Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I'm switching my allegiance, but if OJ and Dwight get to Brooklyn with Deron? Awesome.

I'm going to need Juice to somehow come to the Lakers...KB lite

man if juice goes to the nets......

Deron
OJ
Brooks
Humpy
D12

eek.gif
pimp.gif

ill officially take back the nets as my team
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i just wish they had better jerseys
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I wonder what Mo Will got for agreeing to that trade? No way I'd want to go to Utah over LA. LA has the better team, the better climate, the better coach, the better women....

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I wonder what Mo Will got for agreeing to that trade? No way I'd want to go to Utah over LA. LA has the better team, the better climate, the better coach, the better women....

this.

it was a 8.5M option and he is 30..... maybe he knew he couldn't command more in a long term deal? idk
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SHUGES

It was either 8.5 mil in Utah (which he wasn't gonna get on the open market) and an increased role vs. going into the unknown with a lengthier contract but less $$$ next year. No-brainer IMO.

I'm sure there's a few Becky's in Utah that get around. And VDN isn't exactly putting on a coaching clinic in LA...

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

oj to chicago!
Chill, that's not a good look. OJ wouldn't survive in the Chi.

Mo should've went to the Lakers.

Originally Posted by MMG

man if juice goes to the nets......

Deron
OJ
Brooks
Humpy
D12

eek.gif
pimp.gif

ill officially take back the nets as my team
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i just wish they had better jerseys
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I doubt they hold on to Brooks in a deal for D12. Having Wallace at the 3 would be great if they can re-sign him, though. Do they have cap room for to add Juice, D12 and re-up Hump/Wallace?

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

You know what Utah does have over Los Angeles? A starting job for him.

I guess.... Are Devin and Hayward both returning?

Not just a starting gig, but just enough talent on that team to get him enough shots and attention.

Also, Corbin > VDN anyday.

Derrick Favors should get plenty of opportunities for blocks with Al Jefferson and Mo Williams playing "defense".

Saw the NBA facebook page post this.... made me smile
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Brian Cardinal of the Dallas Mavericks teamed up again on June 27th with Sanofi US Diabetes and American Diabetes Association for a Dribble to Stop Diabetes FIT Clinic at New Camp Horizons South in Dallas, TX! 

To learn more, visit Dribble to Stop Diabetes here:http://on.nba.com/NEjrZI

545402_10150964663288463_1886489171_n.jpg

Guys I think will be traded in the next month or so....Iggy, Josh Smith, Tyreke Evans, Thad Young, Jamal Crawford, Pau Gasol, Wes Matthews, Al Jefferson or Milsap, Jarrett Jack or Vasquez, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Devin Harris, Kyle Lowry and Tayshaun Prince.

[h1]Goodbye, Lamar; hello, Deron?[/h1]
Spoiler [+]
It's a testament to how disappointing Lamar Odom was in Dallas that the Mavericks are breathing a sigh of relief because they successfully gave him away for free.

Dallas agreed to trade him to the Clippers for nothing -- absolutely, positively, nothing. Because the Mavs have cleared the $2.4 million guaranteed portion of Odom's salary off their books for the coming season, they still come out ahead on the deal. Combined with a draft-day deal that sent out Kelenna Azubuike and his guaranteed $1 million-plus (although it's baffling why Dallas guaranteed this in the first place), the Mavs head into free agency with $8.5 million in cap space.

That number can quickly double should the Mavs need it to, which they will to lure free-agent target Deron Williams or even perhaps Plan B, Steve Nash. Dallas can exercise its amnesty rights on Brendan Haywood's contract to clear $8.3 million, waive the partially guaranteed Vince Carter to free up another $1.1 million, dump Brandan Wright to free up $1 million more, or donate youngster Dominique Jones or Rodrigue Beaubois to another franchise ($1.2 million each). A million here, a million there -- pretty soon, you're talking real money. And max-level cap space.

[+] Enlarge
Soobum Im/US PresswireMo Williams' one-year deal fits perfectly for the Jazz.

No matter how you slice it, however, it's extremely tight for the Mavs unless they use their amnesty rights on Haywood and trade Shawn Marion for peanuts. But the big-picture math is that they can create enough space to get one max-contract free agent -- and nothing more -- if it's important enough to them. Not having to pay Odom was a crucial part of that strategy.

The Clippers' end of the deal is the more interesting one because L.A. rolled the dice. In order to parlay their considerable backcourt depth into some frontcourt quality, the Clips sent Mo Williams to Utah and take in Odom. The theory is that Odom will play considerably better once he's back in Los Angeles, but one must also consider other possibilities -- that he suddenly got old or lost his passion for the game.

Nonetheless, it's a one-year deal, and the Clippers can bring Odom back with Bird rights if he plays well. Given his professed love of L.A., Odom is a limited flight risk as an unrestricted free agent, something that couldn't be said of Williams. Even if Odom is the least bit rejuvenated with the Clips, having a backup big who can actually score once in a while should be a major improvement. Plus, the Clippers didn't have a lot of room for Williams with Chris Paul and Eric Bledsoe both playing the same position.

For L.A., then, this deal clears an item from its offseason checklist and allows the Clippers to use their exception money on wing players -- historically, a much easier area to fill with lower-salaried players.

But the big winner here is Utah, which gets Williams for free. It's tough to beat that price. For that, the Jazz can thank Billy King -- who traded for a finished Mehmet Okur shortly after the lockout last year and gave Utah a $10.89 million trade exception. Williams' $8.5 million salary fits neatly into that exception, and since he's on a one-year deal, it keeps the Jazz's books pristine after this season. Utah will have just four players under contract and a jaw-dropping $40 million in cap room.

For the short term, Williams is a possible upgrade on Devin Harris as a starter and a certain improvement over the Jamaal Tinsley-Earl Watson contingent that backed Harris up. Additionally, Williams can play some 2 and provides the shooting-starved Jazz with some much-needed 3-point shooting.

All told, it's a decent piece of opportunism from the Clippers and a spectacular one from Utah. Nonetheless, all eyes will be on Dallas. If the Mavs get Deron Williams, this trade is a home run.

If not, it's more ho-hum.

Pro shares. I have no idea how that writer came up with us having only 8.5 million in cap space. I'm stumped.

Assuming the cap next year is 59 million, and we pick up all our team options, we got about 14 in cap space.

Dont pick up VC, thats 16 million. Let Wright go, 17 million.

Trade Jones or Roddy, plenty of room. No need to waste our amnesty yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom