NT started the "bred" nickname? VOL. Shout outs

Haha cuz they match the color they should ALWAYS be called that?

Oh ish man

I better go put on my HORNETS 5s
if you look up why grapes exist in da first place it was because hornets were an expansion team that year and nike

churned out that colorway cuz da hornets colorways became wild popular.

The team received attention when it chose teal as its primary color, setting off a sports fashion craze in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with many pro and amateur clubs soon following with teal in their color schemes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Pelicans

Last edited:
but ironically, is not used when referring to the Air Jordan 12 the nickname originally derived from.
Everyone calls them "bred XIIs" though

I don't really sweat anyone who wants to use these nicknames, but "Cherry" and "Candy cane" are the worst.

Last edited:
nthat.gif

Don't go in the JB forum calling all these nicknamese "stupid". Sheep get really angry.

I'm ok with certain nicknames but some are just forced nowadays and some are pushed by Nike/JB to sneaker blogs... *cough* Joker III's *cough*.

Black Toe 1's
True Blue III's
Mocha III's
Cement IV's
Fire Red V's
Olympic VI's
Maroon VI's
Carmine VI's
Hare VII's
Olympic VII's
Playoff VIII's
Aqua VIII's
Olive IX's
Charcoal IX's
Steel X's
Shadow X's
Space Jam XI's
Concord XI's
Cool Grey XI's
Playoff XII
Obsidian XII
Playoff XIII
Flint XIII
Black Toe XIV
Last Shots
Oxy XIV

All simple nicknames bred from a color way in he shoe or something else that made that shoe memorable. Not a fan of the "Raptor' nickname but I get it. However "He got games", cringe, "black tongue V's, cringe. Very forced and unnecessary.

Dude, the whole nickname things are so lame. Unless there was an inspiration behind it, then i understand i.e., last shots, playoffs, spacejams. Honestly, I never heard the term 'bred' sometime til few years ago, I'm guessing around the CDP XI. Back then I would refer them to the main color or white/red, blk/red, etc.. All the nicknames like 'he got games', 'bugs bunny', 'boy meets world' :lol: are obviously from the new wave of hypebeasts.

Black tongue Vs are fine -they're the only Vs that have a black tongue so everyone immediately knows which pair you're referring to.

Last edited:
jordan VIII's been called da bugs bunnies since 93

and if anyone asks...

only da VII's in 1 colorway are da hares..

Hare+Jordan.jpg

The bred nickname has always caught me off guard especially when pertaining to the IV's. I've always known them as black cement IV's and always will. And as for the infamous raptor nickname it's not that bad. I personally call them the charcoals

Yes man, i was alive at that point and know all about the colorway and why it came out.

But just because something matches a shoes colors n gets popular, doesnt mean it "ALWAYS" is why they hould be called that, as dude was implying.

Ok and if u wanna get real technical, i guess ill just go put on my FALCONS 9s! The white and black ones! Oh they match perfect with a falcons jersey. . That better analogy mr wanna be wiseguy? Those 9s didnt have anything to do with the falcons now did they?

But they matched perfect and when they retroed in 2002/3, dudes ALWAYS rocked them with a vick jersey. For that reason they should ALWAYS be called the falcons 9s.....

Exact same statement as dude made bout raptors, just flipped.

Sound like a good enuf reason to still call em that?

^^ when you google raptor and da 1st thing that comes up is "raptor 7s" you know da train has left da station a LONG time ago...

We say the black/red 11's round my way.. Never liked how Breds sound.
Still dope NT got the shot out

Last edited:
Dudes is that tight over nicknames? Just call em whatever the $%#& you want :lol:

Ninjahood is on a roll though.

Last edited:
Haha cuz they match the color they should ALWAYS be called that?

Oh ish man

I better go put on my HORNETS 5s

That's not the point. :lol:

For people who have been around shoes for more than 5 years when the VIIs retroed during the jersey era that nickname came around. Before that they didn't really have a true nickname worth sticking so that name has been around damn near forever now to most of the older dudes on here.

Calling them Raptors isn't because it matches the team colors, it's because that nickname has stuck to them since the first retro during THAT era, is that so hard to comprehend? It's not just about matching team colors kid. :lol:

Yes man, i was alive at that point and know all about the colorway and why it came out.

But just because something matches a shoes colors n gets popular, doesnt mean it "ALWAYS" is why they hould be called that, as dude was implying.

Ok and if u wanna get real technical, i guess ill just go put on my FALCONS 9s! The white and black ones! Oh they match perfect with a falcons jersey. . That better analogy mr wanna be wiseguy? Those 9s didnt have anything to do with the falcons now did they?

But they matched perfect and when they retroed in 2002/3, dudes ALWAYS rocked them with a vick jersey. For that reason they should ALWAYS be called the falcons 9s.....

Exact same statement as dude made bout raptors, just flipped.

Sound like a good enuf reason to still call em that?

They haven't been called Falcons ever though like how Raptors have. :lol:

I don't give a damn what OGs, newbs, lames, hypebeast or whatever the hell want to call a shoe, but at least make sense when trying to make a point.

I dont get why people get worked up over the nicknames. Its to the point where I see people saying "DONT CALL THEM BREDS" or putting the nicknames in quotes. You arent doing anything wrong man, theyre Grape 5s and have been called that for almost a decade.

laugh.gif
@ all the Raptor 7 hate

Last edited:
Came in here expecting "Yeah kuz NT started everything" but we actually started it? Thats pretty cool esp how its used worldwide now.

Back
Top Bottom