***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

smh.gif
@ not sweeping the lamest team in the A.L.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

smh.gif
@ not sweeping the lamest team in the A.L.

Look on the bright side.....at least out pitching still looked good...........If colby would have been playing the ball like a pro instead of a 1st time littleleague started, they wouldnt have scored that 3rd run.

We almost had it, but of course Duncan is on a cool streak at the wrong time. They walked albert 2-3 times today, and nothing came of it (Basically we needludwick back)

Make the hurting stop!!
When is Ramirez coming back? I miss DeRosa so much, we sure could use him now.

Damn....another 1-0 loss to the brewers.....ludwick needs to come back asap.

Carpenter and gallardo with excellent games today......carp took a perfect game into the 7th and ended up with zeros across the board....cept for the 2 hits.

Brewers won the game because of an error.....no eaarned runs in this game today is crazy.

Carp is looking like a cy young winner with no run backup......I love it!!!!!!

What the *!@$! Looks like our offense took the holiday weekend off
smh.gif
2 losses in a row, Brewers are probably going to sweep us again.

Man. 8 straight losses. I'm at a loss for words. Minus last night's game the bats have been dormant. And thats putting it lightly.

The Brew Crew keeps cruisin'. Even my Brewer buddies are baffled - lol. Will it keep up? Who knows - but its still impressive. And they look like geniusesnow with the Hoffman pick-up.

Hello gentlemen, let me preface this by saying that Comcast sucks as I've been without internet for over a week now. Thank god for local libraries.

The Cubs suck, and there is not much doubt in my mind that the season is over. We never should've traded DeRosa, Bradley is a bum, Fontenot is a bum,Sotois a bum, I miss Aramis, and the offense as a whole is a bum. Oh, and the pitching....all bums as well.....maybe minus Wells. I seriously don't seeMilwaukee or St.Louis going on a losing streak like this. I mean, eight games !?!!? EIGHT games?? Are you serious? I mean, what the bloody hell is going on????I'm not sure I've ever seen a team wide slump like this from a supposed "good team." I can't take this *$$++%%%, instead i divert myattention to the freakin Orlando Magic and Denver Nuggets...oy vey

Pray for me people......hope everyone is well.

Until next time.

W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally some runs......Another great pitched game by Adam who finally gets a well deserved win.

jg7ovazh.jpg
[h3]Offense comes alive behind Wainwright[/h3]
Righty allows one run, hits homer; Cards add three shots

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Cardinals took out two weeks of offensive frustration on an old teammate.

Jeff Suppan, who stifled the St. Louis offense 10 days earlier at Busch Stadium, was on the receiving end of a thumping on Tuesday night as the Cards hammered the Brewers, 8-1, at Miller Park. The Cardinals had not scored more than five runs in a game since May 10, and had totaled 34 runs in their past 13 games.

"It was nice to finally give one of our starting pitchers a cushion," said leadoff man Skip Schumaker. "We haven't done that in a while."

Six different players drove in a run for the Cards, and four hit home runs. Nick Stavinoha's first career homer, a solo shot in the second inning, opened the scoring. Colby Rasmus and Adam Wainwright hit solo blasts in the fourth, and Chris Duncan added a two-run long ball in the sixth. Duncan had a big game in the No. 2 spot, adding a single and a walk while batting in front of Albert Pujols for the first time this year.

Manager Tony La Russa had moved Duncan from the cleanup position to the No. 2 hole in hopes of getting Duncan going. Whether that was the reason or not, Duncan enjoyed his best game in weeks.

"It can't hurt," Duncan said. "My first hit was on a 3-2 pitch that was a strike. My home run was on a fastball. It's definitely a good spot, having him behind you."

Pujols himself drove in two runs with a sacrifice fly and an RBI single, but was a small part of the outburst rather than a one-man band -- as he has been at times recently. Schumaker had three hits, No. 9 hitter Joe Thurston stanched a slump with a single, a double, a walk and three runs, and Duncan came a few feet from a second home run when he flied out deep to the track in right-center field.

It was a gracious plenty for Wainwright, who hasn't needed much help lately. He kept up the Cards' remarkable run of starting pitching with seven outstanding innings. Wainwright allowed a run on five hits, striking out nine and walking two. He got into trouble in the second inning but escaped, and minimized the damage of a potentially disastrous third, then cruised for the remainder of his outing.

It was the bottom of the third and the top of the fourth where the game was won. Milwaukee loaded the bases with no outs in the third on a single, a walk and a hit batter. Prince Fielder got the Brewers on the board with an RBI groundout, but that was all Milwaukee could muster. Wainwright induced a popup from Mike Cameron and struck out Corey Hart, and that was the end of the trouble.

"That's probably the game right there," Wainwright said. "If they put up a big, crooked number right there, who knows who wins that game? I just told myself I've got to get outs."

Coincidentally or not, it was right after that when the Cardinals broke out at the plate.

The first batter after Wainwright's escape was Rasmus, and the rookie got the run back with a single swing, drilling a home run to center field. Two batters later, Wainwright followed suit and it was 4-1. A Thurston two-out double and a Schumaker RBI single made it 5-1, and the Redbirds never looked back.

Once he had a cushion, Wainwright locked in. He allowed only three more baserunners over his next four innings, and finished with a career-high nine strikeouts.

"That just shows you how good a pitcher Wainwright is," Duncan said. "To turn that into only one run is pretty impressive. And the way he pitched after we got him the lead was unbelievable."

Over his past three starts, Wainwright has allowed three runs on 12 hits in 23 2/3 innings, with 23 strikeouts and five walks. He has lowered his ERA from 4.35 to 3.18 in that span. Meanwhile, in the past eight games, Cardinals starters have gone 6-1 with a 0.77 ERA, 47 strikeouts and eight walks. Only once in that span has a Cards starter allowed more than one run, and no member of the rotation has allowed a homer since May 18.

The win was the Cardinals' first against the Brewers in five meetings this year. They pulled back into a first-place tie with Milwaukee atop the National League Central division.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

It's about damn time our bats showed up. Looks like Wainwright has got some of that confidence back. Todd Wellemeyer and Jason LaRue areteaming back up today, I wonder if it really does give Todd an edge.

5 inning win? I'll take it! Anything to stop the skid....

Lots of early action today. Brew Crew/STL and Bucs/Cubbies. Go Big Z! hope the rain holds out till after the game, which it looks like it should.

Arstyle, no worries man - its only May. The Brewers pitching can't sustain this momentum...and you know Hoffman is ready for a DL stint come June or July!

When this team gets back to 100% then I'll have an idea on where we stand in the division.

As far as Lee goes, I think his starting job is in serious trouble. Micah continues to impress me.

Neal Cotts has got to go. Not no minor league stint, gone and banished from baseball period.

Yeah, Lee is killin me right now. Either go on the DL or get in the lineup every day damn it.

Zambrano.
roll.gif

He'll miss at least one start for all that.

I don't know what he is complaining about; the home plate umpire has been giving him borderline strike calls all day.

the umpire went into zambrano first looking for some contact...sort of like that stupid pump fake foul they always call in basketball

he had him though...

Back
Top Bottom