NT how much do you pay for rent/mortgage monthly?

I feel you Sole Woman, currently lookin into southern MD as opposed to NoVa cause prices are dumb high! Some prices in the DC Metro area are just criminal.

Originally Posted by slickp42189

thats not bad, where in metro is it if you dont mind me asking, my girl used to have a place in clinton twnshp for 630/mo utilities included 2br and it was a sick place/location the only reason why im not there now is because clinton twnshp isnt close to anywhere i need to be, and honestly you couldve got a town house with water included for 50 bucks more but i guess it depends on where you want to live

Whats the name or location of the place, if you don't mind me asking? Clinton Twp. is exactly the location I'm looking for...

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

Originally Posted by JJ1223

If making 40k, how much should one look to pay for rent?

I hear that you should try and keep your rent/mortgage to about 25%-33% of your monthly income but it depends on your other financial obligations. Do you have students loans, debt, car note, etc? Is that 40K before or after taxes?
At 40k I'd look for a roommate to split rent with...depending on the area you're in, I think you're around where I'm at
nerd.gif
rent is around 6-900/mo for a decent 2 bedroom
This is probably what I'll end up doing... after college I'm just not trying to have a roommate if I don't have to
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Born-and-raised Columbia'er checking in. Are you set on Columbia? Because you can get a home just across the line in Elkridge for about 20-25% cheaper. What makes you want to move from MoCo to HoCo though?
Towson, MD:

$1,055 2BR-1BA

It's walking distance to school and is one of the least busted complexes for parties. But I'm looking to get a house for Senior year.

My wife and I aren't set on anywhere yet and we have just started looking. We are thinking about Columbia because we found a house we really like that is in our price range, which is hard to do in Montgomery County because everything is so expensive around here. We also found some places in Elkridge that we like, but we didn't know much about that area either. How is Elkridge incomparison to Columbia?

If you care about convenience, stay out of Columbia, not worth it at all IMO. the traffic is horrible going into Montgomery/ PG Counties. For work, I leave at 5:30 am to get to Silver Spring and it takes roughly 45 mins to get there. Columbia has horrible public transportation as well. The only redeeming quality is the school system but that should only matter if you have little kids. I would also think twice about buying property in Howard County because property taxes are some of the highest in the state
sick.gif
, and have increased every year. My dad is talking about selling his house there because of the tax rate increases.

Even with the ICC traffic is horrible? I would probably be coming down 29 and hopping on the ICC to go to Rockville everyday. As far as tax increases go, Montgomery County has gone up every year also except for this year. I was reading that it is because tax assesments are lagging behind the housing market decline. Hopefully it is the same for Howard Coutny, but if not we will definitely think twice before buying there.

I like Columbia. I used to live in Laurel when I was stationed at Fort Meade, but I kept hearing about Columbia, and when my lease expired I moved up there. It's quiet, has a nice atmosphere with lots of trees and woods and stuff. It is a bit out of the way, and things are spread out. It's not like a typical town where you can just go to the corner McDonalds whenever you want. I have to drive a little bit to get places, but it's worth it. The schools are good. Howard Co is pretty good about school which was important to me, because my kids are 11 and 7. The Columbia mall is nice. Merriweather Post Pavilion is there too and there are usually concerts in the summer, and events going on all year long. It's pricey to live there, but not as pricey as other places.

But like someone already said, Elkridge is nice too. That whole area is nice, but still too expensive. I work in south DC right off 295/Anacostia, and its a 45 minute - 1 hour drive to work everyday.

Traffic is pretty bad. I leave at 620ish and get to DC at about 710.

I'm thinking of moving to Silver Springs after my current lease expires. I need to some more research on it as far as the schools and prices, but it seems like a viable spot to get closer to DC. That hour+ commute twice a day is killing me.
Yea my wife and I like Columbia also because it seems really peaceful and quite. We go to Columbia Mall and the movie theater every once in a while when we want to get away from everything going on in Downtown Silver Spring/Rockville. Could you elaborate more on Elkridge also? Like how are the schools and safety?

Also if you need any help finding a place in Silver Spring or just some ideas where to look, let me know. I've been here my whole life and I used to work in property management, so I know where the good areas are.

I don't know too much about Elkridge.  I know its close to Anne Arundel county, like right inbetween 95 and the BW Parkway.  My son played pop-warner for Elkridge Hurricanes, so that as the only time I really went into Elkridge.  From what I saw it was nice and quiet too.  But I'm sorry I don't have more info on it.

Mr Anleu- Elkridge is right next to Columbia so really all of the amenities Columbia offers can be had if you live in Elkridge, they're just a minute or two more of a drive (minus the cheap rates for the Columbia Association which I definitely recommend joining). The key with Elkridge is to get as close to Columbia/Ellicott City as possible. The parts of Elkridge close to Hanover or Arbutus are really trashy and just not a good look. My mom/step-dad currently live in Elkridge in a neighborhood called Mayfield Woods, it's literally 30 seconds away from Kendall Ridge (Columbia) where I grew up. I can go to the edge of my court and look down the street and see the woods behind the house I grew up in. That's the area of Elkridge that I would recommend living in that borders Columbia, but the areas that border Ellicott City by Rockburn Park, Ilchester, etc. are nice too and the property values are a little more over there I think. 
Elkridge has two high school options: Long Reach and Howard (rivals, about 3 miles apart in Columbia). Long Reach being the "black school" and Howard being the "white school". Howard's better academically then Long Reach but I'm an LR grad and wouldn't trade it for the world. 

Also if you work in DC/suburbs, have you looked into Fulton? Like around Maple Lawn and Reservoir HS? 

dadecounty- Haha what a small world, I almost played for the Hurricanes but decided to play for the Warriors instead.

Paying $500 for a 350 sq ft studio that my buddy is renting out to me.

Utilities covered.  Split DirecTv bill, split internet (Time Warner) bill.

In the end, comes out to about $600-650.  It's affordable and allows me to either save or blow my money.

Spoiler [+]
Stacking for my own house, maybe tail end of the year.

If you care about convenience, stay out of Columbia, not worth it at all IMO. the traffic is horrible going into Montgomery/ PG Counties. For work, I leave at 5:30 am to get to Silver Spring and it takes roughly 45 mins to get there. Columbia has horrible public transportation as well. The only redeeming quality is the school system but that should only matter if you have little kids. I would also think twice about buying property in Howard County because property taxes are some of the highest in the state
sick.gif
, and have increased every year. My dad is talking about selling his house there because of the tax rate increases.

Even with the ICC traffic is horrible? I would probably be coming down 29 and hopping on the ICC to go to Rockville everyday. As far as tax increases go, Montgomery County has gone up every year also except for this year. I was reading that it is because tax assesments are lagging behind the housing market decline. Hopefully it is the same for Howard Coutny, but if not we will definitely think twice before buying there.

The ICC is extremely underused because it costs so much. Its a great way to travel but people want to cut their commuting costs and they will take longer to get somewhere if its cheaper. I know no one who has used it except for the first week when it was free (I did and I can't believe I got to Rockville in 15 mins from getting on @ 29
eek.gif
).

$4220 in Philly, but I'm actually cheating, because that includes investment properties as well.  Technically I don't pay rent (I have roommates) as my renters cover my housing fees if you want to think about it that way.

This is probably what I'll end up doing... after college I'm just not trying to have a roommate if I don't have to
laugh.gif

My girlfriend moved out and I was stoked...but I come home from work now with the forever alone face on and talk @%%+ to little kids on mw3
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Mr Anleu- Elkridge is right next to Columbia so really all of the amenities Columbia offers can be had if you live in Elkridge, they're just a minute or two more of a drive (minus the cheap rates for the Columbia Association which I definitely recommend joining). The key with Elkridge is to get as close to Columbia/Ellicott City as possible. The parts of Elkridge close to Hanover or Arbutus are really trashy and just not a good look. My mom/step-dad currently live in Elkridge in a neighborhood called Mayfield Woods, it's literally 30 seconds away from Kendall Ridge (Columbia) where I grew up. I can go to the edge of my court and look down the street and see the woods behind the house I grew up in. That's the area of Elkridge that I would recommend living in that borders Columbia, but the areas that border Ellicott City by Rockburn Park, Ilchester, etc. are nice too and the property values are a little more over there I think. 
Elkridge has two high school options: Long Reach and Howard (rivals, about 3 miles apart in Columbia). Long Reach being the "black school" and Howard being the "white school". Howard's better academically then Long Reach but I'm an LR grad and wouldn't trade it for the world. 

Also if you work in DC/suburbs, have you looked into Fulton? Like around Maple Lawn and Reservoir HS? 

dadecounty- Haha what a small world, I almost played for the Hurricanes but decided to play for the Warriors instead.
Thanks for the input I will definitely check those areas out. I think we saw a couple places in Elkridge we liked and if I remember correctly they were near 95. I'm not sure which side that is on but I'll go back and look. As for Maple Lawn, we saw some of the new developments there and they are way too expensive. The new townhouses are like $400-$600k because they are brand new with updated everything. 
The ICC is extremely underused because it costs so much. Its a great way to travel but people want to cut their commuting costs and they will take longer to get somewhere if its cheaper. I know no one who has used it except for the first week when it was free (I did and I can't believe I got to Rockville in 15 mins from getting on @ 29 
eek.gif
). 

Yea, I agree it definitely is way too expensive and I don't know many people that use it either. From what I hear there is police on the ICC all the time. If I move to Columbia I may consider using it though. 

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Thanks for the input I will definitely check those areas out. I think we saw a couple places in Elkridge we liked and if I remember correctly they were near 95. I'm not sure which side that is on but I'll go back and look. As for Maple Lawn, we saw some of the new developments there and they are way too expensive. The new townhouses are like $400-$600k because they are brand new with updated everything. 
eek.gif
). 
No problem, feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you have, I may be able to answer them. Yeah Maple Lawn's pretty expensive. My dad works at Bozzuto and they have some beautiful places there but they're so expensive.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

laugh.gif

My girlfriend moved out and I was stoked...but I come home from work now with the forever alone face on and talk @%%+ to little kids on mw3
laugh.gif

roll.gif
could be worse I guess

Originally Posted by 4one5

Originally Posted by Flaming Hot Cheetos

980 for my half of the rent with my bro in this 2bed 2bath with washer dryer unit:
000000088524.jpg

Rent includes trash and water.  Even with the washer dryer, awesome layout and being right next to Bart/Trader Joes/Costco/Starbucks/Cleaners, it's a lot for rent I know.  
South San Franicsco Bart station I assume? no stalker
Yes  
lookaround%5B1%5D.gif

currently throwing away 1200 a month
30t6p3b.gif

need to look to buy a place...only prob is plan on moving a couple times before settling

Damn looking at the rents of some of ya'll makes me wish I can live out in the sticks as well.   Sometimes I entertain the thought of moving out into the middle of nowhere to save, dunno if I can though.  

I live by myself pay rent $980 for my house 3 bedroom 2 bath and it has a nice size fenced backyard my dog play in. My neighbor cuts my grass, he is old and has nothing else better to do. House is 1000 square feet. I stay in suburb of Nashville. Very quiet. And I live all by my dang self.

Going to look for another house because my neighbor around the corner was renting his house for $1050 and it has 1800 square feet. prices is pretty low out here. For a awesome looking house 1800-2000 square feet you looking at about $1000-$1100 a month.

My house look like this
412-250

kitchen
100_2804.JPG

damn i want to get a house and get some roommates to pay my mortgage now i never really thought of that.

*bookmarks thread*

This is all pretty interesting stuff.

I'll be moving into a new place over the summer with my gf and we'll be splitting rent.

Ideally we'll find a nice 2 BR somewhere in Brooklyn for around 1400, preferrably less than that. The cost of living down south is obviously so much cheaper but I don't see myself moving down there (yet).

Would do LA/SF if employment worked out that way but the COL is just as much over there.

$1400 a month (water included) in a private house. 2 BR, dining room, living room. heat & electric not included.

QUEENS

Back
Top Bottom