610x.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ddot7

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Ralph Kiner sounds like he goes on air after pounding a case of beer.

That's why Ralph Kiner is awesome.

Well, the sad part is that his speech is slurred because I believe he had a stroke. Kiner is extremely knowledgeable, funny and was one of the best young players to have played the game. I want to meet him, for real. He's the kind of dude that when he speaks about baseball, I listen.
A stroke? I thought it was just a speech disorder. Nonetheless, the man is definitely an asset. LOVE listening to him though.
laugh.gif

More Kiner quotes:

[size=-1]"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"[/size] Source: Sports Illustrated (July 5, 1989)

[size=-1]"All of the Mets road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at DodgerStadium."[/size]

[size=-1]"Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat."[/size] Source: Book of Sports Quotes (Bert Sugar)

[size=-1]"[/size][size=-1]Darryl Strawberry[/size] [size=-1]has been voted to the Hall of Fame five yearsin a row."[/size]

[size=-1]"Hello, everybody. Welcome to Kiner's Corner. This is....uh.I'm...uh"[/size]

[size=-1]"He's ([/size][size=-1]Bruce Sutter[/size][size=-1]) going to be out of action the rest of his career."[/size] Source: The Sporting News(July 10, 1989)

[size=-1]"If[/size] [size=-1]Casey Stengel[/size] [size=-1]were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave."[/size]

[size=-1]"I think one of the most difficult things for anyone who's played baseball is to acceptthe fact that maybe the players today are playing just as well as ever."[/size]

[size=-1]"It's ([/size][size=-1]Phil Niekro's[/size] [size=-1]knuckleball) like watching Mario Andretti park a car."[/size]

[size=-1]"[/size][size=-1]Jose DeLeon[/size] [size=-1]on his career has seventy-three wins andone-hundred and five rbi's."[/size]

[size=-1]"[/size][size=-1]Kevin McReynolds[/size] [size=-1]stops at third and hescores."[/size]

[size=-1]"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."[/size]

[size=-1]"On Fathers Day, we again wish you all happy birthday."[/size]

[size=-1]"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."[/size]

[size=-1]"[/size][size=-1](Don) Sutton[/size] [size=-1]lost thirteen games in a row without winning aballgame."[/size]

[size=-1]"The hall of fame ceremonies are on the thirty-first and thirty-second ofJuly."[/size]

[size=-1]"The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning."[/size]

[size=-1]"The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home recordin baseball."[/size]

[size=-1]"This one deep to right and it is way back, going, going, it is gone, no off of the top ofthe wall."[/size]

[size=-1]"There's a lot of heredity in that family."[/size]

[size=-1]"[/size][size=-1]Tony Gwynn[/size] [size=-1]was named player of the year forApril."[/size]

[size=-1]"Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The other third is coveredby[/size] [size=-1]GarryMaddox[/size][size=-1]."[/size]

[size=-1]"You know what they say about Chicago. If you don't like the weather, wait fifteenminutes."[/size]

48 games left, do they have another run in them despite the battered bullpen and injuries? I would hope so.

90 games will probably win this division, the Mets would have to go 30-18 the rest of the way.

I still believe 2 NL east teams will make the playoffs.

I don't see the Cards and Brew crew having enough to seal the wild card and Dodgers don't seem to have enuff to get close

NOTHING would make me feel better about last year's collapse than a Mets- Phillies NLCS and we beat them and celebrate at Citizens Bank
pimp.gif

Well, if the Mets want to win 90 games and go 30-19 the rest of the way 9which is really not that difficult to do), they need to step up vs the cellar teams.

Just look at the teams they face this month:

[table][tr][td]8/8[/td] [td]Friday[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/9[/td] [td]Saturday[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/10[/td] [td]Sunday[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]1:10 PM[/td] [td]CW11[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/12[/td] [td]Tuesday[/td] [td]@ Washington[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/13[/td] [td]Wednesday[/td] [td]@ Washington[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/14[/td] [td]Thursday[/td] [td]@ Washington[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/15[/td] [td]Friday[/td] [td]@ Pittsburgh[/td] [td]7:05 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/16[/td] [td]Saturday[/td] [td]@ Pittsburgh[/td] [td]7:05 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/17[/td] [td]Sunday[/td] [td]@ Pittsburgh[/td] [td]1:35 PM[/td] [td]CW11[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/18[/td] [td]Monday[/td] [td]@ Pittsburgh[/td] [td]12:35 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/19[/td] [td]Tuesday[/td] [td]Atlanta[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/20[/td] [td]Wednesday[/td] [td]Atlanta[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/21[/td] [td]Thursday[/td] [td]Atlanta[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/22[/td] [td]Friday[/td] [td]Houston[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/23[/td] [td]Saturday[/td] [td]Houston[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/24[/td] [td]Sunday[/td] [td]Houston[/td] [td]1:10 PM[/td] [td]CW11[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8/25[/td] [td]Monday[/td] [td]Houston[/td] [td]7:10 PM[/td] [td]SNY[/td] [/tr][/table]
Florida and Houston won't be easy but those are home games and the Mets have the 2nd best home record in baseball.

They need to take advantage of this "easy" stretch and win say....12 games out of the 17.....if they want to win this division. Plus they play Phillyafter wards and they've had no problems with them all season.

They have a burtal last week of the season (Cubs/Marlins)...but thankfully home games.

If the pen steps up and has another good stretch in them, then yeah they will make a run....if not then I don't think they will make it. The one thing Ihave been impressed by is that even when the pen blows games the Mets don't seem to distraught over it, they simply bounce back and win the next day (withthe exception of the Houston series).

But anyways, tonight's lineup:

Reyes, ss
Murphy, lf
Wright, 3b
Delgado, 1b
Beltran, cf
Tatis, rf
Easley, 2b
Schneider, c
Perez, lhp

I think with Murphy, we finally have a #2 hitter who is patient enough with a good eye so Reyes can do his business, then he can also at the very least getReyes to 3rd or even get him in with a hit. keep Murphy at #2 for the rest of the year.
pimp.gif

EDIT: Brian Stokes will be making his Mets debut tomorrow night against Scott Olson.....I saw him when he pitched for TB , he has pretty good stuff

Originally Posted by ddot7

Ralph Kiner sounds like he goes on air after pounding a case of beer.

That's why Ralph Kiner is awesome.

Well, the sad part is that his speech is slurred because I believe he had a stroke. Kiner is extremely knowledgeable, funny and was one of the best young players to have played the game. I want to meet him, for real. He's the kind of dude that when he speaks about baseball, I listen.
A stroke? I thought it was just a speech disorder. Nonetheless, the man is definitely an asset. LOVE listening to him though.
laugh.gif

Keith would love me because I carry a Keith Hernandez and Ralp Kiner baseball card in my wallet. I got them from a give away back in the 06 and just keptthem.

Keith would love me because I carry a Keith Hernandez and Ralp Kiner baseball card in my wallet. I got them from a give away back in the 06 and just kept them.
[Keith]What are you nuts?[/Keith]

2 Things

1. I like how Jerry left Ollie in to finish the inning.... i hate the way Willie used to take a pitcher right out after 1 measley hit after the starter hadbeen dominating such as perez was tonight.

2. Way to go Ollie!! your manager shows faith in you and u reward him. thats wat i wanna see!!
pimp.gif

ok bullpen, let's reward Ollie with a W

Heilman with a pleasant surprise tonight. And Ollie has looked pretty damn good for a couple of weeks now. His consistency has been his only problem thisyear(and it's been a big one) but he has stepped it up major lately.

Let's steal one tomorrow with this dude Stokes on the mound. Get him some run support and let's see what he can do.

Back
Top Bottom