Official iPhone 4 UPDATE: "Nobody Comes Close." - Steve Jobs. Release; June 24th Pre Orders 15th

The upgrade status are probablly not updated seeing how you can not buy the phone yet and it's the only phone allowing the 6 month early upgrade

will there be an unlock or jailbreak available ? im currently on t-mobile and recently sold my 3G if that matters.

A Gold Master release of iOS 4 (née iPhone OS) was seeded to developers yesterday. And the next iPhone's software has been surprisingly accommodating to jailbreakers' attempts to crack it wide open.

The current technique was finagled from existing jailbreak software (Pwnagetool, specifically) by msft.guy. On top of this prerelease hack, the iPhone Dev Team is claiming to have an unlock of their own nearly prepped for iOS 4 final, to be released within a month (presumably to coincide with the release of iPhone 4). In other words, come iOS 4's official release, you should be able to jailbreak your handset—or at least your iPhone 3GS. (Nobody's been able to test the exploit on an iPhone 4.

Instructions for trying the current jailbreak, for 3GS only, are available here, but it's probably a bad choice: The final release of the software is set for the end of this month, at which point the jailbreaking process will likely be streamlined (and anointed by the Dev Team), and after which your jailbreak will last longer than a few weeks. [RedmondPie]

http://gizmodo.com/5558277/ios-4-jailbroken-within-a-day-of-first-release

jailbroken already. doubt it'll work on the iphone 4 right away due to the different internals but it's promising.

blah!

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

The upgrade status are probablly not updated seeing how you can not buy the phone yet and it's the only phone allowing the 6 month early upgrade
Exactly.  My buddy wife is due in October for an upgrade and her date hasn't even been rolled back yet.  I'm sure as the 24th approaches more people upgrade dates will be rolled back.

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Exactly.  My buddy wife is due in October for an upgrade and her date hasn't even been rolled back yet.  I'm sure as the 24th approaches more people upgrade dates will be rolled back.

Originally Posted by NothinAfter

"discounted at a higher price"

I thoght that mean you get the phone for $399 or $499?

depending on which gig

my contract is up in 2011... And they are telling me the same thing
frown.gif

Originally Posted by piczon1983

So this is what it says on my AT&T account:

[table]

[tr]
[td]

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 11/13/2010
[/td]
[td]

Select
[/td][/tr]
[tr]
[td]

iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 11/13/2010  
[/td][/tr][/table]

My contract ends Nov 2010. Does that mean I get the 199/299 price? What does it mean by " Discounted Iphone upgrade at a higher price" ?

no, these upgrade dates are correct

the reason why they arent updated to allow you to get a full subsidy is because your contract doesnt end in 2010, when you sign a 2 year contract, after 1 year and 6 months, ATT allows you to get a full subsidy, which is 6 months before your contract ends

this means your upgrade date is in 2010, however your contract ends sometime in 2011

the reason why they arent updated to allow you to get a full subsidy is because your contract doesnt end in 2010, when you sign a 2 year contract, after 1 year and 6 months, ATT allows you to get a full subsidy, which is 6 months before your contract ends

this means your upgrade date is in 2010, however your contract ends sometime in 2011
Dammit. Just called AT&T . My upgrade aint untill Nov 2010. She told me I cant get em for 199/299. Instead I pay 299/399. Oh well
mad.gif

hopefully something changes when releases comes

Dammit. Just called AT&T . My upgrade aint untill Nov 2010. She told me I cant get em for 199/299. Instead I pay 299/399. Oh well
mad.gif

Thats not even that bad..

editor in chief proclaiming the iphone 4 the best phone he has ever used

ninjahood is mad

mad.gif

Are you sure she didn't say you pay 399/499? Because I'm eligible for an early upgrade at a higher price than the full subsidy like you are. But I'm almost positive it's 399/499.

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

Aight let me go ahead be the only unbiased person in this thread.

All this debate about what phone does what, and which phone is better is absolutely USELESS! And you can thank iPhone for that. Since the inception of the iPhone, developers have been goin HARD trying to beat it. Making the cell phone market an exciting and forever re-innovating market. But honestly....ALL these new 'Smartphones' are EXACTLY the same #!%* different toilet. Really all of these phones coming out, do great is a vast area of things. Their cameras are good, the internet is good, the apps are plentiful, and the OS is good. Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages which puts all of these phone at pretty much and equal level.

Really the only difference is what carrier, what plan do you use, and how much does the phone cost? I'm pretty sure that if someone handed you an iPhone 4, or an Evo 4g, or a Nokia N1, etc you all would be pretty satisfied because all those phones are great in their own right.

And lets be honest the MAJORITY of us don't even use half of the features they list on these phones. Get real for once, the only #!%* y'all do on these phones is text, and go on the internet, and occasionally you will play with an app or two. Who gives a ++$! about an HDMI port, and iPhone FaceTime? People are really going to use that? No. It's just a cool thing that people will use for  maybe a week and then forget about it. Not to mention the majority of the people on your contact list wont even have a front facing camera. In an era where people are affraid to communicate directly to one another, instead we use texting, facebook, and twitter to talk....do y'all honestly think you are going to use a FaceTime or Quik? The hell outta here with that. 
laugh.gif

The ONLY thing iPhone wins by miles is Apps and development. When something new is in development ...the iPhone is almost guaranteed to have it. Their app store is dwarfs other cell phone app stores, albeit alot of that stuff in the app store is garbage and a waste of time.  And if you are a person like me, who thinks that most of these apps are worthless and they take up your time and money, than apps dont apply to you.

All this back and forth but when it all boils down, people will spend over $200 on a device that you will only use text, internet, and music on.

with that said, hand me a Blackberry Bold with a Bolt browser and I'm set.
-The Juice
well said, but i have to disagree. Techy people do use or will use the supposedly "useless" features like HDMI and video calling. Sure its not going to be a majority now, but it will slowly sink in like internet, texting, cameras have. 
My advice isnt to buy the best phone out, whether you think its the newest iphone or something else with the longest spec sheet (its never an iphone btw). People need to get the best phone that fits their usage and their budget.

Originally Posted by Hizzle

mad.gif

Are you sure she didn't say you pay 399/499? Because I'm eligible for an early upgrade at a higher price than the full subsidy like you are. But I'm almost positive it's 399/499.

I was told 299/399. Ima call back and double check though......

Originally Posted by jc619er

Truthfully it's the carrier issue I think most people are frustrated with. If the iPhone was for any carrier no phone on the market would stand a chance against it. Because whether it does this or that or whatever, it's just a sick looking phone that's marketed incredibly well, just like iPods. Yeah there's thousands of other MP3 players out there and some people prefer the Zune and others but when it comes down to it, iPod reigns supreme because it looks pretty, it's easy to use, it's marketed great and anybody can buy it and use it. The iPhone takes its knocks because not everyone can get it because it's not on their carrier and people with bad credit (like me) wouldn't want to switch a carrier just to get it and pay a ridiculous deposit. I've luckily been on AT&T since day one 13 years ago when it was called Pac Bell in my area. So for me the iPhone has always been the winner because it's the best phone on my carrier. Now if I was on Sprint or Verizon or T-Mobile then I'd go with an Evo or Droid or HD2 or whatever was the big dog phone because they all do great stuff. But if I had ultimate choice without any carrier boundaries then I'd always roll with iPhone because of physical design, great ease of use, apps and after market products for it that everybody on the market makes like cases and things like that.

And let's face it if the iPhone wasn't so great then so many people wouldn't always argue how their phone is better than the iPhone. You never hear the discussion of how many phones are better than the Droid, etc. It's always every big phone that comes out and how much better it is than the iPhone. iPhone is always winning for that reason alone.

Since its not on Verizon (the BEST network ALL AROUND -- Hands down) I will say that I'll be using android.

laugh.gif
  This phone has people upgrading super early.  I've never seen a phone that makes people want to spend extra money and get a new 2-year contract before.  People can't wait, the phone is like a drug to them.

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

Aight let me go ahead be the only unbiased person in this thread.

All this debate about what phone does what, and which phone is better is absolutely USELESS! And you can thank iPhone for that. Since the inception of the iPhone, developers have been goin HARD trying to beat it. Making the cell phone market an exciting and forever re-innovating market. But honestly....ALL these new 'Smartphones' are EXACTLY the same #!%* different toilet. Really all of these phones coming out, do great is a vast area of things. Their cameras are good, the internet is good, the apps are plentiful, and the OS is good. Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages which puts all of these phone at pretty much and equal level.

Really the only difference is what carrier, what plan do you use, and how much does the phone cost? I'm pretty sure that if someone handed you an iPhone 4, or an Evo 4g, or a Nokia N1, etc you all would be pretty satisfied because all those phones are great in their own right.

And lets be honest the MAJORITY of us don't even use half of the features they list on these phones. Get real for once, the only #!%* y'all do on these phones is text, and go on the internet, and occasionally you will play with an app or two. Who gives a ++$! about an HDMI port, and iPhone FaceTime? People are really going to use that? No. It's just a cool thing that people will use for  maybe a week and then forget about it. Not to mention the majority of the people on your contact list wont even have a front facing camera. In an era where people are affraid to communicate directly to one another, instead we use texting, facebook, and twitter to talk....do y'all honestly think you are going to use a FaceTime or Quik? The hell outta here with that. 
laugh.gif

The ONLY thing iPhone wins by miles is Apps and development. When something new is in development ...the iPhone is almost guaranteed to have it. Their app store is dwarfs other cell phone app stores, albeit alot of that stuff in the app store is garbage and a waste of time.  And if you are a person like me, who thinks that most of these apps are worthless and they take up your time and money, than apps dont apply to you.

All this back and forth but when it all boils down, people will spend over $200 on a device that you will only use text, internet, and music on.

with that said, hand me a Blackberry Bold with a Bolt browser and I'm set.
-The Juice
QFT

I agree with every point. I had a 3GS, jailbroken, and every app I wanted for free. I couldn't warrant paying 100+ a month for texting, FB, and Engadget.
Got the Palm Pre now for Sprint. I'm happy and satisfied. Now I need the EVO 4G.

I've owned every mobile platform except Andriod so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by NothinAfter

"discounted at a higher price"

I thoght that mean you get the phone for $399 or $499?

depending on which gig

my contract is up in 2011... And they are telling me the same thing
frown.gif

So this is what it says on my AT&T account:

[table]

[tr]
[td]

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 11/13/2010
[/td]
[td]

Select
[/td][/tr]
[tr]
[td]

iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 11/13/2010  
[/td][/tr][/table]

My contract ends Nov 2010. Does that mean I get the 199/299 price? What does it mean by " Discounted Iphone upgrade at a higher price" ?

ATT spokesperson said this though

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20006997-266.html

Q: Let's say I already have an iPhone, but I still am on a contract for my previous iPhone. When am I able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 for the discounted price?
Siegel: iPhone customers eligible for an upgrade between now and the end of the year can get the discounted price on the device. We've accelerated upgrade eligibility for iPhone customers so they can experience the new device as soon as possible.

During the keynote Jobs said that if your contract ends any time during 2010, you can get a new iPhone 4 for the discounted price if you re-sign a new contract. Is this true?
Siegel: If you are an iPhone customer who is upgrade-eligible this year, you can get the best price. Eligibility may or may not coincide with the end of your contract. It depends on your individual situation.

How much will the 16GB and 32GB models of the new iPhone 4 cost without a subsidy and contract? Is that option available?
Siegel: Yes, the phones are available without a contract and without a subsidy. The 16GB iPhone will cost $599 and the 32GB iPhone is $699.

From AT&T spokesperson, looks like I will be eligible after all even if my upgrade date is Dec 2010.

I have had Verizon for over 10 years and I am about to drop them to get the Iphone4. Is Verizon the best network? I have had plenty of drop calls and several locations I have been to I had no service while friends who have at&t had service. I have a Verizon Storm and surfing the net is a pain. It takes a good minute for a web page to come up. Should I expect the same from AT&T?

^^ Depends on where you live. I have friends who have Verizon and at times, they won't have any service when I'm at full bars (I'm on the iPhone on ATT). But then again, I've heard that places like San Francisco really have huge issues with ATT.

I think people make ATT seem way worse than they already are. I really don't like the data cap on their data plans, but if you think about where they're coming from, everybody and their mom wants an iPhone and that'll put too much of a stress on their network.

You can always try it out for up to 30 days, and if you're not satisfied with the reception/the phone, you can return it. That's what I think most people should do before they buy a phone anyway, I mean, if youre gonna be going into a 2 year commitment, you should at least try it at the places you'll use the phone the most to see if it'll work.

Originally Posted by NICKLE DIME BAY

every situation is different, it depends on your individual situation

its been said that AT&T will allow 3GS users to upgrade on full subsidy under certain circumstances, such as paying at least $100 a month on an individual plan

ive been reading many people who bought the 3GS complaining they can't upgrade, which is stupid because they signed a 2 year contract and they believe they deserve the new iphone for a subsidized price, they ask these questions, and usually the answer is no, they cant get the new iphone for 199 unless they use another upgrade or something that isnt usual

I don't have Verizon service anywhere near my house, so I got my family to switch a while ago. I've never had any problems with AT&T anywhere, except for the usual places like the Metro.

June 24th will be a good day. That early upgrade fee, however, is going to kill me.

Im on an att family plan right now, with one other person. We share 550 minutes a month (I barely ever use my phone for calling, so its fine) and I have unlimited texts. I want to upgrade to the iphone 4 and im off contract currently. Will my only added expense to the plan be the 25 dollar data fee? Or am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Im on an att family plan right now, with one other person. We share 550 minutes a month (I barely ever use my phone for calling, so its fine) and I have unlimited texts. I want to upgrade to the iphone 4 and im off contract currently. Will my only added expense to the plan be the 25 dollar data fee? Or am I missing something here?

that is correct, however theres also taxes

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

that is correct, however theres also taxes
Oh ok thats awesome then. Yeah I know there's those miscellaneous taxes/charges added onto everything, I was just making sure that only real piece I had to add was data.

Now I need to figure out how to sell my BB Tour and 64gb touch. (Offers welcome)
laugh.gif

I spoke with Att rep i was told for early upgrade is ,399/499. And all people wondering are you elgible just dial *639# and it will send you a txt shortly letting you know

so if the text message reads "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." were good to go?

Originally Posted by JayMosEnvied

so if the text message reads "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee." were good to go?

Yessir, you're set
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom