OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was asking rhetorical questions to prove a point lol. Deion didn’t do that much for HBCUs when the average CFB fan can’t answer these questions, which is why he asked aepps20 aepps20
Probably was, but I couldn't resist the chance of educating the masses. Just call me an unpaid SWAC PR person that's trying to spread SWAC football on different message boards.

His first transfer to UGA required a waiver

His second transfer to West Virginia was via the transfer portal (and I'm assuming he used his one-time free transfer)

This transfer would be as a grad transfer, I'm assuming

Van Lathan has great perspective on the Deion Sanders situation. As some of you guys have said, many people are conflating the fact that Coach Prime helped JSU with Coach Prime helping HBCUs as a whole.

You previously said there were no tangible benefits to HBCUs.
And I stand on that too. What tangible has come out of this for HBCUs broadly?
The average CFB fan can't name the head coaches of programs outside of the top 25 so that's a low bar.
Lol ok, well you’re an above average CFB fan and you still can’t answer ANY of those questions. Which furthers that point.

Lol ok, well you’re an above average CFB fan and you still can’t answer ANY of those questions. Which furthers that point.
Additional exposure on ESPN, more discussions on the gap between HBCUs and PWIs in funding, exposing politicians in Texas and other places when conducting hearings on why Black students would choose HBCUs over PWIs. These are all tangible things that his presence helped get mainstream media attention. You of all people know that celebrity gets people talking which helps. How are those not tangible? You also keep glossing over the Jackson water crisis which was totally ignored before Prime spoke up. How was that not tangible not just for JSU but for the entire city of Jackson? I have family in Jackson and they insist that Deion's celebrity got the Republican Governor and others to do more in the last six months than they did for over a year.That's more tangible than what local politicians in Mississippi did.

As far as Nako's questions I can answer his questions because when Prime went to Jackson State I started watching more HBCU sports through the HBCUGo app not just football. I viewed his questions more retorical than requesting a real response. I didn't go to an HBCU but I've already mentioned that I actually donate to three different HBCU general scholarship funds in no small part because I want to bring more attention to them and do my part. I think Roland Martin sums up my view on the issue. To be honest if he went to JSU and flames out people wouldn't care and they wouldn't care if he was fired. This guy gave up half of his salary to improve their facilities.

Deion was selling false dreams from the gate. HBCU’s don’t have the budgets to gain notoriety of traditional PWI’s
Deion won at JSU because he is one of the most popular figures in sports. Who else ESPN interviewing on national broadcasts?
This was always about legitimizing Deion as a credible coach he just need a platform to preach from no different than a politician.

He still never showed an HBCU program can be just as competitive as a major or mid major because in three years Deion conveniently never scheduled any marquee games. All he show is they could trend and be a flavor of the month.
Easy to be the big dog when you bringing all the sponsors and money with you. He gone be up against that cotton money now. He’s now recruiting against coaches who can point to the NFL and say I help them get there. Dude ain’t even get a player drafted in his 3 years.

He’s the equivalent to a brother who gets a white girl as soon as he gets on. He was never about HBCU’s only Deion but he need a cause to exploit to get the attention.

I don't always agree with everything Bomani says but during the last portion of this clip he brings up a great point that people who don't follow college football closely might not understand: The financial gap between even the lowest level P5 schools and SWAC is gigantic. Even the gap between SWAC and The rest of FBS is big.

I've seen many people say "why doesn't Deion Sanders stay at JSU and build it up to where it could compete with top 25 programs?" Obviously anyone with even a vague understanding of the business of college football knows this is impossible (especially if JSU was committed to staying in the SWAC).

Here is what the gap looks like:

- Top 15-20 schools (OSU, Georgia, Michigan, Bama, etc)

(big gap)

- The rest of P5

(gap)

- High level G5 teams

- Low-level G5 teams

(gap)

- High level FBS (ie The teams typically making the playoffs and succeeding

- Mid-tier FBS teams

- SWAC level football

Not trying to sound negative or hate on HBC football but this is just a reality of the situation. Deion Sanders could spend a lifetime trying to uplift the HBCU football and he would probably never get to the level that Colorado is at.

It would be intriguing if, hypothetically, Deion Sanders stayed at JSU and JSU was willing to leave the SWAC. Then I could truly see the program leveling up quickly. Look at Georgia State football, it literally didn't exist 15 years ago and they've already gone from FBS, to G5 to now making bowl games consistently.

Obviously leaving the SWAC would fly in the face of the mission of helping all of HBCU football but that is the fastest way for a program to level up.

This man Deion really told the new team "some of the positions are already taken care of because I'm bringing my luggage with me... and it's Louis" bruh this Colorado. Louis Vuitton doesn't impress them. l get the analogy he's making but it's coming off corny and tone deaf in my opinion.

This man Deion really told the new team "some of the positions are already taken care of because I'm bringing my luggage with me... and it's Louis" bruh this Colorado. Louis Vuitton doesn't impress them. l get the analogy he's making but it's coming off corny and tone deaf in my opinion.

💯💯💯

The granola and hiking crowd in Boulder aren't impressed by Louis Vuitton luggage. He should have said. "I'm bringing my own luggage and it's Patagonia" or "I'm bringing my own luggage and it's sustainably sourced and good for the environment" 😂

We all know that college football is a business but if I were a current Colorado player (or their parents) and Deion "If you're not on this short list of players who I deem worthy of returning then you can't even get any rest and recovery here, please leave" I would feel some type of way. This is Colorado, not the SEC where they're used to cutthroat college football tactics.

Even the "I'm bringing my own luggage and it's Louis" is cringy. The implication here is that Coach Prime is bringing his own players and you guys should be prepared to leave. Even if this is something that you're thinking, if I were the athletic director of Colorado I wouldn't want my head coach saying this while it's being recorded for millions to see. I understand why a lot of athletic directors wouldn't want Deion Sanders because of things like this.

Last edited:
I might be one of only two people here who say put some respect on Stetsons name but damn, he should not be a finalists. Are all finalists guaranteed top 4 vote?

Stetson should be 6th at best.

I might be one of only two people here who say put some respect on Stetsons name but damn, he should not be a finalists. Are all finalists guaranteed top 4 vote?

Stetson’s probably having a worse season this year than he did last year. And yet I hear people arguing he should get the Denzel in training day Heisman.

I'm one of the biggest Georgia homers alive and I still don't think Stetson should be a Heisman finalist. He's a good college QB but nowhere near one of the best or most valuable players in the nation. At times, he's even been liability to Georgia. Michael Penix, Blake Corum and Hendon Hooker should all be invited before Stetson.

Seems like a lifetime achievement or "best quarterback on the #1 team" Heisman invite. Reminds me of when Ken Dorsey was a two-time Heisman finalist when putting up pretty mediocre numbers like this:

Screenshot_20221206-162903.png

I'm one of the biggest Georgia homers alive and I still don't think Stetson should be a Heisman finalist. He's a good college QB but nowhere near one of the best or most valuable players in the nation. At times, he's even been liability to Georgia. Michael Penix, Blake Corum and Hendon Hooker should all be invited before Stetson.

Seems like a lifetime achievement or "best quarterback on the #1 team" Heisman invite. Reminds me of when Ken Dorsey was a two-time Heisman finalist when putting up pretty mediocre numbers like this:

Screenshot_20221206-162903.png

Whoa whoa whoa PUT SOME RESPECK ON KENNY’S NAME

Unrelated to the games but when is the Nike / Jordan CFP gear going to drop? Not talking about the bowl shirts but the jackets / pullovers with the diamond logo. Got my order cancelled last year for the CFP jacket by Nike so itching to scoop early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom