Nike Kyrie 5

I want to know who started this whole "traction needs to be broken in" ****. Thats a bunch of horse crap.
I have never had a shoe's traction "get better" after breaking in. It's either good or its not. If you take a shoe right from the box to the court, in my experience the traction remains the same. Now if you've contaminated the bottoms so to speak by wearing them casually and getting the bottoms dirty, then you may need to clean the bottoms off or play in them until the contaminants come off (outside dirt, oil, dust, etc).

One shoe tuber says some off the wall **** and the rest bite and speak it like its gospel. FOH with whoever started the whole "break in the traction" crap, thats a bunch of baloney.
I can say, with experience, that I have had multiple pairs that gained improved traction/grip after wearing/playing in them. This has happened with certain colorways of certain models too. I've had a pair that felt like I was skating until around 4-5 hours of use and now they're like flypaper and grab every time that I need them to. As for the outside "contamination theory", I used to believe that until I would wipe down my outside pairs and play with them indoors and discover that the theory doesn't apply to every single pair. For me, it depends on if the traction shows visible signs of heavy usage vs. minimal usage.

Speaking purely from a performance perspective Nike's rubber compounds have been shaky for years now.

They can never get it right it seems, they're translucent options almost always suck unless your playing on NBA spotless floors, and some of their solid options are really hit and miss.

One example that comes to mind for me is the KD4, amazing tractions straight out of the box on ANY court condition, rubber is somewhat sticky to the touch and barely needs wiping, kyrie 4's in comparison are definitely good but can require wiping and almost took a few wears to wear down the initial layer of rubber to start getting some sort of "tackyness" to the floor.

I want to know who started this whole "traction needs to be broken in" ****. Thats a bunch of horse crap.
I have never had a shoe's traction "get better" after breaking in. It's either good or its not. If you take a shoe right from the box to the court, in my experience the traction remains the same. Now if you've contaminated the bottoms so to speak by wearing them casually and getting the bottoms dirty, then you may need to clean the bottoms off or play in them until the contaminants come off (outside dirt, oil, dust, etc).

One shoe tuber says some off the wall **** and the rest bite and speak it like its gospel. FOH with whoever started the whole "break in the traction" crap, thats a bunch of baloney.

It isn’t the pattern that gets better - sometimes, on certain colorways, the runner ends up with a finish on it, like a polish or compound, that doesn’t allow the rubber to react to the surface. Once you wear that compound or finish off, the traction is “broken in” and grip will improve. We used to take our shoes in high school out on the driveway/pavement and wear off the compound on black soles and they immediately got better.

Completely disagree.
Shoes out the box have a slick finish on the rubber. Some even feel plastic.
Traction on Shoes definitely wears & breaks in.
I’m not going off you tube whatever that means.
I’m talking from experience of playing in hundreds of shoes.

So in your opinion did you feel that a pair of Kyrie 4 straight from box to the court the traction was just as good as how the traction turned out 3 weeks later?

My opinion the 4’s where like ice skates the first time they touched the hardwood.
Give them time & work and those little pimples on the zig zag wore down then the shoe bit the floor & no slipping.

I respect his reviews, but he did mention the rubber is something you need to break in for indoor courts.

I really need a new shoe for basketball but I want some cushion coming from the 3s. What other models should I look at?

@GrizzlyAnimal You’re welcome bro!
6C6F1750-A111-4B20-A8D9-FC30D5638AFB.png

It isn’t the pattern that gets better - sometimes, on certain colorways, the runner ends up with a finish on it, like a polish or compound, that doesn’t allow the rubber to react to the surface. Once you wear that compound or finish off, the traction is “broken in” and grip will improve. We used to take our shoes in high school out on the driveway/pavement and wear off the compound on black soles and they immediately got better.

Uhhh yes traction def is better once broken in.....but I also think every situation and scenario plays a big part in it as well, weather/humidity, how clean the court, what type of rubber compound used, etc.....def plays a big part in it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom