Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Congrats fellas.

smokin.gif

I know we usually think its an oxymoron up in these parts, but you are one classy Dodger fan.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

In conclusion,

My girlfriend surprised me with Club seats right next to the LF foul pole and to be part of a big game like that was the greatest birthday gift ever.  It was amazing to hear everyone constantly cheer for the team when they were making the final out of an inning or starting a Rally.  Rob Schneider was even there to hype up the crowd and it was hilarious.  One of my favorite moments, had to be Sanchez hitting the triple in the alley and the crowd chanting "Posey" after his HR.  Amazing experience that I will never forget.  The Giants can take care of Braves.  If they focus on getting hits instead of swinging for the fences, I believe they can do this! I was planning on taking photos, but let's be real I was hooked on to the game. Go GIANTS!

5052707130_2e6550568b.jpg

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

scooped up some left field reserves just now. never seen timmy pitch or been to a playoff game.
Never been to a baseball playoff game either. Can't wait.

Remember going to the very first playoff game at then Pacific Bell Park against the Mets in 2000, I will never forget the crowd atmosphere.

i think it'd be alright to have zito on the roster.  he's pitched pretty decent throughout the season, and you can't always count on the relievers to pitch more innings especially back-to-back.

YEA GIANTS ALL THE WAY

so anyways thursdays coming up..... Gigantes are favored to win.... Lincecum, as much as everyone wants to believe his hype, has not been pitching his best. And real Giants fans knows it too... for some reason he always gives up runs in his first 3 innings...... but then i dont understand how he can give up runs in the beginning of the game then shut em out 6 innings getting 10-11 K's a game.... WHAT A BEAST.... anyways long story short We are going against the Braves which has pretty much the same setup as us... solid bullpen solid batters and a sick rookie of the year Jason Heyward..... My friends a punk cuz he always says yea giants are the business but when it comes to games they gotta win they cant come thru.... Well that san diego game shut him up... But thats one game out of how many vs the padres.... Giants dont have too much playoff experience but if we can get thru this round of playoffs giants are going all the way....

Urban: Giants Seem Set on Excluding Zito from NLDS

Mychael Urban

CSNBayArea.com

The Giants' 25-man playoff roster needn't be submitted to Major League Baseball until Thursday morning, but manager Bruce Bochy provided some information Tuesday morning during an interview on KNBR, and it doubled as a magnifying glass with which anyone seeking answers can clearly read between the lines.
The biggest roster question, at least in terms of fan interest, regards Barry Zito. The oft-derided lefty with the $126 million contract laid a pair of eggs in his final regular season starts, including Saturday's booed-off-the-field fiasco against the Padres.

With that outing, everyone rightly assumed, Zito pitched himself out of the rotation for the playoffs. Bochy confirmed as much when he told KNBR that his Game 4 starter in the National League Division Series against the Braves will be either Tim Lincecum, on three days of rest, or rookie Madison Bumgarner.

The big question, of course, is whether that means Zito won't be on the NLDS roster at all.
Bochy wouldn't quite go there, but in explaining his reluctance to answer the big question by suggesting it wouldn't be fair to make such an announcement without speaking to the player first, he pretty much went there, right?

Nothing is official as of now, but the odds are heavily stacked against Zito.

The only use for him if he isn't starting would be as a long reliever, and the Giants have gone without a long reliever for most of the year. And they have a loaded 'pen as it is.

Also, Zito has pitched in relief just twice in his 11-year career -- his only outing this year was in that wild extra-innings affair against the Reds, and Zito gave up three hits in an inning and took the loss -- so his routine is ill-suited for emergency work, and he isn't exactly the strike-throwing machine that teams desperately need out of the bullpen in the playoffs.

It's safe to assume, then, that Zito is out. A bold move? Not really. It's about production right now.

--Mychael Urban

Anyone get NLCS tickets? My @*@! kept refreshing for half an hour before I finally gave up...

I went to the Braves website and they had a lot of tickets available. Hate living in such a hypebeast area.

Giants beat
Zito off roster for this series, source says

Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Giants this morning will announce a Division Series roster that does not include pitcher Barry Zito, the team's highest-paid player, a source said Wednesday night, several hours after manager Bruce Bochy said either Madison Bumgarner or Tim Lincecum would start a potential Game 4 in Atlanta.

Zito's exclusion is not surprising, given his performance in Saturday's possible division-clinching game against San Diego at AT&T Park. In a broader sense, this is stunning for a player who was given $126 million over seven years not only to pitch the Giants into the postseason, but also to be a face of the franchise in the post-Barry Bonds era.

After Wednesday's workout, Zito was ready to assign blame.

"I'm disappointed in myself for not cracking that rotation," he said.

After consecutive solid performances against Arizona, Los Angeles and Milwaukee in September, Zito seemed to have pitched himself into the postseason picture. Then, he was knocked out in the fifth inning of a 10-9 loss at Colorado on Sept. 25. Worse, he walked home two first-inning runs in Saturday's 4-2 loss to the Padres. The Giants won the West the next day behind Jonathan Sanchez.

"The last game is what sticks out," Zito said. "When the money was on the table, I didn't go out and attack the zone like I should have. Luckily, Sanchez picked me up the next day and we won the division."

Zito said he can help the Giants later in the postseason if needed, even in the bullpen. Though he was not happy with the news, he said, "I stand behind Bochy. He's the skipper."

Bochy said he discussed some roster decisions with players. Publicly, he confirmed only that outfielder Aaron Rowand will be one of the 25.

"The way we're setting up right now, I like him on the roster," Bochy said. "I know he hasn't gotten a lot of playing time, but he will help out."

Been there: The Giants might have as many as 10 players with postseason experience on their roster. That can be overrated. (See John Lackey and Francisco Rodriguez, 2002 World Series.)

Rowand won a World Series ring with a 2005 White Sox team full of newcomers.

"In '05, we didn't have a lot of playoff experience and we won the whole thing," he said. "In '07 (with Philadelphia), we had half a team with experience and we were out in three. It helps, but ultimately it comes down to how you're playing at the moment."

Smart move Bochy.

I actually like having Rowand on the roster. He's been a true professional with the benching and still works hard whenever he got the chance. I know he still sucks, but I don't mind him being there as a reserve. Zito on the other hand, I'm glad he's off the roster. $126 mill for 65 pitches last Saturday, is an automatic removal on the playoff roster.

Let's go Giants!

So basically you like Rowand because he has been a professional with his benching and he works hard. Im sorry, but this is the playoffs. You want your best 25 guys out there. What role is he gonna play? Which of the following players will he get playing time over: Pat Burrell, Andres Torres, Cody Ross, Jose Guillen or Nate Schierholts? So basically we would be carrying a SIXTH outfielder. If anything, Id want us to have Darren Ford if we are keeping 6 outfielders. At least Ford would have a specialized role and could excel at one important skill that this team lacks.

Aaron Rowand provides nothing to this team in the playoffs. If he sees ANY playing time, that is not good news for us. One could argue veteran presence in the clubhouse/dugout, but how far does that really go for a player who wouldnt be playing?

Back
Top Bottom