Nike's LeBron Sneakers to Test $300 Limit

This is just a test for Nike to see if this will work... which it probably will.
They didn't get to where they are by making stupid decisions... they know exactly what they're doing.
Look at all the media attention these sneakers have gotten the past few days.
Pure Genius Nike Inc. is... free advertising on one of their most gifted athlete pertaining to his shoes and they didn't even need to drop a dime :x :smh: :smokin
It's just like Jordan Brand did in 2003... they released the True Blue 3's without the Nike Air on the back to test the waters to see if they would still sell.
Here we are nine years later... "settling" for whatever they'll give us just so we can have some nostalgia or status with our peers.

People confuse 'advertising' and 'publicity'. Advertising would generally put a product in a positive light in order to promote it. Publicity just means media attention. If anything it's making Nike look sort of ridiculous. Not a lot of people out there trying to spend over $300 on Nike sneakers.

And they won't be good. Those with the best gear, matching socks and all that, are usually the worst players. I can almost guarantee that the people I will see playing basketball in these shoes will be scrubs. The guy in New Balances or Brooks is almost always wiping the floor with the dude in the newest Kobes or LeBrons. 
You are right, and you don't have to apologize for having that opinion either. If any of you have played against high level college players and pro's during the off season, THEY don't even wear the high priced crap that they probably get for free. I just came in from the park, and a bunch of collegiate players were out the balling with us, and they had on nothing fancy...but enters the park a guy with a Nike team USA jersey, calf sleeve, and a pair of Kobe VI's, and we started laughing our ***** off as soon as he got on court while finding out that he had no clue out there.

Basically, we were playing four on five.

A chick had next, and she had on a pair of Nike Free's, a Jog Bra, and a pair of Lululemon shorts. As soon as she got into the game, she bangs two threes on this dude who plays for NYU.

I kid you not.

These three hundred dollar shoes aren't going to see any court, and I don't think I am going to see the one eighty versions of them out there either.

If I do, I am going to give them the Gasol test...

Last edited:
paranorman foamposite ones will resell for over 2k shortly. I wonder if those will get this type of publicity or get swept under a rug since retail isn't as high.

No offense to you but I swear every time I hear a dude say this I'm like you don't have to be a hater mane. I say that cause I've saw bums of every clothing style on court. I guess another reason I feel this way is cause 9 outta 10 times its always my black friends with this line of thinking. Its almost like dudes want you to be bad so they be like I told you but the ones that will mop you in that matching gear dudes have nothing to say. I've saw that with my own two eyes dude garbage a dunk on or three later cats got no air like they Chris Brown. Oh yeah after all I typed I actually agree with you its just how dudes for some reason automatically wanna assume things that gets me. Let boy play before you come to conclusions.

Obviously there will be outliers. I'm just speaking from experience and I did say usually. Often, those who care the most about style on the court are usually the farthest away from doing anything substantive on it. 

Ultra-stylish gear or not, I always make the same assumption for whomever I'm guarding: he can't shoot. He has to show me otherwise before I actually guard him on the perimeter. Most people are bricklayers. 
I know what you said its just you caught the e version of what my friend catch cause these dudes always on that vibe then getting roasted by said dudes. No harm though. I let people shoot just so I can see where their shot pocket is at then D them up from there not letting no bum get point on me with some junk shot.

As long the price of white AF1's doesn't go over $100.00 I''m good. Hopefully you dudes take a stance against Nike and don't buy into the hype of buying these $300 Lebrons.
i know you r talking about the classic white on white, but u remember those white lux anaconda 07 force 1s? those have to be the most absurd retail price nike has ever put on a sneaker.

I don't think most cats are dressing for dudes or girls. I feel most get what they like and the compliments are secondary.

bruh... people that get what they like are the MINORITY...
The sad part is that this is now true. I'm in the minority 
ohwell.gif

Last edited:
As long the price of white AF1's doesn't go over $100.00 I''m good. Hopefully you dudes take a stance against Nike and don't buy into the hype of buying these $300 Lebrons.
i know you r talking about the classic white on white, but u remember those white lux anaconda 07 force 1s? those have to be the most absurd retail price nike has ever put on a sneaker.

Idk i remember the lace locks were 24k gold(i think) with genuine italian leather and anaconda skin and made in italy i think they were cool. I didnt buy a pair but i liked em

[h1]LeBron X sneaker to be released[/h1]
Updated: August 21, 2012, 10:17 PM ET
By Darren Rovell | ESPN

end mod-article-title begin story body
[h5]LeBron's Sneakers[/h5]
Darren Rovell discusses the new Nike LeBron James sneaker that is expected to retail for $315.Tags: LeBron Sneaker, Nike, Darren Rovell, SportsCenter
LeBron's Sneakers
[h6]NEXT VIDEO
video2.png
[/h6]
After a day full of buzz, the $300 LeBron Nike shoe might not be that expensive.

The Wall Street Journal reported in its Tuesday editions that the LeBron X shoe, scheduled to hit stores this fall, would retail for $315.

But one analyst, Matt Powell of SportsOneSource, later told ESPN that price was for Nike+ tech version of shoe, which would be limited in run, and would likely cost closer to $290.

[+] Enlarge
Christian Petersen/Getty ImagesThe LeBron X has motion sensors in the shoe to track various metrics including how high the player jumps.

Tuesday evening, Nike spokesman Brian Strong called the Journal's reported price "inaccurate," while clarifying that the main version of the shoe would come at a significantly lower price point.

"The LeBron X will be launched in the fall at a suggested retail price of $180," Strong said, in a statement. "The initial introduction of the LeBron X will be the red, white and blue Nike+ enabled version and that price is still being set, but will be at a higher price to reflect the Nike+ technology embedded in the shoes."

The company, apparently sensitive to the reports of it crossing the $300 barrier, said it still offers signature shoes at value price points, including the LeBron Zoom Soldier, which has a suggested retail price of $120.

Between its Nike, Jordan and Converse Brands, Nike owns roughly 95 percent of the US basketball shoe market.

Despite a rough economic environment, Nike has been able to pass on the rising costs of materials to its consumers with little resistance due to the premium associated with its high-end product.

SportsOneSource reported last month that sales of sneakers that retail for more than $100 were up 30 percent on the year and sales of basketball shoes that cost more than $100 were up 50 percent.

Darren Rovell is ESPN's sports business insider.

This is a smart business move by Nike. They know that the resell game has a huge margin and they want a cut of it. Personally, what they should do is raise the price super high on the limited release ie foams galaxy and Kanye's to $500. There are fools out there that would still pay. Capitalize on the demand.

at least ohio didnt take another L
Nope. But the south racked another L :smh:

I don't know what those fools were thinking. There's a damn police department literally in the same parking lot as Greenspoint Mall. :lol: :rofl:

I don't know what those fools were thinking. There's a damn police department literally in the same parking lot as Greenspoint Mall. :lol: :rofl:
thought they were on some mission impossible steez ..

They toked up and really thought it was a good idea.

Atleast they didn't catch ammonia though

After all the coverage, and when this video goes viral, these shoes will definitely sell out.

(In My crackhead Voice) Aye Leggo get dem Brons mane

I guess selling fakes at the flea market wasn't enough for these fellas.smh

thought they were on some mission impossible steez ..

They toked up and really thought it was a good idea.

Atleast they didn't catch ammonia though

After all the coverage, and when this video goes viral, these shoes will definitely sell out.
Well damn. :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

at least ohio didnt take another L
Nope. But the south Houston racked another L :smh:

I'm saying. :lol:

I'll patiently wait for more stories to start poppin. :pimp:

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE

How do you market a pair of $300-plus sneakers? If you're Nike, you just do it quietly. And by acting like you're not marketing them at all.

Nike found itself embroiled in the middle of another controversy this week when news surfaced that it's planning its most-expensive sneaker ever: the LeBron X. A high-end version of LeBron James' signature shoe embedded with Nike+ technology will cost $315, The Wall Street Journal reported.

A price point of $300 or more for a single pair of kicks has been the equivalent of the third rail in the $2.8 billion U.S. basketball shoes business: rarely approached, potentially lethal if crossed.

Once the news got out, Nike was immediately ripped for pushing more overpriced sneakers during an economic recession. Marc Morial of the National Urban League called on parents not to waste their money on an "empty status symbol" and to use it on books instead.

"To release such an outrageously overpriced product while the nation is struggling to overcome an unemployment crisis is insensitive at best," said Mr. Morial in a statement.

The Swoosh is no stranger to controversy. Or at rolling out marquee sneakers that spark near riots at retail. Let's look at how Nike has marketed the LeBron X so far:

Counterattack. The athletic giant hasn't said what the final price will be for the most-expensive model. But it ripped the $315 price tag quoted by the WSJ as "inaccurate." Nike spokesman Brian Strong said the shoe will be launched at a suggested retail price of $180 this fall. The top model will cost more "to reflect the Nike+ technology embedded in the shoes," he said. Sneaker analyst Matt Powell of Princeton Analysis hears the Nike+ model will sell for $290 -- thereby defusing most of the controversy over $300 sneakers. The most expensive LeBron IX shoes currently go for a not much cheaper $250.
Word of mouth. Instead of expensive ads, Nike's relying on word-of-mouth to build anticipation. Elite high school and college athletes have been talking up the high-tech shoes for six months, Mr. Powell said. Sneaker blogs are buzzing about them. And every major media outlet did stories on the LeBron X this week. "You market a shoe like that just by saying you're making that shoe," said marketing consultant Ernest Lupinacci, a former copywriter on Nike ads at Wieden & Kennedy. "They've gotten millions in free publicity already."
Product placement. Nike had the placement of all placements when millions of NBC TV viewers watched LeBron wear the shoes while leading the U.S. men's basketball team to the gold medal at the London Olympics on Aug. 12. After years of being criticized as a choker who couldn't win the big one, Mr. James had a dream season, winning both Olympic gold and the NBA championship with the Miami Heat. It's easy to see Nike rolling out ads showing how the new shoes helped LeBron gain gold in London.
One of the strongest selling points Nike uses for shoes like the LeBron X is that they're not for everybody, Mr. Powell said. The top-end Nike+ shoe is aimed at elite athletes and consumers who want to track how far they run and how high they jump. He expects Nike to only make 25,000 to 50,000 pairs. The rarer a shoe is, the more desperately sneaker buffs want them -- if they can even get them before they're scooped up by scam artists who sell them as collector's items for double or triple the price online.
"They won't do any advertising for this shoe. They don't need to," Mr. Powell said. "This is not so much about being commercial as it is about creating hype and buzz about the brand."

Back
Top Bottom