NT basketball heads, need help for my little brother vol. Drills and such

^Dribbling is a weak spot. He can do both hands for layups but left is def weak/don't see him using it in a game situation.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Check youtube , there's hundreds of drills & routines on there to choose from.

Also most importantly, DONT let him watch you play....Your lack of athleticism could really set him back.

tongue.gif
j/k
I knew the LGCC guys were going to come in here and talk trash...
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It is what it is. I torched yall FRESHthat one day anyways...
tongue.gif
. I'm not going to say much more. Oh yeah, forgot something, "Foul!!"
laugh.gif
You repped the Chi well, and i remember givin you the props u deserved....just couldnt waste a trash talk opportunity.

If hes your brother im sure he can shoot, but whos going to teach him a decent  layup
frown.gif
?........Ok im done for real now...
happy.gif

Also most importantly, DONT let him watch you play....Your lack of athleticism could really set him back.

tongue.gif
j/k
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
You repped the Chi well, and i remember givin you the props u deserved....just couldnt waste a trash talk opportunity.

If hes your brother im sure he can shoot, but whos going to teach him a decent  layup
frown.gif
happy.gif

\

/ THREAD

I mean if he learns tobecomes a lock down defender the coach will have no chose but to play him.

\

/ THREAD

I mean if he learns tobecomes a lock down defender the coach will have no chose but to play him.

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It is what it is. I torched yall that one day anyways...
tongue.gif
And to the dude with the questions:

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?  Not completely sure but about 5' and about 100lbs. He told me he was in the middle in terms of height of people who tried out. 
Position on court/most fitting skillset? SG/SF (I'm sure he could run point if he became a better ball handler)
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.   It's okay. He can make shots consistently but I wouldn't say it's fundamentally sound. He has trouble putting shots up off the dribble/a quick release. 

Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work? Definitely willing. I mean he doesn't a huge amount of time every day; he's involved in other stuff. I'd say 30 minutes would be fine. We have a hoop and big driveway at our house but weather will certainly become a factor but I can see him using the garage to practice dribbling and the sort. I'd rather him become a much better athlete and ball handler first.  I'm away at school so I don't see him that much. Just want him to have routines/exercises he can do on his own. He does go to the local park district every Sat for a couple hours to run games. 

Once I get my car back, I might be able to take him to a court a couple times a week. Other than that, he'll most likely be on his own 
ohwell.gif
OK thanks for the answers.

Like another dude said, first up has to be form shooting. 95% of players will struggle with a quick release & off the dribble shooting if the form is way outta wack. With your driveway hoop its simple. As often as possible, out front with the ball, one-handed form shots starting 4-5 feet away dead centre in front of the basket. Get the form right (would be useful if you could check on him in this early stage but not critical). Once the form is there, the goal is 10 consecutive makes. Once that's done, step back one step. Repeat out to 17-18 feet. As you go further back, the second hand will become necessary to guide the ball. Also do the same from 45 degrees, using the bank shot. I personally did this a few years back, over the course of 4 weeks I completely reworked my shot and was comfortable out to 18 feet. I was doing it 5 times a week, but however much is possible will be fine.

From there it's natural progression to straight catch and shoot. Same rules apply, start close and work further out. Move on to catch and shoot of the cut/curl, both with the 1-2 and the jump-stop (it's important to be comfortable with either), and finally would come shooting off the dribble ideally.

If he's willing, get him to count and keep records of his workouts to track his progress.

Dribbling is something I struggle to teach besides the basic fundamentals....basically because I had to teach myself every move I have with no outside help. Others will be of more assistance

As far as exercises are concerned, I'd be looking at:
Flat running
Sprints (10metres, 20 metres, 30 metres)
Change of speed drills (Slow-fast, quick-stops)
Change of direction drills (L-cuts, V-cuts...can basically run along lines for this)
Defensive drills (slides, recovery etc..)

& then things like (all bodyweight):
Squats
Jump squats (backboard touches, wall touches or similar, aiming to get higher all the time)
Lunges
Pushups
Dips
Pullups (if hes capable)

The people over at bodybuilding.com are extremely helpful for that sort of stuff.

As far as volume, I'd suggest shooting 3x per week, running 2x per week, power exercises 2x per week & dribbling whenever he's got a spare 10 minutes.

Hope this helps, PM me if you've got any more questions. Good luck

(Sorry for the essay!)

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
It is what it is. I torched yall that one day anyways...
tongue.gif
And to the dude with the questions:

Height & Weight (I realise it's probably going to change soon but it may help)?  Not completely sure but about 5' and about 100lbs. He told me he was in the middle in terms of height of people who tried out. 
Position on court/most fitting skillset? SG/SF (I'm sure he could run point if he became a better ball handler)
How is his shot form? If it's busted, a year away from the team is the perfect time to nail it down.   It's okay. He can make shots consistently but I wouldn't say it's fundamentally sound. He has trouble putting shots up off the dribble/a quick release. 

Is he willing to work/does he have the time to work/do you have the location to work? Definitely willing. I mean he doesn't a huge amount of time every day; he's involved in other stuff. I'd say 30 minutes would be fine. We have a hoop and big driveway at our house but weather will certainly become a factor but I can see him using the garage to practice dribbling and the sort. I'd rather him become a much better athlete and ball handler first.  I'm away at school so I don't see him that much. Just want him to have routines/exercises he can do on his own. He does go to the local park district every Sat for a couple hours to run games. 

Once I get my car back, I might be able to take him to a court a couple times a week. Other than that, he'll most likely be on his own 
ohwell.gif
OK thanks for the answers.

Like another dude said, first up has to be form shooting. 95% of players will struggle with a quick release & off the dribble shooting if the form is way outta wack. With your driveway hoop its simple. As often as possible, out front with the ball, one-handed form shots starting 4-5 feet away dead centre in front of the basket. Get the form right (would be useful if you could check on him in this early stage but not critical). Once the form is there, the goal is 10 consecutive makes. Once that's done, step back one step. Repeat out to 17-18 feet. As you go further back, the second hand will become necessary to guide the ball. Also do the same from 45 degrees, using the bank shot. I personally did this a few years back, over the course of 4 weeks I completely reworked my shot and was comfortable out to 18 feet. I was doing it 5 times a week, but however much is possible will be fine.

From there it's natural progression to straight catch and shoot. Same rules apply, start close and work further out. Move on to catch and shoot of the cut/curl, both with the 1-2 and the jump-stop (it's important to be comfortable with either), and finally would come shooting off the dribble ideally.

If he's willing, get him to count and keep records of his workouts to track his progress.

Dribbling is something I struggle to teach besides the basic fundamentals....basically because I had to teach myself every move I have with no outside help. Others will be of more assistance

As far as exercises are concerned, I'd be looking at:
Flat running
Sprints (10metres, 20 metres, 30 metres)
Change of speed drills (Slow-fast, quick-stops)
Change of direction drills (L-cuts, V-cuts...can basically run along lines for this)
Defensive drills (slides, recovery etc..)

& then things like (all bodyweight):
Squats
Jump squats (backboard touches, wall touches or similar, aiming to get higher all the time)
Lunges
Pushups
Dips
Pullups (if hes capable)

The people over at bodybuilding.com are extremely helpful for that sort of stuff.

As far as volume, I'd suggest shooting 3x per week, running 2x per week, power exercises 2x per week & dribbling whenever he's got a spare 10 minutes.

Hope this helps, PM me if you've got any more questions. Good luck

(Sorry for the essay!)

tongue.gif
j/k
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

frown.gif
happy.gif

Shot fired?
nerd.gif

tongue.gif
j/k
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

frown.gif
happy.gif

Shot fired?
nerd.gif

At that age... Dribble drills and defensive drills. All day. Doesn't matter how big he is or what position he plays for me. Dribble, dribble, dribble. And defend.

You can take some time to work on shooting form but most kids that age are shot-putting the ball and not actually shooting it.

At that age... Dribble drills and defensive drills. All day. Doesn't matter how big he is or what position he plays for me. Dribble, dribble, dribble. And defend.

You can take some time to work on shooting form but most kids that age are shot-putting the ball and not actually shooting it.

Back
Top Bottom