...::::Official 2010 MLB N.L. Central Thread::::...

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Nobody was talking to you.

No one had to be.

I wasn't trying to come off rude, I have always respected the Reds fans on this board. jdcurt2 was talking big #+$% about the Cards last season and dissapeared faster than your team come the end of the season. I just was curious if he will stick around this season, especially since the race is so close.

It's going to be a great race down the stretch.. I doubt any Reds fans disappear as we'll be in it to the end.

Don't worry FB, i'm not going anywhere. When did I run my mouth last year anyways? You might be thinking of that guy corwinator.
eyes.gif

About to watch the replay of the game.....watch this whippin they put on the reds.

Do other cities show the game in the evening also if it was played during the day?

Hopefully westbrook can get his first cardinals win this weekend.....he hasnt been bad, just the bullpen didnt back him up

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

Don't worry FB, i'm not going anywhere. When did I run my mouth last year anyways? You might be thinking of that guy corwinator.
eyes.gif
My apologies on the sn mix up, it was in fact corwinator3407

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Nobody was talking to you.

No one had to be.

I wasn't trying to come off rude, I have always respected the Reds fans on this board. jdcurt2 was talking big #+$% about the Cards last season and dissapeared faster than your team come the end of the season. I just was curious if he will stick around this season, especially since the race is so close.

No prob dude I was messing with you.

Seriously though, Brandon Phillips better raise his game to an all time high these next few months. He went what, 2-14 the past series?
laugh.gif

i can see losing 1-2 games to the Cars because they are a true World series contender. But the mental breakdowns throughout the series were crazy. Bronson giving up that grandslam Wednesday was icing on the cake.

Gotta do better.
Do other cities show the game in the evening also if it was played during the day?
Yeah.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Westbrook records first win as a Cardinal[/h3]

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

08/14/10 12:58 AM ET

ST. LOUIS -- Baseball has been an awful lot of fun for the Cardinals lately. On Friday, Jake Westbrook finally got to join the party.

Westbrook was credited with his first win as a Cardinal after pitching six solid innings in a 6-3 victory over the Cubs at Busch Stadium. He had pitched well in each of his first two appearances since being traded from Cleveland, but each time received a no-decision when the Cardinals were defeated.

This time he had more help. Despite surrendering a pair of first-inning runs, he had a lead by the third, and the bullpen held on over the final three frames to keep the Redbirds rolling. The Cards are 8-3 since acquiring Westbrook in the deal that sent Ryan Ludwick to San Diego, and 18-8 since the All-Star break.

"Any time you can get a 'W,' that's why you pitch, to win ballgames," Westbrook said. "But more important, the team won the ballgame. This is my third game, and it's the first team win we've had. That's what I want to be -- I want to be a part of team wins, whether they're mine or somebody else's."

Westbrook wasn't even hit all that hard in the first, but four straight hits led to two runs. With runners on second and third and one out, he made the stand of the game. He got Alfonso Soriano to ground out to the left side, followed by a flyout to left field from Darwin Barney.

Having escaped, his offense quickly got one of the runs back on an Albert Pujols home run, and the game suddenly had a different feeling than it had just a few minutes earlier.

"We had a chance there in the first inning to pick up a few more runs, and we stranded a couple with runners on second and third," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "We just didn't hold the game in check."

Let off the hook, Westbrook got rolling quickly. From the second through the sixth, he allowed only three more baserunners, one of them on a comebacker that hit him on his calf, one on a two-out walk and one on a two-out single. It was only due to a high pitch count that he was removed after six innings.

In three starts as a Cardinal, Westbrook has allowed five runs in 19 innings for a 2.37 ERA. He's struck out 19 against two walks, pitching every bit like the man St. Louis hoped it was getting at the non-waiver Trade Deadline.

"These sinkerballers, usually you get to them early in the game," Piniella said. "We had a chance there in the first inning to take a nice little lead -- which we did, two runs, but I mean more. And all of a sudden, his ball started to sink, and he got tough. He threw more breaking balls and a few more changeups than I have seen in the past. But he knows how to pitch."

On the offensive side, Pujols' solo shot may have been the most critical blow, but it was far from his only one. In fact, the slugger played a key role in three scoring innings. He singled with one out in the third, preceding a Matt Holliday RBI double and Yadier Molina's sacrifice fly, the latter swing giving St. Louis a lead it wouldn't relinquish.

Pujols led off the seventh with another single, and after a Holliday double, Molina added a second sac fly for some insurance. Pujols has scored at least one run in 11 consecutive games. He has eight multihit games and is batting .458 with six home runs in that span. That follows a tepid July that saw his season batting average drop, to .295.

"There's nothing different that I changed," Pujols said. "I'm just putting better swings [on the ball]. That's something that I do. I don't know. I can't put a finger on it. ... I think one thing I did is not get frustrated with myself, because I know I can play this game. I know I can hit. God gave me this blessing and the talent to play, and I know it's not going to go away so quick. [I'm] just being patient and [trying] to do whatever I can, every day."

The win allowed the Cardinals to stay one game ahead of the second-place Reds in the National League Central. Cincinnati beat Florida and ace Josh Johnson earlier in the evening. St. Louis has won four straight and six out of seven.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Great way to start the series, I don't see us winning today though. Zambrano has been a Cards killer his entire career
mad.gif
tired.gif

lost 2 in a row to the dang on cubs.....almost came back....too little too late tho.

They should just release Lohse....dude is garbage.

Cubs won 2 in a row against the Cardinals... almost makes me forget that the cubs have the 3rd worst record in the NL..... almost....

pimp.gif
First place again. This is going to back and forth for the rest of the season. This West Coast road trip is going to be brutal since we suck out west.

Losing 2 in a row 2 the Cubs is downright pathetic. Lohse has reached Isringhausen status with me, waive this piece of @!+* already
smh.gif

Reds have a real nice opportunity to take a strangle hold on this division with the way the Cards are playing

Can't take advantage of the Cardinals loss, losing to the D backs...
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

Wow, 4 run inning to tie it.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Great baseball. That suicide squeeze was a great play.

Masset in for the close instead of Cordero too. 3 game lead.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Great baseball. That suicide squeeze was a great play.

Masset in for the close instead of Cordero too. 3 game lead.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom