Official Depression thread

I had my moment where I was depressed about my job, finances, family, girl, then took the necessary steps to correct each one, and how to address new challenges in the future without letting depression creep back in. I was good after that. Make a list, figure out each obstruction, then deal with each accordingly. The outcome may not have been exactly how I plan, but each obstacle was dealt with, removing those burdens and giving me the freedom to rebuild myself. You risk looking selfish, arrogant, but no one else understands your struggle right now, no matter how obvious it is that your asking for help. Don't worry about that though, It will be easier to explain as yourself. Still struggling after that? Def get professional help.

Last edited:
Another thing NOT to do if you struggle with depression is to dwell on the past. I regret doing a lot of things and missing a lot of opportunities as a teen and young adult. Whenever I think about it, I catch feels. Learn to think about the present (and I'm not saying carpe diem, go base jumping type sh**). Rather, learn how to be content and savor the small things in the present.

I can recall a handful of times my boys and I have said things along the lines of "damn, I really wish I could be 17 again." Then five years later..."I'd kill to just be 22 again." And so on and so forth. I don't know why I have the inclination to think like that, but it's not helpful. It's that American way of being obsessed with youth or something.

Another thing NOT to do if you struggle with depression is to dwell on the past. I regret doing a lot of things and missing a lot of opportunities as a teen and young adult. Whenever I think about it, I catch feels. Learn to think about the present (and I'm not saying carpe diem, go base jumping type sh**). Rather, learn how to be content and savor the small things in the present.

I can recall a handful of times my boys and I have said things along the lines of "damn, I really wish I could be 17 again." Then five years later..."I'd kill to just be 22 again." And so on and so forth. I don't know why I have the inclination to think like that, but it's not helpful. It's that American way of being obsessed with youth or something.
100% true and I can relate. I'm someone who also dwells in the past too much, but recently I've been making an effort to focus on the now and I'm already seeing benefits.

There's some good advice in this thread on the subject: http://niketalk.com/t/633831/dwelling-in-the-past

Never spend so much time thinking about the past that you forget to live in the present and work towards the future.

Last edited:
I've just been wanting to sleep all day everyday lately 
frown.gif
 Not even physically tired... just so much on my mind and things that need to be done...I sleep hoping to delay the stress a little longer. I don't think it's depression but I need to get up and start meditating or something before it gets worse

Last edited:
I've just been wanting to sleep all day everyday lately :frown:  Not even physically tired... just so much on my mind and things that need to be done...I sleep hoping to delay the stress a little longer. I don't think it's depression but I need to get up and start meditating or something before it gets worse

I'd highly recommend Yoga. It gradually releases thoughts that start to weigh on your mind over time through the breathing/exercises.As you continue to do it daily

It's also a form of meditation. If you have 20-30 minutes of free alone time after work it's clutch. When you sweat it's a more relaxing energy released versus a sweat from a workout which is more of a energy charge.

I'd highly recommend Yoga. It gradually releases thoughts that start to weigh on your mind over time through the breathing/exercises.As you continue to do it daily

It's also a form of meditation. If you have 20-30 minutes of free alone time after work it's clutch. When you sweat it's a more relaxing energy released versus a sweat from a workout which is more of a energy charge.
i've always been told yoga but never even considered it... but I think I will now 
ohwell.gif

Thank you

Last edited:
So I tried to sub alcohol for my trees since I can't get any....and got horrible results...Ended up arguing bad with moms, cursing, escalating my anger. I'm on a thin limb brush on the verge of committing that...bumping TPAB trying to calm down

So I tried to sub alcohol for my trees since I can't get any....and got horrible results...Ended up arguing bad with moms, cursing, escalating my anger. I'm on a thin limb brush on the verge of committing that...bumping TPAB trying to calm down

It's all temporary fam. I promise you **** will get better. As generic as that sounds.....something awesome could happen to you tomorrow. Hit the PM if you need my number to talk about some real ****.

Don't know if I'm depressed or just still grieving

Also I do feel slightly guilty when I'm in a bad mood for no reason because I have everything I need in my life and I'm extremely grateful for it but I still feel like **** sometimes

Low key feel like I'm going to get punished for being depressed and have everything taken for me just to show me I had nothing to complain about

this is a good thread to have on this forum since it is male dominated. there aren't a whole lot of outlets for men to go and depressed men are looked down upon by both genders most of the time. it is definitely harder for men to deal with depression.

was cheated on by my ex gf while in the relationship. i knew that she 99% cheated and she didn't leave just cuz "things werent working out" but i just got official confirmaton. all the BS was just that.....BS. finally got some rest after being up for about 48 hours. i loved the heck out of this woman and she claimed to want a future with me. we wanted the same kind of life, or so i thought.  total lies and deception. it hurts, just the ultimate act of betrayal to someone who loves you. i have a hard enough time trusting and now i don't know how i can. if trust isnt there in a relationship you cant have a relationship though. i supported her (not financially or trickin) only for her to do that. what makes it harder to move on is that my health is really bad and i cant do the things i love. im a private person and dont talk about my illness because i dont care for sympathy. the only people who know the full extent are the ones i've been in a relationship with. i hold everything in and don't have friends/family i can go to so i vent online. i've never felt so much anger towards a person, and i know it's never healthy. my focus right now needs to be on myself. i'm not weak for feeling this way, i'm human.

when people say "theres someone who has it worse" i feel like its just marginalizing your problems. yes theres always going to be someone who has it worse but that doesnt change the way i feel and what im going through.

You're not weak for feeling like that. A similar thing happened to me and it's straight up agony. You have every right to be angry but don't let it consume you forever. I've been dwelling on it for nearly a year and it doesn't help. Eventually you need to go of that anger and find peace with what happened. In the mean time use that anger to motivate you to do whatever activities you can given your condition. You have to forgive that person ( not directly) but in your mind for your own health. Keep your head up.

Also I agree that the mindset of thinking of someone else leaves you worse off and never helped with my depression. In fact that's the last thing you want to tell someone who is depressed. It's not as if we aren't aware that others have it bad or worse than we do but we have to live with our problems. Thinking about how someone else has it worse off doesn't change my situation or how I feel. No one can tell you how you feel and when you're seriously depressed it's a state of being that can completely destroy you.

Last edited:
100% true and I can relate. I'm someone who also dwells in the past too much, but recently I've been making an effort to focus on the now and I'm already seeing benefits.

There's some good advice in this thread on the subject: http://niketalk.com/t/633831/dwelling-in-the-past

Never spend so much time thinking about the past that you forget to live in the present and work towards the future.
Yo, I definitely needed that quote. Thanks fam.

Just keep hitting the replay button playboy. Mix in a little Section .80 and Good Kid M.A.A.D City and you'll feel better fam, did the same thing earlier this year.

Last edited:
Don't know if I'm depressed or just still grieving

Also I do feel slightly guilty when I'm in a bad mood for no reason because I have everything I need in my life and I'm extremely grateful for it but I still feel like **** sometimes

Low key feel like I'm going to get punished for being depressed and have everything taken for me just to show me I had nothing to complain about
family loss?

Morning can be a B if you suffer from anxiety and/or depression. Like someone already said, remember to get your sleep in and make sure you eat breakfast.

I got laid off a month ago, so I'm having a bit of situational struggles. The finances, combined with the extra free time is taking it's toll a little.

I feel depressed at times. Some days are worse than others, but I just try to power through and key my eyes on the son and the father. Best of luck to everyone going through it.

Last edited:
So hard to meet new people when you become an adult. Problem is all my hobbies are fairly solitary and I don't like to feign enthusiasm for things I am not interested in (we spend all day doing that at work anyway).

Thanks for the advice. Not sure whether I was depressed per se but I reached the point where I need to make some changes.  Focused on finding a new job at the moment.

How to be productive when youre depressed? 

Also I heard yoga/ meditation is dope. Anyone take any classes? Havent found too many meditation ones a lot more yoga ones...probably filled with chicks lol

Last edited:
Good luck bro! you can get it through it man. the road to sobriety might be difficult if you have an addiction but in the long run its good for you

How to be productive when youre depressed? 
It is definitely easier said than done. I would try to have the mentality that certain negative feelings you may have at the time are temporary, whereas whatever work you're doing in school, a job, or in bettering yourself has tangible long-term effects. Realizing that it makes no sense to prioritize the temporary over the long-term should help to motivate you to be more productive.

Without productivity, if you're stuck in a bad place mentally you're likely remain there. By being productive and setting/accomplishing goals you're on the right path to working yourself out of that hole. If your current situation looks bleak, you've got to work towards creating new opportunities and making the most of them when they present themselves.

If all else fails, it helps to just start doing as opposed to thinking. A lot of it is just getting the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Good luck bro! you can get it through it man. the road to sobriety might be difficult if you have an addiction but in the long run its good for you
yes sir , it sounds stupid but with the nba back ,  2k , the new cod/star wars battlefrontt , and playing ball at the park will help me.....then days off i have my daughters so thats really easy ( i still enjoy chuck e cheese idc idc ) .....any other time im going to make sure im doing something productive , keeping my car clean , clean shaven , etc.......thanks for listening my man , the loneliness is what sets in the most after work and im literally alone for half the day ......then i end up picking up a buddy who has a blunt and then we pop xans and etc.........just going back to the basics of when i was young i would , get home , play basketball at the park , watch the heat at 7:30ish most nights or whatever game is on , then nba live/2k til i fell asleep ( when i had the system / games ) cant forget madden too............after typing this it seems like im going to get myself addicted to basketball instead of a drug , but hey i was in shape as a kid and had girls from that 3+ hours of full courts everyday ( lets see how that goes nowdays im not 15 anymore and like 50 lbs heavier easily lol ) ......26 now , i turn 27 in october .....im feeling optimistic and hoping i can "cure" this depression....i can try to just call it lonely but naw man .....right now im not happy with myself , my lifestyle - in any form .....im disappointed in myself at what im eating , how im not working out , how i have this deadend job with no future , etc.............first step is giving up these bad habits that make me lose time , hopefully can start school in january ..........ill keep those who care updated 
nthat.gif

Back
Top Bottom