NT basketball heads, need help for my little brother vol. Drills and such

Unfortunately, my brother was cut recently from his 7th grade basketball tryouts. He made it to the final cuts but was one of the last few left out. He is downtrodden as one might expect, especially considering that 2 of his closest friends made the team. I want to help him get better during this next year but don't really know where to legitimately look or ask. I know NT has some coaches so I figured this could be a haven for my lack of knowledge. I played ball throughout HS but I was never one for coaching others or remembering drills, especially those that would most benefit a 12 year old or one's that I could do on my own (possibly the source of my relative lack of success in the sport). To be honest, I was never THAT serious about it, but maybe I should have been and I'd greatly enjoy if my bro made the team next year and beyond. You can call it living vicariously through him but I sure as hell would have benefited from an older brother in my younger years and I know he would appreciate my help. 
He is signing up for a rec league over the winter so he can continue to play regulation games.

Keep in mind that he's 12 so I don't want to see any power lifting routines. 

I'm thinking along the lines of running, bodyweight exercises, dribbling (A LOT), shooting off the dribble, fundamentals but stuff he can primarily do on his own. 

In a perfect world, I would love to give him a sheet of what to do every week (so and so routine 3x a week, this 2x a week)

What can yall give me? Thanks in advance. 

Sorry for the long post. I feel bad for the kid 
tired.gif

Unfortunately, my brother was cut recently from his 7th grade basketball tryouts. He made it to the final cuts but was one of the last few left out. He is downtrodden as one might expect, especially considering that 2 of his closest friends made the team. I want to help him get better during this next year but don't really know where to legitimately look or ask. I know NT has some coaches so I figured this could be a haven for my lack of knowledge. I played ball throughout HS but I was never one for coaching others or remembering drills, especially those that would most benefit a 12 year old or one's that I could do on my own (possibly the source of my relative lack of success in the sport). To be honest, I was never THAT serious about it, but maybe I should have been and I'd greatly enjoy if my bro made the team next year and beyond. You can call it living vicariously through him but I sure as hell would have benefited from an older brother in my younger years and I know he would appreciate my help. 
He is signing up for a rec league over the winter so he can continue to play regulation games.

Keep in mind that he's 12 so I don't want to see any power lifting routines. 

I'm thinking along the lines of running, bodyweight exercises, dribbling (A LOT), shooting off the dribble, fundamentals but stuff he can primarily do on his own. 

In a perfect world, I would love to give him a sheet of what to do every week (so and so routine 3x a week, this 2x a week)

What can yall give me? Thanks in advance. 

Sorry for the long post. I feel bad for the kid 
tired.gif

I coach, assistant at HS level and skills work at middle school/JH level.

Seeing as he's your brother, you can probably answer a couple of questions about him before I give any definite advice.

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?
Position on court/most fitting skillset?
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.
Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work?

I coach, assistant at HS level and skills work at middle school/JH level.

Seeing as he's your brother, you can probably answer a couple of questions about him before I give any definite advice.

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?
Position on court/most fitting skillset?
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.
Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work?

-run suicides
-run stairs
-practice lay-ups on both sides
-make sure his shooting form is good. With me I always made my form in the shape of an L (kinda hard to explain)
-have him shoot one-handed close-range (imo it helps with form and follow through)

As far as exercises I dont know. The kid is 12. Playing in the rec league will help tremendously. From my experience it helps to know the coach and have the coach know you. Bball is sport where who you know will do wonders, because the coach will have an eye for you when practicing/at tryouts. Also ask the coach what he can do to improve and what he didn't do that others did. Good luck!

-run suicides
-run stairs
-practice lay-ups on both sides
-make sure his shooting form is good. With me I always made my form in the shape of an L (kinda hard to explain)
-have him shoot one-handed close-range (imo it helps with form and follow through)

As far as exercises I dont know. The kid is 12. Playing in the rec league will help tremendously. From my experience it helps to know the coach and have the coach know you. Bball is sport where who you know will do wonders, because the coach will have an eye for you when practicing/at tryouts. Also ask the coach what he can do to improve and what he didn't do that others did. Good luck!

push-ups and sit-ups/crunches will help him get stronger with out going "meat-head" crazy. Conditioning is key as well. As Krazy mentioned, suicides and running stairs will help. Have him practice dribbling from half court on one side-line, crossing over at the hash and pull up for an elbow jumpshot. Do this from both sides of the court.

push-ups and sit-ups/crunches will help him get stronger with out going "meat-head" crazy. Conditioning is key as well. As Krazy mentioned, suicides and running stairs will help. Have him practice dribbling from half court on one side-line, crossing over at the hash and pull up for an elbow jumpshot. Do this from both sides of the court.

Whatever you want him to do, make sure you do it with him. He won't feel alone and both of you can enjoy yourselves.
Easy things both of you can enjoy are Shooting drills and Ball handling drills.
If he can get his form down then that'll be great, next practice his range from that don't make him shoot just 3 pointers all the time.
In between the 3pt line and free throw is great to have a shot in.
Ball handling can be done with anything. dribble in/out/around cones (or anything you can use) dribble with a tennis ball, and do it with both hands.
If he can get a good handle this early, when he develops, controlling the ball and executing moves will come natural.

Whatever you want him to do, make sure you do it with him. He won't feel alone and both of you can enjoy yourselves.
Easy things both of you can enjoy are Shooting drills and Ball handling drills.
If he can get his form down then that'll be great, next practice his range from that don't make him shoot just 3 pointers all the time.
In between the 3pt line and free throw is great to have a shot in.
Ball handling can be done with anything. dribble in/out/around cones (or anything you can use) dribble with a tennis ball, and do it with both hands.
If he can get a good handle this early, when he develops, controlling the ball and executing moves will come natural.

simple things no need to bring out all the equipment...he's only 12

most kids at that age that can consistently make lay-ups with both hands tend to do all-right...make sure he's in shape year round like others said run him a little

developing a handle without looking down is a good start too, just get him up and down the court doing this and making layups, it will become second nature to him...simple passes, overhead, chest, bounce, post entry...(you'd be surprised how many kids in HS can't even make a post entry pass)

shooting depends on what his form is like can't answer without seeing it first imo.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...PLAY...he's gotta play against other people as much as possible...experience >

basketball is such an easy game if you utilize the basics (and have decent teammates)

simple things no need to bring out all the equipment...he's only 12

most kids at that age that can consistently make lay-ups with both hands tend to do all-right...make sure he's in shape year round like others said run him a little

developing a handle without looking down is a good start too, just get him up and down the court doing this and making layups, it will become second nature to him...simple passes, overhead, chest, bounce, post entry...(you'd be surprised how many kids in HS can't even make a post entry pass)

shooting depends on what his form is like can't answer without seeing it first imo.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...PLAY...he's gotta play against other people as much as possible...experience >

basketball is such an easy game if you utilize the basics (and have decent teammates)

^haha I actually used to watch Through the Fire before some of my high school games, really do motivate ya

...but to answer the question, shooting and ball handling are must. If a player cant handle the ball, the will get exposed in high school. Mid range jumper is vital skill to practice also. Since he is just in 7th grade now is a good time to start get the ball handling and the shot down pat. Learning the triple threat position and pivots would be good for him too. Remind him that just because he didnt make the middle school team does not mean he will never make a school time. Chances are that most of the guys who made the team over him wont even make it to the varisty level in high school because of not having the work ethic. By my senior year of high school, only me and one other player from my middle school team was still relevant and played varsity.

^haha I actually used to watch Through the Fire before some of my high school games, really do motivate ya

...but to answer the question, shooting and ball handling are must. If a player cant handle the ball, the will get exposed in high school. Mid range jumper is vital skill to practice also. Since he is just in 7th grade now is a good time to start get the ball handling and the shot down pat. Learning the triple threat position and pivots would be good for him too. Remind him that just because he didnt make the middle school team does not mean he will never make a school time. Chances are that most of the guys who made the team over him wont even make it to the varisty level in high school because of not having the work ethic. By my senior year of high school, only me and one other player from my middle school team was still relevant and played varsity.

Check youtube , there's hundreds of drills & routines on there to choose from.

Also most importantly, DONT let him watch you play....Your lack of athleticism could really set him back.

tongue.gif
j/k

Also most importantly, DONT let him watch you play....Your lack of athleticism could really set him back.

tongue.gif
j/k

Originally Posted by MJsaver

tongue.gif
j/k
I knew the LGCC guys were going to come in here and talk trash...
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It is what it is. I torched yall that one day anyways...
tongue.gif
. I'm not going to say much more. Oh yeah, forgot something, "Foul!!"
And to the dude with the questions:

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?  Not completely sure but about 5' and about 100lbs. He told me he was in the middle in terms of height of people who tried out. 
Position on court/most fitting skillset? SG/SF (I'm sure he could run point if he became a better ball handler)
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.   It's okay. He can make shots consistently but I wouldn't say it's fundamentally sound. He has trouble putting shots up off the dribble/a quick release. 

Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work? Definitely willing. I mean he doesn't a huge amount of time every day; he's involved in other stuff. I'd say 30 minutes would be fine. We have a hoop and big driveway at our house but weather will certainly become a factor but I can see him using the garage to practice dribbling and the sort. I'd rather him become a much better athlete and ball handler first.  I'm away at school so I don't see him that much. Just want him to have routines/exercises he can do on his own. He does go to the local park district every Sat for a couple hours to run games. 

Once I get my car back, I might be able to take him to a court a couple times a week. Other than that, he'll most likely be on his own 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by MJsaver

tongue.gif
j/k
I knew the LGCC guys were going to come in here and talk trash...
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It is what it is. I torched yall that one day anyways...
tongue.gif
. I'm not going to say much more. Oh yeah, forgot something, "Foul!!"
And to the dude with the questions:

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?  Not completely sure but about 5' and about 100lbs. He told me he was in the middle in terms of height of people who tried out. 
Position on court/most fitting skillset? SG/SF (I'm sure he could run point if he became a better ball handler)
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.   It's okay. He can make shots consistently but I wouldn't say it's fundamentally sound. He has trouble putting shots up off the dribble/a quick release. 

Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work? Definitely willing. I mean he doesn't a huge amount of time every day; he's involved in other stuff. I'd say 30 minutes would be fine. We have a hoop and big driveway at our house but weather will certainly become a factor but I can see him using the garage to practice dribbling and the sort. I'd rather him become a much better athlete and ball handler first.  I'm away at school so I don't see him that much. Just want him to have routines/exercises he can do on his own. He does go to the local park district every Sat for a couple hours to run games. 

Once I get my car back, I might be able to take him to a court a couple times a week. Other than that, he'll most likely be on his own 
ohwell.gif

^Dribbling is a weak spot. He can do both hands for layups but left is def weak/don't see him using it in a game situation.

Back
Top Bottom