"NYC ain't ready for the iPhone" - Says AT&T Update: AT&T Fixed

[h2]'New York Is Not Ready for the iPhone'[/h2]
  • 12/28/09 at 11:52 AM

20090719_iphone_146x97.jpg

AT&T customer-service representatives are telling callers that the Apple iPhone is not being sold online in New York City, and that this is a purposeful strategy to deal with coverage overload. According to the blog Consumerist (and we've double checked a bunch of city zip codes), you can no longer find an iPhone to buy through the AT&T website within city limits. Last night, a sales rep told a caller that "the phone is not offered" to city residents anymore because "New York is not ready for the iPhone." There aren't enough towers, according to the rep, to handle the phone here. Consumerist asked AT&T corporate about the policy, and the only response they got was: "We periodically modify our promotions and distribution channels." We'd urge you all not to panic, but those of you with iPhones already are probably pleased with this development - it likely means there will be less burden on the network, and your phone is suddenly exclusive again! And to those of you who don't yet have iPhones, well, now you have an excuse.

AT&T Customer Service: "New York City Is Not Ready For The iPhone" [Consumerist]

UPDATE: It appears that the restriction on ordering iPhones online for New York ZIP codes has been lifted just as mysteriously as it appeared this past weekend. We tried a few ZIP codes ourselves just to be sure, and we weren't able to get the warning that was being generated earlier today.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/12/att-dancing-around-mysterious-new-york-iphone-issue.ars

Wow.

This makes me believe they will actually try that stupid idea to charge people for their amount of data usage instead of having an unlimited data plan.

Looks like I'll have to switch to Verizon.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Wow.

This makes me believe they will actually try that stupid idea to charge people for their amount of data usage instead of having an unlimited data plan.

Looks like I'll have to switch to Verizon.

The reason they might do that is because only a minority of people with unlimited data plans are actually using the majority of the network and clogging it upfor everyone. Not sure if I worded that correctly.

Originally Posted by NationalTruckerDave

Originally Posted by Diego

Cali>NY
tired.gif

what a new yorker you are
grin.gif

Its jokes fam.
You already know that all these west coast cats is going to celebrate this info with pages full of "Cali>NY".
Im just tryin to beat them to the punch.

any network that would have had the iphone would have this happen to them, you must not understand the amount of data the iphone uses. its not well managedlike a blackberry.

Originally Posted by Late80s

any network that would have had the iphone would have this happen to them, you must not understand the amount of data the iphone uses. its not well managed like a blackberry.

then put the money up and fix the network....guarentee this would have never happened on verizon...but the damage is already done...people are not dumb and ATThas never denied their 3g coverage is whats on that map..instead they go on about how u can talk/use data at the same time and how their network is 3 secondsfaster to load a page than verizons...but what good is that if the network hardly has coverage.....as soon as the iphone goes to a different US carrier youwill see a bigger subscriber loss than sprints

I noticed that recently too when I was trying to get an iphone for someone, I'm in NYC....I just went through the apple website instead no problem. ButAT&T is really losing it.

Back
Top Bottom