New York or Boston

Originally Posted by NooEra

Boston: best history, best schools , best hospitals , best sports environment.

Best schools? What are you talking about?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you mean universities, apart from Harvard and MIT, Boston has no other school that's special. NYC has Columbia and NYU and I wouldn't say that was top in America either.

Originally Posted by scshift

Boston: best history, best schools , best hospitals , best sports environment.

Best schools? What are you talking about?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you mean universities, apart from Harvard and MIT, Boston has no other school that's special. NYC has Columbia and NYU and I wouldn't say that was top in America either.
I think Harvard (#1 USNEWS) and MIT (#5) plus all of the Harvard graduate schools is pretty impressive. No other city has two top 10 universities

Originally Posted by youngdoc

I think Harvard (#1 USNEWS) and MIT (#5) plus all of the Harvard graduate schools is pretty impressive. No other city has two top 10 universities

You're right, but other cities are extremely close.

Los Angeles: UCLA, Cal Tech, USC
Chicago: University of Chicago, Northwestern
DMV: Georgetown, John Hopkins

Alright looking back, you're right, Boston does have the best schools, but it's definitely not a blowout. The schools I just listed were all top 25 schools for US News.

And the college atmosphere in general. Northeastern, BU, BC, Tufts etc.

Aside from that theres plenty of fun to be had in Boston.

Yo you have to school me on what's good in Boston.

I'm more lost than a tourist, what spots are fun? I'm just under 18 if it matters.

scshift please just %@%%. You dont live in Boston. You live in Cambridge. Just %@%%. You live in a city you know nothing about. Just %@%% you pissing me off.

Yo you have to school me on what's good in Boston.

I'm more lost than a tourist, what spots are fun? I'm just under 18 if it matters.

harvard square in cambridge and davis square in somerville are pretty dope. both are all harvard and tufts students respectively. as far as BU is concerned i have no idea. idk anyone who goes there so idk whats poppin.

BC is barely located in boston...school is on the last stop of the green line mad far from everything else. only thing at that school is on campus house parties and Eagle's Deli, which is one of the best burger shops in MA (look it up on Man vs Food). Northeastern is arite. im sure there are a few bars around, but i partied at people's apts more than an actual bar.

the nightlife can't be compared to that of NYC. it ends at 2am there are barely any clubs....

under 18? F everything i just said. all i can tell you is that boston is white girl HQ. lotta college girls there, waiting to get tipsy and tapped. scshift, you're near cambridge...idk anything thats under 21 there.

IF YOU ARE IN BOSTON GO TO DAVIS SQ in SOMERVILLE,MA. there is a burger shop called BOSTON BURGER COMPANY. I promise your life will be changed....good chance you've never had a better burger meal in your life.

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

I live next to Boston, and I say NYC by FAR.

Boston has nowhere near the environment or beauty New York City has. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world, Boston is just meh.

I could run off a huge list of why NYC>Boston but I'm too lazy. Trust me, it's much better.

Trader!! Blasphemy!! 
laugh.gif

But I agree with scshift.. I'm from outside of Boston as well, and I'd rather be in NYC. 
ohwell.gif
at least you got blasphemy right

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Just curious OP, did you land a job at NYU?

No, an interview for a residency position. I haven't interviewed at NYU or Mass General yet but both are very good programs and when I make my rank list (http://www.nrmp.org/res_m...out_res/algorithms.html) I have to decide which of those will be ahead of the other in my list (among other programs as well) and of course location plays a role.

Alright looking back, you're right, Boston does have the best schools, but it's definitely not a blowout. The schools I just listed were all top 25 schools for US News.

Johns Hopkins is not in the DMV

Originally Posted by rocman23

Johns Hopkins is not in the DMV

Came in here to also say this. Those two schools are over an hour apart, with one being in Baltimore, MD and the other in Washongton D.C.

what specialty are you applying for just out of curiosity? it's like 1/3 of every person in boston is a resident there are so many hospitals in the city.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

what specialty are you applying for just out of curiosity? it's like 1/3 of every person in boston is a resident there are so many hospitals in the city.

Radiology

I don't know how Boston life is but NY life isn't all that it's made out to be, and this is coming from someone who lived in NY for 17 years of his life. I'm 26 now.

I hated traveling by subway. I always feel unsanitary after using it. The LIRR was much better but expensive, but even then, once I got to the city I still had to use the regular subway.

Parking in the city is a hassle. NY drivers scare the crap out of me. Flashing your signal was just asking for a cab to speed up and cut you off...accident be damned. I swear, how I did not get into an accident *knock on wood* driving there is beyond me.

My time in Long Island was good. It's quieter there. More peaceful. I spent a lot of time around Roosevelt Field and Long Beach. And where I lived was always a 30 minute train ride away from MSG.

My favorite spots at NYC was actually not in Manhattan but in Brooklyn and Queens. I liked playing ball in Woodside. I made friends there. I liked nights at Brooklyn Bridge park... just chilling. There was the view of the city, right across from South Street Seaport. There was a little spot between Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge by the water too where I liked to just spend time to myself. There was a pizza place.... I think it's closed now.

Overall, I guess it depends on the type of person you are. To me, NYC wasn't ... all that... although NYers are gunna swear it is.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

under 18? F everything i just said. all i can tell you is that boston is white girl HQ. lotta college girls there, waiting to get tipsy and tapped. scshift, you're near cambridge...idk anything thats under 21 there.

IF YOU ARE IN BOSTON GO TO DAVIS SQ in SOMERVILLE,MA. there is a burger shop called BOSTON BURGER COMPANY. I promise your life will be changed....good chance you've never had a better burger meal in your life.

Good looks man. You know I love the white girls
devil.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

bias opinions are bias
30t6p3b.gif

Of course but there's no objective measure to say which is better.

Before I made this thread I thought NYC had these advantages - bigger, more things to do, better nightlife, better women

and Boston had these - more affordable, high concentration of residents and graduate students.

I was leaning towards NYC (and not just b/c I hate Boston sports teams) but had concerns about if I could truly enjoy all NYC has to offer on the relatively small salary

it really depends on your style

my sis lives in Manhattan - she loves it, but it's just too busy/too many people for me

Boston is nice and calm, even during tourist times. I've been to Boston wayyyy more times than NYC so part of it is just my comfort zone

NYC definitely offers more, but it really depends on what you like

Boston is more of a college town, the economy centers around education, medicine, culture and government. New York is more of a business and commerce city. Boston is probably a better place to raise a family. 

Back
Top Bottom