OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Edwards is the better back, is that a hot take?

Nah, not necessarily, the NFL is going to like Edwards more because of the speed, size, and ability as a receiver.

Blake has elite burst and vision tho, and I think he could be contributor in the passing game at the next level if asked to. He reminds me a lot of Dalvo as a runner.

In Lane Kiffin’s entire college coaching career, he has only beaten 3 teams who have finished the season in the top 25.

All time he is 2-14 against top 10 teams.

The argument they had on their pod: Lincoln at 7 but Day and Franklin at 5 and 6?

My question: Harbaugh at 4? Leipold at 10??

Where would you have Jim? :lol:

What Leipold has done at every stop is impressive but the D3 schools in Wisconsin have a built in advantage with UW-M being the only scholarship football program in the state. I think he’s definitely top 25 but 10 is too high.

What Franklin did at Vandy was great but it feels like he’s living on that. PSU is basically a rich man’s Maryland at this point, talent in some places, glaring holes in others.

Seems like neither is especially explicit with how they do their rankings but I’d say it’s a total body of work with a recency bias.

This. They don't give an exact criteria (frankly, there isn't an exact criteria that would make sense) but they look at the whole body of work and put extra weight on the last couple of years. This is why you see huge swings in some cases. James Franklin was barely in the top 25 last year and he's in the top five this year. They use the example of Jimbo Fisher: He won a national championship and you can never take that away from him but it has less and less weight in their rankings the farther we get away from it.

Where would you have Jim? :lol:

What Leipold has done at every stop is impressive but the D3 schools in Wisconsin have a built in advantage with UW-M being the only scholarship football program in the state. I think he’s definitely top 25 but 10 is too high.

What Franklin did at Vandy was great but it feels like he’s living on that. PSU is basically a rich man’s Maryland at this point, talent in some places, glaring holes in others.
I think if we're talking top coaches in 2022, then he's #3 or #4. But that isn't really what they did. Feldman especially considered the totality of his work. Which I get... sure. But the weight given to certain things is inconsistent.

What has Jim done that makes him better than Lincoln or Brian Kelly? I feel like the same things Kelly gets dinged for are ignored with Jim.

Is he better than Day because he beats Day? That standard isn't applied elsewhere. Or are we saying Day's resume is too short? If so, that standard also isn't applied elsewhere on Bruce's list.

For the record I think Jim belongs in the top 6. I just don't know that I agree with #4, just because he finally beat Ohio State twice.

Always love it when they name someone a great coach because they had a good couple years at a bad school.

He’s not a bad coach by any means, and probably should be top 10-15 but not 5. He’s in a tough spot having to play OSU and Michigan each year, and outside of a blocked FG to beat OSU he’s coached close games against them but hasn’t won anything

A question for you guys. Do you think the top head coaches in CFB are somewhat overrated in their actual coaching ability? I say this because most of the top guys on that list have huge talent disparities in their favor in almost every game they play except when they face each other. Ryan day basically wet the bed against Georgia and Clemson. DLK doesn’t look great without Nastee Boy T0INE T0INE , Etienne and TLaw. Kirby is on a run but their talent especially on defense is almost overwhelming. We can go on and on. This is why I have a hard time with these coaching rankings in CFB.

A question for you guys. Do you think the top head coaches in CFB are somewhat overrated in their actual coaching ability? I say this because most of the top guys on that list have huge talent disparities in their favor in almost every game they play except when they face each other. Ryan day basically wet the bed against Georgia and Clemson. DLK doesn’t look great without Nastee Boy T0INE T0INE , Etienne and TLaw. Kirby is on a run but their talent especially on defense is almost overwhelming. We can go on and on. This is why I have a hard time with these coaching rankings in CFB.

To be fair, isn’t acquiring said talent part of being a head coach though?

I know there are other factors as well but they still have to recruit

To be fair, isn’t acquiring said talent part of being a head coach though?

I know there are other factors as well but they still have to recruit
To be clear, I’m talking Xs and Os and the ability to win when you don’t have a huge talent advantage. I look at the NFL and when I see guys like Reed, Bill, Tomlin, etc you know those guys are great coaches. Recruiting is a huge part of what it means to be a college coach but part of me asks if Lincoln is such a QB guru why did Rattler look better at South Carolina than he did at OU?

To be clear, I’m talking Xs and Os and the ability to win when you don’t have a huge talent advantage. I look at the NFL and when I see guys like Reed, Bill, Tomlin, etc you know those guys are great coaches. Recruiting is a huge part of what it means to be a college coach but part of me asks if Lincoln is such a QB guru why did Rattler look better at South Carolina than he did at OU?

I couldn’t tell you how many of them are actually good X’s and O’s Coaches. It seems like they all specialize in one thing (Kirby defense, day offense, etc.).

Anymore they have so many assistants I look at them more so as game managers

8DB48D49-F265-4348-AB51-FAD770A7914E.jpeg

73E8443E-17C8-483C-B842-8F0AD8FA1283.jpeg

6E98E1D5-63A4-48D9-B75C-DCE2CB8084DA.jpeg

88ED99E4-6496-43EE-931A-DA26715C2A26.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom