**Official Dr. Dre Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre Thread **Album Out Now**

I like the album but it doesn't have any hit standout tracks that you'll continue to hear for years to come, like Chronic and 2001 did.

I hate that half the time I can't even pick out Dre on a song because he sounds so much like someone else.

Production is on point, lyrics are good. For some reason it just doesn't feel like the successor to The Chronic and 2001. Feels completely different.

I didn't like the album on first listen, but a few songs grew on me since then.

I hate that half the time I can't even pick out Dre on a song because he sounds so much like someone else.

Production is on point, lyrics are good. For some reason it just doesn't feel like the successor to The Chronic and 2001. Feels completely different.

it's supposed to be different. it's not the follow up to any of those albums. notice how he scrapped Detox.

Some of y'all are selling yourselves tickets, this ish light!!! Easy-E is rolling around his grave as we speak. Premier, Tim and Swizz still have signature sounds today, this man just has lost his magic touch. Dre tells you "Detox" was scrapped because he's a perfectionist and a complete album couldn't be constructed. Yet, some of y'all didn't have high expectations FOH. Think about the first time you heard "The Chronic" or "2001", this didn't even move me one bit like the previous two. Dre needs to release the lost tapes of Detox to save himself from this garbage.

people's expectations are so high, that anything he puts out won't even come near the Chronic or 2001
Cats don't understand the production aspect of this, all they care about is a catchy beat and the next catchphrase. Or they build up expectations in their head smh. The album has such a clean feel, If they ever released the instrumentals I'd cop lol

Half these cats didn't even know who eazy was..

I remember when I used to buy CDS at little record shops and came across the 2001 instrumentals only album on cd. My homey asked why I copped it since there were no lyrics. :smh:

^^^I'm hoping he does the same with this album and release the instrumentals so I can edit out every Paak feature. That way I can listen to the whole album without having to skip every other song on there.

I couldnt make out dre either. Didn't like the album from the first two spins.. For the love of money got me blasting old school bone though.

Hopefully it will grow on me

Lot of hate on Compton 
embarassed.gif
. I love it! 

Compton = Aftermath album Pt 2

Hopefully the movie and buzz surrounding everything has him wanting to create more then maybe we will get the follow up of 2001

Compton = Aftermath album Pt 2

Hopefully the movie and buzz surrounding everything has him wanting to create more then maybe we will get the follow up of 2001

Interesting comparison. I need to give that one a spin again but I distinctly remember at least 2 standout songs from that compilation. The only song that sounds different to me is the game song. Everything else just sort of blends together because his voice doesn't stand out like it previously did. I attribute that to having Kendrick around too much. Poor judgement on dre's part to use what's in style at the moment.

Album just keeps getting better and better to me. Really dissecting it production is top knotch, the rapping is ok but nowadays who really expects insane lyricism, maybe from certain cats but it's dre

The way cats use diff flows on a song, dre did the same with the production, changing up beats

Last edited:
Album just keeps getting better and better to me. Really dissecting it production is top knotch, the rapping is ok but nowadays who really expects insane lyricism, maybe from certain cats but it's dre

The way cats use diff flows on a song, dre did the same with the production, changing up beats
Agreed. The production on this album is on another level.

Finally listening again on my tv/soundbar and I'm felling it. Was on my headphones the first go round.

Bought the hard copy last night and played it in the ride this morning. So much better. The quality of the hard copy is just what you expect from Dre. The bass hits so much harder and deeper. Love this album more and more.

Bought the hard copy last night and played it in the ride this morning. So much better. The quality of the hard copy is just what you expect from Dre. The bass hits so much harder and deeper. Love this album more and more.

Cool. I'll pick up a copy today.

Two actually, one for me and one for my gf.

Last edited:
Finally gave this a listen. Played a full spin a few times while sippin on beer and the beats hit. Played on computer speakers with a 250watt woofer :pimp:

Ditto to Best Buy

Gave this two listens, and there's a lot of good on here. Mixed feelings going in just cause of such extremes when talking about it. Dre did a really good job updating his sound without drastically changing it. There's a real nice cohesive sound, which is the main thing I was concerned with after years of on and off hearing some straight mediocre Dre beats. All the beats on here sounded fresh and makes me look forward to future production from him.

What did bother me about this album. 1st, I don't know who Anderson Paak is, but he stinks. 2nd, I am a Kendrick. Lamar fan, and I have his 3 albums, but his ghostwriting presence on here is a major detriment to the album. There's 16 tracks on here, and it felt like Kendrick was in Dr. Dre's veins writing verses for 12-13 of them. It was graiting hearing Dre basically rap as Kendrick, whether rapping fast, or using those silly voice inflections he does sometimes. The very last song (which is my fave right now) is the ONLY song where Dre sounds like Dre and not Kendrick. Voice/tone wise I almost had to search for where Dre was on here.

All the guest appearances (minus Paak) were good too, especially Ice Cube and Xzibit. Kendrick's actual features were dope too, but him obviously writing nearly every Dre verse is a big hit to the album. Dre has had multiple ghostwriters for a long time, but none this blatant and bothersome. I don't see how that happened as him and Kendrick's "Compton" from GKMC was the total opposite, like somebody else wrote it and Dre used his normal rapping voice.

Back
Top Bottom