Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

Is there an eastbay link? The hoodies were cheaper on that site if I remember correctly

Yeah they were $45 originally then on their new eastbay store they increased them to $55. Would've picked up another hoodie but all Larges are sold out and at that price it's already a lot for a hoodie. I'm sure it's a legal move, but still sad and I can see why people aren't reacting well to the decision of removing the Mamba name.

and just like that it looks like the eastbay store is closed for good... Some Mamba gear on their regular store's website, but looking that might be all thats left...

Just got an order in before the Eastbay Store closed. Hopefully they ship my order but won’t be mad if they don’t :rolleyes

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 7.52.19 AM.png

Had two tees in the cart, after taxes the total rang up to about $84...couldn't see myself paying that much, especially during these times. I'll save that money and put them towards the next pair of Protros if/when they ever release.

The explanation for taking the Mamba name out seems kind of disingenuous. Taking the name off out of respect? Isn’t it the other way around? Don’t people get honored by having their name attached to something? Like the Vince Lombardi Trophy, or Joe Louis Arena, or JFK airport? It’s probably more about money and ego than anything else.

Last edited:
Maybe it was only called Mamba Sports Academy because Kobe was donating money to them. Now that there is no more donation from the Kobe estate, they will give the naming rights to the next highest bidder. Somebody has to fund it.

Yea I'm not sure on the whole name change. I don't think Kobe was "Donating", but it could have been a deal where he was compensated for his presence or advising, an association fee of sorts. I thought he had taken a stake in it (some form of ownership) but none of us know the details. It's possible if it was the former, that the deal would have expired with his passing? All we can do is guess at this point.

We wouldn’t have gotten all that news about the 6s if they didn’t take care of her/the family.

We wouldn’t have gotten all that news about the 6s if they didn’t take care of her/the family.
I'm pretty sure Vanessa won't let that huge financial asset drop away, it makes too much sense for both Nike and Kobe's estate to keep things going. They should be able to ultimately reach an agreement.

I’m saying chances are that agreement was already met with all the news of 6s that was released within the last week.

Let’s just hope that Vanessa doesn’t try and sue Nike for some reason lol

she has been suing everybody!

The VI announcement is not an official announcement though.

I mean, since when do we get official announcements 7 months out? The news about upcoming releases didn’t just come out of thin air. The shoes were made available to retailers to place orders on.

Also, the “Mamba” moniker became a lot more valuable post death. The move to remove it was 100% by his estate.

Or put two and two together. How would we be getting leaks of shoes almost a year away when all has been quite on that front since feb.

Back
Top Bottom