New York or Boston

Not trying to start a discussion of which city is better overall, I want to know which city will be best for me given the following info

-Originally from CA but live in Atlanta (4th year here, 1st time living outside of Cali)
- I'll be single, 28, and making ~50K (don't care about saving money at this stage as it is short term)
- I'll be working ~60 hours a week
- I will know few or zero people in either city outside of work
- In Boston I'd be working in the West End area, In NYC I'd be working in Manhattan near First and 33rd
- If possible I'd want to live in a neighborhood with young professionals with good bars and restaurants close by
- I'll be living there for a minimum of 4 years

I haven't spent significant time in either city and don't know much about either. Even with roommates is it still not feasible to live in Manhattan on that salary?

nyc. you could live in the city but I think you should look for a place in either queens or bk.

I always
laugh.gif
when I hear "young professionals"

I live next to Boston, and I say NYC by FAR.

Boston has nowhere near the environment or beauty New York City has. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world, Boston is just meh.

I could run off a huge list of why NYC>Boston but I'm too lazy. Trust me, it's much better.

Originally Posted by scshift

I live next to Boston, and I say NYC by FAR.

Boston has nowhere near the environment or beauty New York City has. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world, Boston is just meh.

I could run off a huge list of why NYC>Boston but I'm too lazy. Trust me, it's much better.

Trader!! Blasphemy!! 
laugh.gif

But I agree with scshift.. I'm from outside of Boston as well, and I'd rather be in NYC. 
ohwell.gif

from and currently in nyc, but looking to move to boston for work. nyc > boston, although you could do worse than boston (philadelphia
sick.gif
)...got lots of friends in boston so i go there a lot. boston is w.e honestly..nyc is just so much more of an experience. too many spots in nyc to eat and drink. mind you, nyc is more than just manhattan.

cost wise, boston is somewhat cheaper i'd say...maybe scshift can cosign this
nerd.gif

but nightlife wise, you can't beat nyc. from experience. fyi boston is one of those cities that closes around 2am (food drink and subway)...

if you choose boston, certain areas are great for young prof...northeastern area, back bay, sommerville , cambridge to name a few. cost wise you prolly would find the best deal in sommerville.

nyc> queens id say astoria, LIC...brooklyn is williamsburg area..bronx no, staten island no. manhattan is ideal i guess but $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

...also nyc has better women
grin.gif

Originally Posted by youngdoc

Not trying to start a discussion of which city is better overall, I want to know which city will be best for me given the following info

-Originally from CA but live in Atlanta (4th year here, 1st time living outside of Cali)
- I'll be single, 28, and making ~50K (don't care about saving money at this stage as it is short term)
- In Boston I'd be working in the West End area, In NYC I'd be working in Manhattan near First and 33rd
- If possible I'd want to live in a neighborhood with young professionals with good bars and restaurants close by

I haven't spent significant time in either city and don't know much about either. Even with roommates is it still not feasible to live in Manhattan on that salary?
Do you still want to be rooming at 28? However, it still may be feasible in Manhattan, there are lots of neighborhoods to choose from. Like others mentioned, try looking into other boroughs if planning on making the move to NYC, it's very easy to get around the city.

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Trader!! Blasphemy!! 
laugh.gif

But I agree with scshift.. I'm from outside of Boston as well, and I'd rather be in NYC. 
ohwell.gif

Only things Boston has on NYC is it's cheaper to live in (only compared to Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn are more affordable than Boston - Boston is actually ridiculously expensive now that I think about it.

That, and supposedly it's a good place for "young professionals" and entrepreneurs but I feel like there's young professionals open to entrepreneurial ideas in every major city, and NYC is a major communication hub.

So actually, there really isn't much in Boston.

scshift, I always that you lived in the bay.Back on topic, a lot of my friends went to college in the east-coast and they would always tell me that Boston is fun as far as the college and bar scene and that's about it.

Originally Posted by useref15

The only place worse then Boston is Philadelphia.

NYC>>>>>>>>

You're the second person to say that in this thread and I have to ask why you say that? I could understand the comments about how sometimes people from Philly look mean often but I think Center City offers a lot in terms of shopping, restaurants, night life and Old City is minutes away with just as much to do. Their public transportation system is also pretty efficient so it's easy to get around. Obviously it's no NYC but there are some nice aspects of it.

Originally Posted by AceMaster193

Originally Posted by youngdoc

Do you still want to be rooming at 28? However, it still may be feasible in Manhattan, there are lots of neighborhoods to choose from. Like others mentioned, try looking into other boroughs if planning on making the move to NYC, it's very easy to get around the city.
Not necessarily but I wouldn't mind doing it if 1 or 2 my close friends end up there as well. I honestly know little about NYC and nothing about the other boroughs.

Boston is nice, but nothing special. I stayed there for a summer interning at a law firm, and there's nothing relevant to the average young professional that sets it apart from other large metropolitan areas. (i.e Dallas, Washington DC, San Fran, etc.)

Meanwhile, NYC is a global hub, and a commercial/cultural center of the world, comparable only to places like London and Tokyo. The sheer number of things to do, and the diversity of the population are just two of my favorite aspects of the city. So really, not much of a debate in my opinion.

Good luck on the move, and congrats on the job offers.

Everybody who dont like in boston always got something to say how "bad" it is smh...boston is sort of a mini NYC, id go with boston cause im bias cause I live here and because its a bit smaller, to say the least

Boston: best history, best schools , best hospitals , best sports environment.

NYC needs no introduction . NYC > Boston obviiously but Boston has its upsides.

To those living in the suburbs commenting on the culture of Boston, plz stop
laugh.gif

Also FTR theres nowhere else d rather live. It's just not really comparable to NYC. They're only 4ish hours apart by car anyway..

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Trader!! Blasphemy!! 
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

Only things Boston has on NYC is it's cheaper to live in (only compared to Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn are more affordable than Boston - Boston is actually ridiculously expensive now that I think about it.

That, and supposedly it's a good place for "young professionals" and entrepreneurs but I feel like there's young professionals open to entrepreneurial ideas in every major city, and NYC is a major communication hub.

So actually, there really isn't much in Boston.

There really isn't much in Boston? Aren't you the dude who made the thread over the summer how you visited Boston and were shocked at some of the behavior you witnessed?
laugh.gif

You live like two hours away
laugh.gif

ohio > everywhere

no minimod or nothing but me no pass edit your post, mods have been sniping dudes for the most littlest of things lately.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

what kinda question is this?

I've only been to each city once and didn't get to explore much in either and I wasn't even 21 yet.

Originally Posted by NooEra

There really isn't much in Boston? Aren't you the dude who made the thread over the summer how you visited Boston and were shocked at some of the behavior you witnessed?
laugh.gif

You live like two hours away
laugh.gif

Nah I live like 5 minutes from Alewife Station in Cambridge, and yeah that was me
laugh.gif

Of course, keep in mind I'm 17 so I can't really experience the nightlife or anything someone 21+ could do, but honestly, what is there to do?

I didn't know there was anything special about Boston besides its history, and I have zero interest in that. Food, sightseeing and partying is all I guess, and the last two don't appeal to me/don't apply.

Back
Top Bottom