OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Manny & McCourt meeting at the ravine this morning to get everything settled, once thats done Manny takes his physical and gets on a plane to SpringTraining
pimp.gif

Sinser the rotation is lookin a little iffy
frown.gif

Bills
Kershaw
Kuroda
Wolf
and id imagine a battle between: estes, schmidt, Jmac, etc

I'm starting to feel better about the rotation.

It's not the best rotation in the league at all but I have a good feeling Kershaw is gonna become a star and we'll have two young aces at the top ofthe rotation.

Kershaw and Bills in a couple of years going 1-2 in a playoff series is gonna be nice.

yeah, i agree.

but the team we have in place now is ready to win now.

i'd imagine once this manny situation is finalized, ned will focus on another pitcher and a lefty reliever.

so many bargains are still out there.

Its funny how we always had the pitching and the giants had the bats and now its the other way around.

I was at that Dodgers/Giants game 5th row right behind the Giants dugout.
The Ravine was ROCKIN' that day.
The whole place was chanting "Hee Seop Choi! Hee Seop Choi"
laugh.gif

I'll try to find some pics.

-J-

i think ironman is still there.
I got back late Monday night,
smokin.gif
. It is good to be back inLos Angeles.

Late last night I tried to make a post about my experience there and upload pics, but my SD card reader wasn't functioning so I got frustrated and turnedoff my CPU
laugh.gif
. I will upload pics later (I didnt take any from the game,on the field "working").

It was a great experience, the complex is huge, good thing I had a golf cart. The first day we walked the entire complex, I was gassed after that. I know itwasn't extremely hot, and there was a breeze on Sunday, but that Arizona sun just beats on you. I could see how some fans got heat stroke, there is nodamn shade anywhere (for the record it is because the trees are newly planted and they haven't grown in yet).

The girls in Az
smokin.gif
, place looks like Fontana, but the girls are better
laugh.gif

I didn't get a chance to leave Glendale though, since it was a breakfast-work-dinner type deal and we would go back to our room just to chill. Dinnerswere dope though, with our VP and on Sunday had dinner with Jaime Jarrin (
eek.gif
-
smokin.gif
). Normally that would suck, but when the boss is picking upthe tab, I am not complaining.

Heading back on the weekend of the 14th-15th.

I will upload pics of the complex later.

Moving on.....

Manny is finally signed
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

On Saturday it was looking grim. There were grumblings that the Dodgers were moving on, had me with this face
frown.gif
. McCourt and other higher ups arrived at Camelback on Saturday (after the"start from scratch" statement) and they had a meeting in one of the conference rooms from 9am to about 4pm. Baseball ops was in the room, so I knowthey were discussing moving on, so today's announcement was a big sigh of relief.

Overall it was a fun experience and a great learning experience too.

Ironman where's our surprise PM?? I'm gettin impatient. Also, since the money is deferred, any chance of gettin pedro?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Ironman where's our surprise PM?? I'm gettin impatient. Also, since the money is deferred, any chance of gettin pedro?
smile.gif
It's not deferred anymore, which is why Manny signed. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

smile.gif
It's not deferred anymore, which is why Manny signed. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Taken from ESPN.

According to MLB.com, $25 million of the contract is deferred over five years and Ramirez has the right to opt out of the deal after one year. According to TheAssociated Press, Ramirez has full no-trade protection.

I just read the article on espn and it said its deferred over 5 years (unless they're still talking about the previous offer). I could be wrong tho,I'm on my phone so can't really look up many other resources

Next up: Starting Pitcher and a lefty reliever
pimp.gif

Here's a good read:

[table][tr][td]Grading The Deal: Manny And The Dodgers Together Again[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3rd March, 2009 - 11:43 pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Christopher Reina/RealGM - Well, that was a fun four months. Manny Ramirez didn't receive a single offer from a single other team, but still agreed to a two-year, $45 million deal from the Dodgers.

The Dodgers and Manny clearly needed each other like the Beckhams need each other.

Manny will not have an OPS of 1.232 like he had in August and September and he probably won't move as many dreadlock units, but he does three crucial things to make this move an outright success for Los Angeles.

1. Hits as well as any cleanup hitter in the game and fills a slot in the outfield that would have otherwise been filled by the sub-.700 OPS Juan Pierre.

2. Impacts batters before and after him in a way that only Pujols can match. I would knock down the projected OPS of the third and fifth place hitters by at least .30 points.

3. Manny makes the Dodgers relevant in a place where relevance counts far more than it does in a place like St. Louis.

Ramirez will be 37 in 2009 for all intents and purposes and there have only been 16 seasons on record in which a player has hit for an OPS over 1.000 at 37 or older. Four of those belong to Barry Bonds, four to Ted Williams, two to Babe Ruth, two to Hank Aaron with Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Edgar Martinez and Larry Walker holding the other four.

There have only been 39 seasons in which a player 37 or older has even hit for an OPS above .900.

He was ranked 13th in season FIC (7th amongst hitters) and he 'deserved' a salary of $16M, giving him a Reina Value of -15%.

At the beginning of free agency, I thought a four-year, $100M contract would be a fair deal for both sides. That projection of course was of target considerably as the big Edgar Renteria contracts dried up and Bobby Abreu somehow became a $5M player.

The biggest upside for the Dodgers? They signed Andruw Jones to a two-year deal last year for just $8.8M less than this one.

The biggest upside for Manny? He was able to skip out on the early part of Spring Training.. Wait, he would have done that anyways.

Grade for the Dodgers: A-[/td] [/tr][/table]

Btw, welcome back ironman.

All we've been doing is discussing seafood at Redondo or San Pedro here
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Get those pics up though.

Now that you bring up Fontucky, I now can imagine how Glendale, AZ looks
sick.gif

You guys think now that the Manny business is done, we're gonna get another starter and a lefty reliever?

I really think that's all we're missing.

What kind of money is Beimel asking for?

Or is he still salty about how Joe Torre utilizes his relieve pitchers, in certain situations.

Beimel and Ohman aint getting nothing more than a 1yr $1M-1.5M deal.

Also, Manny is gonna be with the boys for Spring Training, such a positive! I don't expect him to go out of his way and mentor the dudes, but he'llprobably do a better job than Jeff Kent did.

There is a good article in the current issue of Sports Illustrated about the Dodgers move to Los Angeles.

Also, this is a good segment:

Back
Top Bottom