Official N.Y. Yankees 2011 SEASON THREAD y-(97-65) Vol. We'll be in the Off-season thread =/

Originally Posted by bkmac

Oh yeah, briannnnn, good read
pimp.gif
1ac254f66bc225da8bd648d04f34baa61cec2f3.jpg

Appreciate it.
pimp.gif

Because I have nothing better to do on a #ForeverCerone Saturday night (technically early Sunday morning if you are into semantics)...
[h3]Yankeetorial: Here's a staggering concept: What if we just kept our prospects and supplemented the lineup with free agents?[/h3]
Posted byel duqueat10:00 AM

It's a ridiculous thought, eh?

Instead of annually trading the guts of our farm system for former all-stars that other organizations have, for undisclosed reasons, decided to jettison...

Instead of regularly needing to prove how much smarter our front office is than their counterparts from other teams...

Instead of constantly needing to dominate the back pages of the NY tabloids...

What if we just kept Jesus Montero, our best young pitchers and the prospects who regularly grow up through our system -- the Ian Kennedys, the Austin Jacksons, etc?

Seeing that we would save enormous sums of money during their first few years, does it stand to reason that we could easily buy the extra studs and the spare parts needed via free agency?

Hello? Does this make sense?

I'm not saying we don't trade Wilson Betemit for Nick Swisher. I'm not saying we don't move a minor leaguer for a pennant run in August.

But whenever a Francisco Lirano or a Javier Vazquez or a Randy Johnson or a Kevin Brown goes on the market, are we mandated by law to trade our top prospects for the guy? Or are we bound by statues to never believe that, at age 24, a kid like Ivan Nova might just improve into the pitcher we need?

Today, throughout the Yankiverse, we can hear the train whistle a-blowing... Dellin Betances and Andrew Brackman to Minnesota... and they'll be with the Twins for the next five years, while we get one for Lirano.

Trading our youth just seems like a heroin fix for a junkie who is always vowing to quit tomorrow. 

At some point, do we ever have faith in our system? Or is it all about being able to rib Theo Epstein at the next charity golf event?

For once, have we the guts to hold our cards?

Because I have nothing better to do on a #ForeverCerone Saturday night (technically early Sunday morning if you are into semantics)...
[h3]Yankeetorial: Here's a staggering concept: What if we just kept our prospects and supplemented the lineup with free agents?[/h3]
Posted byel duqueat10:00 AM

It's a ridiculous thought, eh?

Instead of annually trading the guts of our farm system for former all-stars that other organizations have, for undisclosed reasons, decided to jettison...

Instead of regularly needing to prove how much smarter our front office is than their counterparts from other teams...

Instead of constantly needing to dominate the back pages of the NY tabloids...

What if we just kept Jesus Montero, our best young pitchers and the prospects who regularly grow up through our system -- the Ian Kennedys, the Austin Jacksons, etc?

Seeing that we would save enormous sums of money during their first few years, does it stand to reason that we could easily buy the extra studs and the spare parts needed via free agency?

Hello? Does this make sense?

I'm not saying we don't trade Wilson Betemit for Nick Swisher. I'm not saying we don't move a minor leaguer for a pennant run in August.

But whenever a Francisco Lirano or a Javier Vazquez or a Randy Johnson or a Kevin Brown goes on the market, are we mandated by law to trade our top prospects for the guy? Or are we bound by statues to never believe that, at age 24, a kid like Ivan Nova might just improve into the pitcher we need?

Today, throughout the Yankiverse, we can hear the train whistle a-blowing... Dellin Betances and Andrew Brackman to Minnesota... and they'll be with the Twins for the next five years, while we get one for Lirano.

Trading our youth just seems like a heroin fix for a junkie who is always vowing to quit tomorrow. 

At some point, do we ever have faith in our system? Or is it all about being able to rib Theo Epstein at the next charity golf event?

For once, have we the guts to hold our cards?

[h2]Spring decision: Opening Day roster[/h2]
It’s one thing to list the Yankees decisions heading into spring training. It’s another to predict which decisions might present themselves in the next month and a half. Someone could be injured. Someone could become available on the trade market. Someone could emerge as a surprising candidate who forces new decisions and hard choices.

We go into spring training with expectations. And we accept that unexpected situations might change everything.

Ultimately, the Yankees most significant task this spring is to prepare itself for the regular season. That means keeping players healthy, getting everyone in game shape and putting together an Opening Day roster.

One day before camp opens, here’s my guess at the 25 players who will break camp heading for New York.

Lineup
Derek Jeter SS
Nick Swisher RF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Jorge Posada DH
Curtis Granderson CF
Russell Martin C
Brett Gardner LF

No surprises among the names listed. The most significant lineup decision is whether to keep Jeter in the leadoff spot, and I’ll guess that The Captain will show enough in spring training to earn the benefit of the doubt and the chance to prove last season was a fluke. Not certain it will stay this way — a leadoff platoon between Jeter and Gardner wouldn’t surprise me — but I think the Yankees will open this way.

Bench
Francisco Cervelli C
Andruw Jones OF
Eric Chavez 3B/1B
Ramiro Pena SS/2B

If he shows anything in camp, I think Chavez — because he’s a left-handed hitter and because he’s insurance at third base — will be given a chance to open the season with the team. It could be a Morgan Ensberg situation that doesn’t last, but a healthy and productive Chavez fits very well on this roster.

If Chavez is backing up at third base, the Yankees might as well carry the defensive-minded Pena instead of the prospect Eduardo Nunez to get very occasional starts at shortstop. My guess is that player development will be a determining factor in the backup catcher competition. The Yankees will prefer to have Jesus Montero and Austin Romine playing everyday in the minors rather than coming off the bench in New York.

Rotation
CC Sabathia
A.J. Burnett
Phil Hughes
Freddy Garcia
Ivan Nova

I really wanted to shake up the system here and predict either Hector Noesi making the rotation or the Yankees pulling off a late-spring trade for a fourth starter.

In the end, I decided to go with conventional thinking. I do think Noesi could make a serious run at a rotation spot, and I don’t think a trade is out of the question, but these five are the most logical choices given the current situation. At best, I’m 20 percent confident that this will actually be the Yankees rotation on March 30.

Bullpen
Mariano Rivera
Rafael Soriano
Dave Robertson
Joba Chamberlain
Pedro Feliciano
Boone Logan
Sergio Mitre
– Romulo Sanchez —

Assuming they’re all healthy, I can’t think of a logical reason any of the first seven pitchers listed would be left out of the Opening Day bullpen. The top six are natural choices, and Mitre is the best fit as the long man (assuming the rotation that I’ve predicted). But I also think a nagging injury could present itself, and given this bullpen depth, the Yankees could convince themselves to be extra cautious. No sense risking anything when there are this many good arms ready to fill a short-term void. That’s why I think Sanchez might sneak into the Opening Day mix if any of the above is even slightly less than 100 percent.

[h2]Spring decision: Opening Day roster[/h2]
It’s one thing to list the Yankees decisions heading into spring training. It’s another to predict which decisions might present themselves in the next month and a half. Someone could be injured. Someone could become available on the trade market. Someone could emerge as a surprising candidate who forces new decisions and hard choices.

We go into spring training with expectations. And we accept that unexpected situations might change everything.

Ultimately, the Yankees most significant task this spring is to prepare itself for the regular season. That means keeping players healthy, getting everyone in game shape and putting together an Opening Day roster.

One day before camp opens, here’s my guess at the 25 players who will break camp heading for New York.

Lineup
Derek Jeter SS
Nick Swisher RF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Jorge Posada DH
Curtis Granderson CF
Russell Martin C
Brett Gardner LF

No surprises among the names listed. The most significant lineup decision is whether to keep Jeter in the leadoff spot, and I’ll guess that The Captain will show enough in spring training to earn the benefit of the doubt and the chance to prove last season was a fluke. Not certain it will stay this way — a leadoff platoon between Jeter and Gardner wouldn’t surprise me — but I think the Yankees will open this way.

Bench
Francisco Cervelli C
Andruw Jones OF
Eric Chavez 3B/1B
Ramiro Pena SS/2B

If he shows anything in camp, I think Chavez — because he’s a left-handed hitter and because he’s insurance at third base — will be given a chance to open the season with the team. It could be a Morgan Ensberg situation that doesn’t last, but a healthy and productive Chavez fits very well on this roster.

If Chavez is backing up at third base, the Yankees might as well carry the defensive-minded Pena instead of the prospect Eduardo Nunez to get very occasional starts at shortstop. My guess is that player development will be a determining factor in the backup catcher competition. The Yankees will prefer to have Jesus Montero and Austin Romine playing everyday in the minors rather than coming off the bench in New York.

Rotation
CC Sabathia
A.J. Burnett
Phil Hughes
Freddy Garcia
Ivan Nova

I really wanted to shake up the system here and predict either Hector Noesi making the rotation or the Yankees pulling off a late-spring trade for a fourth starter.

In the end, I decided to go with conventional thinking. I do think Noesi could make a serious run at a rotation spot, and I don’t think a trade is out of the question, but these five are the most logical choices given the current situation. At best, I’m 20 percent confident that this will actually be the Yankees rotation on March 30.

Bullpen
Mariano Rivera
Rafael Soriano
Dave Robertson
Joba Chamberlain
Pedro Feliciano
Boone Logan
Sergio Mitre
– Romulo Sanchez —

Assuming they’re all healthy, I can’t think of a logical reason any of the first seven pitchers listed would be left out of the Opening Day bullpen. The top six are natural choices, and Mitre is the best fit as the long man (assuming the rotation that I’ve predicted). But I also think a nagging injury could present itself, and given this bullpen depth, the Yankees could convince themselves to be extra cautious. No sense risking anything when there are this many good arms ready to fill a short-term void. That’s why I think Sanchez might sneak into the Opening Day mix if any of the above is even slightly less than 100 percent.

--- New NYY uniform numbers of note: Chavez 12, A Jones 18, Prior 22, Belliard 26, Soriano 29, Feliciano 31, Garcia 36, Colon 40, Martin 55,
Cervelli uniform number change to 17.

--- Sabathia on how he lost 25 lbs: "I stopped eating Cap'n Crunch every day. ... I used to eat that stuff by the box."

--- Joe Girardi to speak at 11am

--- SI's Jon Heyman is saying Joba looks bigger... "not saying jobas fat, but he looks like he may have swallowed one of the clubhouse kids"

--- New NYY uniform numbers of note: Chavez 12, A Jones 18, Prior 22, Belliard 26, Soriano 29, Feliciano 31, Garcia 36, Colon 40, Martin 55,
Cervelli uniform number change to 17.

--- Sabathia on how he lost 25 lbs: "I stopped eating Cap'n Crunch every day. ... I used to eat that stuff by the box."

--- Joe Girardi to speak at 11am

--- SI's Jon Heyman is saying Joba looks bigger... "not saying jobas fat, but he looks like he may have swallowed one of the clubhouse kids"

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

CC Sabathia has just said he won't opt out at the end of this year.

http://content.usatoday.c...ees-weight-capn-crunch/1He changed his tune... SMH"The New York Post's Joel Sherman notes that Sabathia's tune changed a bit today on the opt-out concept. Rather than reiterate that he plans to play out all seven years on his deal, Sherman notes, Sabathia now says that "anything is possible in a contract.""

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

CC Sabathia has just said he won't opt out at the end of this year.

http://content.usatoday.c...ees-weight-capn-crunch/1He changed his tune... SMH"The New York Post's Joel Sherman notes that Sabathia's tune changed a bit today on the opt-out concept. Rather than reiterate that he plans to play out all seven years on his deal, Sherman notes, Sabathia now says that "anything is possible in a contract.""

5132988.jpg

C.C. Slimbathia
grin.gif

Happy pitchers and catchers Team Yankees! Isn't it lovely that it's almost 60 degrees in NY right now
pimp.gif

5132988.jpg

C.C. Slimbathia
grin.gif

Happy pitchers and catchers Team Yankees! Isn't it lovely that it's almost 60 degrees in NY right now
pimp.gif

not feeling our rotation. its gonna be a long season. might head up to fenway for a game this year

not feeling our rotation. its gonna be a long season. might head up to fenway for a game this year

Very much down on this team (most likely due to the play of the Knicks and SJU) but were still a playoff team and im sure Cash will make a few deals for some starters. Woouldnt be suprised if this team is radically different from the one we see in September. 93 wins and the wild card.

Very much down on this team (most likely due to the play of the Knicks and SJU) but were still a playoff team and im sure Cash will make a few deals for some starters. Woouldnt be suprised if this team is radically different from the one we see in September. 93 wins and the wild card.

I heard today that C.C. has an "opt out" at the end of the year? 
laugh.gif

Now he loses 30 lbs.? Bawwwwse.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom