[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

Even the Diamondbacks gave up EVERYBODY in their system for Haren
They didn't give up their top prospects to get Haren. The D'Backs system is still deep, one of the biggest pieces given up in the Harendeal was Chris Carter, and they got him when they dealt Carlos Quentin to the White Sox. It was a surprising deal since Billy Beane went for quantity and notquality, which is unusual for a Billy Beane deal.

Mets in the World Series.

If I were a betting man, I'd book it.
Depends on the odds,
laugh.gif

They have a good chance, but I wouldn't book anything, the season is too long and the Mets are a bit on the old side. They have holes and questions justlike any other team.

Pelfrey has looks good in his 2 starts so far, today he topped out at 96 and broke a couple of bats...and that breaking ball has led to nothing but ground outdground outd ground outs.

3 scoreless innings, 0 BB, few hits.

Good job by Pelfrey, looks like he's a lock to be the 5th starter since Duque can't seem to get healthy. I'm not gonna hold out hope that we seemuch of him this year, bullpen or not.

I wouldn't say LOCK because he still has a lot to prove (to the non believers especially), but Duque is an extremely effective pitcher when healthy.

But you know Duque will get hurt eventually (if it were my choice I wouldn't even let him pitch until September), so Pelfrey will have his time to shine.

In the long run he will make the staff that much better.

I agree. Duque is more of "safe" pick, but we need Pelfrey to get in a groove because Duque will almost certainly be injured come September.

Man oh MAN I can't wait for the season to start. Does anyone have any info about season tix for 2009?

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I wouldn't say LOCK because he still has a lot to prove (to the non believers especially), but Duque is an extremely effective pitcher when healthy.

But you know Duque will get hurt eventually (if it were my choice I wouldn't even let him pitch until September), so Pelfrey will have his time to shine.

In the long run he will make the staff that much better.

Um, but isn't Duque basically not healthy enough to even throw at this point? Do you really expect him to be ready to start a game in a month? Idon't.

Duque injured and getting healthy mid-season > Duque getting hurt in September when the Mets need him most (for 2 yrs straight).

question for mets fans:

assuming ryan church is healthy, which he is not right now, how do you guys see him doing stats wise?

Duque injured and getting healthy mid-season > Duque getting hurt in September when the Mets need him most (for 2 yrs straight).

But that's my point. Dude is nowhere near ready to pitch...so doesn't that make Pelfrey a lock to be the 5th starter? I don't understand whatyou're missing, is there someone else who you think can step up? It seemed like it was between Duque & Pelfrey.

CHECKOUTMYGRILL, I see Church batting .270 with 18-20 homeruns and 70-75 RBIs (if he actuallyplays all year), but that's the most I see him doing. We shall see.

DDOT: I get what you mean, if Duque is hurt from Day 1 then Pelfrey will def get the nod.

Mets at the plate: Top prospect Fernando Martinez doubled in the second inning, eventually scoring on a Raul Casanova double play. Outfielder Angel Pagan continued his torrid spring with yet another hit, pushing his Grapefruit League average to .429. He eventually gave way to Ezequiel Carrera, who tied the game with a single in the eighth. Anderson Hernandez won it on a walk-off single down the line in the ninth

Mets on the mound: Johan Santana's second Mets appearance was more successful than his first by no small margin. Pitching three innings and relying more on his changeup and slider, Santana allowed only one run to a Dodgers lineup composed mainly of regulars. Reliever Steven Register continued his impressive spring with two more innings of shutout ball, bringing his spring total to four. Fellow bullpen hopeful Joe Smith found more trouble in his one inning, but escaped to pick up the win.

very true...him getting hurt down the stretch was really bad for us and hopefully if he is healthy he can really help us late in the season

Mets' Alou to miss Opening Day after hernia surgery

ESPN.com news services

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets left fielder Moises Alou will have surgery for a hernia and miss the start of the season. The oft-injured Alou left spring training camp Wednesday and was sent back to New York for tests on his sore right groin. He is scheduled to have the surgery on Thursday. Alou is expected to resume baseball activities in four to six weeks, making it likely he'll be sidelined for at least most of April. MLB.com reported on Wednesday that Alou was injured in a spring game against Atlanta on Monday. "After the game, he felt it more and more," Mets general manager Omar Minaya said, according to the Web site. "He felt some more discomfort [Tuesday], and [Wednesday] he also felt discomfort." The 41-year-old Alou batted .341 with 13 home runs and 49 RBIs in 87 games last season, when he missed a long stretch of games with a quadriceps injury. "We came into the season with a track record of Alou, knowing that Alou was going to give us a certain amount of games," Minaya said, according to MLB.com. "We felt that the number of games he was going to give us would be very productive games, and I think that bore out last year."

I rather him miss the last 4-6 weeks of the season. But I'm sure Mets fans are not surprised by this....

The two Carlos's are back for today's game vs. Boston (Santana to start, nice 1st inning thus far).

1) reyes
2) clark
3) wright
4) beltran (dh)
5) delgado
6 church
7) easley
8*) pagan
9) schneider

Originally Posted by checkoutmygrill

question for mets fans:

assuming ryan church is healthy, which he is not right now, how do you guys see him doing stats wise?

The Xavier Nady of 2006? If the guys in front of him get on base (depends on how Delgado performs), he'll get pitches to hit.

I'm very pleased with the way the Mets overall pitching (starters and pen) has looked this entire spring training. I could care less about what hitters dob\c it only takes em' a week to get a feel for the game, but I was curious to see how Duaner, Johan (just nasty), Pelfrey etc would do, and none havedisappointed.

The season can't come any sooner...the Mets still need a right handed batter for the outfielf or 1st base. The Pirates have confirmed that the Mets hadasked about Xavier Nady, but those kinds of moves are not made until spots are filled. I could imagine it would take a bullpen arm and possibly a player likeGotay, but he's our 2B backup so I wouldn't want to get rid of him.

I got to see Johan pitch again today...
eek.gif

It's gonna be nice to watch him every 5 games.

Originally Posted by redstorm24

whats the deak with this coco crisp to the mets im hearing on mike and the maddog

Coco Crisp to the Mets for Angel Pagan supposedly.

Yeah, I got to listen to the FAN for about 10 minutes in the car today and I heard them mention the possibility of Pagan for Crisp. Pagan could just be havinga good spring, IDK, but it'd be nice to see a former prospect turned returnee to the team do well.

Anyone get to watch the game today? I guess Ollie did well & Duaner got the W even though he gave up a run. I usually catch a few innings 2 or 3 times aweek during "lunch", but not today.

No Coco please. He is terrible.

From the names out there, who should we try and get? Juan Rivera or Randy Winn?

I think Juan Rivera would be a better fit.

Not a big fan of Coco either but he does help defensively (not a problem of the Mets at all).

Anyone watching today's game. Pedro's debut vs. the Tigers stacked lineup went as perfectly as could possibly be for him. He started off the game withprimarily fastballs then mixed in some curve's and changeup's, and pitched very well out of the stretch.

4IP, 58 pitches, 0 runs, 4 K's, 4 hits.

Delgado also got a small gash on his arm being hit by a broken bat while at 3rd....talk about tough luck.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom