Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Aaron Rowand's a gamer, though.
r2iwko.gif

I do not want Aaron Rowand on this team. dland's right. I'd rather have Darren Ford. A pinch runner would pay off more than Aaron Rowand on the bench. Let's say his role is as a defensive replacement. But we have Ross to replace Burrell, Torres isn't going to be subbed out for a defensive replacement, and Guillen will get subbed out for Schierholtz. If Torres does need a day off or whatever, then Ross takes center field. Burrell isn't really that bad of a fielder. His range is just limited. And if worse comes to worst, Huff to LF and Travis Ishikawa at 1B... or Posey to 1B and Whiteside catching. I like the fact that this group of guys are versatile. It makes the moving of players around easier... and the need for Rowand non-existent.

Aaron Rowand can bring that veteran presence, but really we have other veteran players who can do it, too, but also do a lot more. Affeldt, Burrell, Renteria, Uribe, and even Guillen can bring that presence that Rowand offers.

I would have liked to have seen both of them off. The way I see it Rowand being on means we will have one less pitcher on the roster.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

damn i remember when zito use to be the man.... [50 cent]the ++@@ happen to you?[50 cent]

daaaaamn homie. In high school you was the maaaan homie.

[h1]Eavesdrops[/h1]

John Shea
San Francisco Chronicle October 7, 2010 04:00 AM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The buzz from Wednesday's workout at China Basin:

-- Derrek Lee, traded from the Cubs to Braves in mid-August, never heard the Giants were interested in him. He had a no-trade clause but "probably" would have waived it to be a Giant. The free agent was asked about a possible fit with Oakland in 2011. "We'll see," he said. You never know. After all, he grew up in Sacramento as an A's fan.

-- Two dozen Japanese reporters eagerly await whether reliever Takashi Saito, who has had a sore shoulder, will make the Braves' playoff roster. If he's left off, it would be the first year since 2007 Japan isn't represented in the postseason, and lots of reporters would be bummed. No, they wouldn't stick around to cover Travis Ishikawa.

-- Shawn Estes is spelling former teammate Rich Aurilia as a Comcast analyst, and the old left-hander has some dandy insight on Derek Lowe, the Braves' Game 1 starter. They were roommates in the minors in the '90s in Seattle's system. Asked if he has any stories to put in a newspaper, Estes said, "No. ... Wait a minute. What kind of paper?"

-- Barry Zito would be bummed for being left off the playoff roster, but he'll get some support from an old buddy today. He's going to lunch with Tim Hudson.

-- Bobby Cox's first big-league game was at Seals Stadium. As a student at Selma High School (just south of Fresno) in the late '50s, Cox attended a Cardinals-Giants game because his idol was Stan Musial. He loved Seals Stadium and suggested the Giants should have kept it instead of building Candlestick Park. "Would've been a lot better," Cox said.

-- Pat Burrell reportedly called Braves closer Billy Wagner a rat when they were Phillies teammates after Wagner said the team had no chance for the postseason. Burrell said recently he's now fine with Wagner and sometimes sees him in the offseason. Regardless, the late-inning duels will be worth watching.

My boy, Shawn Estes!
r2iwko.gif
r2iwko.gif

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

I know you guys are happy that Guillen is not on playoff roster
Questionable move IMO, but Schulman made a good point that he's been a ground ball machine and Braves pitchers throw a lot of sinkers. So it was reasonable.  I think Rowand will continue to be in a reserve role and not start.  Not surprised about Runzler and Ray being left off.

And to those against Rowand, I understand your views and they are valid.  I think he'd help in some way because he has fresh legs and can still produce in a limited way. 

I totally forgot Derrek Lee was on the Braves. Can't wait for tonight's game. I hope the announcers aren't as bad as yesterday's announcers on all games.

The official 25-man roster for this series.
Giants announce 25 Man Roster for NLDS:
11 pitchers: Affeldt, Bumgarner, Cain, Casilla, Lincecum, Lopez, Mota, Ramirez, Romo, J. Sanchez and Wilson
2 C: Posey, Whiteside.
7 IF: Fontenot, Huff, Ishikawa, Renteria, F. Sanchez, Sandoval, Uribe.
5 OF: Burrell, Ross, Rowand, Schierholtz, Torres.
I have no problem with this roster other than Rowand. I would've had Guillen or even Ford over him. Guillen has a lot more power than Rowand and Ford can be deadly on the base paths if situations calls for it.

Apparently Rowand might start in CF with Torres in RF?  I don't have the stats handy but he's hitting something like .462 against Lowe

Originally Posted by What up

Anyone get NLCS tickets? My @*@! kept refreshing for half an hour before I finally gave up...

I went to the Braves website and they had a lot of tickets available. Hate living in such a hypebeast area.

So true. Missed out on the tickets also because I had class, but seriously SF is right next to LA in terms of hypebeasts/bandwagon fans.  Can't imagine how many people claim to be Giants' fans, but are buying tickets to sell them rather than actually buying tickets to go to the game
30t6p3b.gif
.  Oh well, if you're life is that bad financially that you have to resell tickets then by all means
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Anyone get NLCS tickets? My @*@! kept refreshing for half an hour before I finally gave up...

I went to the Braves website and they had a lot of tickets available. Hate living in such a hypebeast area.

So true. Missed out on the tickets also because I had class, but seriously SF is right next to LA in terms of hypebeasts/bandwagon fans.  Can't imagine how many people claim to be Giants' fans, but are buying tickets to sell them rather than actually buying tickets to go to the game
30t6p3b.gif
.  Oh well, if you're life is that bad financially that you have to resell tickets then by all means
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

How much I paid for 4 tickets for game 2: $280

How much I sold 2 tickets for game for: $400

How much free money I now have: $120

How much my brother's birthday present cost me: $0

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif