NT, What are the health issues from hookah

Me and my friends have been smoking hookah for the past year now, and i was just wondering if i should stop?

i heard that too

IMO hookah is stupid, just for the flavor and supposedly you get light headed?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

happy reading

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

i read that it's actually worst than smoking a cig
Yup thats what its lookin like..
[h4]Hookah smoking: Is it safer than cigarettes?[/h4] [h2]Is hookah smoking safer than cigarettes? I've been told that the water used in the hookah makes the tobacco less toxic.[/h2] [h2]Answer[/h2] [h5]from Edward C. Rosenow III, M.D.[/h5]
It's a myth that hookah smoking is safer than smoking cigarettes. The tobacco is no less toxic. Hookah smokers actually inhale more tobacco smoke than do cigarette smokers because of the massive volume of smoke they inhale.

Hookah - also called narghile, shisha and goza - is a water pipe. The device has been used for centuries in the Middle East and Asia to smoke tobacco. Now, hookah bars and cafes are popping up across the United States - fueled by the growing popularity of hookah smoking among teens and young adults.

The hookah device consists of four parts:
  • A base, or smoke chamber, which is partially filled with water
  • A bowl, which contains tobacco and the heating source
  • A pipe that connects the bowl to the base and dips into the water in the base
  • A hose, a second tube in the pipe that does not dip into the water but opens into air in the base and allows users to inhale the hookah smoke
When a smoker inhales through the tube, a pressure difference forces air past the heating source and heats the tobacco, which gives off smoke. The smoke is pulled away from the tobacco and passes through the water and into the smoke chamber - from which it is inhaled by the smoker.

Although many believe that the water in the hookah filters out all the "bad stuff" in the tobacco smoke, this isn't true. According to a World Health Organization advisory, a typical one-hour session of hookah smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette. Even after passing through water, tobacco smoke still contains high levels of toxic compounds, including carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens). Hookah smoking also delivers significant levels of nicotine - the addictive substance in tobacco.

The trend of hookah smoking has doctors and public health experts concerned because - despite claims to the contrary by many users - smoking from a hookah is just as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.

Whatever tho, Me an some of my co-workers/friends supposed to bee hittin a hookah joint up thisweekend. I'm personally not a smoker but imma mess with it. Does anyone on here actually smoke hookah on the daily?

Originally Posted by The Genesis

[h4]Hookah smoking: Is it safer than cigarettes?[/h4] [h2]Is hookah smoking safer than cigarettes? I've been told that the water used in the hookah makes the tobacco less toxic.[/h2] [h2]Answer[/h2] [h5]from Edward C. Rosenow III, M.D.[/h5]
It's a myth that hookah smoking is safer than smoking cigarettes. The tobacco is no less toxic. Hookah smokers actually inhale more tobacco smoke than do cigarette smokers because of the massive volume of smoke they inhale.

Hookah - also called narghile, shisha and goza - is a water pipe. The device has been used for centuries in the Middle East and Asia to smoke tobacco. Now, hookah bars and cafes are popping up across the United States - fueled by the growing popularity of hookah smoking among teens and young adults.

• A hose, a second tube in the pipe that does not dip into the water but opens into air in the base and allows users to inhale the hookah smoke
When a smoker inhales through the tube, a pressure difference forces air past the heating source and heats the tobacco, which gives off smoke. The smoke is pulled away from the tobacco and passes through the water and into the smoke chamber - from which it is inhaled by the smoker.

Although many believe that the water in the hookah filters out all the "bad stuff" in the tobacco smoke, this isn't true. According to a World Health Organization advisory, a typical one-hour session of hookah smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette. Even after passing through water, tobacco smoke still contains high levels of toxic compounds, including carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens). Hookah smoking also delivers significant levels of nicotine - the addictive substance in tobacco.

The trend of hookah smoking has doctors and public health experts concerned because - despite claims to the contrary by many users - smoking from a hookah is just as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.

Whatever tho, Me an some of my co-workers/friends supposed to bee hittin a hookah joint up this weekend. I'm personally not a smoker but imma mess with it. Does anyone on here actually smoke hookah on the daily?

Maybe I should have jus done that ^ instead
laugh.gif

I know some ppl who have hookahs themselves and they've told me they only use it when they have guests rollthrough. It's just a party/kick-it thing

My friends are big with the hookah and I might be going to my friend's house and we might smoke a little. I don't mind doing it once.

My friend recently gave me a miniature Hookah. I'm trying to figure out how to smoke out of it; I think it might be just a novelty piece.
laugh.gif

Can't you smoke like fruits or something? Like you don't necessarily have to smoke tobacco at the bars. Idk I heard something like that.

Smoking in general needs to be done in moderation. I used to smoke ganja, hookah, and the occasional cig. Now I have a lesion in one of my lungs. I'mnot saying don't smoke because there are other more dangerous things that people do, but just be careful.

On a sidenote: UT student, Rockets fan, AND on NT? I must know you.

laugh.gif
...just smoke a blunt for cryin out loud...I never understood the appeal of that nonsense

Originally Posted by theUisinthebuildin

Smoking in general needs to be done in moderation. I used to smoke ganja, hookah, and the occasional cig. Now I have a lesion in one of my lungs. I'm not saying don't smoke because there are other more dangerous things that people do, but just be careful.

On a sidenote: UT student, Rockets fan, AND on NT? I must know you.
wow im gonna slow down a little bit.. but ya im a UT student. but i was at UTSA last year. i got capped

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

Whatever you do.. DONT ZERO YOUR HITS!!!!!!!!

My friends and I were smoking hookah and my friend Shane goes "yo I'm gonna zero this #*$$ and get mad light headed". He takes the biggest hookah hit I've ever seen sucking mad hard and keeping all the smoke in. Next thing you know his eyes roll back in his head and he falls head first onto the hookah. All my friends were dying laughing at first thinking he was joking but when we realized he was serious we all rushed to pick him up off the ground and brush the sparks from the coal off his clothes. He was like wth is going on when we picked him up because he BLACKED OUT for about 10 seconds. HE WAS CHOKED OUT BY A HOOKAH, basically. The hookah coal burnt a hole through his brand new yankees fitted he just got that day. If he wasn't wearing the hat he would've f'd his head up
laugh.gif

It was pretty messed up at the time but looking back now. Straight
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by The Genesis

Whatever tho, Me an some of my co-workers/friends supposed to bee hittin a hookah joint up this weekend. I'm personally not a smoker but imma mess with it. Does anyone on here actually smoke hookah on the daily?

i dont agree with that "Study" or w/e it is. The bottom line is......the chemicals in cigs are a lot more toxic and u tend to smoke cigs morefrequently than u would a hookah. even though i own a hooka...i can't bust one out every chance I get. U don't get addicted to hookah either. Thetobacco in hookah is just tobacco leaves and flavoring syrup...now go look at the contents in cigs.

Back
Top Bottom