Official: #3 Oregon v. #4 LSU - Will Lyles Bowl at Jerry World

Holy hell Oregon is finally running the offense that has won them games better late than never

I woulda loved to keep them at 13. We are always a play away from failure or success...close games w lsu are always crippling.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

LSU in a beat down

pimp.gif

Hats and visors off to LSU.

The better team won tonight. Oregon could not execute early and shot themselves in the foot, killing off their own momentum and drives.

And, frankly, until Oregon can out-muscle a team, people aren't going to take them seriously as title contenders and I don't blame them. They'll do well in the Pac-12, but they gotta improve up-front on the offense before they can do anything nationally.

Win the Rose Bowl against a Wisconsin or Nebraska and you'll gain some national cred.

Things I took away from the game (aside from what I mentioned above):

-De'Anthony has the potential for a a promising career (if he holds on to the damn ball). Guy is lightning in a bottle.
-Jeff Maehl was missed. Too many drops to start the game that killed drives. Huff was a no-show (in my opinion) in both the NCG and tonight. Disappointed they couldn't get Paulson involved more and earlier.
-I said earlier either in this thread or the CFB one, that Oregon's defense didn't bother me, but that Oregon's O-Line/WR play did. It remains the same story for me after the game. Outside of Tuinei, nobody stepped up at the receiver position. When LaMichael James is your leading receiver, the guys at the wideout position aren't producing how they should be.
-Thought the defense played well, especially given the fact that they were put in bad situations multiple times by the offenses turnovers. I think they'll be a solid to really good unit throughout the season.
-Cliff Harris is a son of a +@!#* and really cost his team tonight. Not saying he would have given Oregon the win, but you look at that muffed punt by Barner, and the hole he created at CB, that LSU keyed on (TD and interference call); it's clear were problems with him not in the lineup. Guy better own his mistake and get on the field. He's a big difference maker and it showed on key plays tonight.
-Darron Thomas needs to settle the heck down in big games. After seeing Dixon and Masoli show moxie and poise in the big games, Thomas is driving me crazy with his jittery over-throws. He can be a hell of a player, but he gets too worked up. Watch the first half of the NCG and points throughout this game and it's evident he gets too amped.

That's all for now I suppose. Again, kudos to LSU and their gameplan. They executed and fully took advantage of the opportunities given them.

On to Nevada and the Pac-12. Still excited and looking forward to the season. A lot can happen and you don't give up on the season after one game. I hope they can evolve and change to meet the challenges that await them and rise up to the competition this fall.

Chip Kelly will NEVER win a national title as a head coach. 

I used to play for Chip and this man is a genius, YES, but he does not have what it takes to win the big games as a HEAD coach. I reluctantly wish him all the best, but I do not see it occurring anytime soon.

Originally Posted by pookieman

I used to play for Chip and this man is a genius, YES, but he does not have what it takes to win the big games as a HEAD coach. I reluctantly wish him all the best, but I do not see it occurring anytime soon.
You play at NH?

^^^^^^^^^Bottom line, and I agree with just about everything you said, If Oregon's O and D lines do not improve significantly, they will not compete for anything beyond a PAC 12 championship anytime soon.  Inability to control the line of scrimmage kills them.  Also, I have no clue why they are calling some of the plays on 1st and 2nd down, that they do.  Thomas arm strength and accuracy don't lend well to throwing across the field.

LSU overall team speed >>> Oregon team speed hands down.

I root for both teams, if Oregon plays Wisconsin, their D Line will get crushed.  Wisconsin would give up points to Oregon, but would probably win 63-56.  Wisconsin can flat out run the ball.  Should have never let up against TCU in Rose Bowl- and simply got outcoached.

National Championship Game Will probably be 2 of the following 4 - Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, or Boise State. Darkhorses are Wisconsin, Nebraska, Stanford.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

You play at NH?
Yea, he was the one that recruited me.  Dude's football brain is plain out crazy, but he lacks what you need as a head coach. Maybe things have changed, but as a head coach, you need to have guys that would go to war for you, kill for you - and I don't see it here and I didn't see it happen at UNH.  Guys loved him, well the ones that started (and were stars) at UNH...but he was a prick and I could see it.

You play at NH?
Yea, he was the one that recruited me.  Dude's football brain is plain out crazy, but he lacks what you need as a head coach. Maybe things have changed, but as a head coach, you need to have guys that would go to war for you, kill for you - and I don't see it here and I didn't see it happen at UNH.  Guys loved him, well the ones that started (and were stars) at UNH...but he was a prick and I could see it.
Interesting to hear from a player. My hope is that lessons are learned, not just short-term lessons, but the long-term ones too.
I personally think Chip has what it takes (at least from a fan's perspective), but I think he is a little stubborn. Wouldn't want any other coach, that's just me though.

Interesting to hear from a player. My hope is that lessons are learned, not just short-term lessons, but the long-term ones too.
I personally think Chip has what it takes (at least from a fan's perspective), but I think he is a little stubborn. Wouldn't want any other coach, that's just me though.

Yea, he's a good fit for Oregon - he was never a disciplinarian tho...with the things that happened with Missouli (sp) and Blunt, I honestly think, if it weren't for EVERYONE looking down at the team and school, he wouldn't had taken any action. 

Offensively, his spread Offense is (on-paper) the craziest. You just need to have the proper players out there and they looked (and are) very young. 

You play at NH?
what UNH former player said seems accurate- I think he is confident and arrogant- which leads to him definitely coming off like that

which leads to the stubborn part, which seems very true not only tonight, but in previous losses to OSU, and Auburn.  Part of that also falls on the D Coordinator I guess, but they have to see whats happening.  Either they can't change their approach simply because they are outmatched physically or they are resistant to doing so.  I think its a bit of both honestly, but until they recruit more sheer strength and size on their lines, they will struggle to compete with the truly ELITE programs in college football- Unfortunately, I feel the same way about Wisconsin, but for different reasons.  If you combined the two teams(their mentalities, philosophies, and talent), they would be unstoppable.

-Darron Thomas needs to settle the heck down in big games. After seeing Dixon and Masoli show moxie and poise in the big games, Thomas is driving me crazy with his jittery over-throws. He can be a hell of a player, but he gets too worked up. Watch the first half of the NCG and points throughout this game and it's evident he gets too amped.
yessir. he was ALL over the place with his throws...especially in the first half. frustrating to watch...even as a non-die hard ducks fan

LSU completely owned the trenches and Oregon had costly turnovers. Pretty simple.

That dude #7 ...
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif

And was Chip ever the HC at UNH? I think he's good enough. He's getting recruits, which is the biggest battle.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

LSU completely owned the trenches and Oregon had costly turnovers. Pretty simple.

That dude #7 ...
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif

And was Chip ever the HC at UNH? I think he's good enough. He's getting recruits, which is the biggest battle.

No, he was just , the OC....he gets recruits, he is a great recruiter and has good help from another former UNH Wildcat with the recruiting process...and, of course NIKE...defensively, they need monsters on the DLine...they were just getting worked upfront

Guess I was wrong for doubting LSU. Defensive line is so tough, once again.

I'm glad after the shaky start, Lee was able to make some nice passes and look at least decent out there.

Just wait until LSU plays Bama on November 5th. The teams are so evenly matched its ridiculous. Both amazing defenses, good run games, and suspect at times QBs, it'll be a winner goes to NCG Im almost positive

chip kelly's meat is huge though.

dude is a good coach, i doubted him after he took over after belotti (was a huge fan of his, but then again— i was a big ernie kent fan too lol). this game was a disaster though. i don't even recall a game where i've seen darron throw so many passes. but anyways, what happened to using the shovel pass in the spread? it worked well with dixon and masoli, haven't seen it used much with thomas.

Strong DL play with aggressive corners that can cover man to man all game is a tough team to beat. LSU looked good.

Ford and Ware are a punishing duo.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

That dude #7 ...
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif

Like i said, Matheiu (#7) and Claiborne (#17) were going to Eat!

Yeah so Bama is the only thing potentially stopping LSU from celebrating again in New Orleans in January.

Yeah Bama only thing in our way... I feel like we should be the number 1 team in the country now!
I love our defense!! Good game Oregon

Spoiler [+]
tiger-chases-O-Duck.jpg

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Yeah so Bama is the only thing potentially stopping LSU from celebrating again in New Orleans in January.

i wouldn't go that far yet, it's a long SEC season.

Back
Top Bottom