NT how much do you pay for rent/mortgage monthly?

I have a friend who is renting out a 3BR apartment and wants me and another one of my friends to move in this weekend. At first I thought it was good idea (sort of gassed it up), but he wants to charge me 1st month's rent along with security for a total of $1400. My friend would also have to pay the same amount, so it would total $2800 going to my friend/landlord. This includes heat/hot water/electricity. The monthly rent would be $700. The apartment itself is 2/3 of a house in which the landlord lives on the other side.

I told him yeah, didn't sign anything yet. Now I'm sort of getting cold feet. How much do you guys pay for rent/mortgage monthly? Is charging your friend a security fee reasonable? The town is a 'burb in MA. Interested to see what people have to say and whether or not I'm getting hosed.

953 for my mortgage.  Will drop now that I'm going to be homesteaded.
Charge him that security fee.  

Originally Posted by DaGreatJ

953 for my mortgage.  Will drop now that I'm going to be homesteaded.
Charge him that security fee.  
Actually I'll be getting charged that security fee
laugh.gif

He's the landlord, I'm the tenant.

I pay $1025 in San Francisco for a studio less then 300sqf and my deposit was $1500 and this is considered cheap. Haha. I laugh everytime I read how much I pay for what I live in, but I still love it out here.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I pay $1025 in San Francisco for a studio less then 300sqf and my deposit was $1500 and this is considered cheap. Haha. I laugh everytime I read how much I pay for what I live in, but I still love it out here.

Does that include utilities? Where is the location?

I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment in Metro Detroit and my rent is $825/mo + utilities, and my security deposit was $800. Rent is fairly high but it's a really nice little complex and they do every screening possible so I'm one of the youngest in my community.

As far as the security deposit, it's usually a full months rent and you're gonna get that wherever you go. Just make sure you agree to what the deposit includes and doesn't include because I got screwed over at my last place with the term "normal wear"

$700/mo each isn't bad especially if your friend is covering all the utilities for you guys

Park Slope/Boerum Hill area I pay $1350 1 1/2 bedroom. One train stop away from Manhattan though.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Mr Fongstarr wrote:

Does that include utilities? Where is the location?

Yes and I have a fixed PG&E bill which is nice. I never have to worry about conserving electricity and I can leave the heat on all day long. And I live near Japantown area but I am on the Western Edition side on Fillmore. Good hub to get to all other districts by bus.

i mean first month rent and a security deposit equal to one month's rent is the standard

Lmao same boat; 1250 for a 1bdrm apt. I added up what I've paid in rent the last fours years a few months ago and realized I could've bought a 3-4bdrm in sac hahaha. But living walking distance from two beaches is
pimp.gif
I love sfc

$895/month including utilities for a studio with two parking spots and a private pathway/back yard. I work right across the street and I still drive to work
laugh.gif

(East) San Jose, CA

$275/mo = ALL utilities included + free food from landlord & his wife.

If you're wondering why it's so cheap, lets just say it comes unexpected with all the murders, stabbings, robberies and chases that've been going around recently.

$800 around Downtown/USC area

would not live anywhere else..... except if I move into a house

Originally Posted by wcghost

(East) San Jose, CA

If you're wondering why it's so cheap, lets just say it comes unexpected with all the murders, stabbings, robberies and chases that've been going around recently.

Damn the rent. You get free food from the landlord?! I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

$0. I have a duplex. My tenant pays the full mortgage including tax and insurance.

My friend tried to pull that crap on me. Asked if I wanted to pay rent and live with him. Found out what he was asking for was almost his whole mortgage.

Originally Posted by wcghost

(East) San Jose, CA

Damn the rent. You get free food from the landlord?! I don't think I have ever heard of that.

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

$0. I have a duplex. My tenant pays the full mortgage including tax and insurance.

My friend tried to pull that crap on me. Asked if I wanted to pay rent and live with him. Found out what he was asking for was almost his whole mortgage.

If it helps, it's a 2 bedroom, full bath, dining room, kitchen (200sq ft), fully remodeled, backyard and all. 1800 sq ft each house. They pay 1k. My mortgage is only $800 and the escrow is 2 and change. 
Been thinking about moving into my garage and renting my house out.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom