NT-Artist Song Battle Thread

Aight so I had this idea a long time ago to bring some life and creativity back to this place. Some of you remember the keystyles tournies and %$@% right? Mad fun
pimp.gif
. Well most of us were just kids then... just having fun and %$@%. But we grew up, and many of us grew up (on-line) together. And then there are those of us that kept going and progressed into actual recording careers and what have you. I salute you all
pimp.gif
. So anyway..

This is my proposition: A hip-hop song battle. 16 contestants*. 3 judges. 1 winner.  

Simple. 

The benefits are pretty obvious. We can showcase a %$@% load of talent and diversity without the weeks it takes to organize and compile an NT mixtape. BAM! Then there's the spirit of competition that some us have. The more rounds you win, the more shine you get basically. 

All in all my intent is to:

-Stir up something interesting in the music forum for the first time inabout 4 years
30t6p3b.gif

-Generate a little publicity for every one involved.

-Give cats like myself a fair chance to be HEARD, if only by other cats like myself....oh, and the thousands of lurkers, A&Rs, and consumers that scan NT daily..

-Get re-acquainted with my NT  brothers..... ya'll know how close knit this forum used to be circa The Music Forum PYP days...
grin.gif

-WIN!
laugh.gif

I wanna compete so I'm just throwing the idea out there. I don't want to have anything to do with running this tourny (conflict of interest). If anybody likes the idea and wants to jump down, let me know. We'll need someone to organize it and 3 judges to call it -- preferably long-time non-biased regulars. We could use themed rounds so that no one puts their "Where I'm From" up against somebody ele's "Girls Girls Girls" yahmean? Diversity should be one of the components necessary to taking home first place in this thing (along with creativity, delivery, cadence, vibe, and lyricism). I feel like as incentive, one of the immensely talented NT producers should offer a beat (or 12...
nerd.gif
) as a reward, but I'm just throwing around ideas...I'd say original songs only but I feel too many stipulations will make the tourny less interesting or make it less accessible to those that wanna jump down... so yeah tho... #PleaseRespond.. 

bump

Spoiler [+]
Looks like we got this ball rolling...
pimp.gif
... More rappers. More judges. I think I got a host..maybe, but if anybody is interested just holla. Not sure if MIDAS was tryna compete or not...
nerd.gif
. I'll edit the OG post when these blanks get filled in. If anybody has any rule alterations/suggestions I'm all ears.

Host

Contestants:
1.MotivatedMidwestMogul
2.durtysoufpimp8
3.HipHopDoc09
4.H TOWN HUSTLER
5.MusicalExcellence
6.lil smitty
7.niquefreak94
8.OnTheNephs
9.youngeekins
10.y0ung j33zy

Judges.

Rules

1. No seeding. Matchups will be paired by "pulling numbers from a hat" so to speak.

2. Each round will have a specific song category. There will be 4 rounds/categories. (For example, if the first round's category is "Featured verse", all 16 contestants in the first round should post a song where they fell they killed the "Featured verse". If the second round's category is "Story telling song", the remaining 8 contestants should post a S.T.S...and so forth.. ) This will help with making sure the songs in question are comparable, while also adding suspense, and insuring a diverse competition. it's not absolutely necessary for a contestant's song to fit into the chosen category. Every one doesn't make the same music after all.... but judging should be harsher for songs that do not fit the criteria. It's only fair.

3. Once the category is announced for each round, contestants should PM/email the host a link to their song so that the host can update the brackets for the round. The judges then have a week to reply back to the host of the tourny with their decisions for the round. At a predetermined time, the host will then post the winners and the tourny will move on from there.

A couple thoughts...

- Using PMs efficiently is paramount if we're to run this smoothly and with coordination. Between the start of the round and the end of it a full week later, I believe 7 days is more than enough time to decide what to post, figure out where to send it, and have it judged objectively.

-If music videos are used in place of MP3s or other audio, I opt that they be judged SOLEY on the musical content and not the imagery.

-The host has to be commited and reliable. I haven't been a music forum regular in a very long time so I can't make the call and I have no opinion on who should host and who should judge.

-Once we start this thing, it will be a month until it's finished. Trying to move it any faster won't work, but if it goes any slower it will die out anyway. It's up to us to stay active and keep it alive if we DO get this cracking.... Anybody without the attention span to see it through shouldn't participate. I'm just saying

just to be sure, all original beats correct? would it matter for certain categories (like for "Featured verse" if the verse was over an industry beat)

I think we should scratch the original beat idea...it would be too much to expect every one to have industry quality original work on deck like that.

Yes and yes. Thanks AJ... I shall now hand the reigns over to Potus2028... I say we finish organizing it in this thread then you jump off aseperate thread for the actual tourny (that way you can update the OP... )

vvUpdatevv
Spoiler [+]
Host
1. Potus2028

Contestants:
1.MotivatedMidwestMogul
2.durtysoufpimp8
3.HipHopDoc09
4.H TOWN HUSTLER
5.MusicalExcellence
6.lil smitty
7.niquefreak94
8.OnTheNephs
9.youngeekins
10.y0ung j33zy
11. SoVerSoTowel

Judges.

Rules

1. No seeding. Matchups will be paired by "pulling numbers from a hat" so to speak.

2. Each round will have a specific song category. There will be 4 rounds/categories. (For example, if the first round's category is "Featured verse", all 16 contestants in the first round should post a song where they fell they killed the "Featured verse". If the second round's category is "Story telling song", the remaining 8 contestants should post a S.T.S...and so forth.. ) This will help with making sure the songs in question are comparable, while also adding suspense, and insuring a diverse competition. it's not absolutely necessary for a contestant's song to fit into the chosen category. Every one doesn't make the same music after all.... but judging should be harsher for songs that do not fit the criteria. It's only fair.

3. Once the category is announced for each round, contestants should PM/email the host a link to their song so that the host can update the brackets for the round. The judges then have a week to reply back to the host of the tourny with their decisions for the round. At a predetermined time, the host will then post the winners and the tourny will move on from there.

A couple thoughts...

- Using PMs efficiently is paramount if we're to run this smoothly and with coordination. Between the start of the round and the end of it a full week later, I believe 7 days is more than enough time to decide what to post, figure out where to send it, and have it judged objectively.

-If music videos are used in place of MP3s or other audio, I opt that they be judged SOLEY on the musical content and not the imagery.

-The host has to be commited and reliable. I haven't been a music forum regular in a very long time so I can't make the call and I have no opinion on who should host and who should judge.

-Once we start this thing, it will be a month until it's finished. Trying to move it any faster won't work, but if it goes any slower it will die out anyway. It's up to us to stay active and keep it alive if we DO get this cracking.... Anybody without the attention span to see it through shouldn't participate. I'm just saying

Back
Top Bottom