NT verdict Dunk or Hard Lay-up

Originally Posted by Big J 33

This is related to the whole "dunked on" or "dunked by" nonsense.

If you go up, and THROW the ball downward, whether you touch the rim or not, that's a dunk to me. The act of the dunk doesn't need the rim in my mind, if you're that high and can throw it down, it's all the same.

Also, for the record, if you contest a dunk and are trying to block it, regardless of whether the dunker gets his whole body on you, that's getting dunked on in my mind. I don't believe in the whole "dunked by", that's just something people say to save face for when their player gets dunked on. You go for the block, don't get it, that means you get dunked on.

This x 10. Dudes always say I dunked by them. Naw *!#$! you tried to run out the way and I caught you.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

This is related to the whole "dunked on" or "dunked by" nonsense.

If you go up, and THROW the ball downward, whether you touch the rim or not, that's a dunk to me. The act of the dunk doesn't need the rim in my mind, if you're that high and can throw it down, it's all the same.

Also, for the record, if you contest a dunk and are trying to block it, regardless of whether the dunker gets his whole body on you, that's getting dunked on in my mind. I don't believe in the whole "dunked by", that's just something people say to save face for when their player gets dunked on. You go for the block, don't get it, that means you get dunked on.

This x 10. Dudes always say I dunked by them. Naw *!#$! you tried to run out the way and I caught you.

none of those are dunks... and yes i prefer dunks... the only layups i like are floaters really

none of those are dunks... and yes i prefer dunks... the only layups i like are floaters really

A dunk, to me, is a shot where you propel the ball in a downward motion to score. If you're in a position to do that, 99.99% of the time you're gonna make contact with the rim. A lay-up is propelling the ball in an upwards motion.

A dunk, to me, is a shot where you propel the ball in a downward motion to score. If you're in a position to do that, 99.99% of the time you're gonna make contact with the rim. A lay-up is propelling the ball in an upwards motion.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

So by some of your standards a player does not need to touch the rim to call it a dunk? Really?

So in a "Dunk Contest" like, say, All-Star Weekend we could potentially see a "dunk" from the 3-point line and y'all would be impressed so long as the contestant is:

1.) Above the rim

2.) Hand is motioning downward, and

3.) Makes the shot

Sorry, but if a player is not touching the rim I don't count it as a dunk nor do I see it as entertaining as an actual dunk.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

So by some of your standards a player does not need to touch the rim to call it a dunk? Really?

So in a "Dunk Contest" like, say, All-Star Weekend we could potentially see a "dunk" from the 3-point line and y'all would be impressed so long as the contestant is:

1.) Above the rim

2.) Hand is motioning downward, and

3.) Makes the shot

Sorry, but if a player is not touching the rim I don't count it as a dunk nor do I see it as entertaining as an actual dunk.

Because NOBODY is dunking from the three point line. A dunk, by definition, is a play where the ball is propelled in a downward motion. Contact with the rim is a non-factor. The natural motion of the shot lends itself to contact with the rim, but it's not required.

Because NOBODY is dunking from the three point line. A dunk, by definition, is a play where the ball is propelled in a downward motion. Contact with the rim is a non-factor. The natural motion of the shot lends itself to contact with the rim, but it's not required.

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

I don't really care. All I know is whenever it happens, there's usually a lot of force involved throwing the ball through the hoop like that, and I'm entertained either way.

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

I don't really care. All I know is whenever it happens, there's usually a lot of force involved throwing the ball through the hoop like that, and I'm entertained either way.

First off it's called a flush. Flush= Dunk without touching rim. It's a dunk, no debate about it.

Back
Top Bottom