Now THIS is how you respond to arrogance, Vol. Red Sox Nation Induction

After new Yankees boss Hank Steinbrenner lambasted the notion of Red Sox Nation, Boston principal owner John Henry has offered an olive branch to his American League East rival.

Henry has decided to make Steinbrenner the newest member of Red Sox Nation complete with membership card and certain perks that only members can obtain.

"I'm a big Hank fan," Henry wrote in an e-mail to several media outlets, including the Boston Herald. "Just to ensure he knows how cool Red Sox Nation is, [Saturday] we officially inducted him as a member of Red Sox Nation and we are sending him his membership card giving him access to an array of options including our newsletter, bumper stickers, pins, Green Monster seats and a hat personally autographed by David Ortiz."

Steinbrenner has explained quite succinctly just what he thought about the concept of Red Sox Nation.

"Red Sox Nation? What a bunch of [expletive] that is," he said in an interview with The New York Times' Play magazine. "That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans.

"Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We're going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order."

Hank Steinbrenner's interview, in the March 2 issue of the magazine, reveals a great deal of his personality and his style. He is not afraid to speak his mind, and he appears to have little sense of regret when he does, saying there was a need for him to take control.

"Everyone was hiding in their rooms. You can't do that and be a leader. You have to step up and take a position," he said.

He's not the only person who feels this way about the Red Sox. Hank's younger sibling, Hal Steinbrenner, who runs the business side of the Yankees, made similar, though not as vicious, comments in an interview with GQ.com on Feb. 19.

Get 'em Henry.
laugh.gif

This whole thing seems like a set up to drive sales for both teams. Doesn't seem legit at all.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I hate the Red Sox. Bunch of whiny little brats.
I can't stand the Red Sox or Yankees... Everything about both franchises is just annoying.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I can't stand the Red Sox or Yankees... Everything about both franchises is just annoying.

It worse when the Red Sox fans complain about the yankees, they fail to see that they turned into the yankees in every way

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

It worse when the Red Sox fans complain about the yankees, they fail to see that they turned into the yankees in every way

this is how uneducated people think.

Seriously! Can't wait until all the "Yuppie" Red Sox Nation shows up at the Coliseum, it will be an experience they won'tforget.

The Red Sox are the new Yankees.

And the Yankees are still the Yankees.

Great; now there's two of 'em.
ohwell.gif

If you asked all the Sox haters on NT, there wouldn't be one acceptable way for John Henry to respond.

Props to Henry for taking the high road and props to the Sox for dropping a deuce on teams across the nation.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

The Red Sox are the new Yankees.

And the Yankees are still the Yankees.

Great; now there's two of 'em.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yea I was cheering hard for the Sox to beat the Yankees back in 04, but now they get on my damn nerves. Suddenly everyone is a Red Sox fan too, **** withthat. You know damn well you didn't have that hat five years ago.

Their the reason why I've become a Mets fan. It's like watching an unhappy couple who constantly fight with each other but are stilltogether. It's sad. And funny.

The Red Sox are nothing like the Yankees in any way other than the big payroll.

The Red Sox have what is universally considered a top 3 farm system in the majors. They don't develop talent? Ellsbury? Buchholz? Masterson? Lowrie? LarsAnderson?

They're STACKED down on the farm. Combine that with a pitching staff of young studs (Papelbon, Beckett, Matsuzaka, MDC, Okajima, Lester, etc), and a coreof very good experienced players (Manny, Ortiz, Lowell, etc)...

How are they like the Yankees in any way other than a big payroll? Epstein has built a dynasty in Boston. His plans are aimed at long-term and short-termsuccess. The guy is fallible (see: Drew, Lugo), but he is a genius.

Get out of here with the "Red Sox are becoming the Yankees" nonsense. That is simply uninformed rhetoric, born from ignorance.

Monta Ellis:
The Red Sox are nothing like the Yankees in any way other than the big payroll.

How are they like the Yankees in any way other than a big payroll?
Ortiz came up with the Red Sox?

Manny? He came up through their awesome farm system?

Even on their first WS win in 1k years, Pedro Martinez; he came up through their farm system?

Schilling, the guy with the bloody sock? He came up through their farm system?

Coco Crisp? How 'bout him?

Beckett? Did he come up through their farm system?

Wakefield?

That's one; they've bought a ton of talent from other teams. Just because you have some nice guys on your roster that were products of your farm systemdoes NOT mean that your name should be excluded in the discussion of teams that seek to buy championships by plucking the talent from other teams. (Go aheadand take the immature route, bringing my team into it, like I've ever denied that we've managed to pluck Vlad, Colon [even though it didn't quitework out], GMM, Jr [even though he's hardly on the level of Ortiz, Manny, et al], and now Torii [
smokin.gif
]).

Second, there's the arrogance of their fans, the single most annoying characteristic of Yankee fans (as a whole; there are PLENTY that are just regularol' baseball fans who claim the Yankees as their home team).

Third, there's the arrogance of the team. I can hear you now: "Well they've won 2 WSs this decade, so they have a right to be arrogant." Inever said anything about having a right; I simply pointed out the arrogance of the players; it's there.

Fourth, they're good. They're a lock for the playoffs and an AL favorite every year now; that's always going to draw hate.

Back
Top Bottom