OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh Riley and Day could each be the next Kliff in the NFL. He just proved the young white hot shot offensive mind doesn’t always work

Eh Riley and Day could each be the next Kliff in the NFL. He just proved the young white hot shot offensive mind doesn’t always work

To be fair, Cliff wasn't even a particularly successful college coach, literally a week before he had been fired from Texas Tech.It was a huge reach for Arizona to give him a head coaching job.

Not saying that Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley would be much better but at least they have proven themselves to be successful head coaches at the college level over multiple years.

Like the article states, it's much easier to project the physical traits to be in a lead defensive player at a younger age. Size, speed and agility much easier to measure in high school prospects.

Offensively, it's much more difficult to project a position like quarterback were much of the game is mental. It's easy to scout size, arm strength and athleticism but it's much more difficult to project decision-making, accuracy and maturity. In fact there are very few five-star quarterbacks who are successful NFL QBs.

Tight end and offensive line are positions that tend to develop later. There are guys who gain 80 lb during college and go from tight end to offensive line, and there are guys who didn't even play tight end in college and end up at the NFL. It's just incredibly difficult to project.

The position that fascinates me the most is receiver. It is easy to project size and speed so I would think recruiting services would have a higher hit rate on receiver

Fluidity is something that is very important at receiver, that I don’t think services put enough value on.

To be fair, Cliff wasn't even a particularly successful college coach, literally a week before he had been fired from Texas Tech.It was a huge reach for Arizona to give him a head coaching job.

That's putting it mildly. There's no logical reason that Kliff should have gotten that job or even a shot at that job. He's not even agod's gift to offensive football like they paint some of these other coaches as.

That's putting it mildly. There's no logical reason that Kliff should have gotten that job or even a shot at that job. He's not even agod's gift to offensive football like they paint some of these other coaches as.

I think a lot of it comes down to NFL teams falling in love with the flavor of the month. I remember when Kingsbury was hired people kept saying that he "worked with Sean McVay" as if that is some type of qualification. 😂

This is the biggest gap I see with black and white coaches. Every owner and basically every GM is white so there's a bias towards hiring white coaches. It All falls under the "he interviewed well" or "This guy isn't a cultural fit" BS

I don't care how well Kingsbury interviewed, the fact that a college coach who was recently fired got an NFL head coaching job should never happen when you consider the number of qualified black head coaches there are out there

I think a lot of it comes down to NFL teams falling in love with the flavor of the month. I remember when Kingsbury was hired people kept saying that he "worked with Sean McVay" as if that is some type of qualification. 😂
That's all it was. And not a shocker he's rumored to join him with the Rams :lol:

This is why fewer and fewer college coaches even get a chance to coach in the NFL nowadays. Even the elite college coaches struggle in the NFL. The only two college coaches (with no prior NFL experience) that I could see getting a shot in the NFL are Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley.

What about Kirby

This is the biggest gap I see with black and white coaches. Every owner and basically every GM is white so there's a bias towards hiring white coaches. It All falls under the "he interviewed well" or "This guy isn't a cultural fit" BS

I don't care how well Kingsbury interviewed, the fact that a college coach who was recently fired got an NFL head coaching job should never happen when you consider the number of qualified black head coaches there are out there
Just so many facts in this post. I have been saying that Klingsbury is the poster boy for racism in NFL coaching searches in my barber shop for years. In addition to what you said, I hate how Black coaches rarely get that next opportunity when it doesn’t work out. What’s crazy is that these White coaches that flame out in the NFL are usually immediately given prime coordinator positions or head coaching positions at the college or pro level and wait a few years for their phone to ring off the hook for a pro job once again. Josh McDaniels isn’t head coaching material. raider5 raider5 and I both agree on that front. Josh literally set the Broncos back with running the QB out of town and and he’s doing it again. After the debacle in Denver and his shenanigans with the Colts offer this guy shouldn’t be coaching anyone anywhere.

Kingsbury didn't interview remarkably well if I recall correctly. It was more so the Shanahan/WFT tree of young coaches were all succeeding so everyone wanted one.

Kliff I don't even think has worked with Sean McVay. The whole thing was he and McVay were friends and McVay would meet with him in the offseason to exchange offensive ideas and ran some similar stuff to each other in the NFL and college level. Add in that Kliff is young, white, unmarried, and dates models and the Cardinals, Jets, and (I forget who the 3rd team was) talked themselves into hiring him. If you remember the Cards even offered him seemingly prematurely because 1. It looked like USC would block his move to the NFL if he lingered any longer, and 2. the jets looked like they were going to hire him.

Lincoln's married with kids so no concerns there. He's too washed to be a sexy hire.

Kingsbury didn't interview remarkably well if I recall correctly. It was more so the Shanahan/WFT tree of young coaches were all succeeding so everyone wanted one.

Kliff I don't even think has worked with Sean McVay. The whole thing was he and McVay were friends and McVay would meet with him in the offseason to exchange offensive ideas and ran some similar stuff to each other in the NFL and college level. Add in that Kliff is young, white, unmarried, and dates models and the Cardinals, Jets, and (I forget who the 3rd team was) talked themselves into hiring him. If you remember the Cards even offered him seemingly prematurely because 1. It looked like USC would block his move to the NFL if he lingered any longer, and 2. the jets looked like they were going to hire him.

Lincoln's married with kids so no concerns there. He's too washed to be a sexy hire.
I remember that ESPN profile of dude some years backs at Tech and 90% of it revolved around his looks.

Kliff didn’t deserve that job at all, there’s no way of justifying it :lol:
I think you're misunderstanding. We all agree he didn't deserve it. No one is justifying it.

We're saying the Cards's logic in hiring him was: he is white, was sleeping with a Russian model, was in a couple photos with Sean McVay, and nfl owners are Mr. Me Too's.

I think you're misunderstanding. We all agree he didn't deserve it. No one is justifying it.

We're saying the Cards's logic in hiring him was: he is white, was sleeping with a Russian model, was in a couple photos with Sean McVay, and nfl owners are Mr. Me Too's.

No I know we all agree, I’m laughing at the idea in general of him getting that job :

Yeah he’s the white hot shot offensive guru who never accomplished anything prior to the league. It’s similar to the yearly white QB who was mid in college but has “all the tools” to be great instead of a black QB who was great in college and has more upside than the white QB

The funny thing is some in the USC fanbase said he was coming in to replace Helton and the majority of fans argued he was wholly unqualified to be a premier college head coach, even with as terrible as Helton, Sark, and Kiffin had been. Then he got the Cardinals job a week later and it felt like we were all taking crazy pills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom