[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

The Philies simply do not have as good of a pitching staff as the Mets. You can argue that the Philies have the best lineup in the National League... but whenthe Mets are healthy, they are just as good as anyone. And btw, can someone send me one of those Mets sigs?

I don't care what ya'll say, I loved Dookie on this squad.

And before that Johan trade, I was ready to give Omar an F for the off-season. (Don't front, a lot of you were too!).

But let's see what happens this year. Hopefully the Amazin's get off to a fast start like last year.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Hopefully the Amazin's get off to have a fast start strong finish unlike last year.

embarassed.gif

I'm gonna need to post up in this thread. My eyes can't believe some of the @#+@ I'm seeing in that NL East thread.

Petey and Johan are supposed to be looking good so far, they've developed a good bond and know that they'll need each other to succeed, to some extent.If Maine & Ollie can continue to improve but stay solid in the middle-back of the rotation both keeping good K:BB, I'm happy.

Duaner's working towards getting back to normal which we needs. If that taxi accident in Miami had never happened, I think things would've worked outmuch better.

They're getting prospects in along with an inning or so from the starters on schedule, just to get the ball rolling. I'm interested in hearing moreabout Niese & Kunz, among others. Word is that El Duque's whole body is practically looking like it's shot and MetsBlog had a source that said itlooked like he was throwing at "wiffle ball speed." Pelfrey better be ready.

Mets in the World Series.

If I were a betting man, I'd book it.

There's NO WAY that a team this talented can suffer a collapse as historical as last year's... and fail to learn from it. This isn't like a littlemishap that happens to one guy that screws it up for everyone; this was a TEAM collapse, and there is too much talent and grit in this team to fail to learnfrom what happened last year.

I firmly believe that.

I believe that so firmly that even if the Mets started off terrible, I would still believe they would at least MAKE the playoffs... and keep going.

As for the World Series itself? Way too early for me to call that, but I am confident that the National League representative come October will be theMetropolitans.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Anyone know when Mets single game tickets are available?

I'd like to know also.
I may have to see the Yankees play at Shea this season.(That's if I don't get tickets to the Subway Series at YankeeStadium tomorrow morning.)

I haven't seen information on Mets.com, so hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks to anyone who helps.

WOW@ Lastings
smh.gif

[h1]Lastings Milledge rips Mets again[/h1]
BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 28th 2008, 4:00 AM

amd_lastings2.jpg
Simmons/News
Lastings Milledge had many ups-and-down with the Mets, both with the bat and with the glove (below).

amd_lastings.jpg
Keivom/News

LAKELAND, Fla. - From high-fiving fans, to showboating after meaningless home runs, to arriving late at the ballpark more than a few times, Lastings Milledge certainly stirred things up during his brief stay withthe Mets.

And while he's with the Nationals now, he still can't seem to avoid creating controversy where the Mets are concerned.

The talented yet troubled outfielder sent a few shots from Nationals camp in Viera, Fla., to his old friends in Port St. Lucie this week.

"I can't go through anything worse than I went through in New York. It only gets better from here," Milledge told SI.com. "A lot of veterans (on the Mets) didn't like the way Iplay the game. They thought I didn't respect it."

One of those vets was Billy Wagner, who put up a sign that said "Knowyour place, rook" in Milledge's locker during a road trip to D.C. Even the ultra-politically correct David Wright took a few shots at Milledge when the rookiearrived only an hour before a game in Philadelphia in 2006.

And then there was the infamous rap record Milledge made with friend Manny D that featured explicit lyrics that also irked the Mets.

Of course, Milledge's most publicized incident came in his fifth big league game, on June 4, 2006, when he hit a game-tying homer off the Giants'Armando Benitez at Shea. When he came back onto the field for the topof the 11th inning, he high-fived fans along the right-field foul line, drawing the ire of the Giants and many of his own teammates, including Cliff Floyd, who said, "Oh, boy. He has a little growing up to do."

Milledge didn't seem to get the message last season, as he went ballistic on umpire Jim Joyce, in a Sept. 20 game in Miami, after being called out on strikes.Joyce tossed him from the game, which the Mets lost, 8-7.

Then, in the second-to-last game of the season, Milledge homered twice against Florida at Shea, but his overzealous celebration didn't sit well with theMarlins, who hammered the Mets the next afternoon, ending theirseason.

Milledge hit 11 homers and drove in 51 runs in 115 games over two seasons in Flushing, and at just 22 years old, he seemed to have a bright future with the Mets.

But his offseason trade to Washington for catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church ended his stay in New York. And Milledge couldn't be happier.

"The vets here have no problem with me," he said. "They know I respect (the game). They know I work hard."

I could care less, but I wish him success and I hope he has a good career.

But lets not cry over spilled milk, it's not like he's somebody PROVEN. He had a lot of bad route playing his natural position of CF and stillcan't hit anything but a fastball (as most young hitters). I'd like to see how he adjusts his game, word to MLB Extra Innings.

I would watch but I'm busy @ work, plus I would probably be bored because the pitchers are basically working on their mechanics, location, trying newthings, etc.

I heard he gave up a dinger though, but who cares. I just want to see everybody ready and in shape for opening day.

TELL ME ABOUT IT, THE SEASON IS O V E R !

O V E R ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

can't wait for the season to start,so disappoined from last year. I believe that if we stay healthy, then we're in the world series playing againstDetroit. I really like this years team because there are almost no holes (and no Mota). All we need is a solid right hand hitter off the bench againstleft-handers like Hammels and we're set. I hope Pedro starts our first game and Santana pitches the home opener, because I already ordered tickets
pimp.gif

Did anyone catch this during the Spring Training game yesterday, I was confused but LMAO at the same time.
laugh.gif

Honestly the Mets are not doing anything this year.

First of all, this team got really old really fast. I hate how this org. loves old players and gives up on youngin's whenever they can. There are 4 oldguys in the starting lineup and they are all question marks. Delgado had a terrible year and now they are hoping he can produce again. But now hes getting a+*@$-load of injuries and is probably in his twilight years. Alou is good but he can only play half a season and isn't really a run producer anymore. Andthey're batting back-to-back which is terrible. And then there is Castillo who runs like he's 80 yrs old and had surgery in the offseason. What a wasteof money when Anderson Hernandez does the exact same thing. And Schneider cannot hit a beach ball.

Second, trading Milledge for Church and Schneider was the dumbest trade i've ever witnessed. Even worse than Kazmir. I swear the FO loves old and mediocreplayers. They think they can win every single year, but they never realize that championships are never won on paper. So instead of letting young guys play anddevelop, they trade them off for some vets that they think can help the team but NEVER do.

As soon as this org. steps in the right direction, Reyes/Wright/Maine/Beltran, they revert back to their old ways. And that way will never win.

^ I think your over-exaggerating a bit too much. The only real question mark is 1st Base, it depends if he can step up again (he did have his good streaks, butmore bad than good). You know how many games Alou will play, and the Mets have Chavez, Marlon, and even F-Mart to play backup (they have the depth).

Castillo (regardless of how he may LOOK when he runs) is still fast enough to do what he has to do, and is very agile and can play an excellent 2B. Schneiderwas not brought here for his offense (hes our 8th hitter for crying out loud), he was brought it because of his in-game calling and is an upgrade in defense upthe middle compared to Lo Duca last season (plus he's a great influence on the pitchers). Anderson Hernandez can't even hit a softball.
laugh.gif

I don't know how you can say its "worse than Kazmir" when Milledge hasn''t even proved ANYTHING yet, but he's no longer a Met now soI could care less what he does (same with Kazmir...all I can do is wish them a successful career).

Offense wasn't even an issue after Castillo arrived here, he's a legit # 2 hitter who takes pitches and does what it takes to move runners over. TheMets even set franchise records on offense last season during the bad stretch, it was the health of the pitchers (Wagner, Duque, etc were ALL OUT) that endedup blowing up in their faces because the pen was worn down since no starter could even go further than 5 innings.

With an ace like Johan Santana here to alleviate the pressure (Mets have 5 starters with ERA's below 4),a healthy Duancer Sanchez/Padilla, and the additionof Wize in the pen.....the pitching is A LOT stronger overall.

I'd rather have an excellent pitching staff over an "all-star at every position lineup" ANY DAY...that's what gets you wins.

I never said i wanted an "all-star at every position". I want a young team that is exciting and dynamic. Instead we get old, boring"Willie-ball". And instead of having a team that could win and keep on winning for years to come, they trade them and get players in here to try andwin now. And it NEVER works.

I understand your frustration, but the team they have RIGHT NOW is good enough to make the playoffs and WIN if they can get healthy at THE RIGHT TIME.

I don't care if they win the division, or the wild card, the goal is to make the post season and go deep.

They won't have to face the sick AL teams like Boston, Indians, Tigers, etc.....until the World Series (if they make it that far).

The Mets are a VETERAN team, not OLD. If there's one thing the Mets have done lately, its draft good quality players (even since Steve Phillips has beenhere). Just becuse the farm system has been gutted (we still have Pelfrey, F-Mart, etc) doesn't mean they can't build it rather quickly (Omar doesemphasize that aspect).

Even the Diamondbacks gave up EVERYBODY in their system for Haren, but it was a move they had to make and now they'll contend for the National League title(same as the Mets will this year). The Mets had holes to fill and they did so with some of their moves, so your going to have to give up prospects (and that isall they are, JUST prospects).

Just let the season pan out, no point in criticizing everything when you have yet to see how the team plays this year. I'm very excited to see the pitchingthis season (I prefer to win games 3-1 than 10-
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I understand your frustration, but the team they have RIGHT NOW is good enough to make the playoffs and WIN if they can get healthy at THE RIGHT TIME.

I don't care if they win the division, or the wild card, the goal is to make the post season and go deep.

They won't have to face the sick AL teams like Boston, Indians, Tigers, etc.....until the World Series (if they make it that far).

The Mets are a VETERAN team, not OLD. If there's one thing the Mets have done lately, its draft good quality players (even since Steve Phillips has been here). Just becuse the farm system has been gutted (we still have Pelfrey, F-Mart, etc) doesn't mean they can't build it rather quickly (Omar does emphasize that aspect).

Even the Diamondbacks gave up EVERYBODY in their system for Haren, but it was a move they had to make and now they'll contend for the National League title (same as the Mets will this year). The Mets had holes to fill and they did so with some of their moves, so your going to have to give up prospects (and that is all they are, JUST prospects).

Just let the season pan out, no point in criticizing everything when you have yet to see how the team plays this year. I'm very excited to see the pitching this season (I prefer to win games 3-1 than 10-
glasses.gif

You're right. I'll just let the season pan out but i'm still mad.

But what good is a farm system if they trade them all away? Especially for mediocre players? Santana is a no brainer but Ryan church and Brian Schneider? cmon.Milledge didnt prove anything in the ML but his credentials speak for themselves. He's hit everywhere hes been and once he played everyday, he would begreat.

The D-Backs had a veyr young team already so they could afford to trade prospects. Plus they got a ton of talent in return. We trade prospects and getmediocrity. Which is why this team will always be 2nd class.

But whatever, i'll watch but won't expect much.

Back
Top Bottom