NT is #POOR right now

Originally Posted by Method Man

We're still working through a few issues related to Wednesday morning's hosting change.

Although the new setup, which relies on Amazon cloud hosting, outclasses the old, outdated configuration in every way, it's a very different environment.  Moving from one to the other is not as simple as merely running the same program on a more powerful computer.  It'll take some time to work through the remaining transition problems, but we're willing to exchange a little short-term pain for a lot of long-term gains. 

As you can see, progress is being made. Yesterday, the board's performance was far worse than it is now. Hopefully the image issue will be resolved shortly and the team will continue to add capacity to improve performance.

Ultimately, we'll deliver a faster, more reliable experience through the new hosting platform.

In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's patience.
So new technology, and a faster/reliable experience and the same old 150k avy limit huh?

We're still working through a few issues related to Wednesday morning's hosting change.

Although the new setup, which relies on Amazon cloud hosting, outclasses the old, outdated configuration in every way, it's a very different environment.  Moving from one to the other is not as simple as merely running the same program on a more powerful computer.  It'll take some time to work through the remaining transition problems, but we're willing to exchange a little short-term pain for a lot of long-term gains. 

As you can see, progress is being made. Yesterday, the board's performance was far worse than it is now. Hopefully the image issue will be resolved shortly and the team will continue to add capacity to improve performance.

Ultimately, we'll deliver a faster, more reliable experience through the new hosting platform.

In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's patience.
So new technology, and a faster/reliable experience and the same old 150k avy limit huh?

mannnnnnnnnnn so happy this isn't me only me.

So all I gotta do is fix firefox and I'm gold again, sweeeeeeeet

and @ whyhellothere...who's that in your avy? I can't stop looking man

mannnnnnnnnnn so happy this isn't me only me.

So all I gotta do is fix firefox and I'm gold again, sweeeeeeeet

and @ whyhellothere...who's that in your avy? I can't stop looking man

I'm just glad Meth hit us up with an update, it's good that things are still being worked on.

If it was stuck like this forever I'd start freaking out
laugh.gif

I'm just glad Meth hit us up with an update, it's good that things are still being worked on.

If it was stuck like this forever I'd start freaking out
laugh.gif

That doesn't change downstream bandwidth limitations.  
There's no reason why somebody with a cell phone or a non-broadband connection needs to load somebody's stupid 500kb 3 second loop of an old video everyone's already seen a million times.  

Imagine if everyone's car had a blinking neon license plate holder.  You might think it looks cool on your own car if you're 16, but when half the cars on the road have them it just becomes an annoyance for everyone.  

Big avatars are fun for about 10 seconds.  

That doesn't change downstream bandwidth limitations.  
There's no reason why somebody with a cell phone or a non-broadband connection needs to load somebody's stupid 500kb 3 second loop of an old video everyone's already seen a million times.  

Imagine if everyone's car had a blinking neon license plate holder.  You might think it looks cool on your own car if you're 16, but when half the cars on the road have them it just becomes an annoyance for everyone.  

Big avatars are fun for about 10 seconds.  

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

May I have my avy priviledges back? I realized my avy had been over the limit, and it was never my intent to put an undue extra burden on the servers by doing so, so I have rectified and made an avy that fits. I appreciate it, and the work that goes in.

no you didnt its 5x over the limit, quit slowing down my internet speed

49836ccc675db62a9377884eaffa4e948b7407a3.gif

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

May I have my avy priviledges back? I realized my avy had been over the limit, and it was never my intent to put an undue extra burden on the servers by doing so, so I have rectified and made an avy that fits. I appreciate it, and the work that goes in.

no you didnt its 5x over the limit, quit slowing down my internet speed

49836ccc675db62a9377884eaffa4e948b7407a3.gif

Method Man aced the analogy portion of the SATs. Props.
And I'm guessing you struggled with the math portion.   
Your avy's more than five times over the limit.  Clock's ticking.

smileys not workin for me

As you can imagine, Yuku's hosting literally millions of images, so it'll take some time for all of them to be restored.  Avys were their first priority.  I made sure they realized that our banner was also a very high priority.  I'm hoping some of the legacy system images (the original ezboard emoticon set, the lock image, etc.) will make their return soon.  
In the meantime, if you use the full post editor instead of the quick reply box, you can add emoticons by clicking the images beneath the post composition area.

Well done Meth. I concur. The temporary sacrifice will be worth it.

Thanks.  
The site is already starting to perform better as additional capacity comes online.  Any NT regular has no doubt run into blank white screens due to incomplete page loads over the last few years.  The new setup should virtually eliminate that occurrence - and also counteract the impact of traffic spikes.  After a major news story breaks or during a big game, NT has traditionally ground to a halt.  With the auto-scaling setup in place, the system will automatically compensate.  There are limits, of course, and it can take a few minutes to kick in, but it should make for a faster, more reliable experience moving forward. 

Like you, I wish the transition had gone smoother.  Although we knew this was coming, the downtime window was arranged without my knowledge and, trust me, they have been made amply aware of my displeasure with that lapse.  

You guys deserve a heads up in the event of scheduled maintenance.  We don't want to have our members (and staff members) sitting around mashing the refresh button without effect.  You deserve better than that and I regret that we couldn't inform you of the outage in advance.  

Fortunately, the worst seems to be over.  The team will be hard at work ironing out the remaining issues and then we hope to move on to many other upgrades in the weeks and months ahead.  

smileys not workin for me

As you can imagine, Yuku's hosting literally millions of images, so it'll take some time for all of them to be restored.  Avys were their first priority.  I made sure they realized that our banner was also a very high priority.  I'm hoping some of the legacy system images (the original ezboard emoticon set, the lock image, etc.) will make their return soon.  
In the meantime, if you use the full post editor instead of the quick reply box, you can add emoticons by clicking the images beneath the post composition area.

Well done Meth. I concur. The temporary sacrifice will be worth it.

Thanks.  
The site is already starting to perform better as additional capacity comes online.  Any NT regular has no doubt run into blank white screens due to incomplete page loads over the last few years.  The new setup should virtually eliminate that occurrence - and also counteract the impact of traffic spikes.  After a major news story breaks or during a big game, NT has traditionally ground to a halt.  With the auto-scaling setup in place, the system will automatically compensate.  There are limits, of course, and it can take a few minutes to kick in, but it should make for a faster, more reliable experience moving forward. 

Like you, I wish the transition had gone smoother.  Although we knew this was coming, the downtime window was arranged without my knowledge and, trust me, they have been made amply aware of my displeasure with that lapse.  

You guys deserve a heads up in the event of scheduled maintenance.  We don't want to have our members (and staff members) sitting around mashing the refresh button without effect.  You deserve better than that and I regret that we couldn't inform you of the outage in advance.  

Fortunately, the worst seems to be over.  The team will be hard at work ironing out the remaining issues and then we hope to move on to many other upgrades in the weeks and months ahead.  

Brutal. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for the apology. NT outage made me tweet! The horror! The horror! 

Back
Top Bottom