year here, with all these WRs I don’t think we are running 2 TE sets much…..some first downs and 3rd shorts….but not much, I see engram playing half snaps at most by week 4….dropping game ending catch again? He could be cut next day
Engram last year and possibly Sheppard if he doesn’t ball

Yea I think shep would need to really outshine the rookie to be here…….also if Barkley does show he is worth keeping, new contract for him……will Hernandez new contract for him if he finally plays avg or better…..engram….with all this talent and Barkley back I doubt he gets the stats…..breakout takes leap? No chance….this is the player he is….free agent next year….def won’t be back……
Our D is pretty set, Peppers is only free agent

Bears started off 3-0 last season ended season 8-8, one of those wins came against us….they could easily be a 6 win team next year….hopefully!

I ‘m always positive about giants, but I really feel this team has the best talent on paper I have seen in many years here….if healthy and the OLine gets to that avg level this is going to be for sure the best talent we had here in a long time…..doesn’t mean anything if Danny boy can’t put it together

Last edited:
Yeah Danny is the factor ... and I can see him failing more than producing ..... wonder if arod would play for the giants lol

Broncos, raiders? Blah I’d rather play for giants if I was him…..really if hes smart he stays in GB a year and see how the giants and dolphins do with their young QBs……and really its the smart play his line always have pro bowl player or 2….stud WR, RB is good…..he doesn’t have many chances to win the super bowl left….GB is his best bet and please beat bears twice mr Rodgers

Back to Toney…
Urban Meyer and Packers both were targeting Toney in the 20s……some in media claimed the giants reached for him at 20 could have been there in round 2…..seems that this was another case of TV experts/sofa fans thinking they know more then the men who get paid to do the picking

Last edited:
They better start off strong, seems we have started off 1-6 for like 5 years in a row….this schedule does look like finally it will set us up with chance to have winning record after 4-5 games which will be key

Not happy ending season 4/6 on road, 1 back to back home games and 3 times back to back road games. If you have to face the 2 teams that played in the super bowl, its great to get them both at home…..oh no my bad we get them on the road….ugh

Bears have tough schedule zero back to back home games, start on road, end on road…not counting packers…they face 6 playoff teams, 5 on the road..

Never heard of this guy or stats explained this way but I ‘m going to roll with Nick Shook.
Def think DJ gets time this year gonna see some points put up for sure.

Rank

Daniel Jones
New York Giants · QB
Deep attempts: 19-of-39, 636 yards, 5:0 TD-to-INT ratio, 134.3 passer rating
Comp: 48.7%
xComp: 33.9%
CPOE: +14.8%

Giants fans looking for proof that Jones can become the franchise QB he was drafted to be are getting a generous helping with this choice. Sure, it's a surprise to everyone to see him No. 1, but the numbers don't lie. Jones went deep just 39 times but was very effective when doing so, and his year-to-year improvement is incredibly encouraging. After posting a CPOE of -4.9 percent in 2019, Jones took a massive leap in 2020 to +14.8 percent, an improvement of +19.7 percentage points, the largest in the entire league from 2019 to 2020. It seems head coach Joe Judge's arrival did more than just turn the Giants into a scrappy bunch -- it also elevated Jones' effectiveness downfield. His passer rating on deep throws was the highest in the league at 134.3, and his completion percentage on such attempts (48.7) was the fourth-highest mark. Jones still has to prove he has what it takes to help the team be a consistent winner, but if he remains on this trajectory, we might not be spending much more of our future days debating his viability.
Follow Nick Shook on Twitter.

DJ emerges from witness protection today…..not happy about his lack of playing….basically its 2 quarters today then no game Time until 2 weeks later…….for a 3rd year player practice is not enough….PRACTICE?! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

GAME DAY!! BACK TO WINNING STARTS TODAY!!

Daniel Jones time is now or never to be a above avg QB. I believe he has the goods!

His flaw in his game is pocket awareness. Other than that he has all the tenant to be good QB in this league. Easy fix? No, I can def see the haters being right that he never overcomes it….reason Tom Brady is who he is, amazing awareness/decision making. I def Think he improved slightly from year 1 to year 2 in that regard….

Allen was question mark last year, will he have the accuracy to be above avg QB….he balled out and now is MVP candidate. He IMPROVED. Same as Baker did after his down year 2, like Brees did after his crappy 3 seasons as starter….bunch of other QBs that sucked after 2nd, 3rd seasons then went on to have good careers. QBs CAN improve after 2-3 years in the NFL, it has happened folks.

Takes talent to win in this league as a QB. Diggs was big reason why josh Allen took leap. Daniel Jones now has Barkley back….with Barkley on the field his QB rating is 92. Got a few other weapons as well. Oh the #1 WR he had last season? Golden Tate? Out the league….

This is the first season since college that DJ has had same playbook back to back seasons.

Fumbles Lost: 2 less than Derrick Carr, 2 more than Russell Wilson same number lost as Josh Allen. So if he played same number of games as Russell Wilson and had same # of fumbles, does he have fumbling problem? DJ year 2 no talent, Russ year 7 tons more….

He has reduced his fumbles from year 1 to year 2 by 40%, if he just cuts down by 2 in year 3 where RUSSELL WILSON WAS last year, He will be just right where he needs to be as a young QB in this league. Dak had half as many fumbles lost in 5 games as DJ had. One more thing on fumbles, imo 50% of them are on the oline/RB and sometimes the D just makes a great play.

LETS GO!!!

Ugly loss. Felt very confident about this game. Mainly our D vs their O. But expected more than 7 points for sure.. I know their D is not same as last year but we need to punch it in.

DJ fumble was horrible. It’s those fumbles that are killer. If his tackle gets lit up and he gets hit not feeling pressure in time and fumbling thats on the oLine but when you run 7 yards and do your best to hold on to the ball and fumble thats a back breaker and it did so yesterday. We score TD on that drive and we got a ball game.

Shame because I thought he looked way more comfortable in pocket as passer. We moved the ball well with no help from the run game. They had ball 11 more mins than us. And would have been worse had we not held it more in garbage time while their RB breaks 70 runs.

Also for Garrett maybe don’t hand to WR 7 yards behind line to toney right in front of von miller. Fyi

Can’t go 0-2. Therefore we will win Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom