Official Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears Vol. MNF at Soldier Field!

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Lol why is that article comparing Cutler with Rodgers. Its been 2 games, he isnt touchin Rodgers
JayRod...no
as of right now rodgers isnt "touchin" cutler could that change yep since like you said its only week 2 but right now cutler is balling and rodgers isnt

anyways

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16871/friday-injury-report-packers-bears[/h3]
[h3]Friday injury report: Packers-Bears[/h3]
September, 24, 2010
Sep 24

5:09

PM ET

By Kevin Seifert

Because the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears aren't playing until Monday night, they're not required to classify the status of injured players until Saturday. So here are the highlights of Friday's practice participation:

Chicago Bears: Left tackle Chris Williams (hamstring) and safety Major Wright (hamstring) were the only players who didn't practice. We already know Wright won't play against the Packers, but it's starting to look unlikely for Williams as well. All other players, including linebacker Lance Briggs (ankle) are on track to play.

Green Bay Packers: The offensive line took another hit Friday when left guard Daryn Colledge sat out because of a sprained knee suffered in Thursday's practice. Rookie Bryan Bulaga replaced Colledge, leaving left tackle to Chad Clifton (knee). Coach Mike McCarthy said he is "concerned" about Colledge, who rarely misses practice. He said he thought Clifton moved well in practice, but suffice it to say, the left side of the Packers' offensive line is in flux. The Packers also limited defensive end Ryan Pickett (hamstring), and could not get rookie defensive end Mike Neal (side/rib) on the practice field.

over/under on 8 sacks combined in this game?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16844/page/MNF/packers-bears-i-the-pass-rushers[/h3]
[h3]Packers-Bears I: The pass-rushers[/h3]
September, 25, 2010
Sep 25

12:00

PM ET

By Kevin Seifert

nfl_ai_matthews_peppers_b1_576.jpg
AP Photo, Icon SMIWhen Green Bay and Chicago meet on Monday night, the offenses will be focused on handling pass-rushers Clay Matthews (left, Packers) and Julius Peppers (Bears).
The rule is simple and time-tested. In the NFL, it's all about the quarterbacks. They generate most of the blame, attract the majority of the credit and get all of the girls. We paid our respects at the quarterback altar last week, noting the new relevance of the "JayRod" rivalry in anticipation of Monday night's matchup between the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears.

So enough already with the pleasantries. What if we suggested that the two best players at Soldier Field won't be the Bears' Jay Cutler or the Packers' Aaron Rodgers? What if we cast our gaze to the other side of the ball and recognize the two men charged with stopping said quarterbacks?

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews leads the NFL with six sacks entering Week 3. Bears defensive end Julius Peppers has been among the league's top pass-rushers since arriving in 2002, enough to have elicited a $91.5 million free-agent contract from the Bears in March.

Quarterback play might ultimately decide this showdown of 2-0 teams, but no players are in better position to impact their performances than Matthews and Peppers. With that dynamic in mind, I pulled together thoughts from a wide variety of sources on both players. Let's break them down from every angle as the clock ticks toward Monday night at 8:30 p.m. ET.

Clay Matthews
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 255

[h4]SACK LEADERS SINCE START OF 09 SEASON*[/h4][table][tr][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]Team[/th][th=""]Sacks[/th][/tr][tr][td]Elvis Dumervil[/td][td]Broncos[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Freeney[/td][td]Colts[/td][td]16.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Clay Matthews[/td][td]Packers[/td][td]16[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jared Allen[/td][td]Vikings[/td][td]15.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]LaMarr Woodley[/td][td]Steelers[/td][td]15.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]*Through Week 2 of 2010
Source: Pro-football-reference.com [/td][/tr][/table]
Interesting fact: Legend has it that the Packers identified Matthews as an ideal fit for their new 3-4 scheme, leading them to trade up to draft him in April 2009. The reality, as coach Mike McCarthy reiterated last week, is that general manager Ted Thompson was locked in on Matthews after a scouting trip in the fall of 2008, long before the decision was made to change schemes.
Quotable: A reporter informed Matthews he is on pace for a 48-sack season. Matthews laughed and said: "I think it's a little early to go there. What's the record? 22.5?" Indeed it is, set by the New York Giants' Michael Strahan in 2001.
Player viewpoint: "He's got a high engine. His motor is always going. He gets off blocks really well. Once he does get the quarterback in his sights, he attacks really well and finishes. You don't see many guys get away from him." (Cutler)
Scouts viewpoint: "He is making a very early case for the Defensive Player of the Year award. He is tremendous and just keeps coming. James Harrison and Dwight Freeney are the only two guys in the league who come to mind that can dip their shoulder as low as he does without losing speed coming around the edge. His first step is very quick. He has counter moves. He is an excellent hand-placement player. And the Packers use him all over the formation, rushing him from both sides and even in the middle from a two-point stance. Compared to Peppers, Matthews is clearly the better technician and effort player." (Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.)
Statistical viewpoint: As you see in the first chart, Matthews has the third-most sacks in the NFL since the start of the 2009 season. Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders goes deeper: In 16 games last season, which included 13 starts, Matthews had 10 sacks. But he also knocked down the quarterback on 12 other plays, and hurried the quarterback on 21 more.
Reader viewpoint (We tossed the topic out to you last week): "Too many here are missing the point about the difference in how the players are used (starting with K/S). Peppers can be double-teamed, probably will be. Teams have tried to double-team Matthews all year and due to the confusion [defensive coordinator Dom] Capers creates. He's had sacks where he beat less than two men several times already. Double-teamed Peppers vs. one-on-one Matthews will be advantage Matthews. It has been so far (6-1). Just because you know he's coming hasn't helped anyone stop him thus far. Given appropriate attention, Peppers has been shut down all year except for on the one play. Expect that to continue." (LamboLeak)

Julius Peppers
Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 305 pounds (as of training camp)

[h4]SACK LEADERS SINCE START OF 02 SEASON*[/h4][table][tr][th=""]Players[/th][th=""]Seasons[/th][th=""]Sacks[/th][/tr][tr][td]Jason Taylor[/td][td]9[/td][td]89.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Freeney[/td][td]9[/td][td]87.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Julius Peppers[/td][td]9[/td][td]82.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]John Abraham[/td][td]9[/td][td]73.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jared Allen[/td][td]7[/td][td]73.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]*Through Week 2 of 2010
Interesting fact: Peppers is often said to have a prototypical pass-rusher's build. What does this mean? Obviously, being 6-foot-7 helps overwhelm linemen and disrupt quarterbacks. But if you're an arm length guy -- in other words, if you believe arm length can make a difference in pass blocking and pass rushing -- Peppers is an amazing specimen. His arms measured 34 1/8" during the 2002 scouting combine. The average left tackle in the NFL measures about 33 1/2". If used correctly, that's a substantial leverage advantage on every play.
Quotable:
Peppers is shy and soft-spoken in public settings, helping fuel his reputation for occasional disinterest. Speaking this summer in training camp, however, Peppers said he is simply unfazed by public attention. "That's just how I handle it," Peppers said. "I've been the center of attention for pretty much my whole life. It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't change me. It's just me."
Player viewpoint: "I have high expectations for Julius. I expect a sack every play." (Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.)
Scout's viewpoint: "He is off the charts from a physical standpoint but will disappear at times. He goes stretches where you don't notice him. That is a shame. But when he's on, he is as good as anyone and really is a player without a true weakness. He has the prototypical long athletic pass-rusher build, and plays big with his ability to keep blockers off his frame and disrupt passing lanes. He can beat an offensive tackle with power or speed, and the Bears are smart to be moving him back and forth from the right and left sides. In this environment, I think he will give everything he has." (Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.)
Statistical viewpoint: The second chart shows the Peppers has 82 sacks since he joined the Carolina Panthers eight years ago, the third-highest total over that span. But as with Matthews, sacks alone don't tell the full story. For example, notes Barnwell, Peppers had 12 knockdowns last season and 28 hurries in addition to his 10.5 sacks.
Reader viewpoint: "Once again there is no 'I' in team. Julius Peppers has made the defense for the Bears better. While he may not be compiling the numbers Matthews is, he is drawing more coverage so the other guys can make plays. 'Mr. Rodgers' meet 'Dr. Peppers.' Chicago defense will rule." (4everbearfan)

I cant get enough of this %+*%
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16844/page/MNF/packers-bears-i-the-pass-rushers[/h3]
[h3]Packers-Bears I: The pass-rushers[/h3]
September, 25, 2010
Sep 25

12:00

PM ET

By Kevin Seifert

nfl_ai_matthews_peppers_b1_576.jpg
AP Photo, Icon SMIWhen Green Bay and Chicago meet on Monday night, the offenses will be focused on handling pass-rushers Clay Matthews (left, Packers) and Julius Peppers (Bears).
The rule is simple and time-tested. In the NFL, it's all about the quarterbacks. They generate most of the blame, attract the majority of the credit and get all of the girls. We paid our respects at the quarterback altar last week, noting the new relevance of the "JayRod" rivalry in anticipation of Monday night's matchup between the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears.

So enough already with the pleasantries. What if we suggested that the two best players at Soldier Field won't be the Bears' Jay Cutler or the Packers' Aaron Rodgers? What if we cast our gaze to the other side of the ball and recognize the two men charged with stopping said quarterbacks?

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews leads the NFL with six sacks entering Week 3. Bears defensive end Julius Peppers has been among the league's top pass-rushers since arriving in 2002, enough to have elicited a $91.5 million free-agent contract from the Bears in March.

Quarterback play might ultimately decide this showdown of 2-0 teams, but no players are in better position to impact their performances than Matthews and Peppers. With that dynamic in mind, I pulled together thoughts from a wide variety of sources on both players. Let's break them down from every angle as the clock ticks toward Monday night at 8:30 p.m. ET.

Clay Matthews
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 255

[h4]SACK LEADERS SINCE START OF 09 SEASON*[/h4][table][tr][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]Team[/th][th=""]Sacks[/th][/tr][tr][td]Elvis Dumervil[/td][td]Broncos[/td][td]17[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Freeney[/td][td]Colts[/td][td]16.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Clay Matthews[/td][td]Packers[/td][td]16[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jared Allen[/td][td]Vikings[/td][td]15.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]LaMarr Woodley[/td][td]Steelers[/td][td]15.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]*Through Week 2 of 2010
Interesting fact: Legend has it that the Packers identified Matthews as an ideal fit for their new 3-4 scheme, leading them to trade up to draft him in April 2009. The reality, as coach Mike McCarthy reiterated last week, is that general manager Ted Thompson was locked in on Matthews after a scouting trip in the fall of 2008, long before the decision was made to change schemes.
Quotable: A reporter informed Matthews he is on pace for a 48-sack season. Matthews laughed and said: "I think it's a little early to go there. What's the record? 22.5?" Indeed it is, set by the New York Giants' Michael Strahan in 2001.
Player viewpoint: "He's got a high engine. His motor is always going. He gets off blocks really well. Once he does get the quarterback in his sights, he attacks really well and finishes. You don't see many guys get away from him." (Cutler)
Scouts viewpoint: "He is making a very early case for the Defensive Player of the Year award. He is tremendous and just keeps coming. James Harrison and Dwight Freeney are the only two guys in the league who come to mind that can dip their shoulder as low as he does without losing speed coming around the edge. His first step is very quick. He has counter moves. He is an excellent hand-placement player. And the Packers use him all over the formation, rushing him from both sides and even in the middle from a two-point stance. Compared to Peppers, Matthews is clearly the better technician and effort player." (Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.)
Statistical viewpoint: As you see in the first chart, Matthews has the third-most sacks in the NFL since the start of the 2009 season. Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders goes deeper: In 16 games last season, which included 13 starts, Matthews had 10 sacks. But he also knocked down the quarterback on 12 other plays, and hurried the quarterback on 21 more.
Reader viewpoint (We tossed the topic out to you last week): "Too many here are missing the point about the difference in how the players are used (starting with K/S). Peppers can be double-teamed, probably will be. Teams have tried to double-team Matthews all year and due to the confusion [defensive coordinator Dom] Capers creates. He's had sacks where he beat less than two men several times already. Double-teamed Peppers vs. one-on-one Matthews will be advantage Matthews. It has been so far (6-1). Just because you know he's coming hasn't helped anyone stop him thus far. Given appropriate attention, Peppers has been shut down all year except for on the one play. Expect that to continue." (LamboLeak)

Julius Peppers
Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 305 pounds (as of training camp)

[h4]SACK LEADERS SINCE START OF 02 SEASON*[/h4][table][tr][th=""]Players[/th][th=""]Seasons[/th][th=""]Sacks[/th][/tr][tr][td]Jason Taylor[/td][td]9[/td][td]89.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Freeney[/td][td]9[/td][td]87.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Julius Peppers[/td][td]9[/td][td]82.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]John Abraham[/td][td]9[/td][td]73.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jared Allen[/td][td]7[/td][td]73.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]*Through Week 2 of 2010
Interesting fact: Peppers is often said to have a prototypical pass-rusher's build. What does this mean? Obviously, being 6-foot-7 helps overwhelm linemen and disrupt quarterbacks. But if you're an arm length guy -- in other words, if you believe arm length can make a difference in pass blocking and pass rushing -- Peppers is an amazing specimen. His arms measured 34 1/8" during the 2002 scouting combine. The average left tackle in the NFL measures about 33 1/2". If used correctly, that's a substantial leverage advantage on every play.
Quotable:
Peppers is shy and soft-spoken in public settings, helping fuel his reputation for occasional disinterest. Speaking this summer in training camp, however, Peppers said he is simply unfazed by public attention. "That's just how I handle it," Peppers said. "I've been the center of attention for pretty much my whole life. It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't change me. It's just me."
Player viewpoint: "I have high expectations for Julius. I expect a sack every play." (Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.)
Scout's viewpoint: "He is off the charts from a physical standpoint but will disappear at times. He goes stretches where you don't notice him. That is a shame. But when he's on, he is as good as anyone and really is a player without a true weakness. He has the prototypical long athletic pass-rusher build, and plays big with his ability to keep blockers off his frame and disrupt passing lanes. He can beat an offensive tackle with power or speed, and the Bears are smart to be moving him back and forth from the right and left sides. In this environment, I think he will give everything he has." (Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.)
Statistical viewpoint: The second chart shows the Peppers has 82 sacks since he joined the Carolina Panthers eight years ago, the third-highest total over that span. But as with Matthews, sacks alone don't tell the full story. For example, notes Barnwell, Peppers had 12 knockdowns last season and 28 hurries in addition to his 10.5 sacks.
Reader viewpoint: "Once again there is no 'I' in team. Julius Peppers has made the defense for the Bears better. While he may not be compiling the numbers Matthews is, he is drawing more coverage so the other guys can make plays. 'Mr. Rodgers' meet 'Dr. Peppers.' Chicago defense will rule." (4everbearfan)

I cant get enough of this %+*%
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Greg_A_Bedard

Oh my RT @BradBiggs: #Bears will be without LT Chris Williams on Monday night. Expect Frank Omiyale to play LT and Kevin Shaffer to play RT.

So it can get worse
laugh.gif

Greg_A_Bedard

Oh my RT @BradBiggs: #Bears will be without LT Chris Williams on Monday night. Expect Frank Omiyale to play LT and Kevin Shaffer to play RT.

So it can get worse
laugh.gif

Believe it or not the line played better when he went out didn't allow 1 sack after the change so yea I don't think that's worse and they had over a week to play together so they should be ok

should being the key word
laugh.gif

Believe it or not the line played better when he went out didn't allow 1 sack after the change so yea I don't think that's worse and they had over a week to play together so they should be ok

should being the key word
laugh.gif

1.)  Anyone know what game(s) we are wearing those god-awful throwbacks for?

2.)  Jesus...I didn't realize clay Matthews was that ripped
eek.gif
sick.gif

1.)  Anyone know what game(s) we are wearing those god-awful throwbacks for?

2.)  Jesus...I didn't realize clay Matthews was that ripped
eek.gif
sick.gif

Yeah, Bears played better without Chris Williams after he left the game early...

We'll be alright....

Yeah, Bears played better without Chris Williams after he left the game early...

We'll be alright....

Well, I have had a 14 pound brisket smoking since 7 O'clock last night. I have got the bags waiting and the beer chilling. MNF is almost here.

Well, I have had a 14 pound brisket smoking since 7 O'clock last night. I have got the bags waiting and the beer chilling. MNF is almost here.

I'm a Packers fan, so a bit biased ofcourse.

I really want to see how the bears defend Finley, I don't see them having anyone that can run with him.

I'm a Packers fan, so a bit biased ofcourse.

I really want to see how the bears defend Finley, I don't see them having anyone that can run with him.

Back
Top Bottom