OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirby isn't a Pro Coach and he knows it. He's already seen his mentor crash and burn in the NFL and end up back in college. Like most successful college head coaches, Kirby's biggest strengths are recruiting and motivation. Those skills won't really help them at the pro level. He's coaching at his alma mater, he's the highest paid coach in the nation. I don't see Kirby being the coach to break the decades long streak of college coaches failing in the NFL.
You don't think all coaches, like players, dream of winning a super bowl and being in the NFL? Do you think there's any HC that doesn't have the mindset, "in the right situation, I can figure it out?"

Deion to Colorado is a lot more like Herm Edwards to ASU than it is Deion to Jackson State.

It doesn't mean he's not going to be successful, especially with USC and UCLA leaving in 2024, but let's be honest about what is happening here.

A former player/coach/sports tv celebrity with no power 5 coaching experience and very little credibility in the way of x's and o's is taking over a cellar dweller Pac 12 program with a cratered roster, in a region he has no connection to. He then promises them a quick turn around by way of an overnight infusion of 4-5 star talent, an uptick in recruiting interest, and a pro model in program and personnel management. And also cheating...

He's Herm Edwards.

Deion got the #1 CB recruit to attend Jackson State…. THENNN proceeded to transfer to Colorado and rejoin Deion. That’s a different type of influence than Herm Edwards.

Deion got Hunter to follow him not once, but TWICE.

Last edited:
P
Urban Meyer was getting South Florida kids to go to cold a** Columbus Ohio on a regular basis, it's nothing new.

I root for every black head coach to succeed but I'm not going to guarantee Deion Sanders success. We haven't even seen him coach a game at the P5 level yet. There have been plenty of coaches who have succeeded at lower levels and struggled at the P5 level.

It's going to be interesting to see how things play out when Deion does not have the talent advantage He had at JSU. In the SWAC, having a handful of P5 (or even G5) bounce backs and a couple of Blue Chip recruits gives you a gigantic town advantage. Not that same way in the P5. I expect Colorado to win 2-3 games next year given their level of talent and their schedule, how will Coach Prime perform once the luster of winning isn't there?

I mean, Ohio State is a blue blood that’s a pipeline to the NFL. They’re getting blue chips, 4 and 5 starts nationwide. Regardless of coach. Ohio State is a farrrr bigger football brand than Colorado. That’s different than Colorado, which hasn’t had much acclaim since those early to mid 90s teams with Kordell, Westbrook, Figures, etc.

The difference is Ohio State can get a 4 or 5 star from Florida with ease.

Colorado would NEVER get a 4 or 5 star from Florida without Deion’s presence. Growing up in South Florida, Colorado was NEVER a school that would be considered. EVER. It was always the Big 3 of course, but nationally me and my homeboys, and people who I’ve known and grew up and played football with, if you couldn’t go to UM, FSU, UF it would’ve been Ohio State, USC, Auburn, Bama, GA, Mich, etc.

I never heard a kid in my 35 years of living in south Florida, say Colorado was a dream school. They’d only get a 1 or 2 star player here.

With Deion, they’ll get top prospects. That’s the difference. I went to school or played with or against Chris Gamble, Stanley McClover, Major Wright, Geno Atkins, Sam Young, James White, Patrick Peterson, Tyrone Moss, Kenny Phillips, None of those guys would’ve ever looked at Colorado. If they were recruits now, with Deion at Colorado? They’d DEFINITELY be down to attend Colorado.

Last edited:
Deion got the #1 CB recruit to attend Jackson State…. THENNN proceeded to transfer to Colorado and rejoin Deion. That’s a different type of influence than Herm Edwards.

It's not as different as you think it is. Herm was pulling California and regional kids to ASU that USC, UCLA, Oregon, and other major programs wanted.

Obviously Deion's a much more immediately recognizable name and face, but Herm's credibility came from many of the same things Deion's is derived from. And Herm is just as loud and charismatic a talker.

And then there's the similarity in the programs that are willing to take a chance on them and why.

Herm wasn't flipping 4 and 5 star recruits from the likes of FSU and Miami. Stop it.

Deion is going to be a problem.

Exactly bro! You and I both are from South Florida. Any kid who plays FB in Florida thinks he’s pro material. Therefore, your school either has to be a blue blood, or your coach has to have clout out of this world.

Tom Osborne could get a Tommy Frazier, who’s from sunny Bradenton, Florida because he was Tom Osborne. They were on TV. They were a household name.

It's not as different as you think it is. Herm was pulling California and regional kids to ASU that USC, UCLA, Oregon, and other major programs wanted.

Obviously Deion's a much more immediately recognizable name and face, but Herm's credibility came from many of the same things Deion's is derived from. And Herm is just as loud and charismatic a talker.

Most young People don’t know Herm from his playing Days. Some young kids AND their parents know Deion from his playing days.

Herm could never recruit Florida like Deion. It’s not the same. Herm doesn’t have the kind of clout Deion has. And I’ve always been a fan of Herm.

Deion has a different type of gravity.

Herm wasn't flipping 4 and 5 star recruits from the likes of FSU and Miami. Stop it.

Deion is going to be a problem.
On this you're wrong.

Jackson State is not ASU, but tell me: what was Jayden Daniels ranked? Where was he thought to be going?

Most young People don’t know Herm from his playing Days. Some young kids AND their parents know Deion from his playing days.

Herm could never recruit Florida like Deion. It’s not the same. Herm doesn’t have the kind of clout Deion has. And I’ve always been a fan of Herm.

Deion has a different type of gravity.
Deion retired in 2005. The class of 2023 wasn't born when he was playing.

They know him from word of mouth from their parents and from TV. Same as Herm. No one is disputing that Deion is a much bigger name than Herm, but Herm was coaching in the playoffs more recently than Deion has played football.

And then... again, there's the other similarities...

Deion retired in 2005. The class of 2023 wasn't born when he was playing.

They know him from word of mouth from their parents and from TV. Same as Herm. No one is disputing that Deion is a much bigger name than Herm, but Herm was coaching in the playoffs more recently than Deion has played football.

And then... again, there's the other similarities...

Herms biggest career highlight was a fumble recovery for a touchdown…. Deion’s highlights ALONE would a get a kids attention. The average 16-20 year old AND/OR their parents know Deion.

If Herm coached at an HBCU, he’d never get looks from top recruits. Stop it :lol: :lol:
Would Travis have gone to JSU in 2020? 2021? Serious question. Would Cormani have? Go back in this thread to signing day. There are people who said there was no chance Cormani would go to CU.

Would Travis have gone to JSU in 2020? 2021? Serious question. Would Cormani have? Go back in this thread to signing day. There are people who said there was no chance Cormani would go to CU.

Only thing that matters is they WENT and considered it. All that was Deion. Herm doesn’t have the kind of pull. I’m just keeping it all the way real.

Only thing that matters is they WENT and considered it. All that was Deion. Herm doesn’t have the kind of pull. I’m just keeping it all the way real.
That's not answering my question, so it's not keeping it all the way real.

You don't think all coaches, like players, dream of winning a super bowl and being in the NFL? Do you think there's any HC that doesn't have the mindset, "in the right situation, I can figure it out?"

I genuinely do not believe every coach aspires to be in the NFL. I'm sure many of them do, but not all of them. There is a lot of data to suggest that leaving for the NFL would be a bad decision for him.

Also, there's a distinct possibility that Kirby would not even get an opportunity to coach of the NFL. NFL teams have access to the same data we do, hiring college coaches almost never works out. Also, the NFL is moving towards hiring more offensive coaches and Kirby comes from a defensive background.

I could be wrong but I just don't see Kirby going to the NFL. He's been at Georgia for 7 years, won two national championships and we haven't heard a single legitimate rumor of Kirby being interested In the NFL.

Let's not forget that Kirby was on Saban's staff when he coached the Dolphins. He witnessed that train wreck first hand. I doubt he wants to go back given the fact that he's in a dream situation at his alma mater.

Colorado is just a stop for Prime. He’ll bring them back to respectability then bounce to FSU. As a Miami guy, I’m dreading it but I know it’s going to happen one day
Norvell somewhere

ezgif-2-1f04f16753.gif

Colorado is just a stop for Prime. He’ll bring them back to respectability then bounce to FSU. As a Miami guy, I’m dreading it but I know it’s going to happen one day

💯💯💯 I think Colorado understands this. Even if things fail spectacularly, it's no big deal to them. Colorado is already the worst school in P5 and among the worst schools in FBS, they have nothing to lose. If things go well then they have a couple of years of success and then Deion moves on to a bigger and better job. Coach Prime's ultimate goal is to coach in the SEC, Miami or FSU.

Norvell seems to have turned things around a little bit. I think there's a decent chance that Cristobal crashes and burns at Miami and that job is open in 2 or 3 years. Coach Prime at Miami, with that NIL money would be scary

This man gonna play for 5 teams watch :lol:

It's just a sad situation overall. Rumor is that he took some drugs at LSU that messed with his mind. When he transferred to UGA, he was 300 lbs and he needed time to get his mind and body right.

Even this season, he was our fourth tight end behind Brock Bowers, Darnell Washington and the freshman, Oscar Delp. It's bizarre that he chose to transfer to UGA when that position group is so stacked.

I wish the kid well, from all accounts he's a good person and comes from a good family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom