Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

How’s the Vomero 14 compare to the 13 for recovery and long runs?

Last edited:
How’s the Vomero 14 compare to the 13 for recovery and long runs?
I know some people like the vomero 14, but it's my least favorite nike running shoe out of all that I've used from the latest cohort (epic, peg 35, peg turbo, zoom fly fk, vaporfly fk). In fact, it's the only Nike shoe that I've returned after using because I didn't like it. I think it all comes down to your pace/stride/landing position -- I'm a forefoot striker and I think because of this the shoe was essentially the worst of both worlds -- there isn't much cushioning up front so it didn't work as a recovery run shoe for me (which is what I wanted to use it for) but the setup also left the shoe feeling completely lifeless to me. Like running in bricks... big, heavy, chunky bricks. I only used them for three or so recovery runs if memory serves (so probably around 20-25 miles) before decided they just didn't work for me, so I can't speak to whether they'd work on longer runs.

I know some people like the vomero 14, but it's my least favorite nike running shoe out of all that I've used from the latest cohort (epic, peg 35, peg turbo, zoom fly fk, vaporfly fk). In fact, it's the only Nike shoe that I've returned after using because I didn't like it. I think it all comes down to your pace/stride/landing position -- I'm a forefoot striker and I think because of this the shoe was essentially the worst of both worlds -- there isn't much cushioning up front so it didn't work as a recovery run shoe for me (which is what I wanted to use it for) but the setup also left the shoe feeling completely lifeless to me. Like running in bricks... big, heavy, chunky bricks. I only used them for three or so recovery runs if memory serves (so probably around 20-25 miles) before decided they just didn't work for me, so I can't speak to whether they'd work on longer runs.

As someone who works in the industry, "forefoot striker" is not a thing. It's the new barefoot nonsense. You will not land on your forefoot all of the time. Even Rupp and Kipchoge can't do it.

As someone who works in the industry, "forefoot striker" is not a thing. It's the new barefoot nonsense. You will not land on your forefoot all of the time. Even Rupp and Kipchoge can't do it.
Can you expand on what you mean here? Even though I don't know you, I have little reason to doubt you know more about running than I do. Are you saying it's wrong for me to say that different people come into contact with the ground differently based on their pace and form, and that this will impact their opinions on a given shoe? Like on a flat running surface.

^Yeah, I need someone to explain this to me. I strike my forefoot all the time...after my heel lands first.

Depending on my pace and strides, I think I go from heel striker to heavy heel striker.

Respectfully disagree here. I agree with V Varrick
Heel strike, midfoot strike, forefoot strike. They’re all things, and they’re called how you run. I was a heel striker a while back and I forcefully changed to a midfoot striker. I only call myself that because when I am running strong, I tend to land on my whole foot at the same time. When my form breaks down, I start to “overstride” and that’s when I start heel striking. But if I sprint, and I would say when most people sprint, most everyone starts landing on only their forefoot. Some people can do that in their normal form. I can’t. It sounds like V Varrick can.
I dare anyone to try a hard 100 meter sprint and land on their heel or even midfoot. You’ll see what I mean - it doesn’t make sense for when you are trying to do a lot of turnover.

Can you expand on what you mean here? Even though I don't know you, I have little reason to doubt you know more about running than I do. Are you saying it's wrong for me to say that different people come into contact with the ground differently based on their pace and form, and that this will impact their opinions on a given shoe? Like on a flat running surface.

I think he’s trying to say that one may be a forefoot striker but when your body fatigues like hitting the wall in a marathon your form may change and you could heel strike at that point.

I’m a forefoot striker and the heels of my training shoes show no where while the lateral forefoot area is worn through; however in the later stages of a marathon I was heel striking. These were 2:40 to 2:45 races so I was running at a good pace but extreme fatigue broke down my form.

I ran the Chi marathon last fall in the Vaporfly and was able to run on my forefoot the entire way. Not sure if it was the rocker design of the shoe or better training.

I'm going to be diplomatic here and say this is coming down to differing views of what constitutes the "forefoot". I've heard people refer to the forefoot as just the toes before, whereas the term is more popularly used to refer to the ball of the foot or even the anterior-most part of the arch.

I would also say you should better qualify your status of being "in the industry". You being an podiatrist is different from you working in a running store, is different from you being an Olympic-level coach, is different from you being a lifestyle shoe designer, et cetera.

Last edited:
I think he’s trying to say that one may be a forefoot striker but when your body fatigues like hitting the wall in a marathon your form may change and you could heel strike at that point.

I’m a forefoot striker and the heels of my training shoes show no where while the lateral forefoot area is worn through; however in the later stages of a marathon I was heel striking. These were 2:40 to 2:45 races so I was running at a good pace but extreme fatigue broke down my form.

I ran the Chi marathon last fall in the Vaporfly and was able to run on my forefoot the entire way. Not sure if it was the rocker design of the shoe or better training.

Have you tried something like the Saucony Freedom or a Hoka with a lower drop? I ask because I've seen a lot of people on my old route running in Asics with 10-13mm drops and never hitting their heel and I always kind of thought that it was a waste of money/cushion haha. Whatever works for you, of course, just wanted to learn your reasoning for using a 10mm shoe.

5937E51D-F80D-45A8-8EA2-29C96CA7D427.jpeg

Have you tried something like the Saucony Freedom or a Hoka with a lower drop? I ask because I've seen a lot of people on my old route running in Asics with 10-13mm drops and never hitting their heel and I always kind of thought that it was a waste of money/cushion haha. Whatever works for you, of course, just wanted to learn your reasoning for using a 10mm shoe.

I strictly use Nike because the heel drop is good for my achilles. I also like the inovation and designs. Now that they’re flaring the heel in the Pegs and Vomero to also alleviate achilles issues, I don’t see myself running in another brand.

I strictly use Nike because the heel drop is good for my achilles. I also like the inovation and designs. Now that they’re flaring the heel in the Pegs and Vomero to also alleviate achilles issues, I don’t see myself running in another brand.

Ah gotcha. My main issue with Nike at this point is the lack of a replacement for the LunarTempo haha

Ah gotcha. My main issue with Nike at this point is the lack of a replacement for the LunarTempo haha
I had only one pair each of the LT1 and 2. Definitely liked the 1 more, but didn’t really like how my forefoot started feeling no cushion about 100 miles in.
The LT1s are my wife’s favorite shoes, though she doesn’t run. I constantly search eBay for her size and when I find a new pair under $50 I always get them. I think she has like six at this point

I had only one pair each of the LT1 and 2. Definitely liked the 1 more, but didn’t really like how my forefoot started feeling no cushion about 100 miles in.
The LT1s are my wife’s favorite shoes, though she doesn’t run. I constantly search eBay for her size and when I find a new pair under $50 I always get them. I think she has like six at this point

If she’s a 5.5, I got a set of lunaracer 3s for her. They are a half size too small for my wife.

Back
Top Bottom